RIP Sammy Baugh

Blackout

Hall of Fame QB Baugh dead at 94

Associated Press

Updated: December 17, 2008, 9:04 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

ROTAN, Texas -- Sammy Baugh, who set numerous passing records with the Washington Redskins in an era when NFL teams were running most every down, died Wednesday night, his son said.

Baugh, who was 94 and had numerous health issues, died at Fisher County Hospital, David Baugh said.

He was the last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class.

After starring at TCU, "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh played with the Redskins from 1937 to 1952.

While he was noted for his passing, Baugh was one of the best all-around players of his day. One season he led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes.

Wow - Just saw that he passed.

"I didn't know how much pro players were making, but

I thought they were making pretty good money. So

I asked Mr. Marshall for $8,000, and I finally got

it. Later I felt like a robber when I found out what

Cliff Battles and some of those other good players were

making. I'll tell you what the highest-priced boy in

Washington was getting the year before

Sammy Baugh became the first head coach of the New York Titans in 1960, serving for two seasons .

RIP... While your up there please throw in a few good words so as to help us win this year.

And as we learned in that other thread, only Baugh and Parcells left the Jets with a .500 record or higher.

Apparently he was Superman.

And as we learned in that other thread, only Baugh and Parcells left the Jets with a .500 record or higher.

Apparently he was Superman.

In a way, he was.

Sammy Baugh coached an AFL team who's players in that 2nd year had to share taxi's & race from the Polo Grounds to their banks every Thursday - JUST TO CASH THEIR CHECKS BEFORE THEY BOUNCED!

Talk about having problems beyond the field!

Still, he kept the Titans record at .500

The only reason the Sonny Werblin & the "Monmouth 7" didn't keep him for the '63 season was because Weeb's contract with Baltimore had ended prior to their purchase of the Titans from the AFL.

You will be missed 'Slamin' Sammy!

Archived