What Do We Do With The 17th Pick?

New York Mick

How about Terrance Cody from Alabama? Hes a 370 pound DT.

No, the only thing special about him is his size. He's not gonna be able to just fat rush everyone in the NFL. He'd be a force if you could get him to play up to his size and strength and use proper leverage, but there are better NT prospects that aren't as big projects and we should have a shot at them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_news_detail.php?PRKey=6506

NASHVILLE, TN, Dec. 29, 2008 – The Tennessee Titans will currently pick 32 nd in the 2009 National Football League Draft on April 25-26. The order of the 2009 Draft was announced today by the NFL.

The Detroit Lions will make the first choice, followed by the St. Louis Rams picking second and the Kansas City Chiefs third.

Draft-order ties are resolved by the cumulative record of each team’s opponents. The team with the weaker opponents receives drafting priority.

Within a tied segment, non-playoff clubs are given priority over playoff clubs. Priority of playoff clubs within a tied segment will be based on their advancement in the playoffs, but they will not drop out of their tied segment unless they participate in the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl champion will select 32nd and the runner-up 31st.

Clubs involved in two-club ties will alternate positions from round-to-round. In ties that involve three or more clubs, the club at the top of a tied segment in a given round will move to the bottom of the segment for the next round, while all other clubs in the segment move up one position. This rotation continues throughout the draft.

2009 NFL DRAFT ORDER

1. Det

2. St Louis

3. KC

4. Seattle

5. Cleveland

6. Cincy

7. Oakland

8. Jacksonville

9. GB

10. SF

11. Buffalo

12. Denver

13. Wash.

14. NO

15. Houston

16. SD

17. Jets

18. Chicago

19. TB

20. Det (from Dallas)

21. Ariz*

22. Philly*

23. Minny*

24. NE

25. Atl*

26. Miami*

27. Balt.

28. Philly (from Carolina*)

29. Indy*

30. Giants*

31. Pitt*

32. Tenn.*

Jets could move up one spot if SD makes super bowl.

No, the only thing special about him is his size. He's not gonna be able to just fat rush everyone in the NFL. He'd be a force if you could get him to play up to his size and strength and use proper leverage, but there are better NT prospects that aren't as big projects and we should have a shot at them.

he is a stud and he is staying at capstone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh by the way, if Cowher is the head coach, WR will not be a pick in the first round. Bill likes tough attacking defense (which would be great for Gholston) and Cowher likes to run the ball.

Pittsburgh drafted a few WR's in the first round under Cowher. I know that two are Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes.

Yeah if it's Cowher expect a 3-4 DE or a RB, Jackson, Graham or possibly Moreno. Cowher likes to have a lot of fresh legs and Moreno is a Jersey boy. I think if we hire a Rex Ryan he'll probably try and get a linebacker since the Baltimore D is built from the linebackers out, but he also might go for a talented saftey to shore up that spot or a DE. Spagnulo will def go linebacker since we'd need a new MLB for the switch back to the 4-3 he might also go WR because je knows how important a tall receiver is. A O focused coach would stick to that side of the ball I'd expect a WR or QB or RB the only D player they'd go for would be CB.

I think the Jets have to look at ILB in the first round or at least the second depending on Barton's contract status. Isnt he going to be a FA? If he is that leaves the Jets with only Harris and unfortunately it looks like he is going to have a hard time staying healthy.

With no Barton (assuming he's a FA who leaves) that leaves the Jets with Harris, Kassell, Spencer, and Trusnik in the middle. Only one of those guys is really starting material and without Mangini around to wet nurse mutts like Kassell and Spencer they probably wont be looked on as serious starters anyway.

The good thing about staying in the 3-4 is that the kind of LB that is suited for ILB is usually still around in round 2.

We have Clowney, Stuckey and Cothery and keller. I do not think reciever is a first round need. However I would like to get a legitimate pass rusher for the D-line or as an LB

Keller is not a WR. For three years we have needed a big WR who can get open downfield. We cannot go through another season with a bunch of Whos or Hasbeens.

Trade up for a future QB like we should have done for Flacco /Ryan this last Draft....

Jests are really cursed

BT over Ed reed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken O brien over marino!!!!!!!!!!

Blair Thomas over Emmit Smith!!!!!

If jets scouts really liked matty ice, they had ammo to trade up!!!!

I'd love a big time WR, but I also dont want to pick a WR just to pick one- which a lot of teams seem to do.

Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas etc, Desean Jackson. Those guys arent worth first round picks.

I really like DeSean Jackosn, always did. I think he'll develop into a VERY good WR. He also has great value in returns and trick plays.

I think we need a corner opposite Revis behind him are secondary was a joke. Part of it was the pass rush but I don't know if our pass rush was as bad as it looked or our coach's where just idiots cause we where at the top of the NFL in sacks through the first half of the season when the defense was attacking then we did nothing the second half and against horrible O lines like Seattle.

I think we need a corner opposite Revis behind him are secondary was a joke. Part of it was the pass rush but I don't know if our pass rush was as bad as it looked or our coach's where just idiots cause we where at the top of the NFL in sacks through the first half of the season when the defense was attacking then we did nothing the second half and against horrible O lines like Seattle.

Would we dare go after Nnamdi in free agency?

That would be a ridiculous CB tandem.

Part of the reason for the crappy pass rush was Mangini being scared sh*tless about our crappy secondary so he sent 7-8 guys into coverage so often. Not saying it was the right move; just that I understand it.

Nnamdi is a pipe dream. There are about 31 other teams that would want him, and most have more cap room than we do.

I don't think we need to burn the $12M/yr he'll probably command on another elite corner so much as to have someone merely adequate opposite Revis, plus some depth that isn't total dogsh*t.

Best available WR, DE, or CB.

WR:

1. Crabtree, Tex Tech (no shot)

2. Heyward-Bey, Maryland

3. Maclin, Mizzou

4. Harvin, Florida

DE:

1. Orakpo, Texas (no shot)

2. Johnson, Ga. Tech

3. Jackson, LSU

CB:

1a. Jenkins, OSU (no shot)

1b. Davis, Illinois

Probably going to be one of the 6 guys there that will still be available.

This is something the NFL should change. Why should a playoff team draft higher than a non-playoff team? That doesn't make any sense.

The logic is to have the worst teams pick first. A team that won 8 games is supposedly worse than one that won 9 games. Whether or not the one with fewer wins goes to the playoffs is a function of the division they play in, not how good the team is.

Then again, San Diego beat the snot out of us pretty badly.

Some think that sucks for us. It cost us one draft slot in the middle of the round. You guys pick behind FOUR playoff teams, and that's just in round 1. In round 2, they'll pick 27th behind ALL the other 11-5 teams, 10-6 teams, 9-7 teams, and the 8-8 team that made the playoffs.

The logic is to have the worst teams pick first. A team that won 8 games is supposedly worse than one that won 9 games. Whether or not the one with fewer wins goes to the playoffs is a function of the division they play in, not how good the team is.

Then again, San Diego beat the snot out of us pretty badly.

Some think that sucks for us. It cost us one draft slot in the middle of the round. You guys pick behind FOUR playoff teams, and that's just in round 1. In round 2, they'll pick 27th behind ALL the other 11-5 teams, 10-6 teams, 9-7 teams, and the 8-8 team that made the playoffs.

The Division winners make the playoffs and I have no problem with that. That's why the NFL has Divisions.

San Diego beat the snot out of the Pats as well.

But rewarding those teams with a higher draft pick than non-playoff teams is ridiculous.

Thats what got me when I was working in out it wouldn't make sense for a non playoff team to pick behind a playoff team unless they make the superbowl. I was thinking hockey which does it the right way with non playoff teams always picking ahead of every playoff team regardless of record, however looking at recent history of the NFL playoffs 8-8 teams rarely make the playoffs or even win the division, so this doesn't happen often. Had the chargers got one more win we'd be picking 16th instead of 17th which may hurt us because 90% of the mocks I've seen have the chargers going hard after Maualuga if he makes it past the saints so it looks less likely we'd be getting him.

Dont know about 1st round, but IF he stays in 2nd round, I want Coles replacement,,Hakeem Nicks WR from North Carolina

I have Nicks going to you guys in the first round which pains me quite a bit. He's an outstanding possession receiver and will fly up the draft boards in the next four months. The most impressive thing is that his game really elevated when Brandon Tate went down. He's a team captain, terrific leader, and will even block to help his team win (imagine that with receivers now-a-days.)

The Division winners make the playoffs and I have no problem with that. That's why the NFL has Divisions.

San Diego beat the snot out of the Pats as well.

But rewarding those teams with a higher draft pick than non-playoff teams is ridiculous.

I am in favor of this rule because it is bad for the Patriots this year.

Part of the reason for the crappy pass rush was Mangini being scared sh*tless about our crappy secondary so he sent 7-8 guys into coverage so often. Not saying it was the right move; just that I understand it.

Nnamdi is a pipe dream. There are about 31 other teams that would want him, and most have more cap room than we do.

I don't think we need to burn the $12M/yr he'll probably command on another elite corner so much as to have someone merely adequate opposite Revis, plus some depth that isn't total dogsh*t.

How many times can we cut and re-sign Hank Poteat/

I have Nicks going to you guys in the first round which pains me quite a bit. He's an outstanding possession receiver and will fly up the draft boards in the next four months. The most impressive thing is that his game really elevated when Brandon Tate went down. He's a team captain, terrific leader, and will even block to help his team win (imagine that with receivers now-a-days.)

I personally hoping we don't look for a possession WR. We have plenty of those already. I want a guy with speed who will stretch the field as a deep threat.

I'm thinking maybe Maclin out of Mizzou or Haeyward-Bey out of Maryland. I'd like us to take a long look at both of those guys. I've seen a good bit of them through the season and they look like true playmakers.

Archived