Broncos TE and cap situation

R44

Make no mistake, the Broncos should be players in the free agent sweepstakes. After restructuring the contracts of quarterback Jake Plummer, safety John Lynch, running back Mike Anderson, offensive linemen Matt Lepsis and Tom Nalen, and tight end Dwayne Carswell, the Broncos have maneuver room under the cap. They

It bugs me that they only offered him 12.5 mil for 5 years. If they really wanted to get him, they could have upped it a bit in order to screw the Broncos.

btw, I've been thinking about Trevor Pryce. If that back is healthy, he could be a terror replacing Fergy, no? I know he played DE for awhile out there, but isn't he a DT by trade?

It bugs me that they only offered him 12.5 mil for 5 years. If they really wanted to get him, they could have upped it a bit in order to screw the Broncos.

An average of $2.5m per year is a fairly large number for a TE isn't it? Especially one who's not a big name.

Having said that I really won't be surprised if the Broncos match this offer. It will be interesting to see if there is a poison pill in this deal, if it's not the $12.5m.

Welcome Rob. You are correct, that's a good sized salary for a TE in the NFL.

It will be interesting to see how the contract is constructed. Like is it backloaded or not?

A back loaded contract, for example, may have him making $1.5 million each of the first 4 season, and a $6 million balloon payment in the 5th.

Of course, because NFL contracts are never guarenteed, the Jets would owe the amount of his pro-rated signing bonus (whatever that may be) in the event that he's cut before the contract ends. So if it's a $5 million dollor bonus, he's definitely owed $1 million per season, regardless if he plays or not.

#####

T.S, Pryce is definitely on the trading block and definitely a player the Jets should consider. May have a huge contract, however, and is coming off major surgery.

The poison pill could also be something like a voidable final year.

It looks like his signing bonus is $2.5m, so his cap charge in the first year will only be around $1m if the deal is backloaded.

Jets | Putzier Signs Offer Sheet - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:48:45 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the New York Jets have signed restricted free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos) to a five-year offer worth $12.5 million including a signing bonus of $2.5 million. Denver will have seven days to either match the offer sheet or receive a sixth-round draft choice as compensation.

Thank you for the info Rob.

Wow, that's not a very hard contract for Denver to match--only $2.5 million bonus, for an up and coming player :shock:

Wow, one would think the Jets would've gone a bit higher to get him...

I'd be absolutely shocked if the Broncos didn't match this deal.

Same here, unfortunately. I don't think we should be getting our hopes up about this guy over the next 7 days. It seems to me that Denver 'only' tendered him at the 6th round level because they fully expected him to come back with an offer sheet they could easily match.

Thank you for the info Rob.

Wow, that's not a very hard contract for Denver to match--only $2.5 million bonus, for an up and coming player :shock:

Wow, one would think the Jets would've gone a bit higher to get him...

Sorry fellas, I should have mentioned that in my initial post. It just seems like this is a publicity stunt by the Jets. When Denver easily matches it, they can say "ah well, we tried!" What sucks is that Dinger's offense would make this kid an absolute star if he develops, a la Frank Wycheck and Erron Kinney. Hey, isn't Kinney a FA?

TS, someone had to step as the "useful idiot" in the NFL and hand Putzier a easily matchable contract and Bradway did the honors.

Not to be criticial, but as I pointed out, the Broncos have no TE's and few options. Even Ituli Mili is like a backup type at this point. Considering BYU players come into the NFL at 25 or 26, Mili has to be well into his 30's.

Seahawks intend to promote a "Putzier type" named Ryan Hannam....or if draft bust Jeramy Stevans steps up, he starts...big "if" with J.S.

Point?

Broncos have to have this player, who they love, and the Jets offer a $2.5 million bonus :shock:

I think your right TS, this either a 'stab in the dark", or a PR move.

Again, I first quoted this a few weeks ago at JI, when all the 15 year olds were saying Putzier was worse than Becth.

Denver Post - Bill Williamson

Tuesday, February 01

Tim Brewster knows Pro Bowl tight ends. He thinks he could easily coach another. Brewster's primary task as the Broncos' tight ends coach will be to help Jeb Putzier make it to the next level. In his first year as the team's primary tight end, Putzier showed promise as Shannon Sharpe's main replacement. "He's just scratching the surface," said Brewster, whose deal was finalized Monday. "Jeb has all the makings of becoming an outstanding tight end in the NFL."

Brewster has been credited with the development of San Diego Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates, who didn't play college football.

The Broncos will certainly match this offer. After this season, it will look like a bargain.

The Jets biggest needs were at WR, CB, and TE entering offseason. They've now managed to create additional needs at DT and OT. They will not fill five spots in the draft. They have to get something done.

An update on the contract numbers from kffl.com

Broncos | Mulling Putzier Offer Sheet - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:04:07 -0800

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Denver Broncos are evaluating the offer sheet signed by restricted free agent TE Jeb Putzier with the New York Jets. The offer sheet from the Jets is a five-year, $12.5 million deal that includes $2.5 million in guaranteed money - a $1 million signing bonus to be paid this season and a $1.5 million roster bonus in 2006. However, the offer sheet is fairly cap friendly in the first two years - the cap charge for next season is $1.5 million.

It looks like a heavily backloaded contract. At least a $1m bonus means that cutting him after a couple of years would be no problem.

Something which may make the Broncos less likely to match is this news:

Jamison Hensley and Mike Preston, of the Baltimore Sun, report with the departure of former CB Gary Baxter to the Cleveland Browns in free agency, the Baltimore Ravens are expected to turn their attention to restricted free agent CB Kelly Herndon (Broncos). The team will likely make an offer sheet to Herndon, in which the Denver Broncos will have one week to match or receive no compensation since Herndon went undrafted.

With their limited cap space, the Broncos may have to decide between them.

Rob, I think they'd take Putzier over Herndon. Just a guess.

Herndon's a decent talent, but lacks Puzier's upside.

We actually praised Herndon in our draft site (scroll down to bottom). Athough if we "updated" that page, Randall Gay would replce him on the all "undrafted list"--note undrafted CB's are hard to find.

http://draftdaddy.com/prospects/allactiveUDFA.cfm

faba, Broncos have no TE's, so even if Putzier signs, they may need a new backup type--Mili and Alexander are either past their primes, or very close to it--DD.com notes below.

TE Itulu Mili-- Former starter, could drop to 3rd string if he returns to Seattle. Had excellent playoff game for Seahawks. At 32, he may leave the Seahawks, if his price gets too high (R44)

TE Stephen Alexander-- Despite having a bad 2004, the Lions want him back, and he wants to come back. Last season was uncharacteristic of Stephen. He was hampered by an ankle injury, which caused him not to play as well as he could have. He could very well be the safty valve that Joey Harrington desperately needs (Shadow19)

Rob, I think they'd take Putzier over Herndon. Just a guess.

Herndon's a decent talent, but lacks Puzier's upside.

We actually praised Herndon in our draft site (scroll down to bottom). Athough if we "updated" that page, Randall Gay would replce him on the all "undrafted list"--note undrafted CB's are hard to find.

http://draftdaddy.com/prospects/allactiveUDFA.cfm

faba, Broncos have no TE's, so even if Putzier signs, they may need a new backup type--Mili and Alexander are either past their primes, or very close to it--DD.com notes below.

Thanks for the info- R44

I am just hoping that their needs on defense will forgo them from matching- also saw that they are interested in Okeafor to fill hole at defensive end.

btw, I've been thinking about Trevor Pryce. If that back is healthy, he could be a terror replacing Fergy, no? I know he played DE for awhile out there, but isn't he a DT by trade?

And if they don't match it will be a steal. Good roll of the dice im book on TB's part.

The Stephen Alexander rumors are not relevant to the Jets chances of landing Putzier. Denver is moving Carswell to OT, so they need the TE depth even if Putzier stays put.

Denver was resigned to losing Herndon this off season. They are much happier with Lenny Walls, who at 6'4 is a real asset at CB. Herndon started early in the year with Walls injured, but Herndon was moved inside late in the year to the slot receiver while Willie Middlebrooks handled the #2 and Champ Bailey shadowed the #1.

The Stephen Alexander rumors are not relevant to the Jets chances of landing Putzier. Denver is moving Carswell to OT, so they need the TE depth even if Putzier stays put.

Denver was resigned to losing Herndon this off season. They are much happier with Lenny Walls, who at 6'4 is a real asset at CB. Herndon started early in the year with Walls injured, but Herndon was moved inside late in the year to the slot receiver while Willie Middlebrooks handled the #2 and Champ Bailey shadowed the #1.

So you'd definitely guess that they'd match, Nick?

Putzier's offer sheet part of "weird time"

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Post file

Putzier: "It's a weird time."

Just in case, Jeb Putzier is reflective these days.

"I keep thinking about the guys who helped me in Denver because I really don't know if I'll be back," Putzier said a day after signing a five-year offer sheet with the New York Jets. "There's been guys like Shannon (Sharpe), Jake (Plummer), Coach (Mike) Shanahan, (John) Lynch, who were all really helpful for me ...

"It's a weird time. I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to be playing football this year."

For the next five days, that decision is up to the Broncos, who also may have to deal with an offer sheet to unrestricted free- agent cornerback Kelly Herndon. He is going to visit Atlanta on Tuesday and is also being pursued by Baltimore.

Advertisement

In the first move of restricted free agency this year - restricted free-agent movement is rare - Putzier signed a $12.5 million offer sheet that included a $2.5 million bonus with the Jets on Friday. Denver has until 2 p.m. this Friday to match the offer. If the Broncos do not match, Putzier will go to the Jets and Denver will get a sixth-round choice in next month's draft.

The Jets are so interested in acquiring Putzier, they may be willing to trade for him even if Denver matches. New York would likely offer a midround pick for Putzier in that scenario. Denver currently doesn't have a third-, fourth- or fifth-round pick, so it could be open to that possibility.

Denver low-tendered Putzier at $656,000 two weeks ago. Cornerback Lenny Walls was the only Denver player to get the first-round tender of $1.43 million for this season.

There's a strong chance Denver will match the offer. The deal the Jets negotiated is cap friendly and could easily work into Denver's cap. Denver has long coveted Putzier's ability to stretch the field and tried to extend his contract last August. Thus, this deal could expedite what the team wants to do in the future, anyway.

If they do not match Putzier's offer sheet, the Broncos will have to seek another tight end. They had Stephen Alexander of Detroit in Thursday and Friday before Putzier signed his offer sheet with the Jets. The team also has talked to Seattle's Itula Mili. Other tight ends of interest are Minnesota's Jermaine Wiggins, Indianapolis' Marcus Pollard and the Jets' Anthony Becht.

"We'll see what happens," Putzier said. "Either way, whatever happens, I know I'll be in a good situation."

Tampa Bay and Buffalo also have shown interest in Putzier.

"I felt Jeb's value was better than a low tender offer and we wanted to see what the market beared," his agent Joe Linta said. "We're happy with this and we're interested to see how the Broncos respond. He does like playing there."

While the Broncos don't have a lot of salary cap room, they were $1.7 million under the cap as of Friday.

Putzier developed into a good open-field threat last season, his first as a full-time player. He had 36 catches for 582 yards.

Herndon is to meet with the Falcons on Tuesday, which includes a meeting with owner Arthur Blanks. The Broncos will likely not match an offer sheet if Herndon gets a significant offer. The team chose to give Walls the first-round tender instead of Herndon, who would be the nickel cornerback in Denver if he returns. Like Walls, Herndon was an undrafted rookie, so Denver will not get any compensation for Herndon if he leaves.

Garcia decision soon

The Broncos still are interested in signing veteran Jeff Garcia as their backup quarterback to Plummer. Garcia continues to get interest from Detroit and Tampa Bay.

There are indications Denver may be pushing to get him. If Garcia signs, it could come early this week. He was cut by Cleveland last month.

Footnotes

Seattle defensive end Chike Okeafor visited Arizona on Saturday after leaving Denver on Friday. Okeafor received a contract offer from the Broncos and is expected to choose the Broncos, Cardinals or Seahawks soon. If Okeafor signs elsewhere, Denver could turn to St. Louis defensive end Bryce Fisher, a former Air Force star. Fisher is visiting Seattle this week. ...

St. Louis guard Matt Lehr will visit Denver on

From today's Denver Post on the Broncos situation and plans

Good info faba...Here's some points:

**Herndon has basically been told by the Broncos he's a backup and not a priority---Jet fans who believe Herndon will force the Broncos to let Jeb leave are way off base--he's a 28 or 29 undrafted type that is merely a reserve/special teamer (played with Las Vegas XFL) who started in 2004 due to injuries....Jeb could be a rising star.

**I think the Broncos have to match. And, as noted before, Denver is the "local team" of the entire "Mountian West"....Sounds like Putzier doesn't want to leave.

**His agent, I believe, has a good relationship with the Jets....Linta is a former Yale football player, who quit a high paying job to be a "small time agent" for Yale players (Chris Hetherington, ect.).......He's slowly built himself up (mostly with small time O-Lineman) and Putzier was a nice find for him...

The agent being from CT, might've helped the Jets get the offer sheet over Buffalo and Tampa.

**Okefor will leave Seattle likely...He seems outwardly jealous of the money and attention Grant Wistrom gets.

Edit--typos:

Denver has a lot of things to consider in the makeup of their team- not unlike our situation.

Their defensive line has been depleted and if they go after Okeafor and really want Garcia there is only so much money to use.

Just putting some local info out there from Denver and personally hoping that they pick their other needs instead of matching.

Herndon in demand

Cornerback to visit Atlanta, Baltimore; Putzier still on hold

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

March 7, 2005

Only one NFL restricted free agent switched teams last season. The Denver Broncos could lose two in the next 10 days.

Tight end Jeb Putzier will know by Friday if he is staying after signing a five-year, $12.5 million offer sheet with the New York Jets.

But he is not the only player in demand.

Cornerback Kelly Herndon has a planned visit with the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday. He likely will head to Baltimore after that trip - if he is around that long.

Herndon's agent has begun negotiations with the Ravens. Peter Schaffer said Sunday he expected to send a counterproposal to the AFC North team today, but no offer sheet has been signed.

"I'm very happy with where we sit," Schaffer said.

Three other teams, believed to be the Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks, also have expressed some interest in Herndon.

He has become somewhat of a hot commodity after starting 27 games the past two seasons and can be signed without draft-pick compensation because the Broncos tendered him at the lowest level, $656,000.

And Herndon's asking price figures to fall well below some of the other cornerback deals already signed, making him even more attractive.

Denver can match any offer, but if Herndon gets a significant contract proposal, he likely is gone.

"Pretty much, it's looking like that," Herndon said, though not totally dismissing a return to the Broncos. "There's a pretty strong percentage I won't be back in Denver."

The Ravens are seeking a replacement for starting cornerback Gary Baxter, who unexpectedly bolted for the Cleveland Browns after a late contract snag with Baltimore. He signed a a six-year, $30 million deal that included a $10.5 million signing bonus.

Atlanta is set with last year's first-round pick DeAngelo Hall on one side. But Jason Webster at right cornerback has been hampered because of injuries and Herndon likely would get a crack to unseat him if the Falcons acquire him.

"I want to have a real good shot at being out on that field all of the time. That's the bottom line," Herndon said of his criteria for a new team. "I want to be a starter. I love being out there on the field making plays and helping a team win. And I feel I'm getting better every year and I want to make sure I can continue to show that I can play in this league."

Herndon added Atlanta or Baltimore would be attractive options, even if they are not necessarily the only ones.

"Atlanta had a good chance to go to the Super Bowl last year and they're a talented team," he said. "You watch how they play defense and you love that as a player. They get after the quarterback and cause turnovers and that's the kind of defense you want to be in. And everybody knows about the Baltimore defense. They're always tops in the league. I have a lot of respect for how they play football over there."

Putzier became the first restricted free agent to receive an offer, but the contract is structured so Denver could match. The Broncos would receive a sixth-round pick as compensation if they do not.

The situation clearly weighed on the tight end as he spent the weekend in Florida, attending the wedding of Broncos quarterback Danny Kanell.

Other teammates in attendance made their feelings known.

"They want me to stay in Denver," Putzier said. "But it's not really up to them."

Added Putzier's agent, Joe Linta: "All I know is that it's a fair deal. It puts Jeb in the top five in the league among tight ends. And we negotiated based on him going to the Jets. He had other opportunities, but with the Jets is where he wants to play."

The Broncos have brought in tight end Stephen Alexander (Detroit) for a visit. They also have expressed some interest in Shad Meier (Tennessee) and at least inquired about Freddie Jones (Arizona) and Itula Mili (Seattle). Two other tight ends, Patrick Hape and Mike Leach, are unrestricted free agents.

Putzier, a fourth-year pro, caught 36 passes for 572 yards and two touchdowns last season.

"Either way, I'm in a good situation," Putzier said. "I'm happy either way with both organizations. I'm in a good spot with good teams and good coaches and good people around me. So I can't really lose."

Denver's unrestricted free agents also are keeping busy.

Strong safety Kenoy Kennedy had dinner with Detroit Lions officials Sunday and will visit their training complex today. He is scheduled to go to Miami, then Atlanta after the trip, his agent, Vann McElroy said.

Guard Cooper Carlisle will meet with the Falcons today. It is his first trip. Carlisle started the final five games for an injured Dan Neil. He still could return to the Broncos, where he has spent his first five NFL seasons. But Denver is bringing in free-agent Matt Lehr (St. Louis) today and might also be interested in Roberto Garza of Atlanta.

Broncos linebacker Donnie Spragan will meet with Miami Dolphins officials today.

Staff writer Jeff Legwold

Latest from Denver papers on Putzier. Denver has a lot of issues with their roster makeup so it really comes down to where they think they need to spend the money most. Putzier seems sincere to want to play here and it does not seem like he and his agent were just using the Jets

Thanks faba--facinating quote:

Putzier became the first restricted free agent to receive an offer, but the contract is structured so Denver could match. The Broncos would receive a sixth-round pick as compensation if they do not.

Not sure what the exact deal is with Pryce's contract, but if he "traded" the other team would pick up all the costs...

Again, I mentioned Denver trading Pryce, to open up space--not a cap release, for those wondering.

Not sure what the exact deal is with Pryce's contract, but if he "traded" the other team would pick up all the costs...

Again, I mentioned Denver trading Pryce, to open up space--not a cap release, for those wondering.

IMO, he could be the X-factor in Denver's off-season plans. The Jets-Putzier deal may force them to take a lesser deal for Pryce before Friday rolls around. It could get interesting.

I doubt Denver matches, but it is possible.

Denver is at a serious crossroads. They have little cap room, despite restructured deals by Lynch, Nalen, Plummer and Smith, have lost their best pass rusher two years in a row, in a division that now has Randy Moss and Joey Porter, and they have no 3rd or 4th round picks.

They also need TWO starting tight ends, and Rod Smith is on his last legs. Trevor Pryce has a bad back, and yet the Broncos are trying to move him, despite their lack of a pass rush. They just re signed Ian Gold and Kenoy Kennedy is about to bolt.

Jeb Putzier very well could be a Jet on Friday. To clear up cap room, Pryce must be dealt, but what about his cap hit?

Bradway made a good, cap conscious offer. If Denver wants him, maybe they deal him to us for a much needed 4th round pick. Maybe we give up our 3rd and 4th for Pryce and Putzier. I know, it seems unreal, but Bradway did a good thing here. He can't seem to win, regadless what move he makes, but I like the contract. It makes sense.

Miami, good points all. I was thinking the same thing as well--that we could conme out of this with both Pryce and Putzier if we play our cards right. If Terry shows that kind of foresight, I will be VERY impressed.

It's early, Tom, but Bradway has turned into a great poker player.

He might have taken a page out of Washington's playbook when they stripped us two years ago. He took notice of Denver's cap situation and might end up with not one, but two serious players that not only make us younger, but better.

Aagin, I'll wait. We're only two weeks into free agency. :D

To clear up cap room, Pryce must be dealt, but what about his cap hit?

I could be wrong about this Miami, but I believe there is no cap hit if he's actually traded---the other team automically assumes his contract if it's a straight deal.

To get a deal done, however, Denver might have to "eat a little" of the deal...

Basically, a trade would just wipe his contract off the books.

Will some team trade for him?

As TS says, if he's healthy he could be a monster.

I could be wrong about this Miami, but I believe there is no cap hit if he's actually traded---the other team automically assumes his contract if it's a straight deal.

To get a deal done, however, Denver might have to "eat a little" of the deal...

Basically, a trade would just wipe his contract off the books.

Will some team trade for him?

As TS says, if he's healthy he could be a monster.

I should have made myself clearer...

By trading Pryce, DENVER would suffer the cap hit, since any signing bonus would be immediately come due. How big was his bonus? He did sign a deal with them two years ago I think.

I guess my question is how much relief vs. how much penalty would Denver suffer?

Washington took a big hit tading Coles to us, so I'm curious as to how much of a hit the Broncos would take. maybe it's not much, and they could then sign Putz, but regardless, if they do want him, they have to now move quicker on this deal.

The Broncos figure to get healthier capwise if they deal defensive end Trevor Pryce, providing $5.63 million more in wiggle room. They have been telling agents that Pryce's departure already is figured into their financial future.

There it is Miami...

Yes, they should get a fairly high pick, as Bert started the Pro Bowl for Arizona--he didn't deserve to, but he did :twisted:

Archived