JETS CONFIDENT, ARE YOU?...Mike Vaccaro

Jetfan13

MIDWEEK in Florham Park, and there are no signs of distress, no signals of fear and/or loathing. No hint of terror. No trace of fear. There is even the sound of . . . gasp . . . laughter here, deep in the woods of North Jersey.

While JetsNew York Jets t.gif fans sit and shiver and shimmy and shake, waiting for the other shoe to drop (not an unfounded fear because, let's face it, for three weeks shy of 40 years, the other shoe always has dropped), the people who occupy Jets jerseys for a living sure look cheerier than the ones who drop $79.99 for them at Modell's.

"I think that I have to be honest and tell you that I'm really confident, as I should be," said Brett Favre, who has taken in a rodeo or three in his day. "I would hope that if you polled every one of the players in that locker room they would say the same thing. I think confidence is one of the keys to success."

Nobody from Gallup or Quinnipiac was available to process those polls yesterday, but the mood was bright and the outlook sunny, even if the early forecast in Seattle Sunday calls for snow and temperatures in the 20s. Even the coach, not someone you would ever expect to see at New Talent Night at Caroline's, was in an especially chipper mood.

"You can get a nickname one year and get a revised nickname the next year," the coach formerly known as Mangenius said, though to be perfectly accurate he doesn't have a new-nickname problem among Jets fans these days so much as an epithet problem.

That's the way it should be around the Jets, because with two games left in the season, they are exactly where everyone always wants to be this late in any season: in control one's own destiny. This isn't always such a marvelous thing, as evidenced by these two random quotes plucked out of the recent past:

"We are in control of our own destiny." (David Wright, Sept. 25, 2007).

"We have our destiny in our hands." (David WrightDavid Wright t.gif, Sept. 23, 2008).

OK. So maybe those aren't so random. Still, just because the Jets' ancient baseball cousins managed to squander the destiny that was clutched so firmly in their hands the past two years, it is still better to have it than to not have it.

Would you rather be the Jets right now or the Eagles, for instance? It is safe to say that no playoff contender in the AFC has struggled more than the Jets the past three weeks, and Favre has been limping hauntingly toward the finish line. It is safe to say that no contender in the NFC has soared more than the resurgent Eagles the past three weeks, and Donovan McNabb looks as if he has had a Fountain of Youth I.V. installed in his arm.

Yet this is what has to happen for the Eagles to squeeze in the playoffs:

1. They have to beat the Redskins on the road and the Cowboys (who may well be playing a win-and-in game themselves) at home.

2. They need to hope the Bucs lose at home to either the Chargers (unlikely) or the Raiders (impossible).

3. Or they need the Falcons to lose at Minnesota (the best-case scenario of all) or at home to the Rams (and you, me, Serby and eight strangers couldn't lose at home to the Rams).

Out of the question? Of course not. But it will involve two weeks of teeth gritting and two weeks of borrowing the time-honored baseball tradition of scoreboard watching. The Jets? Just win. Twice. And even that's not impossible, because a Ravens loss in the last-ever game at Texas Stadium likely keeps the Jets alive for a wild-card berth even if they fall in Seattle.

The Jets know all of that. They seem confident. They sound confident. "We are confident," Favre said.

Are you?

michael

a team from Miami coming up to NY to play outdoors in early Jan is a great matchup for the Jets, any ways you slice it.

remember miami got off easy playing Bills in a dome in toronto rather than at the Ralph.

this is Miami we are talking about, they aren't winning games in sub-freezing temps, they just aren't.

a team from Miami coming up to NY to play outdoors in early Jan is a great matchup for the Jets, any ways you slice it.

remember miami got off easy playing Bills in a dome in toronto rather than at the Ralph.

this is Miami we are talking about, they aren't winning games in sub-freezing temps, they just aren't.

just like this week in KC. as long as Herm doesn't give it away, the dol-fags lose Sunday

Tampa Bay had NEVER won a game with temps below 40, until they hit Philadelphia in the Championship game 3 years ago, too.

Anything can happen.

I have had my "heart" broken by these here Jets in the past, and I come from a long line of negative Jet fans in my family, and I admit they do make things interesting to say the least, (lose to Oakland, cmon guys) BUT.....We need to be confident, what do we have to lose. Im in the South Florida Jets fan club, and I go watch the games, and theres this Freakin' guy behind me with every damn play he curses out whomever the player is that didnt score a touchdown on every singel play. Cmon guys, we are better than this..we have a good team, we have A coach...a HOF QB, and you know we always beat Miami..even if they were undefeated, we would beat they ass...Now, are we winning the Superbowl, why the heck not..we are capable fo playing a couple of really good games from here on out..so lets dare to be different and stay positive a while...Obviously being negative hasnt worke, cause we have been doing that for years..

Sorry Holmgren, your going away party will not be as you planned..and Miami...concentrate on women with fake boobs and feminine uniforms, cause the Jets got this!

I actually have the opposite feeling, I think if we can get our confidence vs the Shehawks then we will roll as always against the Dolphags:bag:. I am not sure we can get it turned around, the Buffalo should have been that game.

Typically, I agree. When you take into account our recent history against the Fins as well as a cold weather game on the road for them, we should be able to roll. However, I just have a bad feeling about that game with Pennington coming back to the Meadowlands with a point to prove.

Typically, I agree. When you take into account our recent history against the Fins as well as a cold weather game on the road for them, we should be able to roll. However, I just have a bad feeling about that game with Pennington coming back to the Meadowlands with a point to prove.

Screw Pennington, I'm worried about Namath's deal with the devil and how it impacts this game

I understand the angst, but you need bullets in a gun to participate in a shootout.

Remember in the first game under model conditions for Chad, the Jets held him to about 80 yards 0 TDs in 3 quarters. Mangini called for the Jets patented prevent or "Manvent" defense and Chad threw for about 169 yards and 2 TDs in the 4th quarter alone.

Chad definately wants something to prove, but if the Jets play smart and aggressive defense, he lacks the physical ability to prove it.

If the Jets handle the Seahawks (10 or more point victory), I think the Jets roll against the Fins.

I understand your post and I am hoping you are wrong but I have feeling you are not and to add to your angle, Pennington's best pass is the short slant patterns over the middle, when was the last time the Jets stopped a short slant pattern over the middle.

One thing that does give me confidence is that we know have players who have been there before. Guys like Brett Favre, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins. Those guys know how to close out a season and how to push teams to the next level.

This is the time of year where these guys prove they are worth what we gave up to get them. They need to step up and get us into the playoffs.

I understand the angst, but you need bullets in a gun to participate in a shootout.

Remember in the first game under model conditions for Chad, the Jets held him to about 80 yards 0 TDs in 3 quarters. Mangini called for the Jets patented prevent or "Manvent" defense and Chad threw for about 169 yards and 2 TDs in the 4th quarter alone.

Chad definately wants something to prove, but if the Jets play smart and aggressive defense, he lacks the physical ability to prove it.

If the Jets handle the Seahawks (10 or more point victory), I think the Jets roll against the Fins.

True, but Chad has always been able to pick apart bad defenses. If our defense plays up to its potential, we will have no problem shutting him down. However, if we continue to play like we have the past few weeks (no pressure on the QB and weak secondary performance), Chad has the potential to move his offense and control the time of possession.

This game has disappointment written all over it. It's the storybook ending for the "same old Jets" and the "good guy" Chad.

This game has disappointment written all over it. It's the storybook ending for the "same old Jets" and the "good guy" Chad.

EXCEPT you forgot to mention that Chad is playing for the scum bag franchise Miami Dolphins.

That's like St. Peter playing on Satan's Hellfires team in the SFL.

of course I'm confident

the only way the miami game is for all the marbles is if the Jets win this weekend, and they won't let us off that easy

It's not for all the marbles, but I believe the Jets can still back in if they lose to Seattle, Ravens lose to I think the Boys, and the Jets beat the Fish nest week.

It's not for all the marbles, but I believe the Jets can still back in if they lose to Seattle, Ravens lose to I think the Boys, and the Jets beat the Fish nest week.

what about the pats* ?

anyway, if the jets lose to seattle, they aint gonna beat miami, and no way all of those games go our way

Archived