No cake for you! Store won't serve 3-year-old 'Adolf Hitler Campbell'

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-uscake1218,0,6702187.story

43996011.jpg

A three-year-old boy named Adolf Hitler Campbell had to get his birthday cake out of state, after a local supermarket refused to spell out his name on a cake for his birthday party last weekend.

A story in a local newspaper prompted an outpouring of angry online responses directed at Heath Campbell, 35, and his wife Deborah, 25.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in

Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," he continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite in Greenwich, just east of downtown Phillipsburg on the western edge of New Jersey. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

The Campbells ultimately got their cake inscribed at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically either. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

43996011.jpg

A three-year-old boy named Adolf Hitler Campbell had to get his birthday cake out of state, after a local supermarket refused to spell out his name on a cake for his birthday party last weekend.

A story in a local newspaper prompted an outpouring of angry online responses directed at Heath Campbell, 35, and his wife Deborah, 25.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in

Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," he continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite in Greenwich, just east of downtown Phillipsburg on the western edge of New Jersey. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

The Campbells ultimately got their cake inscribed at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically either. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

WTF.. his parents ought to be stripped of parental duties

bad enuff naming kid Adolf, but to add Hitler as middle name??????

If the present or future ever finds using the name Adolf Hitler in anything but the most derogatory terms, then we as a civilization are truly doomed.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

i am at a loss for words.

How cute.

Some people think that anything offensive makes them though-provoking and more enlightened.

If they love the name so much, then why don't one of the parents change their own names instead of subjecting an innocent kid to it? Why not give the name the kid [N-word] Hater Campbell. Aw, it's just a name...

Friggin' animals.

How cute.

Some people think that anything offensive makes them though-provoking and more enlightened.

If they love the name so much, then why don't one of the parents change their own names instead of subjecting an innocent kid to it? Why not give the name the kid [N-word] Hater Campbell. Aw, it's just a name...

Friggin' animals.

That's what I've always found amazing.

Our society may have gone a bit too far with the whole PC thing, but now people use that as an excuse to be complete and utter douchebags.

And then, when you call them on their douchebaggery, they claim you're too PC, and stand behind their first amendment right, neglecting the fact that calling them on the aforementioned douchebaggery is protected not only by your first amendment right, but also by modern day law (right Aten?) as the truth is absolute defense of libel.

I don't wish harm on the boy, but if he gets his ass kicked every day in school, I certainly wont feel remorse.

And Jet Moses is dead on, it's a self-serving publicity stunt. Obviously it worked.

Our society may have gone a bit too far with the whole PC thing, but now people use that as an excuse to be complete and utter douchebags.

And then, when you call them on their douchebaggery, they claim you're too PC, and stand behind their first amendment right, neglecting the fact that calling them on the aforementioned douchebaggery is protected not only by your first amendment right, but also by modern day law (right Aten?) as the truth is absolute defense of libel.

I don't wish harm on the boy, but if he gets his ass kicked every day in school, I certainly wont feel remorse.

And Jet Moses is dead on, it's a self-serving publicity stunt. Obviously it worked.

Perfect word for the situation. Nice work. :cheers:

Let me break it down for you---

PC has created a public environment where douchebags are encouraged to be offensive, and if you do or I say anything, then you are the bigot.

Scaramouche will you do the Fandango!

Those poor Kids.

The names are bad enough, but now they learn life through the actions of their Parents.

The standard for right and wrong has been lowered, even removed. People have lost all foundations for discernment because they have been told over and over again that everything is morally relative.

Then you add to that a lack of self respect , cognitive dissonance and common sense, and you get people like this who think they are being clever with this sort of nonsense.

How far out of your way do you have to go to say "LOOK AT ME! I'M A F'N AS*HOLE!"

How cute.

Friggin' animals.

Can't someone people just be offensive because they're dicks? That is the reason why I do it. **** being thought-provoking and enlightened. I just like pissing people off.

Have you ever been to walmart ? Nuff said.

Plenty of times and I'm usually the only white/American person there.

It's America equal rights is equal rights not equal when you agree with it. The parents no matter how ****ed up have the right to name their kid what ever they want. How many black kids are named or change their names to a Muslim name that might offend people. As an in individual in this country you can do stupid things that you think are right as along as you don't break any laws. As a public organization you can't unless it doesn't offend the main stream. American Indians have been complaining for years about names of sports teams but no one cares because it's a small group without much political power.

If you want our so called freedom then you have to deal with **** that you don't agreed with. That being said the parents should change their own names so the kids don't have to grow up with that kind of pressure on them.

Also it's funny that people whine about racist stuff against blacks and Jews (mostly) but could careless about what is said or happens to gays or lesbian because they don't agree with what they are. You can't have your cake and eat it to people, you either want total freedom or you don't. It doesn't only work when you agree with it.

our country elects someone with the middle name "hussein", but won't serve someone with the name adolf hitler. go figure. :rolleyes:

sometimes i need to remind myself how young you are.... :shock:

the kids name is adolph hitler .. the president elects middle name is hussein .. not saddam hussein if that is what you are referring to.

also saddam was an evil evil man.. but he wasnt anything like hitler who was evil beyond compare.

just not the same thing.

:rolleyes:

and yeah this thread will get locked soon

Archived