Sources: BoSox close to getting Teixeira

NIGHT STALKER

ESPN.com

Updated: December 18, 2008, 7:08 PM ET

The Boston Red Sox have taken strides toward completing a deal for first baseman Mark Teixeira, major league sources indicated on Thursday evening, to the point that team executives may have face-to-face negotiations with Teixeira's representative, Scott Boras, in the forthcoming hours.

Boras has told teams in recent days that he's "getting close" to resolution in Teixeira's negotiations, and Teixeira was quoted this week as saying he hoped for a conclusion by Christmas. A rival executive involved in the negotiations believes that a Red Sox deal with Teixeira will fall in the range of eight years, for a salary of about $22 million a year.

The Washington Nationals have talked about making a serious overture for Teixeira, but they don't have the promise of being an immediate contender. The Orioles made an initial offer of something in the range of seven years and $150 million, but have not increased that offer, and sources say that unless Teixeira were to suddenl y decide to give Baltimore a major hometown discount, he likely would not be signing with his hometown team. The Yankees have never made Teixeira an offer, despite rampant speculation connecting the Yankees with the slugger.

The Angels have made it clear that Teixeira is their priority throughout the off-season, and may have also made an eight-year offer. The Red Sox, too, have bid aggressively, after having quietly targeted the switch-hitting, Gold-Glove caliber first baseman throughout this entire off-season.

Teixeira, who turns 29 next April, has been among the most consistent hitters in the majors in recent years, thriving when he was traded to contenders twice in consecutive years first, in 2007, to the Braves, and then in 2008, to the Angels. Teixeira batted .358 in 54 games for the Angels, with 13 homers and 43 RBI. When the Angels met the Red Sox in the post-season, Teixeira batted .467 with four walks in four games.

If the Red Sox complete the negotiations for Teixeira, they presumably would shift Kevin Youkilis who finished third in the AL MVP voting in 2008 to third base, and look to deal veteran third baseman Mike Lowell, who is under contract through 2 010. The Red Sox have gauged the market enough to know that they can find a suitable deal for Lowell, if necessary. Boston may decide to keep Lowell into spring training, until they get a read on how effective Ortiz will be going into this season.

The Red Sox became increasingly concerned about the quality of the middle of their lineup through the 2008 season, as David Ortiz struggled to come back from a wrist injury and after Manny Ramirez was traded.

A match of Teixeira and the Red Sox could serve Boras effectively in his work on behalf of another high-profile client, Manny Ramirez. If Teixeira signs with the Red Sox, rather than the Angels, then the Angels will continue to look for another high-caliber hitter, and may have interest in Ramirez who finished the 2008 season gaining immense popularity with the Angels' biggest rival, the Dodgers. If Teixeira lands with the Red Sox, then Boras could foster a bidding war between the Angels owner Arte Moreno and Dodgers owner Frank McCourt. It is unclear whether the Angels would be willing to give Ramirez the kind of long-term deal that Boras has been seeking, but Angels Manager Mike Scioscia spoke glowingly of Ramirez earlier this week in a radio interview.

Peter Gammons and Buster Olney cover the MLB for ESPN.

Yawn

if sox wanted to make a real splash

they would have signed CC

tex is overrated

Pitching wins!!!!!!!!!

:rl:

Beckett, Lester and Dice-K will all be 28 or younger entering 2009. Oh yeah, our closer falls into that category as well.

If Teixera is signed, the pessimist Sox fan wants to see the deal closed (i.e. A-Rod), the line-up is that much better with less holes.

Yawn

if sox wanted to make a real splash

they would have signed CC

tex is overrated

Pitching wins!!!!!!!!!

The Sox didn't want to give a pitcher a 7 year deal. Especially a guy who has weight issues, injury issues, and has struggled in the postseason.

I'm happy with the Sox starting pitchers.

Yawn :P

Hughes? Kennedy? PPPPuuuuhhhhlllllleeeeeaaassssseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been about 10 years since the Yankeees could pass on a player like Dice-K.

If dice-k was a free agent this year; the yanks don't sign him. He wouldn't even be top five free agent pitches this year.

If dice-k was a free agent this year; the yanks don't sign him. He wouldn't even be top five free agent pitches this year.

Dice-K > AJ

Neither of those guys make any kind of cash. You gave a guy 50 mill just to smell his finger.

That is the system. Plus, the Yanks were willing to drop 30+ million for the same pitcher and maybe the should. You might actually get wins from them..

Neither of those guys make any kind of cash. You gave a guy 50 mill just to smell his finger.

Can you please get your facts straight kloogy. The Red Sox paid Dice K's team $50 million for the right to sign him.

That was a good marketing move as the Red Sox are the most popular team in Japan.

Can you please get your facts straight kloogy. The Red Sox paid Dice K's team $50 million for the right to sign him.

That was a good marketing move as the Red Sox are the most popular team in Japan.

I made that argument then and it is still true.

Wasn't that guy they just signed a Dice-K fan growing up?

Sox needed to make a splash in gain a foothold in Asia.

Sushi-K Scares no one

Beckett has had all sorts of issues with injuries....an injury risk is an understatement

I love how you talk about the 5th best dancer/closer being such a stud....with paying Tex, there wil be little to no money for Papsmear

Go for the bats...you're a finger blister away from being in 3d place

AND....who knows what The Big Gorilla will bring to the buffet table this year

Sushi-K Scares no one

Beckett has had all sorts of issues with injuries....an injury risk is an understatement

I love how you talk about the 5th best dancer/closer being such a stud....with paying Tex, there wil be little to no money for Papsmear

No money? Isn't this MLB with no salary cap? I believe the Yankees just made my point by giving an overweight playoff choker pitcher $161 million. Those would be guaranteed dollars.

Have fun with CC. How much did the Yankees give Burnett?

You know why the Red Sox and Mets spend so much (even though it's never close to what the Yankees spend)? Because they have to. The Sox are in the same division and the Mets are in the same City.

No money? Isn't this MLB with no salary cap? I believe the Yankees just made my point by giving an overweight playoff choker pitcher $161 million. Those would be guaranteed dollars.

Sh1thead

Dictionary: Sh1thead

(shĭt'hĕd') pron.gif

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary

n. Vulgar Slang. An inept, foolish, or contemptible person.

WordNet: Sh1thead

Home > Library > Literature & Language > WordNet

Note: click on a word meaning below to see its connections and related words. The noun has one meaning:

Meaning #1: these words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence

Synonyms: dunce, dunderhead, numskull, blockhead, bonehead, lunkhead, hammerhead, knucklehead, loggerhead, muttonhead, ****head

Sh1thead

(shĭt'hĕd') pron.gif

Note: click on a word meaning below to see its connections and related words. The noun has one meaning:

Meaning #1: these words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence

Synonyms: dunce, dunderhead, numskull, blockhead, bonehead, lunkhead, hammerhead, knucklehead, loggerhead, muttonhead, ****head

Did I miss something? You said that the Sox wouldn't be able to afford Papelbon and you call me a ****head?

You are a tool.

Sushi-K Scares no one

Sh1thead

(shĭt'hĕd') pron.gif

8v9yUVgrmPY

How can you call CC a choker

He willed the Brewers to the playoffs

He's a stud, and a workhorse

A choker? Doubt it

I'm talking playoffs. Did you miss that part of my post?

If you want another Hooray-Rod, you just got him. Regular season hero and playoff zero.

C.C. Sabathia is probably better then any starting pitcher that Boston has, sure Beckett has the stats in the postseason, but Josh Beckett also has about the same injury problems that A.J. Burnett, maybe even worse.

Starts last 2 seasons:

Burnett 59

Beckett 57

any questions?

The only pitcher that comes close to the talent that C.C. Sabathia has is Jon Lester, and he has had one good year, the rest of his years weren't that good, so who knows he has as good a chance succeeding next season as failing.

They needed to sign him to go along with their billion dollar playoff choker hitter AFraud. Now everything is nicely balanced. :biggrin:

Have fun with CC. How much did the Yankees give Burnett?

You know why the Red Sox and Mets spend so much (even though it's never close to what the Yankees spend)? Because they have to. The Sox are in the same division and the Mets are in the same City.

LOL. Let's ignore the fact that he singlehandedly carried the Brewers to the playoffs and cherry pick 4 of his 5 playoff starts. Smart. I know those guys piss you off, but you're smarter than that. Come on. The fact that you called CC a "playoff choker" is beyond ridiculous.

LOL. Let's ignore the fact that he singlehandedly carried the Brewers to the playoffs and cherry pick 4 of his 5 playoff starts. Smart. I know those guys piss you off, but you're smarter than that. Come on. The fact that you called CC a "playoff choker" is beyond ridiculous.

But he is a playoff choker.

Archived