Brett Favre Press Conference (12/17/08)

Maxman

I love ESPN and the other media outlets focus on the retirement stuff and after reading this he seemed pretty open and honest. Talking about making a mountain out of a mole hill

The media makes a mountain out of a mole hill on this specific subject because that is exactly what Breet Favre has done the last couple of years.

the "will he" or "won't he", the exaggerated drama of timing have all been painfully orchestrated by Brett himself.

jets get eliminated this year, they need to know what they are doing one week later at the qb position. Anything more and they are chumps.

The media makes a mountain out of a mole hill on this specific subject because that is exactly what Breet Favre has done the last couple of years.

the "will he" or "won't he", the exaggerated drama of timing have all been painfully orchestrated by Brett himself.

jets get eliminated this year, they need to know what they are doing one week later at the qb position. Anything more and they are chumps.

I don't agree. The Jets have 3 kids QBs on the roster. So it isn't like they will be drafting a QB either way.

The Packers forced the issue as you suggested the Jets do above. The Packers went from the Championship game to sub .500.

You didn't bring Favre here to force the issue a week after the season ends. The Jets knew this when they traded for him.

I don't agree. The Jets have 3 kids QBs on the roster. So it isn't like they will be drafting a QB either way.

The Packers forced the issue as you suggested the Jets do above. The Packers went from the Championship game to sub .500.

You didn't bring Favre here to force the issue a week after the season ends. The Jets knew this when they traded for him.

The Packers and the Jets situations do not equate. Just because the Packers handled the situation one way, and their record subsequently dipped, does not mean that the Jets will be predisposed to the same circumstance.

There is nothing that you can show being equal.

The point I was trying to make is that the Jets need to be decisive in their qb situation for 2009. They need to know prior to Free Agency and prior to teh draft. It will be important to know how they construct their team.

Something Favre did not give Green Bay teh luxury of, to their detriment.

Let's not make it to the jets dtriment.

The Packers and the Jets situations do not equate. Just because the Packers handled the situation one way, and their record subsequently dipped, does not mean that the Jets will be predisposed to the same circumstance.

There is nothing that you can show being equal.

The point I was trying to make is that the Jets need to be decisive in their qb situation for 2009. They need to know prior to Free Agency and prior to teh draft. It will be important to know how they construct their team.

Something Favre did not give Green Bay teh luxury of, to their detriment.

Let's not make it to the jets dtriment.

The Jets are not going to have that luxury. They knew that before the trade was completed. Brett told them to take this one year at a time.

Not sure how we can't show these as being equal situations. The Packers were terrible this year, the Jets were terrible last year.

The bottom line is the Jets will wait for Brett's answer. That is exactly what they signed up for.

Also I don't agree that the Jets need to be decisive. The games are not won and lost in April.

The Jets are not going to have that luxury. They knew that before the trade was completed. Brett told them to take this one year at a time.

Not sure how we can't show these as being equal situations. The Packers were terrible this year, the Jets were terrible last year.

The bottom line is the Jets will wait for Brett's answer. That is exactly what they signed up for.

Also I don't agree that the Jets need to be decisive. The games are not won and lost in April.

You consider not knowing who your qb is going to be in the upcoming year, not important heading into Free Agency and the Draft? We will have to agree to disagree there.

You say games are not won in April? I vehemently disagree there also. I will tell you that the greatest improvements the Jets made on this current team, as compared to last year's were done in March and April. Prima donna QB nonwithstanding.

Just because Favre likes to create drama, does not mean the Jets have to be part to it. We have lost with him (and I am talking if we do not reach AFC title game), and we can lose without him, or even better yet, win without him and start planning immediately.

You consider not knowing who your qb is going to be in the upcoming year, not important heading into Free Agency and the Draft? We will have to agree to disagree there.

You say games are not won in April? I vehemently disagree there also. I will tell you that the greatest improvements the Jets made on this current team, as compared to last year's were done in March and April. Prima donna QB nonwithstanding.

Just because Favre likes to create drama, does not mean the Jets have to be part to it. We have lost with him (and I am talking if we do not reach AFC title game), and we can lose without him, or even better yet, win without him and start planning immediately.

So the Jets should force him into an answer so that Kellen Clemens knows he is the starter come March?

Instead of waiting and seeing what Brett wants to do in May\June? I would wait, forcing Brett's hand when they just saw this whole thing play out last year would be insanity. Unless they don't want him back. That would be another story.

So the Jets should force him into an answer so that Kellen Clemens knows he is the starter come March?

Instead of waiting and seeing what Brett wants to do in May\June? I would wait, forcing Brett's hand when they just saw this whole thing play out last year would be insanity. Unless they don't want him back. That would be another story.

What will Brett Favre give us next year that he couldn't this year?

The decision fairy will all of a sudden give him pause to think before lofting pop-ups?

The first time you allow a player to hold your franchise hostage, will not be the last.

Why does Brett Favre need more time to make career decisions than 98% of the NFL players?

Max-You run a department. Let's say you have this superstar hot-shot in your department that you have to manage. He is an integral part of your department and a lot of the work runs through him.

He approaches you and says he has another job offer. The money is relatively the same (he is not looking for a big raise or anything), but the commute is less time and he wants to spend more time with his family.

He asks you, what you think and what the company can do for him. You tell him you can give him a few extra incentives, you are happy with him and would like him to stay.

He tells you he needs to THINK ABOUT IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS, and will get back to you at that time.

All the while, you have to meet future quota and projections for your department.

Is that fair to you? Is that fair to the other employees in teh department? Is that the best for teh company? Do you put up with that?

Me, I say GOOD BYE!

Don't think so. It's easy to become cynical in this world of media events and hype, but the fact remains that there are some things which are genuine.

If there is one thing that has been proven beyond doubt for the past 18 years it is that Brett Favre just loves to play football. Deep down in his soul is a 16 year old kid who can't wait to get out on that football field and show what he can do. Favre couldn't fake the emotion and enthusiasm he has displayed over all these years-his love of the game is real.

However, football is a painful sport, and the aches and injuries mount up. Favre has been teeter-tottering between finally giving up what he loves because of the pain, or carrying on for one more season for the past several years. His changes of mind on this is very apparent-he hurts at the end of the season so he announces his retirement, then the next March the closer he gets to his first football season on the sidelines, the more his love of the game takes over and he comes back. At some point he's going to have to throw in the towel, but if I were Favre I would make damn sure that I knew I simply couldn't do it another year before I gave it up.

Don't think so. It's easy to become cynical in this world of media events and hype, but the fact remains that there are some things which are genuine.

If there is one thing that has been proven beyond doubt for the past 18 years it is that Brett Favre just loves to play football. Deep down in his soul is a 16 year old kid who can't wait to get out on that football field and show what he can do. Favre couldn't fake the emotion and enthusiasm he has displayed over all these years-his love of the game is real.

However, football is a painful sport, and the aches and injuries mount up. Favre has been teeter-tottering between finally giving up what he loves because of the pain, or carrying on for one more season for the past several years. His changes of mind on this is very apparent-he hurts at the end of the season so he announces his retirement, then the next March the closer he gets to his first football season on the sidelines, the more his love of the game takes over and he comes back. At some point he's going to have to throw in the towel, but if I were Favre I would make damn sure that I knew I simply couldn't do it another year before I gave it up.

And this decision can't be finalized on Feb 28 rather than May 30? 98% of teh other players do it with far less drama and far less media attention. And don't believe for one second that it is not teh Favre camp that puts these suggestions out to the media of combacks aand indecision.

Total drama. You don't know Brett nor do I , so to say it is "genuine" is pure guessing

well, we sucked last year and in april had no clue who was going to be our qb. Heck, we didn't know who was going to be our qb until we plopped a new guy in there in august and now we are sitting here at 9-5 talking about playoffs. So yeah it would be great to know right now that Favre will or will not be back, but lets not forget that if he waits until june it really is no better than we were last year. Besides, with all the promise Ratliff showed in the preseason and the time they have investing in nurturing CK, do you really think QB would be a big draft day play anyway?

well, we sucked last year and in april had no clue who was going to be our qb. Heck, we didn't know who was going to be our qb until we plopped a new guy in there in august and now we are sitting here at 9-5 talking about playoffs. So yeah it would be great to know right now that Favre will or will not be back, but lets not forget that if he waits until june it really is no better than we were last year. Besides, with all the promise Ratliff showed in the preseason and the time they have investing in nurturing CK, do you really think QB would be a big draft day play anyway?

Most smart teams build their offense around their QB's strengths.

If you are going into a FA or Draft, it sure is nice to know who you are building for.

What will Brett Favre give us next year that he couldn't this year?

Hmm, well I would think a qb with a whole training camp and off season conditioning would be a qb with a much better chance of success than a qb who came out of mini retirement 3 weeks before the season started for a different team in a different conference running a totally different offense than where he was for the last 16 years.

Most smart teams build their offense around their QB's strengths.

If you are going into a FA or Draft, it sure is nice to know who you are building for.

We have a lot of the offensive pieces already regardless of who is back there. Maybe we just need a speedy deep threat, but maybe not if clowney turns out to be the real deal between now and the end of our run this year. Maybe a wrecking ball type back to compliment Leon to lock up rb for a while. Outside of that I think we are working on defense so the QB realy doesn't come very much into play this draft. Besides if we don't have favre I see it as being a competition between KC and Ratliff who seem to be two different kinds of qbs anyway so it isn't like the jets would really know what they are working with even if favre bounced.

The first time you allow a player to hold your franchise hostage, will not be the last.

I think you may have missed it. But this already happened. They sold their soul to get him. When the front office is flying all over the country to court a player before the first pre-season game, it is over.

They planned all off-season as if Chad or Kellen would be the QB. They got to camp and begged Brett to come here. Why you think he wouldn't be afforded extra luxuries this off-season is surprising to me.

I am not saying it is the right thing to do or good for the team. I am saying that is what will happen.

Max-You run a department. Let's say you have this superstar hot-shot in your department that you have to manage. He is an integral part of your department and a lot of the work runs through him.

He approaches you and says he has another job offer. The money is relatively the same (he is not looking for a big raise or anything), but the commute is less time and he wants to spend more time with his family.

He asks you, what you think and what the company can do for him. You tell him you can give him a few extra incentives, you are happy with him and would like him to stay.

He tells you he needs to THINK ABOUT IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS, and will get back to you at that time.

All the while, you have to meet future quota and projections for your department.

Is that fair to you? Is that fair to the other employees in teh department? Is that the best for teh company? Do you put up with that?

Me, I say GOOD BYE!

I had a similiar situation. Someone who works for me, a very important member, said they needed a few things to stay. They obviously had a better offer in pocket.

I looked them in the eye and discussed many of the benefits of the current position. Benefits that I felt would be hard to top anywhere else. I said it is obviously a personal decision you have to make.

That person stayed and has done well here. So the answer is, no, I would not cave in.

Doesn't change the fact, that the Jets caved last August. And the franchise is better for it. So they won't press him on locker clean out day whenever that is. That is just the way it is.

I had a similiar situation. Someone who works for me, a very important member, said they needed a few things to stay. They obviously had a better offer in pocket.

I looked them in the eye and discussed many of the benefits of the current position. Benefits that I felt would be hard to top anywhere else. I said it is obviously a personal decision you have to make.

That person stayed and has done well here. So the answer is, no, I would not cave in.

Doesn't change the fact, that the Jets caved last August. And the franchise is better for it. So they won't press him on locker clean out day whenever that is. That is just the way it is.

I want to work for max, got any job openings?

Whether they are a better team is still open for debate, and yet to be determined. Bringing Favre in was a "win now" declaration, and that does not mean going 1 and done in the playoffs. That is not an improvement for the Mangini regime.

I do appreciate the Tom Shane update, and am glad he is doing well. Give him a "Boy, Howdy" for me.

Whether they are a better team is still open for debate, and yet to be determined. Bringing Favre in was a "win now" declaration, and that does not mean going 1 and done in the playoffs. That is not an improvement for the Mangini regime.

The Jets are better than the were last year. Even if they finish 9 and 7 that is better than 4 and 12. You are what your record says you are.

9, 10 or 11 beats 4.

I want to work for max, got any job openings?

Someday Joe we will start a business. We will hand pick a 3rd partner. Possibly somebody strong in the art of selling like Duane.

We will set out to make millions and achieve world domination. That will be the goal of this business.

The Jets are better than the were last year. Even if they finish 9 and 7 that is better than 4 and 12. You are what your record says you are.

9, 10 or 11 beats 4.

And Brett Favre alone has caused this?

Not Faneca? Not Woody? Not the increased productive Line? Not a better running game that produced a much better running game? Not Richardson? Not Keller?

Not Jenkins? Not Pace? Not an improved run stuff?

Brett Favre is this sole reason?

Not Faneca? Not Woody? Not the increased productive Line? Not a better running game that produced a much better running game? Not Richardson? Not Keller?

I said the Jets are better this year. You said,

"Whether they are a better team is still open for debate, and yet to be determined."
These are two different things. You are wrong though if you think they are going to press Brett for a decision within one week after the season ends. Do they want one? Yes. Would it be in the teams best interests to get one? Yes. Will they do whatever he wants them to do? Yes.

Even if Mangini wanted to demand an answer Woody Johnson would show him the PSL sales #s and tell Eric to simmer down. Brett will answer the question when he is good and ready. Right or wrong that is the way it is going to be.

The Jets could be giving up a 2nd rounder for him. No way they force his hand here.

2 things:

Jets 2007 points scored against per game 22.2

Jets 2008 points scored against per game 22.8

Jets 2007 points per game scored 16.8

Jets 2008 points per game scored 27.5

Ok, first and most clear from these two basic stats, the defense didn't really help us any more this year than last in keeping the other team from scoring. Second, on offense, yes the line is better and yes we have some guys like TJ and Keller getting the job done this year, but it all starts with the QB. Whether or not Favre is throwing the deep ball effectively, the threat of that keeps opposing teams honest in a way they didn't need to against our qbs last year. That opens up everything else. Looking at the way TJ has improved, of course the line is better, but there is no way TJ has this kind of production behind any line when the defense stacks 8 constantly.

At the end of the day, Favre brings a TON of intangibles to this team and that can not be denied.

And this decision can't be finalized on Feb 28 rather than May 30?

No. Because Feb 28 is only 10 weeks or so after his last game, the healing process has not had enough time to enable Favre to make the physical and mental commitment to another season. May 30 is quite a lot more time for the Jacuzzi and private trainers to work their magic.

98% of teh other players do it with far less drama and far less media attention.

98% of the other players are not 39 years old.

And don't believe for one second that it is not teh Favre camp that puts these suggestions out to the media of combacks aand indecision.

Specifics? By now the media does not need suggestions from Favre that he might come back-he retired before and came back, so they know it's a possiblilty.

For that matter, I have read some members of the media refer to Barry Sanders' retirement as a farce, so it's not like writers and sportscasters need help to pump up stories.

Total drama. You don't know Brett nor do I , so to say it is "genuine" is pure guessing

For almost two decades Favre has communicated through every grin and gesture that he absolutely loves playing football. Nobody could fake it for that long. He's been well past the normal retirement age for a few years now. You have to understand what a physical and mental commitment playing football is for a player past 35. In Favre's case, well past 35.

2 things:

Ok, first and most clear from these two basic stats, the defense didn't really help us any more this year than last in keeping the other team from scoring. Second, on offense, yes the line is better and yes we have some guys like TJ and Keller getting the job done this year, but it all starts with the QB. Whether or not Favre is throwing the deep ball effectively, the threat of that keeps opposing teams honest in a way they didn't need to against our qbs last year. That opens up everything else. Looking at the way TJ has improved, of course the line is better, but there is no way TJ has this kind of production behind any line when the defense stacks 8 constantly.

At the end of the day, Favre brings a TON of intangibles to this team and that can not be denied.

You greatly oversimplify things. Last year, teams did not have to score oddles of points on teh Jets, because they could just sit on the ball, because teh Jets did not represent a threat to come back on them. this year, teams are forced to play catch up and the Jets have played prevent as well. there is a differnce there.

Are you counting points scored by defense as points scored also? All the points were not just created by the offense.I am giggling at your 8 in the box statement. The Jets are seeing plenty of that, and that has been stopping their short pass game. The Jets have not really openbed up defenses, nor have the ability to seeem to do it.

When you have to bring up "intangibles' you argument is usually bad.

2 things:

Then how do you explain these stats?

Jets offense - 40 TD, 22 FG, 306 points

Pats offense - 36 TD, 30 FG, 306 points

Is Matt Cassel better than Favre? The reason the Jets have improved so much on offense is because of the revamped o-line and Thomas Jones breakout year.

You greatly oversimplify things. Last year, teams did not have to score oddles of points on teh Jets, because they could just sit on the ball, because teh Jets did not represent a threat to come back on them. this year, teams are forced to play catch up and the Jets have played prevent as well. there is a differnce there.

Are you counting points scored by defense as points scored also? All the points were not just created by the offense.I am giggling at your 8 in the box statement. The Jets are seeing plenty of that, and that has been stopping their short pass game. The Jets have not really openbed up defenses, nor have the ability to seeem to do it.

When you have to bring up "intangibles' you argument is usually bad.

Scott -- still waiting for an answer to my post. The one where I pointed out how YOU said it was up for debate if the Jets were better this year.

But keep throwing out more questions to cover it up. :)

Scott -- still waiting for an answer to my post. The one where I pointed out how YOU said it was up for debate if the Jets were better this year.

But keep throwing out more questions to cover it up. :)

I would consider "better" ensuring a playoff berth. When teh Jets brought Favre in, it was to WIN NOW. If they do not make the playoffs, after adding Favre, after all the other moves they made, this season is an utter disaster.

I have downgraded would they NEED to do from going to teh SB to just making the conference championship game. You don't make a Favre move unless you have those aspirationbs.

You would consider this season a success by losing first round of playooffs? Or merely bettering last year's record? Really?

Sorry I made you wait up.

Archived