****THE OFFICIAL BIG EAST BBALL THREAD****

gangreenman

CrazyCarl, don't you know, when a lower seed in the BE beats a top 10 team in the BE, it just means that the top 10 team sucks and is overrated, the lower seed is still terrible. Only in the ACC can a not ranked team beat a top 10 team and have it be an example of how tough the conference is. Jeez man, where've ya been?

You are so boring. I'm sure this proves how great the BE is but when Wake loses to a lower rung ACC team it means Wake sucks. The bottom line is the AC has been better this year, as of today we'd get more teams int he Tourney which is remarkable since we have FOUR less teams in the conf.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are so boring. I'm sure this proves how great the BE is but when Wake loses to a lower rung ACC team it means Wake sucks. The bottom line is the AC has been better this year, as of today we'd get more teams int he Tourney which is remarkable since we have FOUR less teams in the conf.

Wake has lost four times to not ranked teams in the past two or three weeks. The only good team they beat was a struggling Duke team, who has also lost three of its last four. IF Lville were to lose to Gtown, ND, Providence, and WVU, you'd have an argument here (similar to Wake losing to Miami, GTech, VTech, and NC State). Lville hasn't done that, and I doubt they will.

I think the ACC is very overrated this year still. UNC is the only great team in that conference. Duke is very beatable, as obviously is Wake, and Clemson. I'd wager that Wake wouldn't finish top 4 in the BE this season, and wouldn't even sniff the top 10 in the polls.

Interestingly, btw, UConn, Pitt, Villanova, Rutgers and West Virginia were all in the A-10 from the mid-70s until the Big East was formed.

In 1979 the original Big East teams were: Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, Syracuse, Seton Hall, Connecticut, and Boston College. Villanova joined in 1980.

The conference was originally going to be focused on Basketball. Eventually they changed their minds and added Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers, and they tried to get Penn State to join as well.

I don't know who "tried" to get Penn State. But at the time, they in no way wanted to join the same conference as Syracuse, who, at the time, was competing with PSU as the powerhouse football team on the East Coast.

Wake has lost four times to not ranked teams in the past two or three weeks. The only good team they beat was a struggling Duke team, who has also lost three of its last four. IF Lville were to lose to Gtown, ND, Providence, and WVU, you'd have an argument here (similar to Wake losing to Miami, GTech, VTech, and NC State). Lville hasn't done that, and I doubt they will.

I think the ACC is very overrated this year still. UNC is the only great team in that conference. Duke is very beatable, as obviously is Wake, and Clemson. I'd wager that Wake wouldn't finish top 4 in the BE this season, and wouldn't even sniff the top 10 in the polls.

But losing to teams like Western Kentucky and UNLV are ok?

UNC is the only great team- so what? The BE has MAYBE one great team and w/ the injury news UConn may not even be that.

Wake, Clem and duke are beatable but Marq, Pitt, Louisville are not?:rolleyes:

Wake would EASILY finish top 4 in the overrated BE.

Why is it the BE is always the best conf according to BE fans yet they never make FFs?

UNC is the only great team- so what? The BE has MAYBE one great team and w/ the injury news UConn may not even be that.

Why is it the BE is always the best conf according to BE fans yet they never make FFs?

:rl:

and using dips**t was out of line.

It was a sign you think you have no stance.

dips**t belongs in poopie thread

boith conferences are strong..lets leave it at that , unless you want to cuss some more people out :confused:

kids..cant keep thier cool ;)

UNLV and Western Kentucky are bad losses. They happened though at the BEGINNING of the season. When you turn around in BE play and your only losses are to Uconn (1) and ND (UNR), and you beat a #1 team in Pitt, and other top 10 teams, and beat the teams you are supposed to, you're going to be highly ranked. On the other hand, if Wake beat the same nobodies that Ville lost to, but then come into conference play and lose to four teams you should easily beat (none in top 25), Im not so sure that top 10 ranking is deserved.

:rl:

and using dips**t was out of line.

It was a sign you think you have no stance.

dips**t belongs in poopie thread

boith conferences are strong..lets leave it at that , unless you want to cuss some more people out :confused:

kids..cant keep thier cool ;)

I created this thread back in December as a Big East thread, to discuss the Big East season, amongst Big East fans. So when you're friend NYJUNC repeatedly came in and started spewing garbage about the BE being so overrated and this and that, I first tried to ignore him. Then after every time a "top" BE team lost, or even ALMOST lost to a lower ranked team, he would come on here like "see, this proves my point", as if the same stuff didn't happen in the ACC. At some point, I felt I had to respond. When I did, all he came up with is "well you guys only made 5 FF's the past ten years". Again, this thread is about the BE, THIS YEAR.

Please, don't troll my thread AND then tell me I don't have a stance.

I created this thread back in December as a Big East thread, to discuss the Big East season, amongst Big East fans. So when you're friend NYJUNC repeatedly came in and started spewing garbage about the BE being so overrated and this and that, I first tried to ignore him. Then after every time a "top" BE team lost, or even ALMOST lost to a lower ranked team, he would come on here like "see, this proves my point", as if the same stuff didn't happen in the ACC. At some point, I felt I had to respond. When I did, all he came up with is "well you guys only made 5 FF's the past ten years". Again, this thread is about the BE, THIS YEAR.

Please, don't troll my thread AND then tell me I don't have a stance.

You dont have a stance. ;)

And you were out of line with the dips**t comment. It was immature. :confused:

Updated Sagain ratings:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0809.htm

Big Ten moved ahead a tad more over BE :confused:

Which proves what exactly? That his rankings are just a tad inacurate? Does anybody here seriously think that the top Big10 teams (Ill, Purdue, Ohio St., Mich St., or Mich) would have a chance in hell at finishing in the top half of either the ACC or BE?

Well, I guess an argument can be made for MSU, but nobody else in the conference.

Which proves what exactly? That his rankings are just a tad inacurate? Does anybody here seriously think that the top Big10 teams (Ill, Purdue, Ohio St., Mich St., or Mich) would have a chance in hell at finishing in the top half of either the ACC or BE?

Well, I guess an argument can be made for MSU, but nobody else in the conference.

i think its aconference ranking, not a top half of conference ranking..thats where the conf vs conf debates getr cloudy. you have to account for all teams,,so weak ones really bring you down.

If its atop 5 vs to p5 in each conf list, then tahts a diff debate

i think its aconference ranking, not a top half of conference ranking..thats where the conf vs conf debates getr cloudy. you have to account for all teams,,so weak ones really bring you down.

If its atop 5 vs to p5 in each conf list, then tahts a diff debate

And my point is if those Big10 teams that are at the TOP of their conference, were in either the ACC or BE, most of them would probably be in that "intermediate-to-weak" team range. Im not even considering the PSU's and Northwestern's that are at THE BOTTOM of that conference. I have a hard time believing that the Big10 is even comparable to either the ACC or BE this season...Its certainly not even close to as good as either conference.

And my point is if those Big10 teams that are at the TOP of their conference, were in either the ACC or BE, most of them would probably be in that "intermediate-to-weak" team range. Im not even considering the PSU's and Northwestern's that are at THE BOTTOM of that conference. I have a hard time believing that the Big10 is even comparable to either the ACC or BE this season...Its certainly not even close to as good as either conference.

again, top of conf meaningless..its all teams thrown i npot when comparin conf to conf..

maybe we need a top 50% of conf debate :rl:

UNLV and Western Kentucky are bad losses. They happened though at the BEGINNING of the season. When you turn around in BE play and your only losses are to Uconn (1) and ND (UNR), and you beat a #1 team in Pitt, and other top 10 teams, and beat the teams you are supposed to, you're going to be highly ranked. On the other hand, if Wake beat the same nobodies that Ville lost to, but then come into conference play and lose to four teams you should easily beat (none in top 25), Im not so sure that top 10 ranking is deserved.

What other top 10 teams did they beat again? They played 2 top 10 teams and split- played both at home. Their other wins were:

-at struggling at the time 'Nova(looks good now)

-ND

-RU

-at Syracuse(soon to be unranked)

-USF

-WVU

-at SJU

Wow! how could any team navigate such a treacherous sched! Only 2 currently ranked teams and 1 that is near the bot of the top 25 and likely will be out by next week. How did they survive?:yawn:

What other top 10 teams did they beat again? They played 2 top 10 teams and split- played both at home. Their other wins were:

-at struggling at the time 'Nova(looks good now)

-ND

-RU

-at Syracuse(soon to be unranked)

-USF

-WVU

-at SJU

Wow! how could any team navigate such a treacherous sched! Only 2 currently ranked teams and 1 that is near the bot of the top 25 and likely will be out by next week. How did they survive?:yawn:

They beat Pitt, Syracuse (who was hot at the time and ranked 8th), Notre Dame, when they were still a top 20 team, WVU, I believe, when they were still ranked, and then won the games they were supposed to against USF, RU, and SJU. They still play Pitt again I believe as well.

Anyway, I found this quote by Coach Cronin of Cincinnati talking about the BE, and its strength compared to other conferences:

One night after suggesting that a 7-5 record in the Big East is better than a 10-2 mark in C-USA, Cronin declared that Syracuse, the eighth-place team in the Big East, would win the Atlantic 10.

When I informed Cronin that Joe Lunardi, who does the Bracketology feature on ESPN.com, currently had only seven Big East teams in the NCAA Tournament, Cronin said,

They beat Pitt, Syracuse (who was hot at the time and ranked 8th), Notre Dame, when they were still a top 20 team, WVU, I believe, when they were still ranked, and then won the games they were supposed to against USF, RU, and SJU. They still play Pitt again I believe as well.

Anyway, I found this quote by Coach Cronin of Cincinnati talking about the BE, and its strength compared to other conferences:

Now, saying Syracuse is a lock to beat out Xavier for the A10 title may be a bit over the top (Xavier would be approx a 2 point favorite on a neutral court, according to my RPI and SOS rankings), but does he not have a point?

i hear ya, but quotes form coaches is useless..

they all trump thier conferences to get more bids..its playin to the voters etc..

Coach K has been on a mission lately doing lots of interviews sayin exact same thing about acc vs be, big ten etc..

its all playin for bids,,cant put alot of stock into it

i hear ya, but quotes form coaches is useless..

they all trump thier conferences to get more bids..its playin to the voters etc..

Coach K has been on a mission lately doing lots of interviews sayin exact same thing about acc vs be, big ten etc..

its all playin for bids,,cant put alot of stock into it

ya, found some random quotes,,they are all posturing, cant put alot of faith in coaches talking about thier conf:

Krzyzewski remains firm in his opinion that the ACC is better than any other league, including the Big East. He said that, from top to bottom, the ACC is the most competitive league in the country. And he said it isn't even close.

"I think their league is great, Krzyzewski said. "But to me that seems easy to see. We have four teams in the top 10. And the bottom teams thus far are giving the top teams really good battles - and, in fact, winning some.

"To me that's what you call a great league."

WF Dino Gaudio said that despite claiming the No. 1 ranking in college basketball earlier in the season, Georgia Tech played them tougher than anybody has all year. He reiterated that only in the ACC would one of the top-ranked teams in the country find such a challenge with a team at the bottom of its conference.

Now, saying Syracuse is a lock to beat out Xavier for the A10 title may be a bit over the top (Xavier would be approx a 2 point favorite on a neutral court, according to my RPI and SOS rankings), but does he not have a point?

Syracuse was hot when UL beat them? They lost 2 of 3 going into that game by 14 and 18 pts.

ND may have been ranked but they were playing awful basketball having recently lost to SJU and that loss started a 7 game losing streak.

WVU was not ranked.

So Mick Cronin says the BE is the best? That is shocking! Considering his team is in the BE and his team shouldn't be anywhere near discussion for the Tourney.

I don't know who "tried" to get Penn State. But at the time, they in no way wanted to join the same conference as Syracuse, who, at the time, was competing with PSU as the powerhouse football team on the East Coast.

Right, well, Penn State refused to join a conference in football, which is why they stayed in the A-10, where they could maintain football independence. They eventually realized that they couldn't get Notre Dame's TV money, and relented to join the Big Ten, but by that point the Big East wasn't willing to take on PSU's crappy bball program anymore.

---------------

On another note, I honestly can't remember the last time this thread was actually a discussion of Big East basketball.

Should I start up a non-derailed thread, or is that pointless now?

Right, well, Penn State refused to join a conference in football, which is why they stayed in the A-10, where they could maintain football independence. They eventually realized that they couldn't get Notre Dame's TV money, and relented to join the Big Ten, but by that point the Big East wasn't willing to take on PSU's crappy bball program anymore.

---------------

On another note, I honestly can't remember the last time this thread was actually a discussion of Big East basketball.

Should I start up a non-derailed thread, or is that pointless now?

Interesting. Glad I know the history of Penn State joining the Big10 Conference. Not sure why I learned this in ****THE OFFICIAL BE BBALL THREAD**** either though. :Nuts:

Final thought: The fact that Florida State broke into the AP poll this week wasn't only huge in that it guaranteed a Top 25 matchup for the weekend, but also in that it bolted the Seminoles into the national rankings for the first time in more than a decade. Still, there are 10 teams from BCS-affiliated leagues that have not made the AP poll in the past eight years, and that list looks like this (year of last AP poll appearance in parenthesis):

• Seton Hall (2001)

• St. John's (2000)

• DePaul (2000)

• Colorado (1997)

• Penn State (1996)

• Nebraska (1995)

• Oregon State (1990)

• Rutgers (1979)

• Northwestern (1969)

• South Florida (Never)

Interestingly, five of the 10 schools are from the Big East.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11375294

This Week in the Big East Rankings:

- UConn remains at #1 overall in the country in both polls.

- Pitt clocked in at #4 in both polls as well.

- Louisville and Marquette are both in the lower-half of the top-10 in the AP poll.

- Marquette fared one spot lower in the Coaches poll, landing at #11.

- Still, Marquette gained ground in the Coaches poll, despite losing to Villanova this week. They bounced back vs. SJU at the weekend.

- Villanova moved up to #12 in the more prestigious AP poll, and dropped a spot to #14 in the Coaches poll after an up-and-down week with a home-win over Marquette and an away loss against WVU.

- The AP voters seemed to think more of Syracuse, giving them the #24 spot in their poll, a spot higher than the #25 offered by the coaches. Syracuse held onto their national rankings after beating Georgetown at the weekend in an OT squeaker.

- The Big East keeps 6 teams in the rankings this week, all of them ranked above 15 except for Syracuse.

UL gets thrashed for the 2nd week in a row and for the 2nd week in a row doesn't move in the ESPN poll. Villanova loses badly against an unranked team and MOVES UP!

thats why the sagarin rankings are more realistic,,they ALWAYS mirror what ends up happening in tourney much more than coaches or writers polls

Archived