From These Six Players (You Can Only Keep 3)

YJF

THE 6 PLAYERS

Chad Pennington, John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Kareem McKenzie, Jason Ferguson and Lamont Jordan.

I'll take Pennington, Abraham and Ellis please.

Which 3 would you choose?

THE 6 PLAYERS

Chad Pennington, John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Kareem McKenzie, Jason Ferguson and Lamont Jordan.

Can't argue with you there YJF.

I think we learned from Ryan Young that OL can be replaced.

Ferguson while nice can be replaced as well.

Jordan is unique because he was stuck playing behind a HOF back. For that reason alone the Jets could not franchise him. It would not suprise me to see Jordan rush for 11 maybe 12 hundred yards one day or the Raiders but he was not gonna push Curtis to the bench this year.

If I were the Jets GM, I would keep Abraham, Ellis and Jordan then find a new qb on draft day.

why keep Lamont around when Curtis still has 2-3 years left in him? by the time Curtis retires, Lamont would be 29

the obvious solution would be to keep Ferguson, Becht and sign Legree :wink:

I would not sign Curtis Martin to a recockulous extension and I would have waited to extend Pennington until after his 2004 season of "better than mediocre".

With the money I didn't use to sign CuMar to recockulousness, I'd have Jordan.

With the money I didn't give Pennington, I'd have Pat Williams (ABC).

Pennington

Abraham

Ellis

Jordan

Williams

Voila.

I would not sign Curtis Martin to a recockulous extension and I would have waited to extend Pennington until after his 2004 season of "better than mediocre".

Pennington

Abraham

Ellis

Jordan

Williams

Voila.

I can't wait to hear Jet fans rebuttal to this one.

Pennington

Abraham

Ellis

Jordan

Williams

Voila.

well considering Cu had 1697 yards, why give the ball to an unproven backup like Lamont who's best game came as garbage yards against Miami when CuMart did all the work?

why keep Lamont around when Curtis still has 2-3 years left in him? by the time Curtis retires, Lamont would be 29

Man, you guys are in the same boat with Martin as we were with Bettis a couple years ago IMO. Here's hoping ya get a decent back in the draft.

Man, you guys are in the same boat with Martin as we were with Bettis a couple years ago IMO. Here's hoping ya get a decent back in the draft.

Yea, but the difference is Bettis restructured his contract at least 100 times to help the Steelers get better.

Martin just take all the money and pads his stats against bottom-feeding defensive teams.

1-curtis led the league in rushing this year, you cant ask for anything more than that (other than his 0 fumbles lost)

2-we got blaylock, hes a decent backup

1-curtis led the league in rushing this year, you cant ask for anything more than that (other than his 0 fumbles lost)

2-we got blaylock, hes a decent backup

Good points. We have Duce Staley as well, but i still want to see the Steelers draft a RB for the future. I hate being old at 1 position.

Pennington

Abraham

Ellis

Jordan

Williams

Voila.

Yeah, but hindsight's 20/20. Who knows what position the Jets would be in right now.

Either way, they signed the right three players. It's alot harder to replace a QB than a back up running back. Most teams can rotate an offensive tackle and/or a defensive tackle. It's harder to replace gamebreakers (who I'm not against trading) and pro bowl players.

Pennington

Abraham

Ellis

Jordan

Williams

Voila.

Money was never the issue with Jordan.

Based on what we offered him he wasn't staying unless he was starting.

So in essence your alphabet soup GMing would leave you with the decision of cutting or trading the NFL rushing champ to promise Jordan the starting job.

It would be a ballsy move but one I am not sure you'd make if you owned the decision.

Because if I was running the show, Curtis would have this season as his last hurrah and then he would have to know his role and step down. He could either step down gracefully like Faulk did or he could get his old decrepid ass on down the road.

I'm surprised nobody even commented on me not wanting to keep Pennington. To me, he has really done nothing to prove that he is the quarterback you want for the long haul. He can't stay on the field for an entire season and he has absolutely choked nearly every big game he's been in. At $64 million I would expect a hell of alot more than that. I would take my chances, let him hit the road and draft myself a nice rookie in the first round. With a solid defense and a good running game, you don't need Tom Brady at QB. I mean just look at the Steelers.

Pennington

Abraham

Ellis

Jordan

Williams

Voila.

All this stuff is cute in theory. It's rather simple really.

You keep your franchise QB, You keep your two pro bowl franchise DE"s. Never do you decide to keep a backup RB over any of those 3.

That's nucking futs. I don't care how great the backup is. That's like telling Carolina, Pick Deshaun Foster over Julius Peppers, Mike Rucker or Jake Delhomme.

You can't keep a backup RB when the starter is one of the best in the league.

Especially when you have one of the game's top 5 RB's to begin with in Curtis Martin.

If Jordan is Curtis Martin. Next year, He'll top 1,700 yards and score 16 tds. That way, He can match what Curtis did.

Yea, but the difference is Bettis restructured his contract at least 100 times to help the Steelers get better.

Martin just take all the money and pads his stats against bottom-feeding defensive teams.

That's probably the stupidest post that you have ever had.

Difference is Martin is better than Bettis. That's the difference. I didn't see Bettis run for 1,700 yards last year.

Here's the point that drives me crazy! Lamont

would be a old back at 29 I agree! But you have

no problem with Martin as a 35 year old back??

Or 33 or 34 either! :roll:

Here's the point that drives me crazy! Lamont

would be a old back at 29 I agree! But you have

no problem with Martin as a 35 year old back??

Or 33 or 34 either! :roll:

Which goes back to my thread the other day, why draft a future replacemnt with a 2nd round pick, especially with a back that has been freakishly healthy for a demanding position.

It was a stupid pick by the Jets.

Because if I was running the show, Curtis would have this season as his last hurrah and then he would have to know his role and step down. He could either step down gracefully like Faulk did or he could get his old decrepid a$$ on down the road.

I'm surprised nobody even commented on me not wanting to keep Pennington. To me, he has really done nothing to prove that he is the quarterback you want for the long haul. He can't stay on the field for an entire season and he has absolutely choked nearly every big game he's been in. At $64 million I would expect a hell of alot more than that. I would take my chances, let him hit the road and draft myself a nice rookie in the first round. With a solid defense and a good running game, you don't need Tom Brady at QB. I mean just look at the Steelers.

Gotta disagree with you here Alk.

Why are the Pats exploring a extension with Dillon who is one year younger than Martin?

Back-Up Running Backs are much easier to replace, that's just the way it is. Jordan was almost certainly assured this was Curtis last hurrah as you state in your plan but he wanted to start now.

As for Pennington the Jets may have saved some cash in waiting to resign him but would you roll the dice on that going into 2004? Besides, lets look at his two big play-off games this year. The Jets beat SD and were in positon twice to beat Pitt. Pennington with a torn RC would be the top FA QB on the market right now.

Just remember- Being a GM in hindsight is easy.

YoungJetsFans question was real time.

Why are the Pats exploring a extension with Dillon who is one year younger than Martin?

Back-Up Running Backs are much easier to replace, that's just the way it is. Jordan was almost certainly assured this was Curtis last hurrah as you state in your plan but he wanted to start now.

As for Pennington the Jets may have saved some cash in waiting to resign him but would you roll the dice on that going into 2004? Besides, lets look at his two big play-off games this year. The Jets beat SD and were in positon twice to beat Pitt. Pennington with a torn RC would be the top FA QB on the market right now.

Just remember- Being a GM in hindsight is easy.

YoungJetsFans question was real time.

Which goes back to the question why draft Jordan?

The Jets signed Blaylock, a 4th or 5th round pick. The Patriots drafted Cedric Cobbs in the 4th after signing Dillon.

Again, the Jets either had a lack of vision or lack of faith in Curtis. You do not waste a 2nd round pick on a RB you cut loose 4 years later.

The Jets signed Blaylock, a 4th or 5th round pick. The Patriots drafted Cedric Cobbs in the 4th after signing Dillon.

Again, the Jets either had a lack of vision or lack of faith in Curtis. You do not waste a 2nd round pick on a RB you cut loose 4 years later.

Point understood the first time you posted.

Who could have known Martin would stay in the upper tier of Backs? You are insinuating you knew Curtis would maintain this level of play.

Jordan was a key player in the Jets making the play-offs this year so the selection is validated. Some circles even feel we have already adequately replaced him with Blaylock.

By the way what happened to drafting the best available player at your spot which Jordan probably was.

And get nothing in return to boot!! I Guarentee

that if any other OC had Martin after his 2 TD

showing in 03 Jordan would have seen more playing

time in a 6-10 season and would have started some

games that year if nothing else but to "Showcase"

him for a trade to get something back! But NO, padding

the stats for Martin was more important then what was

good for the Team! Another reason why Hackett

was Death for the Offense but great for Martin!

THE 6 PLAYERS

YJF:

Good point. I mentioned this yesterday. It is like opening one of your presents before XMAS morning.

On XMAS you have less to open and you are PISSED. But it is all part of the equation. They were just proactive with some of them.

That's probably the stupidest post that you have ever had.

Difference is Martin is better than Bettis. That's the difference. I didn't see Bettis run for 1,700 yards last year.

First of all NewbieTeenagerYoungJetsFan, all of my posts are well thought out, intelligent and to the point.

They are never "stupid".

And I didn't see Martin run for 1,700 yards last year either. :wink:

It's really pretty simple. We don't have a Lamont Jordan waiting in the wings like you guys did. If we had a young RB that was worth a damn, I really doubt we would be looking to extend Dillon.

First of all NewbieTeenagerYoungJetsFan, all of my posts are well thought out, intelligent and to the point.

They are never "stupid".

And I didn't see Martin run for 1,700 yards last year either. :wink:

Sorry.LOL. 1,697... major slip up on my part. He also had 16 tds. Anyway.

Martin is the most disrespected superstar in history. Lamont Jordan can run for 1,200 yards next year and Curtis can get 1,400 and Jets fans will rip Martin and praise Jordan.

You know how many teams would freaking die to have a back like Martin.

To me, Jordan playing here wasn't a waste. He gave us 4 great seasons. He was an important piece in the puzzle and in many ways, I think his presence pushed Martin to get better.

You never know what could happen in this league. 3 years from now. Lamont may want out of Oakland and could get traded right back to us for Derrick Blaylock.Anything is possible. lol Hell, Freaking Coles is back.

Money was never the issue with Jordan.

Based on what we offered him he wasn't staying unless he was starting.

So in essence your alphabet soup GMing would leave you with the decision of cutting or trading the NFL rushing champ to promise Jordan the starting job.

It would be a ballsy move but one I am not sure you'd make if you owned the decision.

Curtis Martin will be 32 this upcoming year.

No NFL RB has ever had any kind of season at or after 33. The best I can think of was Marcus Allen's 890 yard season at 35 y.o.

Paul Brown always said "it's better to get rid of a player a season too early than a season too late"

Archived