From These Six Players (You Can Only Keep 3)

YJF

You Pats fans are mis-placing your chronologies, but your point is somewhat OK. The Jets had to extend Martin's deal or lose him in the midst of Parcells' Super Bowl push. He gave Martin a sweet 'thanks for coming here from New England, now take Leon's money' contract, with the assumption that he'd have won a championship with him. When Vinny went down and that didn't happen, and with ownership changing hands, Parcells bolted, leaving us with alot of crappy contracts, including Martin's.

As for drafting Jordan in the 2nd round when they did, I can't really fault Bradway for it. At least Terry finally drafted a player who could play in the 2nd round. Sure, he'll be doing it with the Raiders, but that's another story.

If you want to know who the biggest goat in this whole thing is, it's Herm. You have an aging back with limited athletic ability who can grind it out in Martin, and Lamont, who can score from anywhere on the field, sitting the bench. If Herman had a functioning brain cell in his head, Lamont would have gotten 250 carries (at least) each of the past few years, while they preserved Martin. Lamont couldn't even get in the game when Martin had two broken ankles, for God's sake. Instead, Herm would just bitch about "not getting any explosion plays" and then turn around the next week and let Hackett call swing passes all game, and running Curtis up the gut. Embarrassing. I don't blame Bradway so much as I blame Herm. You can't knock a guy for bringing talented player in, but you can blame a guy for not getting those talented players on the field.

Hope the formatting takes

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Rushing | Receiving |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| 1995 nw | 16 | 368 1487 4.0 14 | 30 261 8.7 1 |

| 1996 nw | 16 | 316 1152 3.6 14 | 46 333 7.2 3 |

| 1997 nw | 13 | 274 1160 4.2 4 | 41 296 7.2 1 |

| 1998 nyj | 15 | 369 1287 3.5 8 | 43 365 8.5 1 |

| 1999 nyj | 16 | 367 1464 4.0 5 | 45 259 5.8 0 |

| 2000 nyj | 16 | 316 1204 3.8 9 | 70 508 7.3 2 |

| 2001 nyj | 16 | 333 1513 4.5 10 | 53 320 6.0 0 |

| 2002 nyj | 16 | 261 1094 4.2 7 | 49 362 7.4 0 |

| 2003 nyj | 16 | 323 1308 4.0 2 | 42 262 6.2 0 |

| 2004 nyj | 16 | 371 1697 4.6 12 | 41 245 6.0 2

Looking at this chart you understand what happened.

In the pre-2001 offseason the Jets drafted Jordan. Martin had been under 4.0 ypc two of the last three years and they were anticipating a decline, and perhaps a cut due to cap reasons.

Then Martin went out and had the best season of his career.

Rather than biting any kind of bullet, Bradway signed him to reckless and poorly designed 8 year extension that has given the Jets good cap room but NO ability to sever ties with Martin under any circumstance.

Understandable, but wrong, and clearly so even at the time.

First of all NewbieTeenagerYoungJetsFan, all of my posts are well thought out, intelligent and to the point.

They are never "stupid".

And I didn't see Martin run for 1,700 yards last year either. :wink:

When YJF is on a roll he like to pad stats like

Martin does..Martin didn't have 16 TD's either!LOL

Point understood the first time you posted.

Who could have known Martin would stay in the upper tier of Backs? You are insinuating you knew Curtis would maintain this level of play.

Jordan was a key player in the Jets making the play-offs this year so the selection is validated. Some circles even feel we have already adequately replaced him with Blaylock.

By the way what happened to drafting the best available player at your spot which Jordan probably was.

The Jets need in 2001 was a DT or a W/R..we could

have had Shaun Rogers or Chris Chambers instead of

a 2nd rd player never starting a game in 4 years! :roll:

Given the situation as it was at the start of this offseason (hindsight is always 20/20, but that doesn't mean we can change the past) the decision on these six players is very clear.

You keep Pennington, Ellis and Abraham. And if you can (and we could have if we wished it, but chose not to) we keep EITHER Jordan OR Furgeson. However, allowing them both to leave due to the cost involved is not a horrible thing.

Not filling those holes with relatively equal players....THAT is a horrible thing. Lets see what Bradway does.

You are such a wiseass. I gotta give you credit though. You are a persistent wise a$$. You will fight me on every single yard. You make me stay on the top of my game.

YJF, rule number one: Always respect your elders. :wink:

Some of my favorite readings the last two years have been between you and Savage.

Archived