Dave Hutchinson with the New York Jets

Jetfan13

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Thursday December 18, 2008, 9:37 PM

medium_jetgholston118.jpgEd Betz/The Associated PressNew York Jets first round draft pick Vernon Gholston, is likey to sit again in Sunday's game against the Seattle Seahawks.

GHOLSTON LIKELY TO SIT AGAIN SUNDAY

Rookie LB Vernon Gholston, who was inactive last week for the first time, is expected to be inactive again Sunday and perhaps the rest of the season.

"I think he's made some strides over the past couple of weeks but some other guys have made some strides, too," said coach Eric Mangini, who hasn't hidden his displeasure with Gholston. "Some guys have made some real strides on special teams. That's the first place where he's impacted."

Gholston, drafted sixth overall, has a five-year, $32 million deal that includes $21 million guaranteed. He has been a major disappointment with just five tackles in 13 games. He has 11 special-team tackles.

"You always want to play," Gholston said. "No, I wasn't upset (last week). I knew it was a possibility from weeks prior. All the linebackers were back healthy. We had other guys come up at different positions.

"For me, at this point in the season, it's whatever the team needs, whatever is going to help us get a win and get into the playoffs." AND THE WINNERS ARE. . .

The Jets announced their 2008 Team Awards. The envelopes please ...

Curtis Martin Team MVP Award -- RB Thomas Jones.

Dennis Byrd Award for Most Inspirational Player -- Jones.

Marty Lyons Award for Community Service -- FB Tony Richardson.

Kyle Clifton Good Guy Award -- S Abram Elam.

Ed Block Courage Award -- WR Jerricho Cotchery.

Also, the media gave out its Gerry Eske**** Award for the most cooperative player to RT Damien Woody.

"It's my way of talking to the fans through you all," Woody said. "As a player, it's not always easy to talk about situations, especially after losses. I understand that (the media) has a job to do."

Richardson, who won the Jets 2008 Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, recently hosted a shopping spree for Generations Jets Academy at Toys "R" Us in Livingston in which he purchased $5,000 worth of gift cards so each student received $200 to shop during the holidays.

QUICK HITS

--Jets RB Thomas Jones is the fourth running back in NFL history to make his first Pro Bowl at age 30 or older. The others are Jacksonville's Fred Taylor (32 in 2008), Miami's Keith Byars (31 in 1994) and L.A. Rams' Charles White (30 1988).

--Mangini has tweaked the team's West Coast routine, pushing practice back over an hour yesterday and today to help players' bodies get acclimated to the time change. He didn't try that in the team's first three West Coast trips, all losses.

--Mangini said he has cut down on Brett Favre (21 TDs and league-high 17 INTs) practice throws as the season winds down. He said the key is to work on certain routes.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Sometimes the football Gods smile on you and you don't analyze it, you say, 'thank you,"' Eric Mangini on DE Shaun Ellis' 11-yard fumble return for the game-winning TD vs. the Bills.

INJURIES

WR Brad Smith (concussion) practiced Thursday and is expected to play Sunday.

"He got quite a bit of work (on Wednesday) and I was encouraged by it," said Mangini before practice Thursday.

Mangini said it'll likely be a game-time decision on whether WR David Clowney, who had a one-handed grab in his NFL debut last week vs. the Bills, will be activated. He said even if Smith plays, they doesn't automatically rule out Clowney.

The Jets added T Wayne Hunter (shoulder) and the Seahawks added WR Koren Robinson (knee) to their injury reports.

Ghoston is poop. He can even get activated for ST help.

We need Brad Smith on ST. And we should still have Clowney activated no matter what...Seattle's secondary is the worst in the league and we could use his speed to open up some lanes and give the deep ball threat.

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Thursday December 18, 2008, 9:37 PM

INJURIES

WR Brad Smith (concussion) practiced Thursday and is expected to play Sunday.

"He got quite a bit of work (on Wednesday) and I was encouraged by it," said Mangini before practice Thursday.

Mangini said it'll likely be a game-time decision on whether WR David Clowney, who had a one-handed grab in his NFL debut last week vs. the Bills, will be activated. He said even if Smith plays, they doesn't automatically rule out Clowney.

The Jets added T Wayne Hunter (shoulder) and the Seahawks added WR Koren Robinson (knee) to their injury reports.

I hope not. Get #44 off of the damn field.

Archived