SJ Reviews: 'Slumdog Millionaire'...Great flick , very original (4)

SouthernJet

Bollywood brings us one of surprise hits of year. Slumdog has been nominated by Golden Globes as Best Picture of Year. This is such a cool movie on so many levels.

We have the story of a 18 year old from the worst slums India has to offer. He hasnt been in school since age 5.

But here he is, on the set of Indias version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, ready to answer the question for the Million dollars.

The whole nation is enthralled, but the powers to be behind the scenes think he is cheating and put pressure on him to 'reveal' how he is doing it.

This is where we end up with one of coolest movies in years as he weaves his sad life story and shows how all the answers he has given so far have roots in things that have happened as opposed to classroom learning.

Along the way we learn of survival, humanity and forgiveness.

This is one cool movie, dont miss it.

4 stars_002.gif's

• 2 weeks later...
Bollywood brings us one of surprise hits of year. Slumdog has been nominated by Golden Globes as Best Picture of Year. This is such a cool movie on so many levels.

We have the story of a 18 year old from the worst slums India has to offer. He hasnt been in school since age 5.

But here he is, on the set of Indias version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, ready to answer the question for the Million dollars.

The whole nation is enthralled, but the powers to be behind the scenes think he is cheating and put pressure on him to 'reveal' how he is doing it.

This is where we end up with one of coolest movies in years as he weaves his sad life story and shows how all the answers he has given so far have roots in things that have happened as opposed to classroom learning.

Along teh way we learn of survival, humanity and forgiveness.

4 stars_002.gif's

bumped since

some' of you missed and are just gettin around to see it now since hype has been so hot

Do you get the "go to 10 movies, and get 1 free card?"

You must go to at least 2 movies a week

depends on theater...

the 2 mainstream movie chains I go to (not many Indies on thier screens) use 2 different type cards..The 1st is credit card where every 20 points, aka 20 dollars, you get sometrhing, drink, popcorn , or free movie. The trick to this card (Regal by the way) is to get two cards for u and date/girl/spouse and have them swipe both card when u pay with one credit card or cash. The reason? The chain only allows 9 points per day on a card, so if u usue one card for a 17/18 dollar purchase , you get only 9 points. But the system allows 2 cards per transcation so u get the 9 per card..

The other mainstraem i use has a paper card that has 10 punces on it,,1 punch per tix. after 5 piunches free popcorn, on 10 th punch free movie. These card sare good, usually each punch is equivalent to $1.25 in goods. So 2 people go and get $2.50 in goods each visit in essence.

The 2 Indie theaters I go to (and they also own a small mainstream trhat I sometimes go to), has a great coupon. If you subscribe to local Raleigh paper, the e-club has a coupon that is 'buy 2 tickets get free medioum popcorn and mediium soda' . Thats basically a 7/8 dollar coupon right there. Whats nuts is they dont need the coupon caus efor Indie movies, people are gonna go regardless of coupon or not cause there isnt any other Indie competion, they have both Indie theaters in Raleigh. I assume its mainly for the small mainstraem they own that need sto get people in over the main cineplexes.

I go so much the managers at all the theaters tell the people to upgrade me to large at no cost.

I just got this movie this morning, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

cool..

actually this is one of those flicks that is better in a theater as u fell the good vibes from entire theater..

when i saw, the audience applauded at end, which is kinda rare..

but i am prejudice to goin to theater, piracy will only hurt the art in long run :(

but i understand in this economy, I have been blessed buyt I understand people not wantin to pay 8 bucks a tix

cool..

actually this is one of those flicks that is better in a theater as u fell the good vibes from entire theater..

but i am prejudice to goin to theater, piracy will only hurt the art in long run :(

but i understand in this economy, I have been blessed buyt I understand people not wantin to pay 8 bucks a tix

Yeah, I hear ya I usually go to the local drive-inn around here, but even they have gotten expensive. Also 8 bucks is on the 'cheap' side around here.

Yeah, I hear ya I usually go to the local drive-inn around here, but even they have gotten expensive. Also 8 bucks is on the 'cheap' side around here.

ya, Raleigh is 8.75 for mainstreams and 8 for Indie theater,,unless u go before 6 PM, then its like 2 bucks cheaper I think

i think i'm gonna go see this tonight with my boyfriend, either that, or go see benjamin button (he hasn't seen it yet, and i don't mind watching it again) or see marley and me.

if i was voting..

slumdog, button, marley..

keep in mind button is 2 hr 40 min,,,just a fyi...

oh and i would put Milk ahead of all three above...sean penn oscar performance

if i was voting..

slumdog, button, marley..

keep in mind button is 2 hr 40 min,,,just a fyi...

oh and i would put Milk ahead of all three above...sean penn oscar performance

i already saw button, and i absolutely LOVED IT. i'm thinking of seeing it again, i loved it so much. his favorite movie is forest gump, so i think he'll like it too.

i already saw button, and i absolutely LOVED IT. i'm thinking of seeing it again, i loved it so much. his favorite movie is forest gump, so i think he'll like it too.

yes, after Button I told my wife u just saw a remaking of Gump with different overtones..

I suggest Slumdog or Milk since u havent seen and wait 3 weeks for Button to be at dollar theaters so u dont pay 8 bucks again for same flick ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Along teh way we learn of survival, humanity and forgiveness.

4 stars_002.gif's

Congrats to SJ's highest rated and favorite movie last year and also the winner of the Best Movie at Golden Globes last night!!!!!!!!!!

'Slumdog Millionaire' wins four Golden Globes

12 Jan 2009, 0909 hrs IST, AP

BEVERLY HILLS:

cool..

thats why i go to the drive-in.. i pay for one ticket($6) and then stay for at least 2 movies a night.. next week im going to see Unborn and Notorious all in one night :P

thats why i go to the drive-in.. i pay for one ticket($6) and then stay for at least 2 movies a night.. next week im going to see Unborn and Notorious all in one night :P

ya, but drivein usually has shiit flicks,,

sadly unborn horrid and i can almost bet u notorious gets slammed in reviews also,,

go to great movie,slumdog, doubt, milk, revoultionary road, gran torino etc.....

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/unborn

ya, but drivein usually has shiit flicks,,

sadly unborn horrid and i can almost bet u notorious gets slammed in reviews also,,

go to great movie,slumdog, doubt, milk, revoultionary road, gran torino etc.....

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/unborn

yea i think im going to see slumdog tonight... and if im up for it gran torino... and im glad you said that about unborn because i hate scary movies actually and was only gonna go because my g/f likes that crap... but i have to see Notorious no matter what the critics say because most of those critics arent going to know much about Biggie or what he was about... this is a must see for my generation

yea i think im going to see slumdog tonight... and if im up for it gran torino... and im glad you said that about unborn because i hate scary movies actually and was only gonna go because my g/f likes that crap... but i have to see Notorious no matter what the critics say because most of those critics arent going to know much about Biggie or what he was about... this is a must see for my generation

9i hear ya, my wife loves scary movies also,,unborn waste ofd cash though,,take her to this instead..

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/lettherightonein

what the hell.. ive gotta travel pretty far to go watch that movie its only playing in a handful of theaters down here.. bummer.. hey by the way how far do you live from Mt Olive?

80 miles..its in they sticks

slumdog due to gettin best picture of year at golden globes will everywhere in a week or two

80 miles..its in they sticks

slumdog due to gettin best picture of year at golden globes will everywhere in a week or two

ok maybe ill wait for it and go see Torino tonight..

but yea about Mt. Olive i was going to go there straight out of high school to play baseball but got in a little trouble and had to stay home... my best friend is a 5th year senior on their soccer team i think she just got all conference also this past season

ok maybe ill wait for it and go see Torino tonight..

but yea about Mt. Olive i was going to go there straight out of high school to play baseball but got in a little trouble and had to stay home... my best friend is a 5th year senior on their soccer team i think she just got all conference also this past season

mt olive won national title this year in baseball for thier division..

i odnt know if mt. olive would have suited your rapper lovin ways...just sayin :D

mt olive won national title this year in baseball for thier division..

i odnt know if mt. olive would have suited your rapper lovin ways...just sayin :D

hahaha theres a time and place for everything :) plus there are alot of kids from Miami that go up there...

yea i saw that they won the word series.. thats pretty cool i would of been a senior on that team if i would of went up there

• 3 weeks later...

Liked the film...

Didn't think it was as original as many said, but still a good story.

SJ, have you seen/will you see CHE? Soderberg did a 453 minute (I think) Epic on the revolutionary icon that I've very interested in checking out. Not sure where to see it yet, but supposedly it's a 2 parter which is helpful.

Liked the film...

Didn't think it was as original as many said, but still a good story.

SJ, have you seen/will you see CHE? Soderberg did a 453 minute (I think) Epic on the revolutionary icon that I've very interested in checking out. Not sure where to see it yet, but supposedly it's a 2 parter which is helpful.

No, what/who did you think it borrowed from? Saw it last weekend, and really, really liked it.

No, what/who did you think it borrowed from? Saw it last weekend, and really, really liked it.

I don't have titles off the top of my head, but what I'm alluding too is the idea of a story taking place in a short amount of time with the narrative being told nearly entirely through flashbacks. It's a very low budget concept because you continuously return to the same location, ie save money on new locations.

By the way, at this point, originality holds little water in liking a film. With the amount of stories being told/having been told, there's almost no such thing anymore.

Archived