****THE OFFICIAL BIG EAST BBALL THREAD****

gangreenman

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
go away

You think SU deserves to be ranked? Please explain.

...Big East losses count less?

'Cuse still has an RPI around 24/25. WVU's RPI is in the low-teens.

7 of 10 is bad no matter what way you slice it. they were lucky to be ranked the last couple of weeks.

That 10 next to Villanova seems pretty cool, right? Feels like yesterday Syracuse was #8...what happened :confused:

It won't last...

I think we've got at least one more (and hopefully just the one) loss this season. Most-likely to Notre Dame. We only have one day between Georgetown and ND (gee, thanks Big East...)... we'll see.

It won't last...

I think we've got at least one more (and hopefully just the one) loss this season. Most-likely to Notre Dame. We only have one day between Georgetown and ND (gee, thanks Big East...)... we'll see.

*NEWSFLASH* Georgetown and Notre Dame officially suck, you have nothing to be worried about. I see a #2-3 seed for Nova in the dance. ...btw they will win both of those games.

*NEWSFLASH* Georgetown and Notre Dame officially suck, you have nothing to be worried about. I see a #2-3 seed for Nova in the dance. ...btw they will win both of those games.

I wouldn't count ND out just yet. They're a long shot, but if they can finish .500 and beat Nova or UConn and then make a run in the BE tourney, they might get in.

I wouldn't count ND out just yet. They're a long shot, but if they can finish .500 and beat Nova or UConn and then make a run in the BE tourney, they might get in.

Thats what I'm worried about.

Neither team is worse than the 05-06 Syracuse team that went 7-9 in the Big East, then won the Big East Tournament and made the NCAA field. They beat UConn (a 1-seed in the NCAAs that year) and Georgetown (also highly-seeded) in order to do that.

So much for Pitt as #1...

and for that Pittsburgh, I present you with this nice lump of $hit : :pooh:

I thought they were different.

Meanwhile over at the Garden, Syracuse was in absolute rape mode, they beat the crap out of SJ, can we punch their ticket for the dance yet?

and for that Pittsburgh, I present you with this nice lump of $hit : :pooh:

I thought they were different.

Meanwhile over at the Garden, Syracuse was in absolute rape mode, they beat the crap out of SJ, can we punch their ticket for the dance yet?

We still have to beat Cincy and Rutgers.

We lose to either of those teams we're right in the middle of the proverbial "bubble". We win those two and then beat Marquette at Marquette, and we could lose our first BET game and still be a lock for the NCAA's.

We still have to beat Cincy and Rutgers.

We lose to either of those teams we're right in the middle of the proverbial "bubble". We win those two and then beat Marquette at Marquette, and we could lose our first BET game and still be a lock for the NCAA's.

Syracuse in already IMHO, unless a bottom of pack team wins BE tourney

I dont know, 21-10 record (if we lose to MU and either RUTG or Cincy), and a loss to RUTG or Cincy, would put us in the bubble again. Not saying we wouldnt make it. But we'd have to win at least two BET games to be a lock. If we beat both Cincy and RUTG and lose to MU, we'll probably make it either way, although a W in the BET would make it a definite. If we beat all three teams in the reg season, we could lose our first BET game and still get a top 8 seed in the NCAA's.

I dont know, 21-10 record (if we lose to MU and either RUTG or Cincy), and a loss to RUTG or Cincy, would put us in the bubble again. Not saying we wouldnt make it. But we'd have to win at least two BET games to be a lock. If we beat both Cincy and RUTG and lose to MU, we'll probably make it either way, although a W in the BET would make it a definite. If we beat all three teams in the reg season, we could lose our first BET game and still get a top 8 seed in the NCAA's.

After the win last night I think you's have to lose to both Cincy and RU to be on the bubble. if you take are of business I don't think you'll have to win even 1 BE Tourney game.

I tend to agree. However, they' might not like their seeding if they don't beat Cincy and Rutgers.

Apparently tonight's Villanova game is not of interest to ESPN/CBS... I'm pretty sure I can't pick up WPHL all the way down here in Georgia (and NOBODY gets ESPN360). DePaul is still looking for a Big East win, and that scares me.

I actually disagree here GGM. We actually have something we didn't have in years past, signature non conference wins. Memphis which looks better & better every week, Florida who is still a legit tourney team from a BCS conference, and Kansas, which looks better and better by the day. All three of these victories = road or neutral court, I think if they only win one more BE game, they are in for sure, if not, they are already in now. :banana2:

I tend to agree. However, they' might not like their seeding if they don't beat Cincy and Rutgers.

Apparently tonight's Villanova game is not of interest to ESPN/CBS... I'm pretty sure I can't pick up WPHL all the way down here in Georgia (and NOBODY gets ESPN360). DePaul is still looking for a Big East win, and that scares me.

Trap game?

I actually disagree here GGM. We actually have something we didn't have in years past, signature non conference wins. Memphis which looks better & better every week, Florida who is still a legit tourney team from a BCS conference, and Kansas, which looks better and better by the day. All three of these victories = road or neutral court, I think if they only win one more BE game, they are in for sure, if not, they are already in now. :banana2:

SU should be very thankful all 3 of those teams play in weak leagues. Those wins look better every day and in reality they weren't that good it's just these teams have beaten up on their weak leagues.

Trap game?

I think that's all 'Nova has left, actually. Georgetown wants to beat us whether they have something to play for or not. Notre Dame will probably be in need of a big win. Providence would like another big win to finish strong...

We should be able to win out. We are theoretically better than all of our remaining opponents. HOWEVER, we are not invulnerable, and I won't be surprised if we drop one. I just hope that we only drop one (and also that the one we drop isn't the Georgetown game that I bought tickets for.

I think that's all 'Nova has left, actually. Georgetown wants to beat us whether they have something to play for or not. Notre Dame will probably be in need of a big win. Providence would like another big win to finish strong...

We should be able to win out. We are theoretically better than all of our remaining opponents. HOWEVER, we are not invulnerable, and I won't be surprised if we drop one. I just hope that we only drop one (and also that the one we drop isn't the Georgetown game that I bought tickets for.

I think you drop one out of the final games, than win one or 2 in the BE tourney. I project a 3 seed for Nova. There's really no reason to worry I guess if your a Nova fan :rolleyes:

Go UConn? I hate saying it, but I want Notre Dame's dream to be dead by Monday morning.

At this point, Villanova can win out and get the 4th seed for the Big East. Marquette and Pitt still have to play each other (if I am correct) and one of them will lose. If Villanova wins the next three, we (at least) tie the loser of that game on record. We beat Pitt on the head-to-head tie-breaker, and we beat Marquette on the tie-breaker because we both lost to UConn, and Marquette would've lost to Pitt.

I think you drop one out of the final games, than win one or 2 in the BE tourney. I project a 3 seed for Nova. There's really no reason to worry I guess if your a Nova fan :rolleyes:

Hey we beat Cincy and Rutgers and we'll be pretty much in the same boat. You think we'll be back in the top 25 next week if we handle Cincy at home??

SU should be very thankful all 3 of those teams play in weak leagues. Those wins look better every day and in reality they weren't that good it's just these teams have beaten up on their weak leagues.

I agree. Maybe Boeheim will learn his lesson and realize its good to schedule some of the better teams in the weaker conferences (Memphis, Xavier, Gonzaga, etc) in the OOC schedule. Even if they're only OK wins at the time, they will most of the time look like good to great wins at the end of the season.

On the same token, we may see Cuse start to go more and more to the man defense. That gave us a fighting chance against Nova at home.

Hey, its only his 33rd year, still plenty of time to learn.:rl:

Cincy coach, Mike Cronin on ‘Nova: “Villanova’s a Top 12 team in America…and they get no national attention at all because of the four teams ahead of them in our our conference. They’re an elite team that maybe would win or tie for every other conference in America. They’re in fifth in our league.

More BE BS. 'Nova is a good team but they wouldn't challenge any other conference and probablyt wouldn't be ranked as high as they are now w/o the bad bottom half of the BE to beat up on. They have the one big win over Pitt at home, other than that they haven't done anything special.

I prefer Rick Pitino telling it like it is when he said Carolina was the best team inn the Country rather than the typical BS coaches spew about their conference(all coaches in all conf's do it).

Name the conferences Villanova wouldn't be a contender in?

1. America East Conference - WIN
  2. Atlantic 10 Conference - WIN
  3. Atlantic Coast Conference - Here's a spot to debate, I don't think Villanova wins this one, but a top-3 finish? Doable.
  4. Atlantic Sun Conference - WIN
  5. Big 12 Conference - WIN
  6. Big East Conference - 5th/4th place
  7. Big South Conference - WIN
  8. Big Sky Conference - WIN
  9. Big Ten Conference - WIN
  10. Big West Conference - WIN
  11. Colonial Athletic Association - WIN
  12. Conference USA - Maybe 2nd, it's hard to tell how good Memphis really is, nonetheless, we'd wreck the hell out of the rest of the conference
  13. Great West Conference - WIN
  14. Horizon League - WIN
  15. Ivy League - WIN by a lot
  16. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference - WIN
  17. Mid-American Conference - WIN
  18. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference - WIN
  19. Missouri Valley Conference - WIN
  20. Mountain West Conference - WIN
  21. Northeast Conference - WIN / Undefeated / every game by 20+
  22. Ohio Valley Conference - WIN
  23. Pacific 10 Conference - Win or tie
  24. Patriot League - WIN
  25. Southeastern Conference - WIN
  26. Southern Conference - WIN
  27. Southland Conference - WIN
  28. Southwestern Athletic Conference - WIN
  29. Sun Belt Conference - WIN
  30. The Summit League - WIN
  31. West Coast Conference - WIN (Gonzaga is probably overrated. Once again, this is like the situation with Memphis, it's possible that Nova could tie or come in second if Gonzaga is that horribly good, but you can't really tell, because the WCC is a cupcake).
  32. Western Athletic Conference - WIN

3. Atlantic Coast Conference - Here's a spot to debate, I don't think Villanova wins this one, but a top-3 finish? Doable.
  12. Conference USA - Maybe 2nd, it's hard to tell how good Memphis really is, nonetheless, we'd wreck the hell out of the rest of the conference
  14. Horizon League - WIN
  24. Patriot League - WIN
  31. West Coast Conference - WIN (Gonzaga is probably overrated. Once again, this is like the situation with Memphis, it's possible that Nova could tie or come in second if Gonzaga is that horribly good, but you can't really tell, because the WCC is a cupcake).

in acc they would be equal or lower than they are in BE ..after all BE RPI lower than ACC

14. Horizon League - WIN
  24. Patriot League - WIN

I don't care about the small conf's. They'd contend in the SEC and maybe the Pac 10 this year but not the ACC, Big 10 or Big 12(they couldn't even beat a mediocre Texas team from the Big 12).

You wouldn't be top 3 in ACC, you'd be lucky to be top 5. I think you'd be behind carolina, duke, Wake and Clemson.

in acc they would be equal or lower than they are in BE ..after all BE RPI lower than ACC

Villanova's RPI is higher than every ACC team except UNC and Duke. According to RealTimeRPI.com

We'd be second in RPI in the Big10, third in the Big 12...

Our RPI is higher than Louisville, who are ahead of us in the Big East, so RPI doesn't really tell the whole story. The fact that we're close shows that we would be competitive in those leagues.

As for the loss to Texas... we weren't ready for them Jay's teams have gotten off to a slow start the last few years, and this year wasn't any different. It wasn't a blow-out for Texas though. Besides, you can't base such a judgement on one game, over a whole season, Villanova could contend for the top of the big 12.

Villanova's RPI is higher than every ACC team except UNC and Duke. According to RealTimeRPI.com

Our RPI is higher than Louisville, who are ahead of us in the Big East, so RPI doesn't really tell the whole story. The fact that we're close shows that we would be competitive in those leagues.

As for the loss to Texas... we weren't ready for them Jay's teams have gotten off to a slow start the last few years, and this year wasn't any different. It wasn't a blow-out for Texas though. Besides, you can't base such a judgement on one game, over a whole season, Villanova could contend for the top of the big 12.

hey i am a fan of villanova, i just meant since acc rpi higher they might encounter some tougher games as opposed to the bottom of BE which is a cakewalk,,they would still be good though

The RPI is one of the ways to measure, it's not the be all end all. The RPI is flawed and again how can you guys use RPI for teams but then ignore that they have the ACC rated as the #1 conference?

Villanova is a good team but you overrate them. They'd be competitive and in the top half of any league but they would win any of the top leagues and would be about where they are now in the BE in most leagues. A good 2nd tier type of team.

You lost by double digits to Texas. Would you contend? think you'd be really good and as gooas Kansas(who is overrated) but you wouldn't beat out OU.

Archived