Wright/Reyes Vs Jeter/Arod

Green Jets & Ham

Been hearing a lot of this comparison lately

Reminds of the mid 80's when Mets fans had the audacity to speak about Keith Hernandez in the same sentence as "PRE BACK INJURY" {i.e. Arguably the Best Player in the Game} Donald Arthur Mattingly

In other words, more wishful thinking from envious Mets fans and their Yankee hating allies :roll:

Let me see Wright put up a few seasons like A-Rod, or even get to 400 HRs by the end of his career, let alone before age 30. Or win an MVP or 2.

Let me see Reyes average almost 200 hits per season. Or score 100+ runs year in, year out.

Then we can talk. Sure, the kids are exciting. And they are having good seasons. But they are not yet in the same league as Jeter/A-Rod.

Who has the stupidity to compare the 2??

Lets see Reyes hit .349 with a .400 obp

It will never happen, he is a hack.

Wright, I love watchin this guy play. I think he'll be a perennial all-star. Not sure who'd I'd compare him too.....maybe Scott Rolen without the great glove but a more consistent bat. Before Rolen hit st.louis, I had him as 1 of the most overrated players in the game, he was a slightly above average hitter at best when he was a philly. But he was GREAT last season. I think Wrights bat compares similar.

BTW, has there ever been a more disingenuous jerk than Keith Hernandez?

He knew he was being compared to Don Mattingly ... knew it full well ... and knew that the idiots who made such a comparison were basing their ridculous argument on "team success" {because that's all they had} ... yet never once did this phony step up to the plate and admit the obvious, just to save face and kill such ridiculous nonsense

"Look folks, don't compare me to Don Mattingly because there is no comparison ... I'm a good ball player, perhaps even very good, but Don Mattingly is in a whole nother league"

Today the gap between Jeter/Arod and Wright/Reyes is JUST AS WIDE, and maybe WIDER

Can we please get that straight? :-k

Who has the stupidity to compare the 2??

Lets see Reyes hit .349 with a .400 obp

It will never happen, he is a hack.

You're young, EB ... too young to recall the mid 80's ... now you are getting a taste of the ridiculous comparisons we had to endure at the whim of dilusional Mets fans and their Yankee hating allies with Donnie Baseball Vs Keith Hernandez {who couldn't shine Mattingly's cleets}

Now they're taking it a step further ... now they want to compare some wet behind the ears neophyte {Wright} to the man who is on pace to become the All-Time HR King {Arod}

And some one year wonder {Reyes}, after years of Mets fans killing him for his suckiness, to a cat {Jeter} who is destined for the HOF

Shameless :roll:

Funny how ARod is a "True Yankee" now.

Wasn't it just one short post-season ago that the Yankee fan blamed Arod for the choke job while absolving the Captain for going MIA?

Funny how we no longer hear the Yankee fan tell us how Jeter is better than Arod or the face of Baseball.

Hernandez DID have a better career than Mattingly.

Hernandez DID win a MVP.

Hernandez DID win a World Series.

Hernandez was a better defensive 1st baseman.

Mattingly due to injury was a 4-5 year great.

I would never compare Wright to ARod but BOTH he and Reyes will be as good and in Wrights case (already) better than Jeter.

Mattingly had a much better peak, but Keith had a much better quality career

look at things that way.

Correct Mattingly for 3-4 years was close to the best in the game and a better power hitter than Hernandez. Long term and with the ring that Yank fans always use to give Jete the nod in any debate I have to go with Hernandez.

Not sure of the threads intention when Wright and Reyes are the real deal and Mets fans cant celebrate that but listened to Cano premature ROY posts along with Melky Cabrera nonsense.

Mattingly had a much better peak, but Keith had a much better quality career

I repeat, when Mattingly was at his peak ... PRE BACK INJURY ... being compared to Stan Musial with the stick and a perennial Gold Glove 1B as well ... dilusional Mets fans were suggesting Keith Hernandez was the better player

I KNOW ... I WAS THERE ... and it was the funniest thing I ever heard

I repeat, when Mattingly was at his peak ... PRE BACK INJURY ... being compared to Stan Musial ... dilusional Mets fans were suggesting Keith Hernandez was the better player

I KNOW ... I WAS THERE ... at it was the funniest thing I ever heard

Delusional Met fans were also winning a WS.

Mattingly had a much better peak, but Keith had a much better quality career[

Which is why making this comparison now is a little silly. I think A-Rod is an all-time great. Jeter is a HoFer. Wright has so far exhibited that kind of potential. He's better than Rolen; is he Mike Schmidt?History will tell.

The wildcard is Reyes. Still doesn't walk enough and strikes out too often.His defense is flashy rather than steady, but the same could be said of Jeter at his start. But his OBP has improved this year so those number could get better, which means he understands the strike zone and has adjusted. And speed doesn't take a holiday. Which means he's on his way. The fear had to be he would be a free-swinger in that Jimmy Rollins/Ray Durham mode, which only gets you so far. If he keeps progressing this might not be so crazy in around 5 years. But not yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5411

I must say, between Bugg and MBN, there are more solid, rational baseball posts in a day than we see from Yankee haters in a full season.

Facts, objectivity, and class...keep up the good work fellas.

Just crawling around the numbers-Wright is off to a better start by a bunch than Mike Schmidt, and Schmidt didn't get in the big leagues for good until he was 23; Wright's barely 22 now. Awright, I'm jumping the gun a bit. But Schmidt is the best 3b ever(other than may be A-Rod when he's done!)Very impressive.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schmimi01.shtml

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7382

Just crawling around the numbers-Wright is off to a better start by a bunch than Mike Schmidt, and Schmidt didn't get in the big leagues for good until he was 23; Wright's barely 22 now. Awright, I'm jumping the gun a bit. But Schmidt is the best 3b ever(other than may be A-Rod when he's done!)Very impressive.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schmimi01.shtml

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7382

:lol::lol::lol:

Of note, Jeter is a throw-in in that deal. There has never been a more over-rated player than Derek Jeter. Ever.

Not only that...you could take it a step further and accurately state that DJ is the most overrated player in all of sports!

As far as the debate goes...OMG, give me Wright and Reyes any day of the week! For what they cost, I can replace the production of Jeter and A-rod elsewhere on the roster and still have enough left for a top flight starter. Plus, with those 2 I wont miss a beat defensively. Its a no brainer if there ever was one! Plus, neither Reyes nor Wright seems to bring a palpable Curse with them like A-rod.

Just be careful, those of you who picked Wright and Reyes. Some of these Yankee fans will likely spin your selection, made clearly based on payroll into "OMG...you think David Wright is better than A-rod, A-rod is the best player in baseball, youre a homer"

A similar thing happened to me when discussing the merits of overpaying for a closer, even the great Mariano, versus getting value from a run-of-the-mill closer like Brandon Lyon. Soon, it became "JBF thinks Brandon Lyon is better than Mariano"

A word of caution...then again, consider the sources.

Not only that...you could take it a step further and accurately state that DJ is the most overrated player in all of sports!

As far as the debate goes...OMG, give me Wright and Reyes any day of the week! For what they cost, I can replace the production of Jeter and A-rod elsewhere on the roster and still have enough left for a top flight starter. Plus, with those 2 I wont miss a beat defensively. Its a no brainer if there ever was one! Plus, neither Reyes nor Wright seems to bring a palpable Curse with them like A-rod.

Just be careful, those of you who picked Wright and Reyes. Some of these Yankee fans will likely spin your selection, made clearly based on payroll into "OMG...you think David Wright is better than A-rod, A-rod is the best player in baseball, youre a homer"

A similar thing happened to me when discussing the merits of overpaying for a closer, even the great Mariano, versus getting value from a run-of-the-mill closer like Brandon Lyon. Soon, it became "JBF thinks Brandon Lyon is better than Mariano"

A word of caution...then again, consider the sources.

you'd be one horrible GM

taking brandon lyon, david wright and jose reyes over rivera, jeter and a-rod :lol:

what a cheapass you would be

you'd be one horrible GM

taking brandon lyon, david wright and jose reyes over rivera, jeter and a-rod :lol:

what a cheapass you would be

Heck with that...I could replace ALL of their production elsewhere, for much cheaper. And I would live and die by incentive-laden contracts!

If you doubt my ability to evaluate major league talent, peep my "pre-season predictions thread for who makes the playoffs." If we doled out points, I'd be your leader.

Another thing, if I were the Yankee GM...there would be no such thing as Juicin' Jason, Garroid, Pavano, Brown and Wright.

Vladdy however, would be wearing pinstripes.

Archived