Did Mangini Call The Defense?

Maxman

We talked about it -- there were reports saying that Mangini was going to take over the play calling and was more involved in meetings.

Did that happen? I saw him with the cheat sheet in his hands but the announcers were too busy rooting for Seattle to mention anything that would help in the way of providing actual insight to the fans.

We talked about it -- there were reports saying that Mangini was going to take over the play calling and was more involved in meetings.

Did that happen? I saw him with the cheat sheet in his hands but the announcers were too busy rooting for Seattle to mention anything that would help in the way of providing actual insight to the fans.

No. Mandisa from the Flight Crew took over the Defense this week. Everyone misunderstood.

Mandisa-headshot-large.jpg

Sutton is the obvious scapegoat.

If Mangini took over the playcalling, he still failed to bring pressure. Steve Tasker was killing the Jets for not bringing the pressure.

What's the problem? The Seahawks had 5 backups (including a 3rd string LT) on the OL. Obviously rushing 3 of our 1st string players gave the Jets the advantage as they can easily overwhelm 5 backups. The strategy was brilliant, it was just the execution that didn't work out.

What's the problem? The Seahawks had 5 backups (including a 3rd string LT) on the OL. Obviously rushing 3 of our 1st string players gave the Jets the advantage as they can easily overwhelm 5 backups. The strategy was brilliant, it was just the execution that didn't work out.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Even with a backup OLine, with a TE or RB blocking that gives 2 blockers for each defender. In other words, the 3 Jets Dlineman were each double-teamed. How is that a "brilliant" strategy on Mangini's part?

Even with a backup OLine, with a TE or RB blocking that gives 2 blockers for each defender. In other words, the 3 Jets Dlineman were each double-teamed. How is that a "brilliant" strategy on Mangini's part?

He was joking, he just didn't use a smiley.

Of course I am being scarcastic, the Jets should have been blitzing getting off the bus. Blitz and stunts to confuse inexperienced / marginal players.

Of course I am being scarcastic, the Jets should have been blitzing getting off the bus. Blitz and stunts to confuse inexperienced / marginal players.

My bad, GDNA. Very good use of sarcasm.

I'm still emotionally numb since yesterday (a sort of forced autistic state) so understanding emotional subtexts in posts at the moment is beyond me.

My bad, GDNA. Very good use of sarcasm.

I'm still emotionally numb since yesterday (a sort of forced autistic state) so understanding emotional subtexts in posts at the moment is beyond me.

I didn't use the smiley because I am not in a smiley mood today. I'm disgusted.

I didn't use the smiley beacause I am not in a smiley mood today. I'm disgusted.

I have not posted anything on this since last years 4-12.....but, after watching this team play yesterday I can't help but say that the Head Coach, Defensive and Offensive Coordinators must go. We need a proven winner like Cowher in here. Pay him the millions that he wants and hand over the reigns. This coaching staff is a joke period. We have the talent to compete and beat the best teams in the NFL. Having lost 4 games on the west coach is indicative of coaching and being properly prepared to play. Having lost to Denver at home was a joke cause even mangini admitted that they had a bad practice week. Having lost to the raiders, 49ner's, Seahawks is not acceptable by any standard. We were 8-3 and the coaching allowed the players to sleep walk through the next few games. This is unacceptable. Where is the energy level and the intensity and the emotion from the head coach? where is his head when you don't go for it on 4th and less than a foot? And then you go for it on 4th down on your 25?? Where is the running game? Where is the blitz? What is going on with this coaching staff?

We need a professional head coach who has won a super bowl in here NOW. As long As I have that guy at least I know that he would know what it takes to win cause he has. Don't be fooled at all, we have the talent to win and we can, what's lacking is a professional head coach and a professional coaching staff that doesn't throw a 30 yard pass on 3 and 1 or 2 and 3. The reason why our playoff hopes are all but done is because the head coach and his coaching staff are so disconnected from basic football stragety that it's almost a joke. Listen to all the comentary this week, listen to all the experts and all of them in a very kind way are pointing to the coaching staff.

Since Parcells left, we have been strapped by half baked coaches while the Jets have been somewhat successful inspite of...I for one am so tired of this and I know you guys are too. This organization is being run by non-football people and being coached by guys that have no business coaching....Sorry but that's the truth.....

The seahawks LT was absolute garbage yesterday. Pace destroyed him both times he went up against him - THE ONLY TIMES HE WENT UP AGAINST HIM.

How do you not send pressure against a 2nd team O-line???????? HOW THE F DO YOU NOT DO IT!!!????

EXACTLY MY POINT.....That's not the players...thats coaching and it has finally burned us right out of the playoffs again.....Beat Miami?, have either the Pats or ravens lose? We have to be kidding ourselves.......

In American football or Canadian football, a blitz or red dog is a team defensive maneuver in which one or more linebackers or defensive backs, who normally remain on the defensive team's side of the line of scrimmage during a play, are instead sent across the line to the offensive side to try to tackle the quarterback or disrupt his pass attempt. The name of the play is taken from Blitzkrieg, the German strategy of "Lightning War" during World War II.

In American football or Canadian football, a blitz or red dog is a team defensive maneuver in which one or more linebackers or defensive backs, who normally remain on the defensive team's side of the line of scrimmage during a play, are instead sent across the line to the offensive side to try to tackle the quarterback or disrupt his pass attempt. The name of the play is taken from Blitzkrieg, the German strategy of "Lightning War" during World War II.

Thats the problem. Mangini kept calling for the blitzkrieg and the players couldnt understand why the coach was calling for a blitz on a former Seahawks QB.

Strictly speaking, the red dog, (or dog) is when you send the linebackers over the line of scrimmage, the blitz is when you send the secondary.

Not too many people bother with the distinction much anymore, though.

Also, occasionally you can have a "run blitz" where you send people over the line looking to tackle a running back, if you are sure it's going to be a handoff. But most of the time the goal is the QB.

Whatever it is, we sure don't do enough of it.

Sutton is the obvious scapegoat.

If Mangini took over the playcalling, he still failed to bring pressure. Steve Tasker was killing the Jets for not bringing the pressure.

From a Boston newspaper right after Mangini signed with us. I keep saying that Bellichick pulled play calling duties from Mangini the 1 year he was DC because I remember a night game on National TV when Bellichick on camera screamed at Mangini and took the play calling sheet from him. They showed it in slow motion before going to a commercial break.

This somewhat backs it up but if nothing else, it shows that even when he was DC in New England, he was passive then also to the point Bellichick (who we all know is the best defensive mind in the NFL) had to step in and tell him to quit being such a damn baby with his play calling:

Mangini's youth is predictably seen as a liability and in his first year as defensive coordinator in New England, he grappled a little with changing his management style from coach to coordinator. For instance, he quizzed defensive players on their teammates' responsibilities, an exercise which eventually made members of the defensive line wonder why they had to learn what the cornerbacks were doing. Mangini was also slow to change the struggling Patriots' defensive style during midseason. After a loss at Kansas City, Belichick encouraged putting more pressure on the weak lineup of opposing quarterbacks the Patriots were about to face and the New England defense began to sparkle.
This proves what a lot of us have been saying:

1. The Pats defense struggled big time under Mangini to the point Bill B had to step in and they had their worst statistical season (defensively) of their dyansty teams

2. These passive defenses we see is not Bob Sutton's defense, it is Eric Mangini's defense and was his way of defense even before he got here.

3. Replacing Sutton only is a cop-out as Mangini is the real guy to blame. They both need to go, not only one of them.

From a Boston newspaper right after Mangini signed with us. I keep saying that Bellichick pulled play calling duties from Mangini the 1 year he was DC because I remember a night game on National TV when Bellichick on camera screamed at Mangini and took the play calling sheet from him. They showed it in slow motion before going to a commercial break.

This somewhat backs it up but if nothing else, it shows that even when he was DC in New England, he was passive then also to the point Bellichick (who we all know is the best defensive mind in the NFL) had to step in and tell him to quit being such a damn baby with his play calling:

This proves what a lot of us have been saying:

1. The Pats defense struggled big time under Mangini to the point Bill B had to step in and they had their worst statistical season (defensively) of their dyansty teams

2. These passive defenses we see is not Bob Sutton's defense, it is Eric Mangini's defense and was his way of defense even before he got here.

3. Replacing Sutton only is a cop-out as Mangini is the real guy to blame. They both need to go, not only one of them.

Great find and great post - POTWN

Mangini is worse then Herm, he can't coach and he can't motivate. Atleast Herm could motivate.

Great find and great post - POTWN

Mangini is worse then Herm, he can't coach and he can't motivate. Atleast Herm could motivate.

Thanks. Bumping the thread so others can see it also.

It is Mangini! Sutton is just an accomplice to the crime.

Thanks. Bumping the thread so others can see it also.

It is Mangini! Sutton is just an accomplice to the crime.

I've been saying this for months, Sutton is just a puppet. Oh well I don't care to argue with Jets fans anymore anyway, I'm a Giants fan now.

Sutton should be fired immediately. hire me. I think I could make up a better game plan on short notice.

As bad as he is, you would be worse.

Plus then you couldn't drink during the game and that would make you cranky.

Amen. We won't be that lucky though. Manweenie will not get canned, Sutton will be sacrificed, and we will likely have the fruit of Marty Schottenheimers loins amazing us every week with new variations of how to go 3 and out.

I know as I type that we won't be blessed with the formal sh!tcanning of this gutless pile of excrement for another year. Wait till the Shotty magic needs to work with no QB next year - that should get us back to 4 or 5 wins and a housecleaning for 2010.

Amen. We won't be that lucky though. Manweenie will not get canned, Sutton will be sacrificed, and we will likely have the fruit of Marty Schottenheimers loins amazing us every week with new variations of how to go 3 and out.

I know as I type that we won't be blessed with the formal sh!tcanning of this gutless pile of excrement for another year. Wait till the Shotty magic needs to work with no QB next year - that should get us back to 4 or 5 wins and a housecleaning for 2010.

I really don't think Schotty is a bad coordinator. The team lead the AFC in scoring before that game. Perfect, no. Young, yes. But far from the problem.

The biggest problem imo is with the tone that Mangini is setting. Too conservative.

Archived