The New York Borros?

Klecko73isGod

According to this article, our beloved Jets almost got strapped with this horrifically bad moniker. Why have I never heard of this before?

http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/21090.html

4. The New York Borros

The New York Jets began their life as the New York Titans in the American Football League. When Hollywood honcho Sonny Werblin and oil tycoon Leon Hess bought the team in 1963, though, they decided the team needed a new name. According to a contemporary New York Times story, they considered the Dodgers, but nixed the idea after Major League Baseball didn’t like it. “The Gothams” also got some consideration, but the team didn’t like the idea of having it shortened to the Goths because “you know they weren’t such nice people.” (Yeah, but couldn’t you just see Vinny Testaverde winning a playoff game, then sacking Byzantium?)

The last finalist to fall was “the New York Borros,” a pun on the city’s boroughs; the team worried that opposing fans would make the Borros-burros connection and derisively call the squad the jackasses. (Little did the Jets’ forefathers know that their home fans would provide all of the booing and heckling a franchise could ever need.) Eventually the team became the Jets since it was going to play in Shea Stadium, which is close to LaGuardia Airport.

First I ever heard of it, too, and I have done some reading about the early days of the american Football Conference.

We really lucked out on the Borros name in another way. Many years later the couriers for drugs would be termed "mules" and since New York is a destination for drugs I hate to see what opponents would say about our football team then.

Archived