****THE OFFICIAL BIG EAST BBALL THREAD****

gangreenman

And yet again, Duke and UNC have home games in the first round.

In 2003, Syracuse was given a load of **** because their first round of games were in Albany.

Granted, Duke and UNC are usually a high seed, but it's crazy how often they score home games in the first round.

:confused:

doesnt the NCAA try and put the 1/2/3 seeds in closest geographic regional??? Is this new news???

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good luck Big East posters..

hope your teams go far!!!!!

I always have one sheet with a Petino team winning it all...

depending on injuries etc,,i like UNC and Louisville,,

with Villanova, Purdue and Duke as possible surprise teams that go to finals ,,

good luck Big East posters..

hope your teams go far!!!!!

I always have one sheet with a Petino team winning it all...

depending on injuries etc,,i like UNC and Louisville,,

with Villanova, Purdue and Duke as possible surprise teams that go to finals ,,

of course u like UNC ..hello

Duke has zero chance at making final 4 0.00000000

Most people not using their hearts are picking UNC. If lawson is healthy enough to be himself the heels are the best tam in the Country and the clear favorite.

i was just kidding SJ

I know he has a fan, he has picked them to win it the last 3 years..that

is ok..nothing wrong with being a homer

i am a duke fan, i know they are out by sweet sixteen

My final 4 pitt louisville OK and memphis

louisville to cut down nets

i was just kidding SJ

I know he has a fan, he has picked them to win it the last 3 years..that

is ok..nothing wrong with being a homer

louisville to cut down nets

They were one of the faves the last 3 years. 2 years ago most people picked UF, last year it was split among the 4 clear cut top teams so it's not like the Heels were an 8 seed and he was picking them. I'm guessing he didn't pick the Heels in '06.

So you have Villanova losing to Pitt, a team that it beat by 10 earlier this season? Want to reconsider that one?

They're going to play the game in Boston. I find it tremendously hard to believe that there will be more of a Pitt crowd than a Villanova crowd up there. Oh, and at the Boston Garden, unlike the other regional sites, 'Nova's shooting won't be affected by the depth-perception issues that have plagued us in the past.

So you have Villanova losing to Pitt, a team that it beat by 10 earlier this season? Want to reconsider that one?

They're going to play the game in Boston. I find it tremendously hard to believe that there will be more of a Pitt crowd than a Villanova crowd up there. Oh, and at the Boston Garden, unlike the other regional sites, 'Nova's shooting won't be affected by the depth-perception issues that have plagued us in the past.

Your earlier result means nothing. I think Pitt is the better team BUT i do have 'Nova making the Final Four as I have Pitt getting upset earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

While the Villanova recruiting class is only ranked #4 in the country by Rivals.com (and congrats to UNC on #1), that doesn't take into account the Transfer (Taylor King, former McD's All-American) or the redshirt (Mo Sutton).

Villanova comes back next year with the deepest backcourt in the Big East (maybe the NCAA), and a frontcourt that may perform as well as this year's.

I'm excited.

It looks like Flynn is going to hang on at 'Cuse...

What are your predictions for next year?

While the Villanova recruiting class is only ranked #4 in the country by Rivals.com (and congrats to UNC on #1), that doesn't take into account the Transfer (Taylor King, former McD's All-American) or the redshirt (Mo Sutton).

Villanova comes back next year with the deepest backcourt in the Big East (maybe the NCAA), and a frontcourt that may perform as well as this year's.

I'm excited.

It looks like Flynn is going to hang on at 'Cuse...

What are your predictions for next year?

Ooohhh it's gonna be a fun season next year. Go Syracuse!!

• 1 month later...

http://vuhoops.com/2009/05/07/2008-apr-numbers-released-by-ncaa/

Accolades for the Villanova Men’s Basketball Program continue to roll in as the sport was recognized by the NCAA with the “Public Recognition Award” for their success on the Academic Progress Rates.

Football, Men’s Lacrosse, Men’s Golf, Men’s Swimming, Women’s Basketball, and Women’s Softball also won the award for their APRs.

Villanova led the Big East Conference APR for Men’s Basketball with an astounding 985.

Here is how the Big East squads performed…

Notre Dame 982

Marquette 970

Rutgers 968

Louisville 965

Pitt 965

West Virginia 960

St. Johns 959

Georgetown 942

DePaul 940

Connecticut 939

Providence 939

Syracuse 932

Seton Hall 918

Cincinnati 902

USF 878

A “perfect” APR is 1000 and a 50% graduation rate 925. How is the APR calculated??? Well, get ready…

“The APR is calculated by allocating points for eligibility and retention — the two factors that research identifies as the best indicators of graduation. Each player on a given roster earns a maximum of two points per term, one for being academically eligible and one for staying with the institution. A team’s APR is the total points of a team’s roster at a given time divided by the total points possible. Since this results in a decimal number, the CAP decided to multiply it by 1,000 for ease of reference. Thus, a raw APR score of .925 translates into the 925 that will become the standard terminology.”

Historically comparing, the 4-year average is 933, with the 2007-08 number at 947. Interestingly… 8 schools in the Big East are above that, 8 are below.

No school in the conference is subject to penalties for their basketball performance.

If a school is below 925 for two years, they can possibly lose a scholarship. 3 years and they can be banned by the postseason.

Archived