Can Leon be a #1 back?

PS17

Thomas Jones is considered old for a running back so I don't see him being productive more than 2 years down the road...have any of you guys thought of Leon trying to be a #1 back again? He has improved each year since joining the team. Your thoughts...

Thomas Jones is considered old for a running back so I don't see him being productive more than 2 years down the road...have any of you guys thought of Leon trying to be a #1 back again? He has improved each year since joining the team. Your thoughts...

I think so, Mangini doesn't seem to agree.

Doubt it.

I love Leon. If I am not mistaken he is leading the league in total yards. I would like to see him get 4 or so more touches from scrimmage, but if they tried to run him 20+ times he would get beat up, and lose his explosiveness.

I disagree. The dude has enough weight on him he is just short. Which doesn't even matter that much for a RB. He could be the #1 guy or in a perfect world the head of a vicious RBBC tandem. Get a big bruiser like the bus and a guy like neon leon and you would be giving opposing defenses fits. If leon was on the giants right now it would be him and jacobs and they're running game would be up there for GOAT.

Doubt it.

I love Leon. If I am not mistaken he is leading the league in total yards. I would like to see him get 4 or so more touches from scrimmage, but if they tried to run him 20+ times he would get beat up, and lose his explosiveness.

I'm not certain of that. Westbrook is about the same size, and he stays explosive, just has problems with injuries. I believe he is bigger than Dunn or MJD, who've both carried the load.

I see another Turner situation here. Or Lamont Jordan. We can't really know what Leon can do because he never gets a chance. So far every time he's had the ball 20+ times he's notched 100+ yards and still performed very well. I'd rather he be taken off punt and kick returns, and those 10 touches or so are instead offensive touches.

leon could be our reggie bush......but this CS is just too stupid to use the players it has to their advantage. just like fat boy force-fed the 3-4 to team full of players who weren't a good fit for it...wasted 2 years and when he finally got his players he still sucks at making the scheme work.

I'm not certain of that. Westbrook is about the same size, and he stays explosive, just has problems with injuries. I believe he is bigger than Dunn or MJD, who've both carried the load.

I see another Turner situation here. Or Lamont Jordan. We can't really know what Leon can do because he never gets a chance. So far every time he's had the ball 20+ times he's notched 100+ yards and still performed very well. I'd rather he be taken off punt and kick returns, and those 10 touches or so are instead offensive touches.

one of the only reasons I wanted us to keep Jmiller. Leon has talent. PERIOD. You put him out there. He could do great if given an opportunity. He is better than Reggie Bush. Also the same weight being 4 inches shorter. So I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

one of the only reasons I wanted us to keep Jmiller. Leon has talent. PERIOD. You put him out there. He could do great if given an opportunity. He is better than Reggie Bush. Also the same weight being 4 inches shorter. So I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Quoted NFL heights and weights are a joke. He sure as hell doesn't look anywhere near as stout as MJD to me. I don't think he is necessarily too small to get a bunch of carries, but if you've seen him pick up a blitz you know he's probably not big enough to do it full time.

im going to answer this question with an example from the Bears.

The Bears didn't have a true #1 WR this year... so what did they do but convert Devin Hester to WR from KR.

Hester has been adequate if not good at offense but tentative on returns. He's not the same level of impact player.

So to answer the original question, can Leon Washington be a #1 back? the answer is YES (and if thomas Jones got hurt we'd find that out first hand) but would he be as impactful or explosive of a player? My guess is NO.

The Bears didn't have a true #1 WR this year... so what did they do but convert Devin Hester to WR from KR.

Hester has been adequate if not good at offense but tentative on returns. He's not the same level of impact player.

So to answer the original question, can Leon Washington be a #1 back? the answer is YES (and if thomas Jones got hurt we'd find that out first hand) but would he be as impactful or explosive of a player? My guess is NO.

i'm sorry but that logic doesn't make much sense. it's like the argument that the qb who kinda sucks right now is gonna be great cause his stats are similar to elway's rookie stats.

Quoted NFL heights and weights are a joke. He sure as hell doesn't look anywhere near as stout as MJD to me. I don't think he is necessarily too small to get a bunch of carries, but if you've seen him pick up a blitz you know he's probably not big enough to do it full time.

It's true he sucks on blitz pick-up. But is that the only reason why you would say he couldn't do it. If so, I say you still put him in there and you scheme a way to pick up blitzes.

This is flawed. Devin Hester was switching positions and a complete unknown. Leon is a RB and the argument is that since he is so great when getting so few carries do you think he will be just as great with more carries. Two totally different and unrelated scenarios.

This is flawed. Devin Hester was switching positions and a complete unknown. Leon is a RB and the argument is that since he is so great when getting so few carries do you think he will be just as great with more carries. Two totally different and unrelated scenarios.

completely flawed

It's true he sucks on blitz pick-up. But is that the only reason why you would say he couldn't do it. If so, I say you still put him in there and you scheme a way to pick up blitzes.

give me a break. no way can mangini scheme that.....he's having a hard enough time trying to figure out how to get a pass rush more than twice a game.

ill put this another way

Leon had 1 carry for 47 yards yesterday.

it's not like if they gave him a 2nd carry he'd have another 47 yard run... it's not like they forgot to use him.

meanwhile Thomas Jones is working over the defense all day long, Leon does returns and occasional screens, draws... and he explodes because he is fresh.

Look at the stats Leon leads the league in plays over 40 yards - that doesn't mean the coaches are misusing him. It actually means the coaches are using him the right way.

If the Jets used Leon 30 times a game he'd get banged up and not be as productive or impactful.

ps - Kick Returner and Running back are NOT the same positions. if he does more of one he does less of another

Why do we need him on blitz pickup? You people act like TJ is great at blitz pickup, when he's probably even worse than Leon. Warrick Dunn sure as hell doesn't pick up blitzes. Most NFL RBs are awful at it, all they'll do is chip. There's Portis who is leagues above everyone else, and then maybe a few decent ones, and everyone else is really bad at it. Ever seen LT pick up a blitz? I swear you'll lyao.

I agree... One of the only things Mangini's doing right is the way he's using Leon. He couldn't do what Jones does. Pounding defenses and wearing them down is part of a running back's job description and not part of what Leon brings to the table. What's the point of even trying it?

I love Leon and I hope he stays a Jet forever. Sadly I don't think that'll be the case.

so you think it's a good idea to give probably our most explosive playmaker 1 touch the entire game?

No, but go ask the Bears if moving Devin Hester to receiver has been a good idea? His punt returns are way down. His TDs scored is way down. His YPC is slightly down.

How much of Leon's effectiveness would be diminished if he was a full time back? Getting pounded 15-25 times a game. Having to block fulltime.

He might be more valuable being a change of pace back and the all around threat he is versus getting 300 carries a year.

I don't think Leon should be the #1..I actually like his role right now. Kick returner and big play guy. I don't think you should over work guys like this....remember Devin Hester from the Bears? He was a kick return MACHINE and now they try to add in a big WR job and

now all of the sudden he can't do anything real well.

No, but go ask the Bears if moving Devin Hester to receiver has been a good idea? His punt returns are way down. His TDs scored is way down. His YPC is slightly down.

How much of Leon's effectiveness would be diminished if he was a full time back? Getting pounded 15-25 times a game. Having to block fulltime.

He might be more valuable being a change of pace back and the all around threat he is versus getting 300 carries a year.

Which is why is was dumb to cut justin miller who could have stepped into that return role.

I think he could and always have. I think he could develop into a Brian Westbrook type player, which is high praise but everything I see from him merits that kind of comparison. The guy is our X-factor, he is what teams fear the most and yet he's getting one ****ing carry a game. ****ing disgraceful!

Archived