Bill Cowher's Record?

SoFlaJets

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Missed the playoffs three years in a row once. You guys would want his head if he did that here.

he built up a lot of capital before that with 6 years running in the playoffs RS-we should sign him to like a 7 year contract and say see what you can do-here's a beautiful house in Jersey-lotta woods around-your wife will love it-it's almost as nice as North Carolina

he built up a lot of capital before that with 6 years running in the playoffs RS-we should sign him to like a 7 year contract and say see what you can do-here's a beautiful house in Jersey-lotta woods around-your wife will love it-it's almost as nice as North Carolina

Cowher went as far as his coordinators and talent took him. He lost Lebeau and went through a funk until he got him back. Pitt won before him and are winning after him. He is not the answer. I like Cowher - but I don't think he will be the automatic answer you guys think he will. We need to start by getting a GM. Perhaps Holmgren will consider the job. We need a good full time GM to start with. Rod Woodson always talks about how Lebeau is more important to the success of the Steelers than Cowher or anyone else for bringing blitzburgh back.

Don't you people get it? Bill Cowher is not going to come here and win anything. Haven't we done this enough already. He'll come here with the loftiest of expectations that us retarded fans like to put on a team that deserves NO expectations regardless of coach/players/owner they have. Then he'll sh*t the bed too. When I say sh*t the bed I mean maybe he's here 3-4 years and wins a playoff game or 2 and gets ripped by the fans for not bringing this team to the Super Bowl in that time frame.

Face it, if you ever want to see a successful football season....look elsewhere. Failure lingers over this team like flys over death.

Bill Cowher is not the savior, he just happens to be the biggest name out there. The only way this team will ever get anywhere is when Jets fans carry no expectations and put no pressure on them. We carry this desperation for success around our necks like a noose only to have the chair kicked out from underneath us every time.

So my solution if you want the Jets to win anything....don't give a sh*t about them. Treat them as if we're the abusive boyfriend. Trust me, they deserve it.

Team Year Regular Season Post Season

Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result

PIT 1992 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Buffalo Bills in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1993 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Kansas City Chiefs in AFC Wild-Card Game.

PIT 1994 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1995 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX.

PIT 1996 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1997 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1998 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 1999 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 2000 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC Central - - - -

PIT 2001 13 3 0 .812 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2002 10 5 1 .656 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to Tennessee Titans in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 2003 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC North - - - -

PIT 2004 15 1 0 .938 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2005 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC North 4 0 1.000 Super Bowl XL Champions.

PIT 2006 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -

PIT Total 149 90 1 .623 12 9 .571

Total[10] 149 90 1 .623 12 9 .571

sign me up +1000

Missed the playoffs three years in a row once. You guys would want his head if he did that here.

:rolleyes:

1992 - Playoff 1 and Done (QB Neil O'Donnell, Bubby Brister)

1993 - Playoff 1 and Done (QB Neil O'Donnell)

1994 - Made Conf Championship (QB Neil O'Donnell)

1995 - SuperBowl Loss To Cowboys (QB Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart)

1996 - Playoff Win (QB Mike Tomczak)

1997 - Made Conf Championship (QB Kordell Stewart)

1998 - No Playoffs (QB Kordell Stewart)

1999 - No Playoffs (QB Kordell Stewart)

2000 - No Playoffs (QB Kordell Stewart)

2001 - Made Conf Championship (QB Kordell Stewart)

2002 - Playoff Win (QB Tommy Maddox)

2003 - Missed Playoffs (QB Tommy Maddox)

2004 - Made Conf Championship (QB Big Ben, Tommy Maddox)

2005 - Superbowl Win (QB Big Ben, Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch)

2006 - Missed Playoffs (QB Big Ben)

Thats 6 times he made it to the AFC Championship game...

Went to two superbowls... one in only his 4th season...

Won a superbowl

Made it to the AFC Championship with Kordell Stewart more than once...

Made it to the playoffs his first SIX seasons... including 3 AFC championships and a superbowl...

dont even DARE compare him to Mangini...

Cowher went as far as his coordinators and talent took him. He lost Lebeau and went through a funk until he got him back. Pitt won before him and are winning after him. He is not the answer. I like Cowher - but I don't think he will be the automatic answer you guys think he will. We need to start by getting a GM. Perhaps Holmgren will consider the job. We need a good full time GM to start with. Rod Woodson always talks about how Lebeau is more important to the success of the Steelers than Cowher or anyone else for bringing blitzburgh back.

:rl::rl:

Nice try!

Yeah, I've pretty much resigned myself to that reality.

Sickening. I hate them so much. I've been completely turned off to sports since that game. I've tried turning ESPN only to click off after like 2 minutes. If I wasn't so addicted to this site I'd have taken a 5 month absence (popped in for the draft to find out how we wasted our first rounder in '09).

:rolleyes:

1992 - Playoff 1 and Done (QB Neil O'Donnell, Bubby Brister)

1993 - Playoff 1 and Done (QB Neil O'Donnell)

1994 - Made Conf Championship (QB Neil O'Donnell)

1995 - SuperBowl Loss To Cowboys (QB Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart)

1996 - Playoff Win (QB Mike Tomczak)

1997 - Made Conf Championship (QB Kordell Stewart)

1998 - No Playoffs (QB Kordell Stewart)

1999 - No Playoffs (QB Kordell Stewart)

2000 - No Playoffs (QB Kordell Stewart)

2001 - Made Conf Championship (QB Kordell Stewart)

2002 - Playoff Win (QB Tommy Maddox)

2003 - Missed Playoffs (QB Tommy Maddox)

2004 - Made Conf Championship (QB Big Ben, Tommy Maddox)

2005 - Superbowl Win (QB Big Ben, Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch)

2006 - Missed Playoffs (QB Big Ben)

Thats 6 times he made it to the AFC Championship game...

Went to two superbowls... one in only his 4th season...

Won a superbowl

Made it to the AFC Championship with Kordell Stewart more than once...

Made it to the playoffs his first SIX seasons... including 3 AFC championships and a superbowl...

dont even DARE compare him to Mangini...

Pitt won before and after he was there. I wouldn't complain if the Jets got him - but you guys would need to get your expectations down. He will not come here and automatically turn things around and win a championship. We are reportedly 8 million above the cap without Favre in the picture. What we need is a GM and a good front office in here that can consistently draft and develop talent so that we do not need to go out there and spend the kind of money we had to last offseason. I would just rather start there. Finally, like I've said a million times Cowher won thanks to talent and coaching and did not turn chicken feathers into chicken soup.

Pitt won before and after he was there. I wouldn't complain if the Jets got him - but you guys would need to get your expectations down. He will not come here and automatically turn things around and win a championship. We are reportedly 8 million above the cap without Favre in the picture. What we need is a GM and a good front office in here that can consistently draft and develop talent so that we do not need to go out there and spend the kind of money we had to last offseason. I would just rather start there. Finally, like I've said a million times Cowher won thanks to talent and coaching and did not turn chicken feathers into chicken soup.

you are a tool

Pitt lost more good players than anyone due to rooney penny pinching, yet

he still won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IDK RSJ-Mike T is about the ONLY guy I'm NOT pissed at. He's done some good stuff for this team-can he fire Mangini though is the REAL test to come-after we lose Sunday....

you are a tool

Pitt lost more good players than anyone due to rooney penny pinching, yet

he still won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because he had a great scouting department and great assistants. Don't listen to me though, go ask Rod Woodson how important Lebeau is to that defense. Tomlin never even coached a 3-4 before going to Pitt. He was one of Dungy's boys. That defense is 100% Lebeau. Cowher wasn't even a 3-4 coach before going to Pitt.

Cowher won consistantly with average-good teams and whenever he got good enough talent he took them deep and twice to the superbowl... you need talent to win it all, of course he had talent... but he made the most out of what he had... the guy NEVER had a true franchise QB... EVER

Sickening. I hate them so much. I've been completely turned off to sports since that game. I've tried turning ESPN only to click off after like 2 minutes. If I wasn't so addicted to this site I'd have taken a 5 month absence (popped in for the draft to find out how we wasted our first rounder in '09).

Sigh. :lol:

I'm just looking forward to the new year; I'm finally getting it all together, my daughter graduates HS in June, I'm getting more involved with positive things like my church and I'll be moving to Tennessee real soon and I know things will get so much better. I feel like I have a real good network and I'm just at peace with it all. I know God's not going to drop me on my head after carrying me all this way.

The Jets will just be one more bad trip fading off into the distance in my rearview mirror as I'm heading down RT 80 for the PA border....

\:D/

IDK RSJ-Mike T is about the ONLY guy I'm NOT pissed at. He's done some good stuff for this team-can he fire Mangini though is the REAL test to come-after we lose Sunday....

I hear you - but I just haven't been that impressed with our drafts. Mike T is a great cap guy and I wouldn't want to lose him. I just think we need a season GM to turn this thing around.

Because he had a great scouting department and great assistants. Don't listen to me though, go ask Rod Woodson how important Lebeau is to that defense. Tomlin never even coached a 3-4 before going to Pitt. He was one of Dungy's boys. That defense is 100% Lebeau. Cowher wasn't even a 3-4 coach before going to Pitt.

so what's the alternative my brother? Keep Mangini? No thanks not after the worst collapse this team has ever seen-this is worse than those last 2 4 win season-at least we KNEW what we were-horrible

Cowher won consistantly with average-good teams and whenever he got good enough talent he took them deep and twice to the superbowl... you need talent to win it all, of course he had talent... but he made the most out of what he had... the guy NEVER had a true franchise QB... EVER

He did? Because Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene left and then went to the NFC Championship game in 1996 with Kerry Collins at QB as a rookie. Porter left and has made an impact on the Phins. Burress left and won a Super Bowl last season with the Giants. The list of players that left and still contributed to good teams is a mile long. He did not win with Troy Brown at CB so get the thought that he is THAT good of a coach out of your heads.

I'm just looking forward to the new year; I'm finally getting it all together, my daughter graduates HS in June, I'm getting more involved with positive things like my church and I'll be moving to Tennessee real soon and I know things will get so much better. I feel like I have a real good network and I'm just at peace with it all. I know God's not going to drop me on my head after carrying me all this way.

The Jets will just be one more bad trip fading off into the distance in my rearview mirror as I'm heading down RT 80 for the PA border....

I agree JM-great attitude-I was saying the same kind of stuff in a PM to DMaynard a little while ago-about how this has really been a great year and no Jets team could ruin it for me-screw them...things are going to get better and the Jets will have a whole new legion of fans to torture for the next 40 years-withOUT me

in 15 yrs 240 games 149 wins 90 losses 1 tie .623 %

Oh yea and he's won 12 of 21 playoff games-how'd you guys like to watch the Jets play 21 playoff games over the next 15 years? yea me too

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CowhBi0.htm

to put that in better perspective...in my 39 years alive, they have made the playoffs 11 times. 11 times. 4 of those have come in the past 7 years.

Are you becoming a Titans fan then? Jeff Fisher, now that's a coach who I'd love to have. I was hoping that Titans were going to be dumb enough to fire him when they went 5-11 a few seasons ago.

I have one more semester at Queens College left and then I'm going to be looking for an actuarial job. I'm probably going to have to move because of the market in NY. Maybe it'll be a good idea to start fresh with another team.

As far as positive actions, once I'm done with school I really want to get involved in volunteering. Making a positive difference is always the best remedy for feeling like this.

so what's the alternative my brother? Keep Mangini? No thanks not after the worst collapse this team has ever seen-this is worse than those last 2 4 win season-at least we KNEW what we were-horrible

Assuming we lose to the Phins this weekend which I think the odds are pretty good, personally. I would go out and throw as much money as I could at Mike Homgren to convince him to come in here and shape the team however he wants to. Holmgren has won in multiple places, including Seatle which no one thought anyone could do (because they are so far away from other teams any road game is a major trip). Holmgren has won with tons of different coaches and players and he may be able to convince Favre to give it one more season. I assume Holmgren would try to retool and make one more run with this core group before blowing it up. I personally think that is a better solution. If you bring in Cowher, sign him to a 7 year deal, what do you do if he sucks after 3 years? You hire a GM? It would be hard to find one when the coach is already in place. It all starts at the top with the Jets.

Good HC's surround themselves with competent coaches!!

parcells had mumbles

WTF is your point!!!!!

Good HC's surround themselves with competent coaches!!

parcells had mumbles

WTF is your point!!!!!

Mumbles has lost just about everyone he started with in New England. And I do not recall mumbles coaching for the Phins or Cowboys recently.

Assuming we lose to the Phins this weekend which I think the odds are pretty good, personally. I would go out and throw as much money as I could at Mike Homgren to convince him to come in here and shape the team however he wants to. Holmgren has won in multiple places, including Seatle which no one thought anyone could do (because they are so far away from other teams any road game is a major trip). Holmgren has won with tons of different coaches and players and he may be able to convince Favre to give it one more season. I assume Holmgren would try to retool and make one more run with this core group before blowing it up. I personally think that is a better solution. If you bring in Cowher, sign him to a 7 year deal, what do you do if he sucks after 3 years? You hire a GM? It would be hard to find one when the coach is already in place. It all starts at the top with the Jets.

at least Holmgrem is an NFL-caliber head coach-not another experiment like Groh/Edwards/Mangini have all been. Johnson's owned the team since 2000 and hasn't been able to lure one real coach here. Why do WE always have to be the guinea pigs?

I don't know if Cowher would win a Super Bowl here or not. Certainly not in the first year.

But I DO know this. A Jet team with Cowher at the helm would be playing their butts off at the end of the year, win or lose. If someone screwed up, they'd get their a$$ reamed right there on the sideline. There would be no slacking off, and there would be some accountability, unlike now where all that happens is the HC's gum gets cracked again.

Tell me THAT would not be a refreshing change for Jets fans to see. That would be a team I could be proud of instead of the choking dogs we've seen recently.

at least Holmgrem is an NFL-caliber head coach-not another experiment like Groh/Edwards/Mangini have all been. Johnson's owned the team since 2000 and hasn't been able to lure one real coach here. Why do WE always have to be the guinea pigs?

I agree 100% and that's why I'm not totally against Cowher. I just think Holgren, even if he just takes the GM role would be a vital asset to the organization and one we haven't had since Parcells left.

I don't know if Cowher would win a Super Bowl here or not. Certainly not in the first year.

But I DO know this. A Jet team with Cowher at the helm would be playing their butts off at the end of the year, win or lose. If someone screwed up, they'd get their a$$ reamed right there on the sideline. There would be no slacking off, and there would be some accountability, unlike now where all that happens is the HC's gum gets cracked again.

Tell me THAT would not be a refreshing change for Jets fans to see. That would be a team I could be proud of instead of the choking dogs we've seen recently.

It would be - but screaming and Yelling didn't get Jim Mora very far or Schotty SR. There is more to it than that.

Archived