Post Game Thoughts

jason423

That sound that you just heard was the bubble bursting on the Jets. Is the season over? Technically not, but at this point it is going to take a miracle similar to what happened in 2002 for the New York Jets to make the playoffs. Another complete no show on a trip to the West Coast against one of the worst teams in the NFL. When we all go back and look at this season we are going to see the names San Diego, Oakland, San Francisco, and Seattle and the letter

Good stuff. I don't understand how Mangina doesn't get fired. I really don't. This is the worst collapse since 1986 and we can't even point to injuries or schedule.

4 weeks ago we were 8-3 and talking about a 1st round bye. We had 2 winning teams left our schedule (both 6-5 and at home) and somehow we are looking to round out the year at 1-4 (should be 0-5)

This is an epic fail by Mangini as the breakdown has really been across the board..

Good stuff. I don't understand how Mangina doesn't get fired. I really don't. This is the worst collapse since 1986 and we can't even point to injuries or schedule.

4 weeks ago we were 8-3 and talking about a 1st round bye. We had 2 winning teams left our schedule (both 6-5 and at home) and somehow we are looking to round out the year at 1-4 (should be 0-5)

This is an epic fail by Mangini as the breakdown has really been across the board..

The Jets really need to question the Mangini hire. Every coach coming out of New England is horrible and the Jets took him simply because he was the "hot" assistant in New England. Like I have said before I dont think he will go this year, but I dont know what silver lining any objective viewer of his can find from 2007-2008. He is in way over his head. Hiring these guys with no real coaching experience is a major mistake and then rather than surrounding him with good coaches they surrounded him with Schotenheimers son and a DC that everyone said in 2006 was simply a 1 year stop gap compounded the situation. I know Im way down right now after todays game, but my own feeling is that we are about to move into that post-spike era of football. Thats how bad this is.

Funny how when I post that Favre is done you call me Penningtonfag or something like that and when he say the same thing it's "good stuff".

LOL

Great post BTW Jason, agree completely with just about all.

The Jets really need to question the Mangini hire. Every coach coming out of New England is horrible and the Jets took him simply because he was the "hot" assistant in New England. Like I have said before I dont think he will go this year, but I dont know what silver lining any objective viewer of his can find from 2007-2008. He is in way over his head. Hiring these guys with no real coaching experience is a major mistake and then rather than surrounding him with good coaches they surrounded him with Schotenheimers son and a DC that everyone said in 2006 was simply a 1 year stop gap compounded the situation. I know Im way down right now after todays game, but my own feeling is that we are about to move into that post-spike era of football. Thats how bad this is.

Great write-up as always. I disagree that we need to question the Mangini hire. I know some people were against it, but hindsight is 20/20, and although many had reservations about his lack of experience, our alternatives were guys like Mike Tice. Mangini clearly hasn't worked out, but 2006 was a bad year for coaching hires, IIRC. And who could have predicted that literally every single head coach spawned by the Belichick tree would be an abject failure? It's funny to say it, but Mangini is the most successful coach produced by that Pats dynasty. Mind-boggling.

Other than that, I think things could improve--I still think this is a good roster, and I still like our drafting/FA moves, for the most part. But the key is to fire Mangini, right now, period, and get a real coach in here.

If we keep Mangini around, I foresee his ceiling being a rich man's Herm Edwards. The only difference is that while Herm would feast on crappy teams and get blown out by good ones, Mangini is good for about 2 tantalizing wins per year against good teams and 2+ inexplicable losses per year against horrible teams. Bottom line: Mangini moves us sideways from Herm, not forward. We're still only good enough for 10 wins a year (schedule permitting). We still have no identity. We still get outcoached regularly. We still can't hang with the big boys on a consistent basis.

We have to fire Mangini. That's it. The only problem is...

I don't understand how Mangina doesn't get fired.

I do!!!

pg6e.jpg

Our owner happens to be the one guy in the Jets organization who knows less about running a winning football team than Eric Mangini does, and the decision is ultimately his. Either he reads the tea leaves and fires fatass now--when we have a talented roster, a good FO, and a shot at guys like Cowher and Spagnuolo--or he settles for mediocrity. No points for guessing what's more likely.

Today was not a good day.

Funny how when I post that Favre is done you call me Penningtonfag or something like that and when he say the same thing it's "good stuff".

LOL

Great post BTW Jason, agree completely with just about all.

Yea, you've been kind of openly rooting for Favre and the Jets to fail all year. Jason hasn't. So there's the difference..

Great write-up as always. I disagree that we need to question the Mangini hire. I know some people were against it, but hindsight is 20/20, and although many had reservations about his lack of experience, our alternatives were guys like Mike Tice. Mangini clearly hasn't worked out, but 2006 was a bad year for coaching hires, IIRC. And who could have predicted that literally every single head coach spawned by the Belichick tree would be an abject failure? It's funny to say it, but Mangini is the most successful coach produced by that Pats dynasty. Mind-boggling.

Other than that, I think things could improve--I still think this is a good roster, and I still like our drafting/FA moves, for the most part. But the key is to fire Mangini, right now, period, and get a real coach in here.

If we keep Mangini around, I foresee his ceiling being a rich man's Herm Edwards. The only difference is that while Herm would feast on crappy teams and get blown out by good ones, Mangini is good for about 2 tantalizing wins per year against good teams and 2+ inexplicable losses per year against horrible teams. Bottom line: Mangini moves us sideways from Herm, not forward. We're still only good enough for 10 wins a year (schedule permitting). We still have no identity. We still get outcoached regularly. We still can't hang with the big boys on a consistent basis.

We have to fire Mangini. That's it. The only problem is...

I do!!!

pg6e.jpg

Our owner happens to be the one guy in the Jets organization who knows less about running a winning football team than Eric Mangini does, and the decision is ultimately his. Either he reads the tea leaves and fires fatass now--when we have a talented roster, a good FO, and a shot at guys like Cowher and Spagnuolo--or he settles for mediocrity. No points for guessing what's more likely.

Today was not a good day.

Im not sure Id say Mangini is the most successful. He had one miracle year. So did Weis, which made him rich, and so did Crennel that had him keep his job one extra year. To me they are all the same in terms of success. I think part of the coaching search that year was our own fault. We didnt really even look anywhere. The story was out early that it was Mangini even when Herm was still here and the only other guy we considered was Tice because he was a local guy. Kubiak was already locked into Houston, Childress isnt much better than Mangini, and the rest of the guys pretty much stink though Payton and McCarthy might at least bring a little more excitement to the field, but both underachieve.

I agree on everything else. He is just a different version of Herm and our owner not being a football guy hurts with these searches.

Archived