Mangini Fired [Merged]

madmike1

Wow. Nice move Woody. I'm shocked, but I instantly feel better about this disaster. It was a good business decision as well as a good football decision. Now go after Cowher or Parcells..

This is why I believed and rooted for Miami yesterday!

The few hours of pain surely are worth the reward. :cheers:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Nice move Woody. I'm shocked, but I instantly feel better about this disaster. It was a good business decision as well as a good football decision. Now go after Cowher or Parcells..

Woody is serious about winning a championship. That's refreshing. It was the only logical decision. Mangini was in the last year of his contract in 2009. Why would Woody give him a 1 year extension so if Mangini messes up in 2009, Woody will still have to fire him and pay him an extra year. Now, he let Mangini only ruin 2008 rather than 2009 as well.

It was an interesting press conference. Woody took charge, but neither him nor Mike T wanted to bad-mouth Mangini.

Right after, I heard Benigno make fun of Woody throwing accolades Mangini's way. It took Evan Roberts to point out that the man just got fired and they didn't want to pull an Al Bavis. Benigno then says, "Oh yeah, it is better to take the high road." He's such an idiot.

This is why I believed and rooted for Miami yesterday!

The few hours of pain surely are worth the reward. :cheers:

He could've been fired anyway or not at all so it doesn't matter...

I kind of feel bad for the guy, whose going to hire him now? He's not even qualified to be a coordinator and nobody's giving him a HC gig..

There was one reporter who based on his questions was obviously on Mangini's side. One of his questions was, "With poor QB play and no pass rush, isn't it impossible for any coach to succeed?" Insinuating that Mangini was getting a raw deal.

Woody's answer was, "We didn't get what we should have out of the pass rush this year and that went into the decision making here."

Mangini's conservative defense got playcalling duties stripped from him during his one year as DC in New England and now it got him fired from his first head coaching job. Wonder if he'll learn his lesson if he gets another chance somewhere else. I doubt it though. Guy has proven to be a clown who can't think progressively on his feet.

I kind of feel bad for the guy, whose going to hire him now? He's not even qualified to be a coordinator and nobody's giving him a HC gig..

If we crushed Miami 34-7 yesterday there is a much better chance Eric returned next year. You and many others were saying he is returning next year irregardless of whether we win or lose.

I had a vision. An epiphany. I did the right thing in rooting for Miami yesterday and the Jets are better off today having lost than they would be had they won. I give myself an A+.

Im stunned that it happenned so quickly. I think this can put to rest the thought that the Jets saw this as a learning year when it began. That 9 wins is progress. The Jets brought in Favre to win and they lost. They easily could have been 7 win team if not for a few breaks along the way.

If we crushed Miami yesterday 34-7 yesterday there is a much better chance Eric returned next year. You and many others were saying he is returning next year irregardless of whether we win or lose.

I had a vision. An epiphany. I did the right thing in rooting for Miami yesterday and the Jets are better off today having lost than they would be had they won. I give myself an A+.

I didn't say he'd be back, I said he could be back.. Big difference..

Anyway, I hope Woody has reached out to Cowher, seems like he had to of, no?

Woody is serious about winning a championship. That's refreshing. It was the only logical decision. Mangini was in the last year of his contract in 2009. Why would Woody give him a 1 year extension so if Mangini messes up in 2009, Woody will still have to fire him and pay him an extra year. Now, he let Mangini only ruin 2008 rather than 2009 as well.

It was an interesting press conference. Woody took charge, but neither him nor Mike T wanted to bad-mouth Mangini.

Right after, I heard Benigno make fun of Woody throwing accolades Mangini's way. It took Evan Roberts to point out that the man just got fired and they didn't want to pull an Al Bavis. Benigno then says, "Oh yeah, it is better to take the high road." He's such an idiot.

Over the years, I have listened to this hack and always come away asking the same question: How in God's name did Benigno ever get a radio job? He has no intellect or skills, and a guy like Sperm would run circles around him when analyzing a game. He's just stunningly inept and annoying to the point of generating anger in the listener.

If we crushed Miami yesterday 34-7 yesterday there is a much better chance Eric returned next year. You and many others were saying he is returning next year irregardless of whether we win or lose.

You're the best VP I could ever have had.

Damn, my organization only lasted 2 years. At least it ended on a high note!

Over the years, I have listened to this hack and always come away asking the same question: How in God's name did Benigno ever get a radio job? He has no intellect or skills, and a guy like Sperm would run circles around him when analyzing a game. He's just stunningly inept and annoying to the point of generating anger in the listener.

Joe Benigno should join Eric Mangini in the unemployment line for his latest JETS fiasco.

I think he burned alot of bridges with the blowup with Belichick. He won't be welcome back there at all. Im not sure he is very respected around the league either. Right now his best hope is that Parcells remains in Miami and will find a job for him as some kind of defensive assistant for the Dolphins. I do think in the future he will get another chance to coach. He did have two winning years and some beat up franchise like the Raiders will always give a guy like that a look at some point in time. I dont think he has the demeanor for college, but he will get a chance somewhere.

I didn't say he'd be back, I said he could be back.. Big difference..

Anyway, I hope Woody has reached out to Cowher, seems like he had to of, no?

I'm sure he'll be one of the first contacted (if not already). Ryan from Baltimore is someone else who will be contacted but we can't talk to him until the Ravens are out of the playoffs. Same with Spagnola in NY (we can technically this week but doubt he will want to interview this week rather than prepare for the two potential teams he may play in round 2).

I personally doubt Woody goes with another inexperienced head coach though. Does that mean he won't hire a first year head coach? No. But I doubt it would be a young coordinator with only a handful of years experience in the league. If he is going to hire a 1st year head coach again, it will probably be someone like Ryan who has 20+ years experience in the league even though he is an inexperienced head coach.

Joe Benigno should join Eric Mangini in the unemployment line for his latest JETS fiasco.

I'll sign the release papers today. Once you join a great fan site like JetNation, it's almost impossible to listen to sports radio anymore. First, the personalities are annoying, and second: the information is old--and has been posted eons ago on message boards--by the time they report it.

The Jets are interviewing 3 candiates in the following order, IMO:

(1) The required Rooney Rule candidate

(2) Random candidate who has no shot at the job, but they don't want to look like No. 1 was a farce

(3) Cowher, whom they'll beg and bribe to take the job

I think the speed with which this happenned tells me he's gotten positive feedback from Cowher..

I predict Cowher is our next coach..

Cowher was gushing over our defensive talent weeks ago when we were 8-3. Gushing over Jenkins. He knows he needs a mamoth NT for a 3-4 to work. Going from Casey Hampton in Pitt to Jenkins here in NY he wouldn't miss a beat.

Then yesterday, he also picked us to beat Miami on the pregame show. Again showing that he feels we have talent. So if we lost (like we did), he obviously thinks coaching was the difference. I'm sure he thinks he can come in here and win with this collective group of talent.

I'm on board. Bring in Cowher!!! :headbang:

I think the speed with which this happenned tells me he's gotten positive feedback from Cowher..

I predict Cowher is our next coach..

I thought the same exact thing.

After Woody's interview last night with reporters, the Jets FO must have had contact with Cowher or his agent last night.

Cowher to the Jets makes perfect sense.

FYI, Eric Boland of Newsday reported that Sutton and Mini-Schott were also fired.

FYI, Eric Boland of Newsday reported that Sutton and Mini-Schott were also fired.

That was all but guaranteed. No new coach after reviewing tapes of the past few seasons would have EVER kept those two clowns on.

They both should have been fired last season.

Cowher was gushing over our defensive talent weeks ago when we were 8-3. Gushing over Jenkins. He knows he needs a mamoth NT for a 3-4 to work. Going from Casey Hampton in Pitt to Jenkins here in NY he wouldn't miss a beat.

Then yesterday, he also picked us to beat Miami on the pregame show. Again showing that he feels we have talent. So if we lost (like we did), he obviously thinks coaching was the difference. I'm sure he thinks he can come in here and win with this collective group of talent.

JMJ, good catch. I was at the game so I missed the pregame show.

I thought I was the only one getting the vibe for the last couple of weeks from how Cowher was talking about the Jets during the studio show.

Yup, seen the same. He's even criticized Mangini with a bewildered look a few times, like WTF are you doing playing so passively.

People say he won't want NY, but isn't the NFL program he does taped in NY? Maybe he flies in every weekend, or maybe he's in the area?

I thought the same exact thing.

After Woody's interview last night with reporters, the Jets FO must have had contact with Cowher or his agent last night.

Cowher to the Jets makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the news!

Archived