Jauron's call wasn't terrible

bitonti

let's think this thru...

at 2:06 they have 2nd and 5. if they run and get stopped it's 3rd down at 2:00 warning. they run again and get stopped it's 4th down and Jets take time out.

That leaves the Jets 1:50 ish, 1 time out and Brett Favre to drive for a FG to tie.

Brett Favre makes that drive in his sleep.

people say Jauron gave the game to the Jets, that assumes that the defense was done, that they wouldn't have stopped them on 2nd and 3rd down. in previous years I would agree that's a good assumption but this year, with this defense, they will make those stops. they've done it in previous games, they were very capable of doing it in this game.

the proof of that is the 2nd down strip sack, that wasn't the look of a defense ready to give up 5 yards on 2nd down.

my point? it's easy to say Jauron was a fool but he could have called 3 runs and still be called a fool... with people wondering why didn't he just pass for a first down to end the game.

by the way the passing to end the game play is a bellichek staple. Many of the so called great coaches in the league make that call all the time. Jauron got unlucky with the execution of the play but the call itself wasn't terrible.

one last thing, if you insist on believing the call was bad, that the Jets didn't deserve to win, you are engaging in depressing thoughts for no real reason, you should look in the mirror or get some therapy. They are 9-5 and in control of the AFC East with 2 very winnable games to play. If you want to be depressed, right now, maybe you'll never be happy and should stop watching football. Because things aren't as cut and dried as they seem.

let's think this thru...

at 2:06 they have 2nd and 5. if they run and get stopped it's 3rd down at 2:00 warning. they run again and get stopped it's 4th down and Jets take time out.

That leaves the Jets 1:50 ish, 1 time out and Brett Favre to drive for a FG to tie.

people say Jauron gave the game to the Jets, that assumes that the defense was done, that they wouldn't have stopped them on 2nd and 3rd down. in previous years I would agree that's a good assumption but this year, with this defense, they will make those stops. they've done it in previous games, they were very capable of doing it in this game.

the proof of that is the 2nd down strip sack, that wasn't the look of a defense ready to give up 5 yards on 2nd down.

my point? it's easy to say Jauron was a fool but he could have called 3 runs and still be called a fool... with people wondering why didn't he just pass for a first down to end the game.

by the way the passing to end the game play is a bellichek staple. Many of the so called great coaches in the league make that call all the time. Jauron got unlucky with the execution of the play but the call itself wasn't terrible.

one last thing, if you insist on believing the call was bad, that the Jets didn't deserve to win, you are engaging in depressing thoughts for no real reason, you should look in the mirror or get some therapy. They are 9-5 and in control of the AFC East with 2 very winnable games to play. If you want to be depressed, right now, maybe you'll never be happy and should stop watching football. Because things aren't as cut and dried as they seem.

OMG

Bills averaged 5.8 per carry R U f'n nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let's think this thru...

Bit, God love yah, but man- are you a "homah!" One of the dumbest play calls ever and even worse execution.

Of course the Jets deserved to win, however. A winner takes advantage of the other teams brain farts. That is what the Jets did.

Bit, God love yah, but man- are you a "homah!" One of the dumbest play calls ever and even worse execution.

Of course the Jets deserved to win, however. A winner takes advantage of the other teams brain farts. That is what the Jets did.

Jets are in that situation, run every play and don't get a first down and Mangini gets crucified for "not stepping on their throat".

I think Jauron called it on second down because of the clock and because there was some surprise to the Bills running there.

Jets are in that situation, run every play and don't get a first down and Mangini gets crucified for "not stepping on their throat".

I think Jauron called it on second down because of the clock and because there was some surprise to the Bills running there.

You fail to appreciate just how bad JP Losman is, and how we were completely unable to tackle Lynch (or Jackson for that matter) to that point.

I agree with bit..

Didn't mind the call at all since the 2:00 warning was coming any way. Losman should've thrown that ball away (which he actually tried to do, albeit to late)

Jauron was trying to end the game right there....

if Losman completes that pass for a first down the game is over

just the same as if Thomas Jones picks up 4th and 2.

a coach aggressively trying to end the game is usually not a bad call. it's unfortunate when it doesn't work but that's second guessing after the fact.

let's think this thru...

I'll agree with you...a run or an incomplete pass off the roll out in that situation gets to the two-minute warning...if they complete the pass and get a first down the game is basically over. Losman did not secure the ball. Unfortunately, Jauron will take the heat (maybe lose his job) from Bills fans for calling the "wrong play" that gave us game.

At the time I thought the poor call belonged to Mangini. I thought it unwise to use our timeout at 2:06. We only saved six seconds. Thought we would have been better served to let it count down to two-minute warning. Who knows if the Bills call that play if it was after the two-minute warning.

Hats off to Elam for the strip and was happy that Ellis was ready for the scoop/score. We never know how "lady luck" may influence the players. Sometimes a lucky bounce provides some momentum to turn their fortunes around. Make them think fate is on their side so to speak. We can hope so.

The takeaway for me is...I was glad to see the defense make a play that led to a victory...their confidence was shot after getting booed (deservedly) off the field after allowing the Bills to run right over us on the previous score. Maybe Sutton will learn that this team plays better when attacking the offense rather than the crappy, passive ole (O-lay) defense.

a coach aggressively trying to end the game is usually not a bad call. it's unfortunate when it doesn't work but that's second guessing after the fact.

back to your draft board...i hope R44 is still doing the detail work

The jets D was gassed and lynch was carrying 4 guys on his back the

whole 2nd half.

I'll agree with you...a run or an incomplete pass off the roll out in that situation gets to the two-minute warning...if they complete the pass and get a first down the game is basically over. Losman did not secure the ball. Unfortunately, Jauron will take the heat (maybe lose his job) from Bills fans for calling the "wrong play" that gave us game.

At the time I thought the poor call belonged to Mangini. I thought it unwise to use our timeout at 2:06. We only saved six seconds. Thought we would have been better served to let it count down to two-minute warning. Who knows if the Bills call that play if it was after the two-minute warning.

Hats off to Elam for the strip and was happy that Ellis was ready for the scoop/score. We never know how "lady luck" may influence the players. Sometimes a lucky bounce provides some momentum to turn their fortunes around. Make them think fate is on their side so to speak. We can hope so.

The takeaway for me is...I was glad to see the defense make a play that led to a victory...their confidence was shot after getting booed (deservedly) off the field after allowing the Bills to run right over us on the previous score. Maybe Sutton will learn that this team plays better when attacking the offense rather than the crappy, passive ole (O-lay) defense.

They would not have called the play after the two minute warning. Jauron said in an interview that the reason he called the play was a run play would have only used 6 +- seconds.

Jauron will take the heat, and probably lose his job, but the real dope was Losman. He was told before the play, if it isn't open, throw it away immediately. He tried to make a play on his own, and failed

let's think this thru...

I'll argue both sides, although I think the call was bad. 2:06 left.. if the play takes < 6 seconds, and the ball is incomplete, the jets get a free timeout.

However, being close to the 2:00, the likelihood of it only taking 5 seconds was not great because of the rollout.

Look, run the ball there and make us waste our timeouts.

They would not have called the play after the two minute warning. Jauron said in an interview that the reason he called the play was a run play would have only used 6 +- seconds.

Jauron will take the heat, and probably lose his job, but the real dope was Losman. He was told before the play, if it isn't open, throw it away immediately. He tried to make a play on his own, and failed

read my lips

It was a dumb and stupid call, if jills were struggling running the ball it is

one thing, when they were avg 5.8 per carry it is beyond stupid!!!!

I'll argue both sides, although I think the call was bad. 2:06 left.. if the play takes < 6 seconds, and the ball is incomplete, the jets get a free timeout.

However, being close to the 2:00, the likelihood of it only taking 5 seconds was not great because of the rollout.

Look, run the ball there and make us waste our timeouts.

Isn't that the point of the rollout? Takes up time and he can just heave it into the stands because he's out of the pocket? Bad call? Sure, but not the inconceivably bad call everybody here is pretending it was.

Bit, IMHO, the problem is you are going from a strength (i.e. running the ball) to a weakness (passing the ball).

I understand your point.

YJF on the 'other' jets board made a smart point

the timeout at 2:06 may have saved the game

because it gets Jauron thinking about passing, knowing that the clock will stop at the 2 minute warning... with 2 time outs - the Jets defense gets a rest they are likely to stop that run - the announcers were talking about 'but that only saves 6 seconds' - in reality it was a very smart use of time out.

Bit, IMHO, the problem is you are going from a strength (i.e. running the ball) to a weakness (passing the ball).

I understand your point.

that's true but I've seen the Pats run that same play call a million times, Brady was the master of passing to end the game. It's not as outlandish a play call as people make it out to be... the problem for the Bills was execution obviously, but the call was sound.

because it gets Jauron thinking about passing, knowing that the clock will stop at the 2 minute warning... with 2 time outs - the Jets defense gets a rest they are likely to stop that run - the announcers were talking about 'but that only saves 6 seconds' - in reality it was a very smart use of time out.

oh really...just like we stopped them inside 10

you are a funny one

watch the freakin game again!!

that's true but I've seen the Pats run that same play call a million times, Brady was the master of passing to end the game. It's not as outlandish a play call as people make it out to be... the problem for the Bills was execution obviously, but the call was sound.

Brady vs. Losman- who do you trust and who do you not trust to make a play at the end of the game?

Yeah. I didn't get them complaining about that either. It's not how many seconds you save, it's how many plays have to be run in the remaining time that matters.

The time out there was the right call to think otherwise is absurd. The saving six seconds comment makes no sense as it simply traded a play for a timeout.

Since the Jets only hope was to stop them on third down (so that's the only time we could've "Wasted" 6 seconds), if we examine both scenarios without anything strange happening, lets see where we end up..

Call time out # 1 at 2:06.

- 2nd Down, Buffalo runs into line and 2 minute warning

- 3rd Down, Buffalo runs into line and Jets call time out # 2 with 1:52 left

Net result Bills punt with 1:52 left and Jets have 1 timeout

Let clock run down to 2:00 warning

- 2nd Down, Buffalo runs into line and Jets call time out #1 with 1:52 left

- 3rd Down, Buffalo runs into line and Jets call time out #2 with 1:46 left

Net result Bills punt with 1:46 left and 1 timeout

Calling the timeout also allows for the chance that Buffalo runs a play that takes less the 6 seconds and you call another time out, leaving even more time on the clock.

It's amazing to me how many NFL announcers and coaches don't understand what the end game is all about, you trade plays for timeouts

Isn't that the point of the rollout? Takes up time and he can just heave it into the stands because he's out of the pocket? Bad call? Sure, but not the inconceivably bad call everybody here is pretending it was.

Yes, and that's why I argued both sides.... I agree.. bad call but not like oh my god lose your job bad call.

Didn't they just run for a 1st down? Didn't they just run for 5 yards on 1st down? Didn't they run for 180 plus yards in the game? Didn't they run for somewhere close to 6 yards per carry for the game? Didn't JP Losman manage only like 50 yards passing in the 1st half?

Yes passing there was a good call. For the Jets.

I agree with Bit.

I know the Bills were averaging big yards against us on the ground but when one team assumes you will run it three times in a row it tends to open up the pass. Not to mention, why in gods name would Bob Sutton send Elam on a blitz if he thought it were a pass? Sutton clearly got fooled by the play call or else he would have dropped everyone into coverage like the coward that he is.

We got luck that elam was sent on that blitz, god knows it would have never happened had the Jets expected a pass.

Lets not fire Bob Sutton, let's kill him. Like two days ago...

Can't compare the two. Pats, with Brady (with Cassel too) are a pass first team. Plus - as you stated, Brady was a master. Losman - not so much.

It would not have been a terrible call if you had a competent QB, but i do not put the game in Losman's hands there especially the way we had no answer for Lynch......

The other reason i did not like the call from the Bills standpoint is even if they did not make it our offense had been inept for the entire 2nd half......No first downs in the 4th quarter and before the last drive after we went ahead the Jets ran 9 plays for about 10 yards in those 3 possessions.....

You're comparing Brady to Loserman? You're comparing the pats to the jills? Are you high?

let's think this thru...

:rl: Boy are you in the minority, especially if you could listen to the talk here in Buffalo. 2 days later and it's STILL the lead story on the news on each channel. They want Jaorons hide.

:rl: Boy are you in the minority, especially if you could listen to the talk here in Buffalo. 2 days later and it's STILL the lead story on the news on each channel. They want Jaorons hide.

too bad they just extended him to 2011. Jauron will be in Buffalo longer than the Bills will be in Buffalo.

Archived