SJ Reviews: 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'..this film stood still (2)

SouthernJet

Sadly, this remake of alien comes to warn us, spends more time on special effects and ominous lighting than on the mood and emotion the original brought to the table.

It actually starts out pretty good, but soon breaks down into a somewhat mundane and predictable flick. Reeves gives a performance that could have been mailed in. Kathy Bates performance is also non descript and Will Smiths little brat is , well, a little brat. Only John Cleese and BJennifer Connely do the thespian craft a nod.

This remake takes a somewhat different path than the original but lacks the 'impending alien doom' as its too out there from start.

Its a OK , escapist afternoon, but dont expect a great sci-fi adventure.

2 stars_002.gif's

Sadly, this remake of alien comes to warn us, spends more time on special effects and ominous lighting than on the mood and emotion the original brought to the table.

It actually starts out pretty good, but soon breaks down into a somewhat mundane and predictable flick. Reeves gives a performance that could have been mailed in. Kathy Bates performance is also non descript and Will Smiths little brat is , well, a little brat. Only John Cleese and BJennifer Connely do the thespian craft a nod.

This remake takes a somewhat different path than the original but lacks the 'impending alien doom' as its too out there from start.

Its a OK , escapist afternoon, but dont expect a great sci-fi adventure.

2 stars_002.gif's

CRAP !! It looked so promising as far as the trailers went. Another wait for DVD event I guess. Thanks SJ.

Saw this movie here last week. Was disappointed. Just like SJ described, ended up being a very mundane, by-the-book movie from about 20 minutes in.

Worth waiting till it hits DVD, or maybe HBO.

I don't know if there's anything else coming out that I'm looking forward to watching.

It was OK. The robot was cool. The original was simply a great, great movie. Hard to equal even though the new one had the advantage of today's technology. Along with the original "Thing", those two movies were the classic sci-fi movies of the fifties that will never be topped. Considering how cheesey most of the other sci-fi movies of the fifties were, that is pretty amazing.

Is there anything good out lately? Any recommendations anyone?

wrestler not out yet so i cant recommend, but looks good..

great flicks thats are out now..

slumdog millionaire

milk

tell no one (french)

the dutchess

burn after reading

a christmas tale (french)

on horizon

wrestler

benjamin button

doubt

frost/nixon

gran torino

revolutionary road

Saw this movie here last week. Was disappointed. Just like SJ described, ended up being a very mundane, by-the-book movie from about 20 minutes in.

Worth waiting till it hits DVD, or maybe HBO.

I don't know if there's anything else coming out that I'm looking forward to watching.

I'm considering going to see Valkyrie when it comes out.

The big minus though, it's got Tom Cruise.

I was looking forward to Valkyrie too.

But Tom Cruise stinks. He can't even put on a German accent for the role. He's not an actor; he just plays every role the same..

not really..you may not like him, but he has some acting chops..

go see Tropic Thunder and tell me he plays every role the same... I swear it took me a few minutes till I realized it was Cruise....plus , he is a Jersey boy,,take iyt easy on him

thnaks for the props on reviews ;)

go see Tropic Thunder and tell me he plays every role the same... I swear it took me a few minutes till I realized it was Cruise....plus , he is a Jersey boy,,take iyt easy on him

Haven't seen Tropic Thunder, so I'll keep an open mind on that one. Thanks.

But he tended to have similar roles in the past - Risky B, Top Gun, C0cktail - the "cool" brash guy who wins everyone over with his grin.

Even Far and Away with Nicole, he started out as the same type of character. Same for the military one with Jack ("you can't handle the truth") Nicholsen. But he did show some dramatic talent. Maybe it's just that he's generally picked the same type of roles, and I just don't like that kind of character.

Haven't seen Tropic Thunder, so I'll keep an open mind on that one. Thanks.

But he tended to have similar roles in the past - Risky B, Top Gun, C0cktail - the "cool" brash guy who wins everyone over with his grin.

Even Far and Away with Nicole, he started out as the same type of character. Same for the military one with Jack ("you can't handle the truth") Nicholsen. But he did show some dramatic talent. Maybe it's just that he's generally picked the same type of roles, and I just don't like that kind of character.

IMO tropic thunder was terrible...cruise was good, you will never

recognize him

i guess worth a DVD look

I agree with you here, I thought he was funny in that role. I also liked the Last Samurai.

Archived