**BREAKING NEWS!!**-Teixiera to YANKEES!!!!!!!!

Vudu

This definitely makes CF much less of a concern. Gardner or Melky I am okay with either. They will bat 9th, hopefully hit .240 and catch fly balls.

I actually like the corner outfielders Damon and Nady. So I am okay with either CFer. Gardner will get a long look because of his base stealing ability. He could steal 40 bases if they let him run and he played a full season.

Edit: Just saw your Swish comment. I could be wrong but I think RF is for Nady. Swish will get plenty of playing time but he will be the odd man out imo.

Gardner maybe, Melky NO. Avg fielder at best, with a Damon-esc arm. Pass. If you are going to punt on offense in CF, get a TRUE defensive CF.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if Gardner only hits .240 he'll still be an extremely dangerous player.

How?

Anyone who gets on base < 35% of the time is not a dangerous player unless they can drive in runs with those hits. Gardner had a .283 OBP. A speed player with absolutely no power who gets on base 28.3% of the time? In the national league, they call that a good hitting pitcher.

How?

Anyone who gets on base < 35% of the time is not a dangerous player unless they can drive in runs with those hits. Gardner had a .283 OBP. A speed player with absolutely no power who gets on base 28.3% of the time? In the national league, they call that a good hitting pitcher.

He's probably the fastest player in the major leagues, if you haven't noticed. I know you can't steal 1st, but if he has about .300 OBP, he could steal about 50 bags a year. You're telling me Mike Cameron, and his 150 K's is better? You're telling me Melky with the equal hitting potential, and less speed is better?

Have you actually watched the games? Gardner can be the most dangerous player on the base paths. He hit above .290 in August, and September last year after his second call up. It wouldn't hurt to have someone like him batting ninth in the lineup.

If you have lets say...

Damon

Jeter

A-Rod

Teixeira

Posada

Nady

Matsui

Cano

Gardner

What the hell is wrong with that lineup? Who knows they still may add Manny. What is wrong with having Gardner in the lineup with all that hitting in the lineup. It doesn't hurt to have speed in the lineup, incase you didn't know.

He's probably the fastest player in the major leagues, if you haven't noticed. I know you can't steal 1st, but if he has about .300 OBP, he could steal about 50 bags a year. You're telling me Mike Cameron, and his 150 K's is better? You're telling me Melky with the equal hitting potential, and less speed is better?

Have you actually watched the games? Gardner can be the most dangerous player on the base paths. He hit above .290 in August, and September last year after his second call up. It wouldn't hurt to have someone like him batting ninth in the lineup.

If you have lets say...

Damon

Jeter

A-Rod

Teixeira

Posada

Nady

Matsui

Cano

Gardner

What the hell is wrong with that lineup? Who knows they still may add Manny. What is wrong with having Gardner in the lineup with all that hitting in the lineup. It doesn't hurt to have speed in the lineup, incase you didn't know.

Stealing bases is the most overrated thing. With that lineup, which I don't agree with it's configuration, but still the top 4 are studs, I agree.

An automatic out, which basically gardner is, hurts a lineup no matter how many studs you put in it. It kills rallies.

I'm not saying you need another 10M+ guy in CF, but you need someone who can hit a little. I don't care how f'ing fast he is, if he's getting on bases < 35% of the time, his speed is negated. Gardner is better than Melky though.

The lineup as I see it.

Damon

Jeter

AROD (I think he should hit 4th, not 3rd, but his ego will get in the way)

Teixiera

Nady

Posada

Swisher

Cano

Gardner

No way Matsui, at this stage in his career, can play the outfield. Damon can play left, so maybe you do that, but I think the team is stronger with Swisher. I wouldn't count on big #s from Posada either, so don't get too excited there. He'll be on the bench A LOT (40-60 games MINIMUM).....

Stealing bases is the most overrated thing. With that lineup, which I don't agree with it's configuration, but still the top 4 are studs, I agree.

An automatic out, which basically gardner is, hurts a lineup no matter how many studs you put in it. It kills rallies.

I'm not saying you need another 10M+ guy in CF, but you need someone who can hit a little. I don't care how f'ing fast he is, if he's getting on bases < 35% of the time, his speed is negated. Gardner is better than Melky though.

The lineup as I see it.

Damon

Jeter

AROD (I think he should hit 4th, not 3rd, but his ego will get in the way)

Teixiera

Nady

Posada

Swisher

Cano

Gardner

No way Matsui, at this stage in his career, can play the outfield. Damon can play left, so maybe you do that, but I think the team is stronger with Swisher. I wouldn't count on big #s from Posada either, so don't get too excited there. He'll be on the bench A LOT (40-60 games MINIMUM).....

Well I don't have Matsui in the outfield, I am thinking of him as the DH, Damon in LF, Gardner in CF, and Nady in RF. Matsui is a better bat then Swisher.

Well I don't have Matsui in the outfield, I am thinking of him as the DH, Damon in LF, Gardner in CF, and Nady in RF. Matsui is a better bat then Swisher.

matsui's definetely DH material this year. if i recall correctly, he actually hits better as an outfielder (maybe I have him mistook for Giambi in that scenerio) but still, he's a liability in the OF

I read these rumors online, and I believe it's from Peter Gammons on ESPN Radio.

Matsui is getting interest from the Giants, Dodgers, and Mariners. I think it's already been discussed Matsui to Seattle for Pitcher, Erik Bedard.

Gammons also is saying I think Ian Kennedy, and possibly Melky Cabrera to the Royals for OFer David DeJesus.

Bedard is an injury prone pitcher, but he's very good. I would do that DeJesus trade in a second.

Even if Gardner only hits .240 he'll still be an extremely dangerous player.

Why? He walked 8 times in 127 AB's. His K rate stinks. Sure he can steal bases but a .230 hitter who doesn't walk and strikes out a lot is not a extremely dangerous player.

Let's allow this guy to show an ounce of ability before we start the hype. We have all been through this with Melky for 3 years now so let's allow Gardner to approach a 270 BA before calling him a dangerous player.

Also.... do you have a link to this Matsui for Bedard rumor?

Why? He walked 8 times in 127 AB's. His K rate stinks. Sure he can steal bases but a .230 hitter who doesn't walk and strikes out a lot is not a extremely dangerous player.

Let's allow this guy to show an ounce of ability before we start the hype. We have all been through this with Melky for 3 years now so let's allow Gardner to approach a 270 BA before calling him a dangerous player.

Also.... do you have a link to this Matsui for Bedard rumor?

Well I don't see the point in making a trade for Cameron, I do however would love to have DeJesus on the Yankees, and Gardner on the bench as a late game runner on the base paths. You really can't do better then Gardner if you're down late and you have a guy on first.

The link for that rumor is on the espn boards, here you go...

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=mlb&id=nyy&tid=4046800&lid=103

Gammons was just reporting earlier this morning on ESPN radio that the Yankees are looking to move Matsui to either the Mariners, Giants, or Dodgers, as all three teams would likely be approved by him, as he does have a no trade clause. The discussions with the Mariners center around Erik Bedard, as the money is close to being equal. The Yanks are trying to move Matsui as they want to improve their defense and also see them playing Damon in left, with Melky most likely in centerfield, and Nady in right. They think they will need to DH Posada once in a while.

Gammons also said they are exploring a trade of Ian Kennedy to the Royals for David DeJesus, as this would solve their centerfield issue as well, and DeJesus is a Brooklyn guy who can play centerfield, bats left, with some pop, and good speed, and has contract around 2 million, so he fits, their budget and would allow them to bring back Pettitte.

Well I don't see the point in making a trade for Cameron, I do however would love to have DeJesus on the Yankees, and Gardner on the bench as a late game runner on the base paths. You really can't do better then Gardner if you're down late and you have a guy on first.

The link for that rumor is on the espn boards, here you go...

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=mlb&id=nyy&tid=4046800&lid=103

Gammons was just reporting earlier this morning on ESPN radio that the Yankees are looking to move Matsui to either the Mariners, Giants, or Dodgers, as all three teams would likely be approved by him, as he does have a no trade clause. The discussions with the Mariners center around Erik Bedard, as the money is close to being equal. The Yanks are trying to move Matsui as they want to improve their defense and also see them playing Damon in left, with Melky most likely in centerfield, and Nady in right. They think they will need to DH Posada once in a while.

Gammons also said they are exploring a trade of Ian Kennedy to the Royals for David DeJesus, as this would solve their centerfield issue as well, and DeJesus is a Brooklyn guy who can play centerfield, bats left, with some pop, and good speed, and has contract around 2 million, so he fits, their budget and would allow them to bring back Pettitte.

Thanks for the link! That poster kinda backs what Lupica was saying in his column this morning.

IMO if the Mariners are moving Bedard for Matsui something is wrong with his arm.

Seriously, look what they gave up to get Bedard and 1 yr later they are talking about letting him go for a 34 yr old DH coming off injury? I think there are Yankee prospect(s) also in those talks.

Kennedy will be fine

This coming from a guy who doesn't mind trading youngsters

Kennedy and Hughes both will be fine

Hughes has a chance.

Ian Kennedy is a Greg Maddux style pitcher without Greg's fight, or control. He'll be done in 3 yrs.

Now not trading Hughes/Kennedy/Something else for Santana will be one of the bigger mistakes this organization could have made. If somehow the Royals will take him for DeJesus, the Royals are dumber than I thought.

Archived