****THE OFFICIAL BIG EAST BBALL THREAD****

gangreenman

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marquette isn't in the top 10 in one of the polls and is #10 in the other. GU and ND were dropped from the rankings two weeks ago. They were both top 10 teams about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Syracuse is 22/23 and was #8 3 weeks ago. Syracuse also hasn't done as poorly in conf as either of those teams. Syracuse is over .500 in the BE and has wins over Seton Hall (who beat GTown), Rutgers, USF, and Depaul. Neither ND or GTown have beaten teams they were supposed to beat. Syracuse only lossed one game to a non-ranked opponent at the time and that was @PC, with only 2 starters available.

Wow! SU beat Seton hall(who beat Georgetown), RU, USF and Depaul?

How was it that in 05-06, when Villanova (then #2) beat the #1 team in the country, that Duke moved up from 3 to #1 in the next poll, and Villanova stayed at #2?

Its a poll. **** happens. Villanova should have been #1 that week.

Duke is a different animal, they obviously have a strong bias in their favor but show me the proof of them moving up to 1 leaping over 'Nova who was 2 and had beaten #1.

Ummm... Marquette has beaten NOBODY, they're not in the ACC, and they're not top 5. 'Nova still sucks and has zero quality wins. And dont say its the strength of the BE... They're weak when the lower seed wins. Its the ACC thats strong when the bottom teams win the "up" games. Just ask Lunardi, he agrees with me, so I must be right.

Who has Marquette beaten? Villanova is playing well, they are proving to be for real but Marquette is also proving to be a fraud. Marquette's best win looks like it was over NC State(a 3 pt win against a bottom tier ACC team), Wisconsin stinks, they got beat up by a mediocre UT team, they lost to Dayton and haven't beaten any of the top teams in the BE,

Wow! SU beat Seton hall(who beat Georgetown), RU, USF and Depaul?

Duke is a different animal, they obviously have a strong bias in their favor but show me the proof of them moving up to 1 leaping over 'Nova who was 2 and had beaten #1.

Who has Marquette beaten? Villanova is playing well, they are proving to be for real but Marquette is also proving to be a fraud. Marquette's best win looks like it was over NC State(a 3 pt win against a bottom tier ACC team), Wisconsin stinks, they got beat up by a mediocre UT team, they lost to Dayton and haven't beaten any of the top teams in the BE,

I wasnt bragging about those SU wins, I was using them to prove my point that SU is doing better in conf than either GU or ND, and therefore still deserve to be in the rankings. They also have wins over ND and WVU..

How is Syracuse frauds? Because they've lost four of five to ranked teams with only 2 or 3 starters available?

SU is banged up and playing terrible basketball right now. If they are healthy and if they play like they did earlier in the season they are not frauds but right now they are.

SU is banged up and playing terrible basketball right now. If they are healthy and if they play like they did earlier in the season they are not frauds but right now they are.

Agreed. When I think of frauds though, I think of a healthy team that loses when ever they face equal, or better, competition. I don't think of a team with serious injury problems at two of its most important positions losing to teams equal or better than them, and only on the road (only home conf. loss this season was to Lville).

Wake Forest again loses to ****ing NC State. No, the ACC is not a ****ing meat grinder, there are no ****ing meat grinders. They just plain and simole flat out suck. Really, they do. Enough with the ****ing media lovefest that is that stupid conference

I assume that last sentence was about the Big East? The ACC top to bottom is the toughest conference and that is being proven every day.

when u say conf vs conf , thats where it gets difficult and makes the acc better IMHO..cause conf implies whole conf,,all teams in conf..cause top teams get ez wins , 1 or 2, against these creampuffs..

In acc, even bottom 3 or 4 teams , mary, nc state, geo tech, virg (ehh, vir maybe not ;)) has realistic chance of beating any team..but can we say that about bottom 4 teams of big east? st jon, sou fla, rutgers, depaul??? I think not. these teams provide 1 to 2 almost guaranteed victories to every BE team and therefore sweet looking records..

NOW, if you take those 4 slugs out of BE, and then I might say BE better than acc this year..

But when using words 'conference' you have to take into account the whole conference. You cant say 'we have more top 10, or top 25s, cause the questions wasnt 'who has best top tier , or 'best 6 teams etc' It was what conf is better..

But wtf do i know :confused:

we can all agree these are 2 damn great conferences :D

I assume that last sentence was about the Big East? The ACC top to bottom is the toughest conference and that is being proven every day.

So when a "good" ACC team loses to a cellar-dweller it is proof that the ACC is a tough conference. When the same happens in the Big East, then the conference is obviously overrated.

Makes sense. Please continue.

GGM: Sorry to see the 'Cuse losing streak extended. I was rooting for ya'll to pull that one out. Hopefully you can turn it around with a win over Georgetown.

You'd probably need a solid win over the Hoyas to stay in the top-25 though.

So when a "good" ACC team loses to a cellar-dweller it is proof that the ACC is a tough conference. When the same happens in the Big East, then the conference is obviously overrated.

Makes sense. Please continue.

NC State nearly beat when of your top teams, did USF come close to beating a top ACC team? SJU? SH? etc... Top to bottom it's not close.

Bull****. There is one good team in that conference and it is UNC, and even they're not unbelievable. Wake Forest, Duke, and Clemson are all ridiculously overrated. And NC State sucks, just like UVA, VT, BC, and Maryland. The ACC is a joke.

when u say conf vs conf , thats where it gets difficult and makes the acc better IMHO..cause conf implies whole conf,,all teams in conf..cause top teams get ez wins , 1 or 2, against these creampuffs..

In acc, even bottom 3 or 4 teams , mary, nc state, geo tech, virg (ehh, vir maybe not ;)) has realistic chance of beating any team..but can we say that about bottom 4 teams of big east? st jon, sou fla, rutgers, depaul??? I think not. these teams provide 1 to 2 almost guaranteed victories to every BE team and therefore sweet looking records..

NOW, if you take those 4 slugs out of BE, and then I might say BE better than acc this year..

But when using words 'conference' you have to take into account the whole conference. You cant say 'we have more top 10, or top 25s, cause the questions wasnt 'who has best top tier , or 'best 6 teams etc' It was what conf is better..

But wtf do i know :confused:

we can all agree these are 2 damn great conferences :D

All that proves is that the top of the BE is that much better then the top of the ACC. All you just did is prove that the ACC is a joke. Congratulations, glad we can agree.

Bull****. There is one good team in that conference and it is UNC, and even they're not unbelievable. Wake Forest, Duke, and Clemson are all ridiculously overrated. And NC State sucks, just like UVA, VT, BC, and Maryland. The ACC is a joke.

There is one GREAT team and alot of other GOOD teams.

-NC State sucks yet lost by just 3 to Marquette

-UVa sucks yet lost by just 3 to SU when SU was playing well

-BC sucks yet is 2-0 against the BE including Providence who some say may be a tourney team.

-Wake is ridiculously overrated despite 2 wins that are better than any 2 wins that any BE team has but a team like Marquette isn't overrated having beaten nobdy or Louisville having lost to bad teams or Pitt having beaten nobody.

-Duke is overrated despite thrashing Gu when GU was playing well(right after GU beat UConn), thrashing Xavier, thrashing Purdue on the road.

-Clemson is overrated despite winning at illinois(a win that is better than ANY non-conf win from BE teams).

Yep you got us, the conf is overrated while the BE is the greatest:rolleyes:

All that proves is that the top of the BE is that much better then the top of the ACC. All you just did is prove that the ACC is a joke. Congratulations, glad we can agree.

The only jokes are the BE fans that continue to overrated their conf- the same conf that has produced just 5 FF teams in 19 seasons.:Nuts:

If people don't see that Wake, Duke and Clemson are overrated, then they're kidding themselves.

After UNC the ACC is very middle-of-the-road.

If people don't see that Wake, Duke and Clemson are overrated, then they're kidding themselves.

After UNC the ACC is very middle-of-the-road.

The same can be said of Pitt, maqruette and Louisville though, right? At least Wake, duke and Clemson proved something in the non-conf unlike those 3 BE teams.

The same can be said of Pitt, maqruette and Louisville though, right? At least Wake, duke and Clemson proved something in the non-conf unlike those 3 BE teams.

Louisville normally struggles at the beginning of a season. Petino even admits at the beginning of the season in the non-con play, he is not as concerned with winning games as he is with teaching his kids and getting them ready for BE play and the tournament. Its why his teams always come on late in the season and always are a pretty consistent Sweet 16 type team in the NCAA's. He knows that if he can teach his guys lessons early and have them learn from their mistakes, they're going to have enough opportunities to beat good teams in BE play to get not only into the tourney, but a high seed in the tourney, no matter how they do in the con-con.

What exactly did Wake prove? Clemson? Duke beat Gtown in non-con...Who else?

Louisville normally struggles at the beginning of a season. Petino even admits at the beginning of the season in the non-con play, he is not as concerned with winning games as he is with teaching his kids and getting them ready for BE play and the tournament. Its why his teams always come on late in the season and always are a pretty consistent Sweet 16 type team in the NCAA's. He knows that if he can teach his guys lessons early and have them learn from their mistakes, they're going to have enough opportunities to beat good teams in BE play to get not only into the tourney, but a high seed in the tourney, no matter how they do in the con-con.

What exactly did Wake prove? Clemson? Duke beat Gtown in non-con...Who else?

Oh so Pitino isn't concerned w/ winning games early on- what about in the Tourney? It's not like he has 4 FFs this decade, they had the 1 run where they got hammered in the FF by Illinois.

Wake did end BYu's home court winning streak, Clemson won at Illinois, Duke beat Xavier and Purdue. All better wins in the non-conf than any by UL, Pitt, Marq or 'Nova.

Oh so Pitino isn't concerned w/ winning games early on- what about in the Tourney? It's not like he has 4 FFs this decade, they had the 1 run where they got hammered in the FF by Illinois.

Wake did end BYu's home court winning streak, Clemson won at Illinois, Duke beat Xavier and Purdue. All better wins in the non-conf than any by UL, Pitt, Marq or 'Nova.

Oh how I love that BYU, Illinois, and Xavier are quality wins for those ACC teams while Kansas, Florida, and Memphis aren't for SU. Like Xavier and BYU are up against tough competition in conference, yet somehow they're both ranked below Memphis. Wonder why, God damn those BE loving pollsters!!!

Priceless.

Oh how I love that BYU, Illinois, and Xavier are quality wins for those ACC teams while Kansas, Florida, and Memphis aren't for SU. Like Xavier and BYU are up against tough competition in conference, yet somehow they're both ranked below Memphis. Wonder why, God damn those BE loving pollsters!!!

Priceless.

I didn't say KU, memp and UF weren't good wions but you guys act like they beat KU and memp '08 and UF '07.

Xavier plays in a better conf than Memphis.

I didn't say KU, memp and UF weren't good wions but you guys act like they beat KU and memp '08 and UF '07.

Xavier plays in a better conf than Memphis.

Debatable. The A-10 is historically a better conference... But teams like GWU, and that team who made the cinderalla FF run a couple years back (forget the name, lol), are both having terrible seasons. I'd say C-USA and A10 are about even this year. If there is a difference, its a very small one.

And BYU??? What have they ever done aside from being a borderline top 25 team every other year or so that makes you think beating them is a quality win, while Nova beating Wisconsin isn't. LMAO dude.

Keep going back to that. Doesn't make your overrated conference any less overrated this season. Dip****.

OK, listen, you need to us ethat language ..soiunds like you ar erelaizing historical data prove nyjunc right..

but regardless of what side,,you are out of line,,and if u dont stop, u might not be here much longer

OK, listen, you need to us ethat language ..soiunds like you ar erelaizing historical data prove nyjunc right..

but regardless of what side,,you are out of line,,and if u dont stop, u might not be here much longer

eralazing? is that a word?

Since I am NOT out of line, and I DO respect the board, Im not going to even comment on the rest of that post.

Debatable. The A-10 is historically a better conference... But teams like GWU, and that team who made the cinderalla FF run a couple years back (forget the name, lol), are both having terrible seasons. I'd say C-USA and A10 are about even this year. If there is a difference, its a very small one.

And BYU??? What have they ever done aside from being a borderline top 25 team every other year or so that makes you think beating them is a quality win, while Nova beating Wisconsin isn't. LMAO dude.

Um... are you perhaps thinking of George Mason? That's CAA.

St. Joes was the last A-10 team to get deep into the Tourney, I think, and they didn't get to the FF.

The difference between the A-10 and C-USA this year is Memphis. CAA is horrible basketball though, maybe a step above the NEC and about equal to MAAC.

Um... are you perhaps thinking of George Mason? That's CAA.

St. Joes was the last A-10 team to get deep into the Tourney, I think, and they didn't get to the FF.

The difference between the A-10 and C-USA this year is Memphis. CAA is horrible basketball though, maybe a step above the NEC and about equal to MAAC.

Really? Coulda sworn they were A-10. I thought I remembered watching the finals between them and GW that year, guess it was just two different games or I have my years mixed up or both.

If ND can play like that down the stretch, you just never know what can happen. Not getting my hopes up, but they were dominant tonight.

CrazyCarl, don't you know, when a lower seed in the BE beats a top 10 team in the BE, it just means that the top 10 team sucks and is overrated, the lower seed is still terrible. Only in the ACC can a not ranked team beat a top 10 team and have it be an example of how tough the conference is. Jeez man, where've ya been?

Really? Coulda sworn they were A-10. I thought I remembered watching the finals between them and GW that year, guess it was just two different games or I have my years mixed up or both.

Not sure where you're getting it from, but Mason is definitely in the CAA, and GWU is definitely in the A-10.

A-10 is: St. Joes, Temple, LaSalle, St. Louis, Dayton, Xavier, GW, Fordham, UMass, URI, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne and UNC Charlotte.

The CAA is: Delaware, Drexel, George Mason, Georgia State, Hofstra, James Madison, Northeastern, ODU, Towson, UNC Wilmington, VCU, William & Mary and a bunch of Football-only members.

Honest mistake. Two different conferences that most people don't care about. A-10 is slightly more relevant for basketball.

Interestingly, btw, UConn, Pitt, Villanova, Rutgers and West Virginia were all in the A-10 from the mid-70s until the Big East was formed.

In 1979 the original Big East teams were: Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, Syracuse, Seton Hall, Connecticut, and Boston College. Villanova joined in 1980.

The conference was originally going to be focused on Basketball. Eventually they changed their minds and added Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers, and they tried to get Penn State to join as well.

Archived