Your families Christmas/Hanukkah Traditions

SouthernJet

What do y'all do for Xmas/Hanukkah on a yearly traditional basis??

Me?

- I always read Night Before Christmas on Xmas eve..

- on Xmas morning as we open gifts we always open Champagne and sip while opening gifts

- I always tease as soon as we sit down to eat and ask one of my kids to please say Grace..as they fumble I laugh and proceed to do myself..

- and after Xmas dinner we always go out as a family for a xmas movie..

I wanted The Curious Case of Benjamin Button but at 2 hours 40 minutes, that might be too long after a big dinner..so the womenfolk have asked for Marley & Me..thats cool..lighthearted and fun...

Have a GREAT Holiday season to one and all.......

medium_daytinytim1225.jpg

My mom buys all of us the same pajamas, last year is was the grinch pajamas, word is this year she found adult sized onesies, you know, the ones little kids have with the feet. We get those the night before and everyone has to wear them opening gifts in the morning. After that we have a HUGE breakfast, eggs, french toast, hash browns, sausage, canadian bacon, fresh biscuits, fresh ham, fresh baked sticky buns. Than later we have a whole big italian spread with the antipasto and then some kind of pasta and meat.

SJ, I like your idea with the champagne, I may change that though and make it mimosas instead.

cool thread sj.

now that kids are older a few traditions have fallen.

used to sneak outside & ring bells after puttin kids down & mrs would go in & ask them if they could hear them.

used to stay up til way late & put the presents out. then me & the mrs would exchange a gift & watch white xmas

now we all watch it on xmas eve & all exchange 1 gift.

baileys in my 1st cup of coffee every xmas morning.

Call home at 7 sharp when family gathers at moms house. gonna have to break that tradition as well. rip mom.

we celebrate boxing day here & go boating & have lunch @ kaibo every year

My mom buys all of us the same pajamas, last year is was the grinch pajamas, word is this year she found adult sized onesies, you know, the ones little kids have with the feet. We get those the night before and everyone has to wear them opening gifts in the morning. After that we have a HUGE breakfast, eggs, french toast, hash browns, sausage, canadian bacon, fresh biscuits, fresh ham, fresh baked sticky buns. Than later we have a whole big italian spread with the antipasto and then some kind of pasta and meat.

SJ, I like your idea with the champagne, I may change that though and make it mimosas instead.

that pajama tradition is pretty cool :cheers:

ya we like it,,actually we found Wilson Creek Winery's Almond Champagne , a very tasty different type of champagne thats isnt expensive,,for those who dont like the champagne taste,,try this its great..actually JGBs discovered on a trip to Wine Country with wifee

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=wcw12345&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=605892360&Count2=523032784&CategoryID=4&Target=products.asp

Now that I'm older, and my younger brother is 22, we do the presents on Christmas Eve. That's nothing special for alot of families.

On the 23rd of December, my family does something different. What we do is pick names out of a hat and whoseever name you pick, is who's present you pick out for them to open. That way, they don't necessarily go for the big box or anything like that.

The first year I got a ****ty set of pajamas, my brother got a billy joel box set which he was psyched about, and my mom ended up with basically her big present, a matching earrings and necklace.

After that first year, its been a pretty cool thing, and a easy way to sneak a present in for yourself a day early.

cool thread sj.

now that kids are older a few traditions have fallen.

used to sneak outside & ring bells after puttin kids down & mrs would go in & ask them if they could hear them.

used to stay up til way late & put the presents out. then me & the mrs would exchange a gift & watch white xmas

now we all watch it on xmas eve & all exchange 1 gift.

baileys in my 1st cup of coffee every xmas morning.

Call home at 7 sharp when family gathers at moms house. gonna have to break that tradition as well. rip mom.

we celebrate boxing day here & go boating & have lunch @ kaibo every year

very cool JW,,before champagne, i also have my coffee with a tad of kahula added ..

we also used to put all presents out after kids went to bed so when they awoke they saw all presents..

- when kids got to be all old enuf to know no santa claus and old enuf where u ended up givin sweaters/CDs etc, AND after all work u put in , they ripped open stuff and said 'thanks, i am goin to friends and play football etc' we came up with this....

we said 'ok, u can have seatwers/CDs stuff like that that u get anyways durin year OR we can put money gift aside and we can take a week at DisneyWorld at Polynesian Resort..only catch was we had to be there xmas day (i didnt want to do disney, get home a few days before xmas and be forced to do gifts anyways) ...

we did that for quite afew years when they were older and they LOVED it..we ende dup giving one gift easch, but they always said 'every day is a great gift' (they knew thye would basically get what they woulda got on xmas later in year ;))..

I basically got aweek at Polynesian cheap, cause if I stayed home with 3 kids and wife I owuld have spent XXX amount on gifts, this way we applied that amount to vacation. So the delta over what we spent on gifts was basically a cheap vacatoion ,,

and dont worry about disney when crowded,,more fun that way,,if u know what u r doin its ez..plus they stay open for on property guests till 1 AM when crowded, so its empty then and disney at nite is best,,uncrowed times of yar they close early..

but it was great,,disneyworld at xmas is so decorated and cool,,if u stay on propery like we did at Polynesian, they have carolers srolling teh hotel, eggnog out all the time, they had stuffed stockings out for kids on xmas mornin.. we actually felt more christmasy during that week then the 1 day rush at home,,and NO shoppin in advance, etc..

we stayed late in park, polynesian was on monorail route so kids could come and go as they please while wife and i were at bar,,took midnite swinms as family together every nite with xmas songs playin in background,,it wa scool..

we got the concierge rooms at Pl;oynesian so we had a open bar the whole time and a open appetixer nad dessert bar also avaiale (JGBs will tell you about the open bar :confused:)..

just a idea for those of u with older kids,,I owuld never do this while a kid still believed in santa,,the magic of goin to sleep in your bed on xmas eve waitin for santa and then runnin down to see th etree should never be missed... but when older , its a cool way to keep family together..

Heathen.

on hanukkah we use to hide the presents ( when our daughter was young) but we do light multiple menorahs and then each pick a candle and guess which one will burn the longest. :D

we always make latkes! and they are deeeeeeeeelish!

on christmas we do the typical jewish thing.. chinese and a movie :lol:

The tradition kind of changed over the years as family relocated a bit. But the past few years here is what it looks like:

Christmas Eve at the NJ Shore with Uncle Tony and family at his daughters house.

Christmas Day with the kids opening gifts, we (Santa I mean) really tries to spoil them. Our stair case is at the back of the house. When you are walking down the stairs, you can't see the living room until you are basically in the living room. So they wait on the stairs until the video camera is ready. Their reaction is what makes it all worthwhile.

They open gifts, we put stuff together and then have breakfast. After that we go to my parents house (local). My family is all there -- the kids get spoiled some more.

Then (no and then, no and then) it is off to Pa for my wife's parents. A few hour drive, we normally get there at night and sleep over.

More family Christmas parties over the next two weeks (big family). :-P It is Christmas until about February.

Great thread SJ!

So they wait on the stairs until the video camera is ready. Their reaction is what makes it all worthwhile.

Forgot about that since kids are older now..but thats is the BEST tradition.

Nothing beats the kids expressions and capturing on video..

That reminds me , I need to transfer those old VHS before they rot out........

This tradition is forever,,I still remember my 1st bike and seeing it under tree..My parents always told me the expression lasted with them forever..

Forgot about that since kids are older now..but thats is the BEST tradition.

Nothing beats the kids expressions and capturing on video..

That reminds me , I need to transfer those old VHS before they rot out........

This tradition is forever,,I still remember my 1st bike and seeing it under tree..My parents always told me the expression lasted with them forever..

you mean you didn't search thru every nook and cranny in the house?

I remember me and bros, camping out in the hallway..getting up at 3am

and sneaking down the stairs.....only to hear Get the Phuck to bed!!!!!!!!!!

Only tradition is Beef Stroggie on Xmas eve and streak and lobstah on

Xmas day. and the kids still open 1 gift on xmas eve.

you mean you didn't search thru every nook and cranny in the house?

I remember me and bros, camping out in the hallway..getting up at 3am

and sneaking down the stairs.....only to hear Get the Phuck to bed!!!!!!!!!!

Only tradition is Beef Stroggie on Xmas eve and streak and lobstah on

Xmas day. and the kids still open 1 gift on xmas eve.

I assume that the Get the Phuck to bed was from Santa.......

santa_2.jpg

Highlights of my family are:

-Fresh Bagels purchased Christmas morning. Thanks to our Jewish friends for being open!

- Dad's crappy gifts to Mom. He buys 5-10 gifts and almost always lousy. It was great fun as kids and even more fun now that we are older.

-off to one of my sister's houses for the annual family fight, children crying, and me drunk playing video games.

we used to go to some friends for a typical italian christmas eve dinner.. seafood and fish galore.. we would bring latkes .. it was totally scrumptious!!!

they dont like us anymore.. so that is in the past.. but it was good while it lasted. :lol:

we used to go to some friends for a typical italian christmas eve dinner.. seafood and fish galore.. we would bring latkes .. it was totally scrumptious!!!

they dont like us anymore.. so that is in the past.. but it was good while it lasted. :lol:

Italians do have a nice spread

when you move to mass, maybe LMS will re-invite you:D

I hope to maintain my xmas tradition of not killling my sister-in-law, but I'm not making any promises.

This will be the first xmas without my mother, so things will be a bit different.

I hear you. I think that for many of our families the holidays depend on a Matriarch. I have 3 brothers and if my mom died we'd probably see a lot less of each other.

I hear you. I think that for many of our families the holidays depend on a Matriarch. I have 3 brothers and if my mom died we'd probably see a lot less of each other.

As long as my dad is around, we'll have some kind of gathering at xmas. This will probably be the last one at the old house, though. He's talking about downsizing. I keep trying to prepare my teenage daughters for the changes coming up in their lives, but I seldom stop to think about the changes in my own.

Italian Christmas Eve Seafood fest is the absolute best. I can't even begin to explain what an incredible spread my aunts puts out - from more seafood dishes you can imagine to the homemade ravioli to the 50 desserts and of course, roasted chestnuts. Wine, beer, cordials...name it, it's there. Eating, drinking, laughing. It's always a good time. Then 'round 11 or so some of us gather for the annual trivial pursuit smackdown. Teams of two. My cousins fiance and I always team up. I'm no dummy. She went to Cornell. :)

Italian Christmas Eve Seafood fest is the absolute best. I can't even begin to explain what an incredible spread my aunts puts out - from more seafood dishes you can imagine to the homemade ravioli to the 50 desserts and of course, roasted chestnuts. Wine, beer, cordials...name it, it's there. Eating, drinking, laughing. It's always a good time. Then 'round 11 or so some of us gather for the annual trivial pursuit smackdown. Teams of two. My cousins fiance and I always team up. I'm no dummy. She went to Cornell. :)

well if you went to real NU, you wouldn't worry bout teaming up;)

heh got some lemonchello on ride to airport,

serve over the rocks?, i couldn't believe how many varieties were sold in NH,

all made in italy. danny devito has one under his name!

well if you went to real NU, you wouldn't worry bout teaming up;)

heh got some lemonchello on ride to airport,

serve over the rocks?, i couldn't believe how many varieties were sold in NH,

all made in italy. danny devito has one under his name!

You drank on the way to the airport? Assmop! I'm shocked!

As long as my dad is around, we'll have some kind of gathering at xmas. This will probably be the last one at the old house, though. He's talking about downsizing. I keep trying to prepare my teenage daughters for the changes coming up in their lives, but I seldom stop to think about the changes in my own.

It seems the years go by faster the older you get and there never is enough time in the day.

Your Mom is looking down glad youre all getting together.

I miss all that. My parents died years ago and the tradition died with them. My wife who is part Polish, English, French, German and Native American is just not into the Italian tradition that I grew up on. I should have carried it on, but I guess I was lazy that way.

We have a good time though...you don't stay married for 33 years without it all being bad...;)

Archived