A closer look at the Jets offense

serphnx

As we all know, the Jets are 3rd in points scored. I couldn't shake the feeling though that the Jets offense really isn't that good. So I looked at some statistics just to check. I'm not sure what to take away from it, but I figured I'd list them for everyone to see if anybody else thinks the statistics don't show an offensive juggernaut:

We are 15th in total yards. 16th in passing offense, 9th in rushing offense. We are tied for 3rd in rushing TDs, and 8th in passing TDs. We are tied for 2nd in INTs (The Texans as a team have thrown more). We are 19th in terms of plays run. We do have the 11th highest TOP.

So we are getting an average amount of yards, holding the ball more than average, but running less plays than average. Somehow we have a high point production, although it's not necessarily from moving the ball consistently or getting more TDs than everyone else. To me it looks like we're somewhat mediocre on offense, but with good point production. Points are probably the most important stat though, so maybe we are nitpicking about the offense? Then again, it did fail to show up against the Raiders, Niners and Broncos, so we're at least right to have complaints after those games. I don't know, what is everyone else's take? Overreactions and we have a very good offense, or is it really a mediocre offense or worse that costs us at crucial times? Are points the only thing that matters, or is yardage something you have to look at?

As we all know, the Jets are 3rd in points scored. I couldn't shake the feeling though that the Jets offense really isn't that good. So I looked at some statistics just to check. I'm not sure what to take away from it, but I figured I'd list them for everyone to see if anybody else thinks the statistics don't show an offensive juggernaut:

We are 15th in total yards. 16th in passing offense, 9th in rushing offense. We are tied for 3rd in rushing TDs, and 8th in passing TDs. We are tied for 2nd in INTs (The Texans as a team have thrown more). We are 19th in terms of plays run. We do have the 11th highest TOP.

So we are getting an average amount of yards, holding the ball more than average, but running less plays than average. Somehow we have a high point production, although it's not necessarily from moving the ball consistently or getting more TDs than everyone else. To me it looks like we're somewhat mediocre on offense, but with good point production. Points are probably the most important stat though, so maybe we are nitpicking about the offense? Then again, it did fail to show up against the Raiders, Niners and Broncos, so we're at least right to have complaints after those games. I don't know, what is everyone else's take? Overreactions and we have a very good offense, or is it really a mediocre offense or worse that costs us at crucial times? Are points the only thing that matters, or is yardage something you have to look at?

A couple of things to consider. I can think of at least 4 TDs scored by the defense and Leon has brought back one kickoff return. On the other hand, the Jets defense has been so bad getting off the field, it has really limited the number of times the Jets offense has had opportunities. What does that say? I don't know. :) But you have to consider a lot of things beyond pure statistics when making evaluations.

We're not as good as the stats say on offense. We have no downfield threat AT ALL. In fact our best chance of a quick score is through our backup running back. The O-line is the strength of the offense IMO, they have provided us with a very good runing game. The passing game has shown flashes of greatness but fails to deliver consistently. When we've used play action we've looked pretty good I must say but Schotty doesn't like to go there too often.

We're defenitely NOT the 3rd best offense in the league. No way!

A couple of things to consider. I can think of at least 4 TDs scored by the defense and Leon has brought back one kickoff return. On the other hand, the Jets defense has been so bad getting off the field, it has really limited the number of times the Jets offense has had opportunities. What does that say? I don't know. :) But you have to consider a lot of things beyond pure statistics when making evaluations.

Ellis' TD was #5 on D I believe. That's 35. Also, Leon's kick returns, not just the TD, have hurt our yardage gained since he gets us good field position.

We're defenitely NOT the 3rd best offense in the league. No way!

I agree.

Brett and Coles seemed to have something nice going for awhile, but it seems to have disappeared and nothing seems to have replaced it.

We're lucky we have Thomas Jones and Leon's big play ability.

A big reason for the discrepancy is that we are #3 in TD's per drive, just .013 off the leader. We are also #6 in points per drive, .05 off the leader..

Part of that is because we have good average starting field position, #6 in the league, 2 yards better then average.

Whether you believe it or no, we tend to score a lot when we get the ball...

Another point is that we've been more inconsistant then anything. There's been plenty of times were we've played like an elite offense and others where we've just completely dissappeared.

I really think the reason for our poor play last three weeks is 80% on the defense. They have reverted to last year, just like that.

When pouha is in and not Jenkins on first and second downs that tells me he is not conditioned or hurt. Jenkins has run out of steam3/4 into the season and the whole D has paid.

QB's from Shaun Hill to Joe Blow have 5 seconds to throw which is making our secondary look like crap. They can't get off the field, it's affecting their tackling. Dwight Lowery's confidence is shot, signed and notorized by the Ty Law deal.

Our offense is fine, but you can't expect our defense to do a 180 and it not effect the other sie of the ball. At 8-3 our offense was fantastic and getting better every week. Then, kris Jenkins hit a wall and since the genius' 3-4 hinges on ONE MAN....well....you see the results.

8-3, riding high, then against Denver Favre throws for 250, TJ runs for 140, but Denver scores 17 in the first quarter due to the unstoppable Peyton HILLIS!!!!!!!!????????

Then we go to SF and get the ball for half the amount of time they do, as the great Shaun Hill rips us apart 285 yards without a single stain on his Jersey. I bet he didn't even wash it before the next game.

Our problem is on DEFENSE. Give us week one Kris Jenkins. Give us 07 David Harris and Kerry Rhodes.Things will change.

I really think the reason for our poor play last three weeks is 80% on the defense. They have reverted to last year, just like that.

When pouha is in and not Jenkins on first and second downs that tells me he is not conditioned or hurt. Jenkins has run out of steam3/4 into the season and the whole D has paid.

QB's from Shaun Hill to Joe Blow have 5 seconds to throw which is making our secondary look like crap. They can't get off the field, it's affecting their tackling. Dwight Lowery's confidence is shot, signed and notorized by the Ty Law deal.

Our offense is fine, but you can't expect our defense to do a 180 and it not effect the other sie of the ball. At 8-3 our offense was fantastic and getting better every week. Then, kris Jenkins hit a wall and since the genius' 3-4 hinges on ONE MAN....well....you see the results.

8-3, riding high, then against Denver Favre throws for 250, TJ runs for 140, but Denver scores 17 in the first quarter due to the unstoppable Peyton HILLIS!!!!!!!!????????

Then we go to SF and get the ball for half the amount of time they do, as the great Shaun Hill rips us apart 285 yards without a single stain on his Jersey. I bet he didn't even wash it before the next game.

Our problem is on DEFENSE. Give us week one Kris Jenkins. Give us 07 David Harris and Kerry Rhodes.Things will change.

The defense is worse than the offense, but I think this O is good enough to take the heat off the D. They have not done that. In the games they've lost Favre in particular has looked shaky. Bad picks, three and outs. I can give them a pass in the weather against Broncos, but there is no excuse for the **** they put up against the Niners and Bills. The 2nd half against the Bills was nothing but a pick and three and outs. It's especially important when a key piece (Jenkins) needs so much rest to be effective.

**EDIT** I checked. Second half against the Bills. There was a pick, a five and out, three three play "drives", and a four and out. One wasn't a three and out because they managed to move the ball about 7 yards and kick a field goal after Poteat's pick at the 20. That's pretty pathetic performance at home.

**EDIT** I checked. Second half against the Bills. There was a pick, a five and out, three three play "drives", and a four and out. One wasn't a three and out because they managed to move the ball about 7 yards and kick a field goal after Poteat's pick at the 20. That's pretty pathetic performance at home.

The defense has been bad all year, the offense is sometimes able to cover it up. But it's hard for an offense to get/stay in rhythm when they aren't on the field, that's why scoring first has been so key for the Jets.

It's also not always the QB's fault, we've had a tendency to make critical mistakes as a team and make some strange play calls in spots. Take the bills game: the running game failed to pick up 2 of those first downs. Two drives started within our own 3 yard line due to ST's. A drive had a first down in Bills territory called back due to holding, Coles dropped a huge ball on our second to last drive and Favre missed Keller on another.

I think what we are seeing here is the same thing we saw with Noodle arm, when an offense lacks big play capability too many things need to go right to keep picking up those third and shorts and score. Poor field position, an untimely penalty, a stuffed run, all of these things can stop a drive short and sap momentum away. I'm not even talking about long TD's or big bombs, I'm talking about picking up 15+ yards at a time somewhat consistently.

We still have no down field threat. I thought thats what Farve was suppose to bring. So the question is did we really need Farve. We would have had the same results with Pennington. The jets brought him in for marketing purposes. Welcome to a buisness not a sport.

We still have no down field threat. I thought thats what Farve was suppose to bring. So the question is did we really need Farve. We would have had the same results with Pennington. The jets brought him in for marketing purposes. Welcome to a buisness not a sport.

Favre is known for his great short to mid fastballs... not the deep ball... you fell for the hype and didnt look at the facts...

I didnt fall for it. I didnt want Farve. We would have the same team with Chad and same record. I wish i never became a jets fan. Unfortunately its in my DNA so I will always bleed green and hope for that one day it all pays off. Doubt its this year though

I didnt fall for it. I didnt want Farve. We would have the same team with Chad and same record. I wish i never became a jets fan. Unfortunately its in my DNA so I will always bleed green and hope for that one day it all pays off. Doubt its this year though

Yes you did, thats not what he brings.... you fell for it.

Become a Dolphins fan. Then your life will be complete.

I think most of the Jets problems lie with inconsistency in the playcalling and in the passing game in particular. Despite the Jets high completion percentage the yards per completion and yards per attempt are way below average for the competition we have faced. The 20 and 40+ type plays are about 9% lower than average which hurts. The biggest killer in the passing game is Favres interceptions. He is 70% above the norm in that regard.

The run offense is our biggest strength yet me run it less times than we should. Our run game is producing nearly 14% higher YPC than the norm yet we run it 5.5% less times than the norm. That makes no sense. The run blocking is better. They produce bigger plays. They produce a higher rate of touchdowns. Yet every game we focus too much on a passing game that is at best average.

We are pretty efficient at scroing the football and I dont think our defense gets us enough chances, but they seem to be average in that regard so Im not sure if it is as big of a factor as I think from watching the games.

The defense has been bad all year, the offense is sometimes able to cover it up. But it's hard for an offense to get/stay in rhythm when they aren't on the field, that's why scoring first has been so key for the Jets.

It's also not always the QB's fault, we've had a tendency to make critical mistakes as a team and make some strange play calls in spots. Take the bills game: the running game failed to pick up 2 of those first downs. Two drives started within our own 3 yard line due to ST's. A drive had a first down in Bills territory called back due to holding, Coles dropped a huge ball on our second to last drive and Favre missed Keller on another.

I think what we are seeing here is the same thing we saw with Noodle arm, when an offense lacks big play capability too many things need to go right to keep picking up those third and shorts and score. Poor field position, an untimely penalty, a stuffed run, all of these things can stop a drive short and sap momentum away. I'm not even talking about long TD's or big bombs, I'm talking about picking up 15+ yards at a time somewhat consistently.

QB play might not have been the primary problem against the Bills, but it certainly was against the Bengals, Raiders and Chiefs. He didn't exactly work wonders against SD.

No matter how you slice it, one first down in the second half against the Bills is pathetic. The stats don't seem to back up the lack of the big play being the problem. Check the stats from the OP. If points are better than the rest of the stats I don't think the big play is the problem Consistency sure is.

QB play might not have been the primary problem against the Bills, but it certainly was against the Bengals, Raiders and Chiefs. He didn't exactly work wonders against SD.

No matter how you slice it, one first down in the second half against the Bills is pathetic. The stats don't seem to back up the lack of the big play being the problem. Check the stats from the OP. If points are better than the rest of the stats I don't think the big play is the problem Consistency sure is.

What stats don't back up my point? We have almost no big play capability through the air. Favre hasn't even had more then one or two dump offs go for more the 20 yards this year. I've seen the dolphins do this several times in 1 game. The passing game is pure dink and dunk and our primary runner isn't a home run threat. Therefore we are forced to nickel and dime our way down the field. When this is you offense, you are highly susceptible to mistakes, like dropped passes, penalties, missed blocks, etc..

There's a reason why we did lead the league in 5 minute possessions...

I think that is a great point. Those are the plays that keep the defense on their heels and we do not pick them up at all. Part of that is the Mangini philosophy if you ask me. On defense he is petrified of the big play and I think on offense he is petrified of the negative that can happen by his QB throwing a pick on the big play attempt. Its sad that the Dolphins have more big pass plays than we do and we are right on pace to end up with the same amount of big passes that we ended up with last year and the year before that. Now I know Brett Favre isnt the Brett Favre of 2000, but he should be an upgrade over Chad and Kellen Clemens in the long game, but he isnt. To me that is damning evidence against the coaching and the wide receivers on the team.

The other problem with the lack of the big plays is that when we get sacked or have one bad run, it pretty much means the end of a drive. Our pass protection is nothing special and Favre sometimes holds the ball too long as well. But when you cant throw the ball more than 10 yards a clip it is tough to get back from those negative plays.

I think that is a great point. Those are the plays that keep the defense on their heels and we do not pick them up at all. Part of that is the Mangini philosophy if you ask me. On defense he is petrified of the big play and I think on offense he is petrified of the negative that can happen by his QB throwing a pick on the big play attempt. Its sad that the Dolphins have more big pass plays than we do and we are right on pace to end up with the same amount of big passes that we ended up with last year and the year before that. Now I know Brett Favre isnt the Brett Favre of 2000, but he should be an upgrade over Chad and Kellen Clemens in the long game, but he isnt. To me that is damning evidence against the coaching and the wide receivers on the team.

The other problem with the lack of the big plays is that when we get sacked or have one bad run, it pretty much means the end of a drive. Our pass protection is nothing special and Favre sometimes holds the ball too long as well. But when you cant throw the ball more than 10 yards a clip it is tough to get back from those negative plays.

Exactly. The minute something goes wrong, sometimes even as little as a dropped pass, the offense is sunk. The only difference between Favre and Chad in this regard is our odds are a little better to convert but at the expense of higher odds of an INT..

And don't get too fooled by Miami's "big pass" counts, Chad has had a lot of drags, duimps offs and screens that have gone for over 25 yards whereas our RB's have saved their big plays for the running game. Henning has also done a great job gettign guys open all over the place. There isn't a doubt in my mind that if Chad was here with this defense and coaching, our offense would not be as good as it is now..

the offense is, as a whole, wildly inconsistent. from week to week you get either feast or famine

what bother me most is they don't seem to attack weaknesses like other teams do

do you think other teams would've let the 9ers get away with starting 2 back-up CB's without throwing at them all day ?

that was the game coles/cotchery disappeared

the chiefs and denver have awful run defenses, so we come out passing

:bag:

maddening

What stats don't back up my point? We have almost no big play capability through the air. Favre hasn't even had more then one or two dump offs go for more the 20 yards this year. I've seen the dolphins do this several times in 1 game. The passing game is pure dink and dunk and our primary runner isn't a home run threat. Therefore we are forced to nickel and dime our way down the field. When this is you offense, you are highly susceptible to mistakes, like dropped passes, penalties, missed blocks, etc..

There's a reason why we did lead the league in 5 minute possessions...

? Not more than 1 or dump offs go for 20? I'm not sure I follow. I can remember converting a 3rd and 18 the week one for starters. Stuckey had another long one against the 49ers. Coles had a long one against the Titans. Cotchery's 50 yard 1 hander against the Pats. Keller had a couple of long ones for 1st downs too. Those are just off the top of my head. The stats I'm talking about are the fact that points are up, but number of plays are down. The D supposedly sucks, so can you explain how that happened? It's not all Leon's returns.

Leon and Jones both have some pretty long TD runs this year. The WR kind of suck as deep threats, so this is no shock. If that's your point I don't think anybody could disagree. They had some big plays against Tennessee, NE, and the Cards, but as many of you said, they are wildly inconsistent.

And don't get too fooled by Miami's "big pass" counts, Chad has had a lot of drags, duimps offs and screens that have gone for over 25 yards whereas our RB's have saved their big plays for the running game. Henning has also done a great job gettign guys open all over the place. There isn't a doubt in my mind that if Chad was here with this defense and coaching, our offense would not be as good as it is now..

I think what you posted about Chad is even more of an indictment against our staff. I know everyone here is in love with Ronnie Brown, but both of our guys are better than he is at big plays this year. Same goes for Ricky Williams. I think you are overestimating what those guys have done in terms of big plays, but not what they have done with their two tight ends and Patrick Cobbs. There is no reason for our running backs and Dustin Keller to be doing at least as good as they are. But the way the plays are structured our backs are going to be brought down as soon as they catch the football.

Id agree that with Chad we would not be scoring as many points, simply because the blah playcalling is just limiting to everyone and Favre is more respected and a better player than Chad, but that crummy playcalling has pretty much cost us in at least 2 or 3 games this season.

I think what you posted about Chad is even more of an indictment against our staff. I know everyone here is in love with Ronnie Brown, but both of our guys are better than he is at big plays this year. Same goes for Ricky Williams. I think you are overestimating what those guys have done in terms of big plays, but not what they have done with their two tight ends and Patrick Cobbs. There is no reason for our running backs and Dustin Keller to be doing at least as good as they are. But the way the plays are structured our backs are going to be brought down as soon as they catch the football.

Id agree that with Chad we would not be scoring as many points, simply because the blah playcalling is just limiting to everyone and Favre is more respected and a better player than Chad, but that crummy playcalling has pretty much cost us in at least 2 or 3 games this season.

Favre had cost us a couple of games himself and nearly the first Bills game too. I am interested that Chad is using the TEs because he never did **** with them here. I figured he just didn't like to use them or that his chicken arm couldn't zip them in the seam. Guess I was wrong.

? Not more than 1 or dump offs go for 20? I'm not sure I follow. I can remember converting a 3rd and 18 the week one for starters. Stuckey had another long one against the 49ers. Coles had a long one against the Titans. Cotchery's 50 yard 1 hander against the Pats. Keller had a couple of long ones for 1st downs too. Those are just off the top of my head. The stats I'm talking about are the fact that points are up, but number of plays are down. The D supposedly sucks, so can you explain how that happened? It's not all Leon's returns.

Leon and Jones both have some pretty long TD runs this year. The WR kind of suck as deep threats, so this is no shock. If that's your point I don't think anybody could disagree. They had some big plays against Tennessee, NE, and the Cards, but as many of you said, they are wildly inconsistent.

You guys are missing my point. My point is that the Dolphins RB's have made bigger plays in the passing game only. The numbers prove it.

REC= Receptions, YPC= Yards Per Catch

Mia:

Brown: REC: 24 YPC: 9.1

Williams: REC: 22 YPC: 7.5

Cobb: REC: 16 YPC: 16

Jets:

Jones: REC: 32 YPC: 5.5

Washington: REC: 41 YPC: 8.0

Smith: REC: 10 YPC: 6.8

Total

Mia: 62 receptions for 639 yards, 10.3 YPC

Jets: 83 receptions for 572 yards, 6.9 YPC

The Dolphins have needed 20 less receptions to move 67 more yards. If we can agree that passes to backs are often a function of scheme and the runners ability to make YAC, then we the numbers prove Miami's backs have been better in the passing game, all else being equal..

The Jets backs have generally saved their big plays for the running game

Btw, Just for fun, if you switched the backs performance in the QB's numbers they'd be nearly identical in terms of YPA and yards..

Chad before 3,218 yards, 7.8 YPA

Favre before 3,052 yards, 6.8 YPA

Chad after 3151 yards 7.3 YPA

Favre after 3119 yards 7.3 YPA

Favre had cost us a couple of games himself and nearly the first Bills game too. I am interested that Chad is using the TEs because he never did **** with them here. I figured he just didn't like to use them or that his chicken arm couldn't zip them in the seam. Guess I was wrong.

Henning is doing a masterful job this year, similiar to what he did with Vinny in 1998

Btw, Just for fun, if you switched the backs performance in the QB's numbers they'd be nearly identical in terms of YPA and yards..

Chad before 3,218 yards, 7.8 YPA

Favre before 3,052 yards, 6.8 YPA

Chad after 3151 yards 7.3 YPA

Favre after 3119 yards 7.3 YPA

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. So Favre has the same ability and performance as the guy we kicked to the curb? Is this an indictment on the CS, on Favre, or is Chad really better than we gave him credit for?

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. So Favre has the same ability and performance as the guy we kicked to the curb? Is this an indictment on the CS, on Favre, or is Chad really better than we gave him credit for?

I'm getting at that Chad's advantage in YPA and yards is a mirage.

imo, the bottom line is that I think Henning is doing a much better job then Schott and if Chad's was here his numbers would be worse then Favre's..

Bottom line is Chad is a better fit for the jets offense. Yes farve can throw harder and farther but that does us no good on a team where we dont have deep play receivers or a coaching staff that is willing to play the deep ball. Chad is a better manager for this team and the play action would have been great with this running game. Farve is not a fit for this team. We should have let chad run this team with all our new additions. He fits it perfect. Instead we have a guy who throws 60 yard punts on 2nd down.

Bottom line is Chad is a better fit for the jets offense. Yes farve can throw harder and farther but that does us no good on a team where we dont have deep play receivers or a coaching staff that is willing to play the deep ball. Chad is a better manager for this team and the play action would have been great with this running game. Farve is not a fit for this team. We should have let chad run this team with all our new additions. He fits it perfect. Instead we have a guy who throws 60 yard punts on 2nd down.

If Chad were our QB we would have at least three more losses. No way we beat Cincy, KC or NE the way we did with Chad at QB.

Also, our running game would be much less effective because we'd see eight in the box constantly.

If Chad were our QB we would have at least three more losses. No way we beat Cincy, KC or NE the way we did with Chad at QB.

Also, our running game would be much less effective because we'd see eight in the box constantly.

hey but the upside would be we'd be talking who to draft with our top ten pick...

Uhh. no.

The point is that Chad's dumpoffs/screens with Miami has been a lot more productive then Favres with the Jets. I'd argue that has more to do with scheme/receivers then QB..

Archived