To The Old Guys Here....

SoFlaJets

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go on Jimmy, jump off the wagon, and all the rest of you too. Then I will be the only one to go to TWO Jets Super Bowls..:Nuts:

it'd be more an act of mercy Al....I hate that I ruin Jets games for my son and wife who are the innocents here ...they love the game (as we ALL do) it's just I swear the nerves and the tolerance really can't take it like I used to...I should bew able to be a better example instead I'm like a little kid...I wish I could be more mature.....like my 15 year old son

I just assumed NJohn since you hardly ever even post on this side of the board anymore for the last few years....I already knew what the answer was gonna be...Bob too. I just hate it that I am ruining it for my wife and son, (by being an idiot/maniac on Sundays) who are fairly new to the game. I was in the 8th grade the last time this team won...well at least the Yankees didn't do me like that...we had our glory there and the Knicks too even-when basketball was a watchable sport

Bro - I'm a Cub fan. 40 years ain't sh!t.

Go on Jimmy, jump off the wagon, and all the rest of you too. Then I will be the only one to go to TWO Jets Super Bowls..:Nuts:

Not jumping...but may have to be satisfied with 1;)

Christ i lasted thru Kotite/Coslett and Edwards

i think i can make it thru Pizza Face;)

it'd be more an act of mercy Al....I hate that I ruin Jets games for my son and wife who are the innocents here ...they love the game (as we ALL do) it's just I swear the nerves and the tolerance really can't take it like I used to...I should bew able to be a better example instead I'm like a little kid...I wish I could be more mature.....like my 15 year old son

I got you Jim, what you need to do is do like Judy & me, go to a Jets bar, and when you make an a@@ of yourself, no-one notices because you blend in...lol

justy think of what your boy endures at school, you are just toughening him up some for Monday mornings lol

Bro - I'm a Cub fan. 40 years ain't sh!t.

LOL...yea the Yankees used to make me cry John....Horace Clarke, Gene Michael, Lindy McDaniel, Fritz Peterson, Mike Kekich, Bobby Ray, Mike Bloomberg, Ralph Houk....we were so bad that

I used to be the Cubs playing stickball back then Kessinger

Beckett

Williams

Santo

Banks

Hundley.....good line-up

and to think, I actually felt BAD for my friends from Boston before 2000....never knowing the kind of fans they'd turn out to be. I used to say "well if it ain't the Yankees this year then I hopoe for your sake the Sox win it". Then these message boards start appearing along with Pats fans and Sox fans and ya start getting phone calls from your best bud in the middle of a Jets-Pats game after New England scores....after a while you just KNOW who's on the line and growl to yourself

I got you Jim, what you need to do is do like Judy & me, go to a Jets bar, and when you make an a@@ of yourself, no-one notices because you blend in...lol

justy think of what your boy endures at school, you are just toughening him up some for Monday mornings lol

the last time we went to one was the Boynton Ale House and I got yelled at by some old lady for dropping a big F-bomb...it was the Pittsburgh game, the regular season one not the playoff missed FG one, where we had like 10 penalties thrown at us to their 1 in the first half alone....talk about agita' from THOSE wings...that's the reason we started getting the NFL package-plus we did the math....10-11 games @ 40 plus tips for food and sodas vs the $275 you pay DTV

...like me....I was wondering if it's just me or do you guys and you know who you are the Borgo's, Afos', Kentucky Jet, BTJF, Joewillies, SJ, DNA, NS, and Southern Jet-do you guys find your patience and tolerance for this team is fading as the years go by? I am an IDIOT on Sundays when we are losing or worse, end up losing-hell, you should have seen me last week AND WE WON!

I can see a day in the not too distant future where I won't even be able to watch the Jets anymore. I mean I ruin it almost every Sunday for my wife and my poor 15 year old brand new Jets fan son by being a maniac. Forty years of this crap and I'm not sure how much more I should put myself (and my family) through....maybe I need a new Sunday afternoon hobby-any suggestions?

I think there alot more of us out there then you think.

Last season really brought me down. For the past 5-6 years it is have a good year, followed by a horrific year.

They sucked us in again with that win against Tennessee, and then they go out and basically stink out the joint then next three weeks.

We saw the same script play out like that in 2004, 2000, 1997, 94,93,86.

They get your hopes up and then they are dashed in the rocks.

I also think that despite all the bravado, this fanbase is scared to death of the possiblility of losing next week against the Dolphins. If the Jets ever lost to Miami and a certain QB that everyone loves to hate, it could possibly be the worst moment this franchise has endured since the Spike Game.

I'm with you though. I was really quiet just watching the games and letting them show me that this was not going to be the same ol Jets. Even when they won against New England I felt like they kicked me in the nuts again just because they let New England game.

The important thing to remember though is that the Jets still control their own destiny. Win Sunday and win next week and you are the three seed. Both games are very winnable. Not easy but winnable. I worry more about this game then next week simply because it is Holmgren's home game as coach and you know that Seattle is going to do everything in their power to say Thank You and send him out a winner.

They need to take advatage of the gift they got on Sunday from Buffalo and get back to playing the way they did earlier this year.

We have seen teams get on rolls in the past. Pittsburgh in 05, the Giants last year, Denver in 97. So it can be done. All teams that struggled down the stretch and then got their act together either the last week or in the playoffs.

Try to sit back and enjoy the ride. It is quite bumpy right now but I just have a feeling that this isn't quite over yet.

maybe that's what it is Shawn-the up and then down year to year thing....we sit here,we watch the draft, we say we are going places with THIS kid (Gholston urrghh) and say "Wait till next year!" after a one and done season and then we tank....I'm not sure who to blame but I suspect Bradway and Edwards are near the top of the list followed somewhere by Mangini's arrogance

I am in my mid 30s, so I figure I have at least another 35 years to see a Super Bowl win. Of course, if that happens, I will probably be itching for more.

BZ

The most fun is actually going to the game. Go for the whole week. In some places like Houston, its like Mardi Gras the whole week.

I have definitely calmed down with age. I still scream a bit, but I once threw the TV out of a window when an opposing team ran the opening kickoff back for a TD (I think it was in the late eighties). My friend was a little late in joining me. The TV went out of the window just as he was turning into my driveway. He got out of his car and said "I guess the Jets are off to a bad start". :)

Having been one of the few to experience the SB III victory helps. I can't imagine the frustration of the rest of you. On the other hand, you have longer to wait for the next one. GOD works in mysterious ways. :)

All in all, I am in a better place now as a Jets fan. Losses still kill me, but I get over them much sooner.

that was an amazing couple of months to be a Jets fan December 68 into January 1969...from The Heidi game to the SB and all the festivities afterwards-they even had a ticker tape parade if I'm not mistaken...this little run we put together was starting to feel like maybe we could have that again then....well you know

that was an amazing couple of months to be a Jets fan December 68 into January 1969...from The Heidi game to the SB and all the festivities afterwards-they even had a ticker tape parade if I'm not mistaken...this little run we put together was starting to feel like maybe we could have that again then....well you know

Christ..back then i remember the playoff games were blacked out

i had to listen on radio

very few highlites were shown back then

It was a great time, SFJ. Especially the build up to SB III when nobody gave the Jets a chance. The Jet team in 1969 was just about as good as the year before. They could have easily repeated. But the Chiefs and Raiders were both greatly improved that year. Anyone of those 3 AFL teams would have buried the Vikings in SB IV just like the Chiefs did.

It was a great time, SFJ. Especially the build up to SB III when nobody gave the Jets a chance. The Jet team in 1969 was just about as good as the year before. They could have easily repeated. But the Chiefs and Raiders were both greatly improved that year. Anyone of those 3 AFL teams would have buried the Vikings in SB IV just like the Chiefs did.

Exactly! When I came home from Vietnam, I thought the Jets would easily win a couple of more SB's with Joe Willie...44 years later and I'm :wheelchair: and still waiting. I get a kick out of the younger generation that has witnessed recent success with the Jets and think we're on the cusp of something great...hey kiddies...been there done that. And we had a young franchise QB back then too.

Exactly! When I came home from Vietnam, I thought the Jets would easily win a couple of more SB's with Joe Willie...44 years later and I'm :wheelchair: and still waiting. I get a kick out of the younger generation that has witnessed recent success with the Jets and think we're on the cusp of something great...hey kiddies...been there done that. And we had a young franchise QB back then too.

Let then enjoy themselves before they old and crotchedy like the rest of us...

( it is quite amusing though)

Forget about giving it up because you as all of us are addicted. Despite all of the heartbreak and disappointment over the years, I start every year optimistic and still get excited on game day. I am excited but nervous for the game on Sunday and if that hasn't changed after all these years, it will never change. Hey, when the Jets make it to the SB, maybe all of us old farts can sit next to each other in the wheelchair section.

I usually don't like being left off of exclusive lists - but thanks Jimmy for leaving me off this one. So yeah ... what do all you old fk'rs think?

That was obviously an oversight Gramps, you are in the same boat as the rest of us. Actually when you factor in the Cubbies, you are maybe worse off.

Christ..back then i remember the playoff games were blacked out

i had to listen on radio

very few highlites were shown back then

yup I remember sitting in my kitchen listening to that Championship game against Oakland on a little portable AM/FM transistor radio that my aunt kept in there while getting ready for work, she'd listen to Julius DeRosa on WNEW AM in the mornings-yea and that WAS a cold grey and blustery day

Another long-timer checking in.

I followed the Jets when they were the Titans. We were a fairly exclusive society, and not of our own choice. Once they signed Namath under the goalposts at the Orange Bowl, everything changed.

Those of us that have been around since then have seen a lot of bad and not much good. I shudder every year when the Jets' spot comes up in the draft. Richard Turd. Blah Thomas and his fumble. Browning Bagel (which is what he turned out to be, a big zero). Gastineau roughing Kosar. Leon Johnson passing in Detroit. Kotite. Lou Holtz. Charley Winner. The Mud Bowl. The Fake Spike. A hundred others I'm sure all of us old-timers would remember.

So do I root with the same fervor as I did when I was 13? I would say yes when they give me a reason to. I survive as a Jets fan by managing my expectations and trying to be realistic about them. 45 years of frustration will do that to you. I just can't drink the Kool-aid after a big win because I've been down that road too many times before and came crashing down. I think it's a little different for those of us that live outside the NY Metro area, as we have to take it from other groups of fans, and THAT is the worst.

I've had my arms around the TV ready to throw it 100 feet, and I've also worn out the carpet in front of it pacing during a playoff game (see Pittsburgh, 2004). I've knocked pictures off the wall jumping up and down, had my neighbors run over to see what I was screaming about, and stuck the remote in a plaster wall too.

I may come in here ranting and raving, but at the end of the day, I'm still a Jets fan and always will be. If you see a headline reading "Deranged Jet Fan Arrested in Rochester" you'll know who it is and why.

It's just the way we are.

It is amazing to me that the AFL Championship game was blacked out.

It is wierd though. I have seen some Jets games (late 70's) where they and the Giants were playing at the same time.

I guess because both teams were so bad in the 70's that no one really cared what time they were on.

It is amazing to me that the AFL Championship game was blacked out.

It is wierd though. I have seen some Jets games (late 70's) where they and the Giants were playing at the same time.

I guess because both teams were so bad in the 70's that no one really cared what time they were on.

The current blackout rule only was instituted in the 80's and only after some congressman put pressure on the NFL. Up until that time, every home game was blacked out, sold out or not.

...like me....I was wondering if it's just me or do you guys and you know who you are the Borgo's, Afos', Kentucky Jet, BTJF, Joewillies, SJ, DNA, NS, and Southern Jet-do you guys find your patience and tolerance for this team is fading as the years go by? I am an IDIOT on Sundays when we are losing or worse, end up losing-hell, you should have seen me last week AND WE WON!

I can see a day in the not too distant future where I won't even be able to watch the Jets anymore. I mean I ruin it almost every Sunday for my wife and my poor 15 year old brand new Jets fan son by being a maniac. Forty years of this crap and I'm not sure how much more I should put myself (and my family) through....maybe I need a new Sunday afternoon hobby-any suggestions?

SoFlaJets,

I know how you feel. I go back to the late '60's. I attended Namath's Football Camp in '72. Other than the obvious ones in 68-69, there haven't been many great moments for a franchise that is almost 50 years old.

A few of my favorites:

• My first Jet game in person at Shea: Namath comeback from knee injury vs 49ers in '71
  • Namath's Greatest Statistical Game vs Unitas's Colts in '72
  • Jet OT win over the Giants in '74 at Yale Bowl.
  • Todd regular season comeback win over Fish in '81
  • Playoff wins in 82 vs Bengals, Raiders
  • O'Brien shootout win with Marino in '86
  • 1998 Season
  • The '98 playoff win vs Jax (loudest I ever heard the Meadowlands)
  • 41-0 playoff blowout of the Colts in '01

There are a few others, but not many for a franchise that's been around since 1960.

Anyway, to answer your question ... there are times when the frustration level with this team just makes you never want to watch another game.

Unfortunately, at least for me, being a Jet fan is like a gene. It's in your blood and you can't get rid of it.

But I have to believe that there will be a time when we will have OUR time.

It happened to the Patriots. For most of the '60's, 70's, 80's and 90's (with the exception of '85), the Pats were a doormat franchise that paralleled the Jets. It really wasn't until Parcells got there, that the entire face of that franchise changed.

I'm hoping, at some point before I die, we get the right guy to do that for us. Is it Tannebaum? Could be. Is it Mangini? Not so sure. We'll see.

In the meantime, find a good hobby to take your mind off tough losses.

I took up coaching high school football. 90% of my time during the week is prepping for Saturday and scouting other teams. Sunday is my hiatus from that. But by 8pm Sunday night, I'm back into coaching mode (especially if the Jets lose).

Keep the faith!

When our time comes, it'll be that much better.

SoFlaJets,

I know how you feel. I go back to the late '60's. I attended Namath's Football Camp in '72. Other than the obvious ones in 68-69, there haven't been many great moments for a franchise that is almost 50 years old.

A few of my favorites:

• My first Jet game in person at Shea: Namath comeback from knee injury vs 49ers in '71
  • Namath's Greatest Statistical Game vs Unitas's Colts in '72
  • Jet OT win over the Giants in '74 at Yale Bowl.
  • Todd regular season comeback win over Fish in '81
  • Playoff wins in 82 vs Bengals, Raiders
  • O'Brien shootout win with Marino in '86
  • 1998 Season
  • The '98 playoff win vs Jax (loudest I ever heard the Meadowlands)
  • 41-0 playoff blowout of the Colts in '01

There are a few others, but not many for a franchise that's been around since 1960.

Anyway, to answer your question ... there are times when the frustration level with this team just makes you never want to watch another game.

Unfortunately, at least for me, being a Jet fan is like a gene. It's in your blood and you can't get rid of it.

But I have to believe that there will be a time when we will have OUR time.

It happened to the Patriots. For most of the '60's, 70's, 80's and 90's (with the exception of '85), the Pats were a doormat franchise that paralleled the Jets. It really wasn't until Parcells got there, that the entire face of that franchise changed.

I'm hoping, at some point before I die, we get the right guy to do that for us. Is it Tannebaum? Could be. Is it Mangini? Not so sure. We'll see.

In the meantime, find a good hobby to take your mind off tough losses.

I took up coaching high school football. 90% of my time during the week is prepping for Saturday and scouting other teams. Sunday is my hiatus from that. But by 8pm Sunday night, I'm back into coaching mode (especially if the Jets lose).

Keep the faith!

When our time comes, it'll be that much better.

great post jw...that '82 playoff run was so great (that Cincy game? wow) also that 1972 Namath vs Unitas duel stands still as my second favorite Jets game ever-he had 15 completions that day for 496 yards and 6 frickin TDs-I wish I still had my football scrapbook from those games-I had ALL those newspaper clipping and magazine articles along with cards from the 68 season to the 72 season

I still get pissed and yell at the TV on Sundays, but I've come to expect failure. Frankly, I'm more of a baseball fan than a football fan, and it's because I KNOW, the Jets are going to screw me over every year.

I'll keep watching, though, and heaving a sigh of relief each year when the season is over.

I vaguely remember watching SBIII on TV. I was six and thought Joe Namath was cool.

Archived