Eric Mangini- Browns New Head Coach!!!!!!!!

Vudu

I bet Cleveland gets to a SB before the Jets do. Mangini is a good coach. I bet if he didn't do so well with the disaster of a team Herm left in 2006, and went 4-12, 4-12, 9-7, he still would be coaching here. He raised expectations too high while rebuilding. Favre also raised expectations unfairly and then sucked when it counted. The fact is the defense got better each year, and this year he would have brought in Rob Ryan, who now will go to Cleveland and make them better. He probably will have more control of his fate now without an owner who pressures him on personell decisions based on selling tickets instead of winning games.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet Cleveland gets to a SB before the Jets do. Mangini is a good coach. I bet if he didn't do so well with the disaster of a team Herm left in 2006, and went 4-12, 4-12, 9-7, he still would be coaching here. He raised expectations too high while rebuilding. Favre also raised expectations unfairly and then sucked when it counted. The fact is the defense got better each year, and this year he would have brought in Rob Ryan, who now will go to Cleveland and make them better. He probably will have more control of his fate now without an owner who pressures him on personell decisions based on selling tickets instead of winning games.

So you have man love for Mangini? He took over a team that went 4-12 in 2005 and took them to a 10-6 record in 2006 (playing a last placed schedule) just to see them get destroyed by the Pats in the playoffs.

2007: 4-12

2008: 9-7

GFY

Mangini never had a chance with the INT leader on board. He deserved at least 1 more season.

Very clever come back. Not like I should expect more.

Anyways, the INT leader has put together very good seasons. And if you actually paid attention rather then state the obvious you'd notice that the ball was put more and more into Favre's hand at the end of the year. When we beat you guys, and then beat the Titans and were on that hot streak Jones was getting 17-30 touches a game. And who's call do you think that was? Mangini's.

What's ridiculous is your coming on here and defending Mangini just to be a d00sh without having any back up outside of the predictable "FAVRE LED THE LEAGUE IN INTS, POOR MANGINI NEVER HAD A CHANCE!!" He made questionable decisions in the SEA game. Made Shaun Hill look like an HoF QB, was saved by the grace of god against BUF because we coudln't stop the run.

Granted, players need to execute but to be at the helm of such a DEFENSIVE collapse is no one but Mangini's fault. Especially considering he changed the strategy after getting STOMPED by Denver. He couldn't come up with a gameplay to generate pressure against a terrible O line in SEA. Favre is plenty at fault here, but who's call was it to ultimately put the ball in his hands? Mangini didn't deserve anything after that collapse, he in a sense got what he deserved, his fate in someone else's hand. He could have been kept, and I could've lived with that, there are arguments for that.

If you're gonna come at me come with substatiative evidence. Not general statements.

So you have man love for Mangini? He took over a team that went 4-12 in 2005 and took them to a 10-6 record in 2006 (playing a last placed schedule) just to see them get destroyed by the Pats in the playoffs.

2007: 4-12

2008: 9-7

I think he is a good coach who is young and will get better. I don't think anyone expected him to get to the SB in his first three years with the team that Herm left him. I think even Belly would have had trouble making Favre take care of the ball and wouldn't have been able to win games with 9 ints and 2 tds in the last 5 games.

The 9-7 record doesn't exist in a vacuum. Mangini went 9-7 with a team that should have been at least 13-3 with better coaching.

No way we should have lost:

Pats game #1 in Cassel's first start

Oakland game

San Fran game

Seattle game

and probably Miami game #2

Favre didn't even know the plays in the first NE game. Also, the team was built for run first, ball control type offense and then switched on the fly when the gunslinger came in. I still think it was Favre's horrible play that was the major factor in the year end swoon including Seatle and San Fran games. They were winnable. I remember particularly that Favre missed several open receivers in the Seatle game, including Clowney wide open for a sure TD. He just wasn't making any throws. Also we might win that Miami game on that last drive if not for that horrible int over Stucky's head. Oakland is the only game I think coaching might have been the deciding factor.

Favre didn't even know the plays in the first NE game. Also, the team was built for run first, ball control type offense and then switched on the fly when the gunslinger came in. I still think it was Favre's horrible play that was the major factor in the year end swoon including Seatle and San Fran games. They were winnable. I remember particularly that Favre missed several open receivers in the Seatle game, including Clowney wide open for a sure TD. He just wasn't making any throws. Also we might win that Miami game on that last drive if not for that horrible int over Stucky's head. Oakland is the only game I think coaching might have been the deciding factor.

What about the Buffalo game? A lot ALOT of these games were very poor game planning and execution.

Of course I'm rooting against him, I hated Mangini as a coach. This team had arguably the worst collapse in franchise history under him after we had established ourselves as a legit Super Bowl contender. Our GM got us Brett Favre, and it went to waste. Our GM drafted and signed several Pro Bowlers, and it went to waste. Our fanbase showed up and got excited like never before, and it all went to waste.

Why? Mangini, that's why. I'm not rooting for him at all, the dude sucked the life out of me for several years and helped the Jets reclaim the stigma of "same ol' Jets," after we'd just gone through a decade where we were on the verge of dispelling it. Eff Mangini. Eff him in the ear.

What grinds my gears is the fact that he's getting so much credit for interviewing well. OF COURSE he was going to interview well. He got hired in the largest market in the country as the youngest head coach ever at the time, and he's already been through the process before. The dude knows how to interview. He just doesn't know how to coach, and unfortunately I had to see this while he was doing it on my team. And all of a sudden, there's this revisionist history because he landed a job quickly? Give me a break. Mangini sucked balls.

I do pity Browns fans though. God forbid he gets 9 to 11 wins next season and gets their hopes up, because he never comes through.

This could have been written directly from my brain. Couldn't have said it better.

Favre was also clearly injured later on. Mangini should have benched him.

And that's a load of crap for the beginning of the season as well. If the guy doesn't know the plays, he sits. Especially a QB of all positions. But it's even more crap because Favre has seen every play in a playbook over the years. Only difference is the terminology that one system uses over another. There is no magic play in Shotty's playbook that is foreign or totally new to Brett Favre. He doesn't even have to rely on hand-signals; he gets the plays through his helmet for Chrissake. It can come through with quickie cheat-notes like "X-receiver does this, Y-receiver does that" & might take as much as 5 seconds to convey it. Hell, Shotty can have a little conversion chart in his booth to say that the next play is ___, which is the same as play ___ from GB's playbook.

And if Mangini let those two bumpkins go into a game armed with an arsenal of a dozen plays, it is on him. He is the boss.

Besides that, in the first NE game our RB's were getting gains in 5+ yard chunks vs NE in that game and we went into the 4th quarter with 3 points. The only time we stuck with the run was trying to ram non-power-runner Thomas Jones right smack into Vince Wilfork 3x in a row.

If the team was built for the run and "switched on the fly" - particularly with, as you attest, a QB who doesn't know enough plays, that is also on Mangini.

And routinely dropping no fewer than 7 guys into coverage is hardly on Favre, sucky job that he so often did himself.

And that's a load of crap for the beginning of the season as well. If the guy doesn't know the plays, he sits. Especially a QB of all positions. But it's even more crap because Favre has seen every play in a playbook over the years. Only difference is the terminology that one system uses over another. There is no magic play in Shotty's playbook that is foreign or totally new to Brett Favre. He doesn't even have to rely on hand-signals; he gets the plays through his helmet for Chrissake. It can come through with quickie cheat-notes like "X-receiver does this, Y-receiver does that" & might take as much as 5 seconds to convey it. Hell, Shotty can have a little conversion chart in his booth to say that the next play is ___, which is the same as play ___ from GB's playbook.

And if Mangini let those two bumpkins go into a game armed with an arsenal of a dozen plays, it is on him. He is the boss.

Besides that, in the first NE game our RB's were getting gains in 5+ yard chunks vs NE in that game and we went into the 4th quarter with 3 points. The only time we stuck with the run was trying to ram non-power-runner Thomas Jones right smack into Vince Wilfork 3x in a row.

If the team was built for the run and "switched on the fly" - particularly with, as you attest, a QB who doesn't know enough plays, that is also on Mangini.

And routinely dropping no fewer than 7 guys into coverage is hardly on Favre, sucky job that he so often did himself.

lets face it, favre quit on the season, especially in the final game.

i'm not mad the jets got him, like almost everyone else, i was on board with the trade, it didn't work, now it's time to go Brett, thanks

Of course I'm rooting against him, I hated Mangini as a coach. This team had arguably the worst collapse in franchise history under him after we had established ourselves as a legit Super Bowl contender. Our GM got us Brett Favre, and it went to waste. Our GM drafted and signed several Pro Bowlers, and it went to waste. Our fanbase showed up and got excited like never before, and it all went to waste.

Why? Mangini, that's why. I'm not rooting for him at all, the dude sucked the life out of me for several years and helped the Jets reclaim the stigma of "same ol' Jets," after we'd just gone through a decade where we were on the verge of dispelling it. Eff Mangini. Eff him in the ear.

What grinds my gears is the fact that he's getting so much credit for interviewing well. OF COURSE he was going to interview well. He got hired in the largest market in the country as the youngest head coach ever at the time, and he's already been through the process before. The dude knows how to interview. He just doesn't know how to coach, and unfortunately I had to see this while he was doing it on my team. And all of a sudden, there's this revisionist history because he landed a job quickly? Give me a break. Mangini sucked balls.

I do pity Browns fans though. God forbid he gets 9 to 11 wins next season and gets their hopes up, because he never comes through.

please.

i stopped reading your reply after you suggested we were "superbowl contenders"

news flash: a five game win streak doesn't make you Super Bowl contenders. Getting to the playoffs and winning games does. See: the Colts 9 game win streak, before losing in the WILD CARD ROUND.

Oh, but they were headed into the playoffs, and Mangini messed it up. The poor players -- they're such victims.

give

me

a

break

please.

news flash: a five game win streak doesn't make you Super Bowl contenders. Getting to the playoffs and winning games does. See: the Colts 9 game win streak, before losing in the WILD CARD ROUND.

Oh, but they were headed into the playoffs, and Mangini messed it up. The poor players -- they're such victims.

give

me

a

break

Your right Mangini was a great coach with a bad team.

Gotta disagree with you here. They bring in a HOF QB, probably on the owner's orders to pump up PSL sales, and the 37 yo coach is going to sit him? With a record consecutive game starting streak no less? Mangini didn't have the power or standing in the organization to sit Favre, he had to make the best of the situation. And he did very well, getting to 8-3 before Favre's arm and decision making went south. I always got your disdain for Herm Edwards, but your assessment of Mangini is overly critical given the team he was given and the length of time he had to succeed.

Gotta disagree with you here. They bring in a HOF QB, probably on the owner's orders to pump up PSL sales, and the 37 yo coach is going to sit him? With a record consecutive game starting streak no less? Mangini didn't have the power or standing in the organization to sit Favre, he had to make the best of the situation. And he did very well, getting to 8-3 before Favre's arm and decision making went south. I always got your disdain for Herm Edwards, but your assessment of Mangini is overly critical given the team he was given and the length of time he had to succeed.

He can't get his HOF QB, who has seen and practiced every offensive formation there is, to memorize more than a dozen or so plays in a month of practice with the team? I mean, what is Favre's IQ under the speed limit? Give me a break.

There are ways around a QB only being with the team from August 8th-ish onward. Mangini & his band of merry men simply didn't think of any.

He can't get his HOF QB, who has seen and practiced every offensive formation there is, to memorize more than a dozen or so plays in a month of practice with the team? I mean, what is Favre's IQ under the speed limit? Give me a break.

There are ways around a QB only being with the team from August 8th-ish onward. Mangini & his band of merry men simply didn't think of any.

He got them to 8-3 so it wasn't getting Favre up to speed that was the problem, although I think it was a factor losing early to SD and NE. The real problem was the last 5 games and I guess it comes down to who you think is more responsible. I think coaching had a lot less to do with it than Favre's poor play, and I don't think you can criticize Mangini for not benching him given Favre's stature, consecutive game streak, and the 2 light weight reserve QB's available. Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree, because Mangini is gone and I have to go to bed.

He got them to 8-3 so it wasn't getting Favre up to speed that was the problem, although I think it was a factor losing early to SD and NE. The real problem was the last 5 games and I guess it comes down to who you think is more responsible. I think coaching had a lot less to do with it than Favre's poor play, and I don't think you can criticize Mangini for not benching him given Favre's stature, consecutive game streak, and the 2 light weight reserve QB's available. Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree, because Mangini is gone and I have to go to bed.

With the season on the line, I most definitely can criticize Mangini for not benching a QB who is killing the offense with his brutal chuck & duck picks to no one.

I agree that Mangini should have been given another year but what's with the GFY ? Because he told you to man up ? Comments like that is why people hate trolls like you .

STFU

Yes, Mangini is a rat and a snitch but that doesnt change the fact that he should have been given another season. The two have nothing to do with one another.

STFU

Yes, Mangini is a rat and a snitch but that doesnt change the fact that he should have been given another season. The two have nothing to do with one another.

Let me get this straight. In your diseased mind the person who informs the authorities of a crime is a worse person than the one who is actually committing a crime? So the person who sees a murder and tells the cops about it is the bad guy and the murderer is cool and long as he keeps his mouth shut? I was not aware that the criminal temperament has saturated popular thinking to such an extent. Blah blah blah, you're a lowlife if you thinking a "rat" is worse than a cheater.

Very clever come back. Not like I should expect more.

Anyways, the INT leader has put together very good seasons. And if you actually paid attention rather then state the obvious you'd notice that the ball was put more and more into Favre's hand at the end of the year. When we beat you guys, and then beat the Titans and were on that hot streak Jones was getting 17-30 touches a game. And who's call do you think that was? Mangini's.

What's ridiculous is your coming on here and defending Mangini just to be a d00sh without having any back up outside of the predictable "FAVRE LED THE LEAGUE IN INTS, POOR MANGINI NEVER HAD A CHANCE!!" He made questionable decisions in the SEA game. Made Shaun Hill look like an HoF QB, was saved by the grace of god against BUF because we coudln't stop the run.

Granted, players need to execute but to be at the helm of such a DEFENSIVE collapse is no one but Mangini's fault. Especially considering he changed the strategy after getting STOMPED by Denver. He couldn't come up with a gameplay to generate pressure against a terrible O line in SEA. Favre is plenty at fault here, but who's call was it to ultimately put the ball in his hands? Mangini didn't deserve anything after that collapse, he in a sense got what he deserved, his fate in someone else's hand. He could have been kept, and I could've lived with that, there are arguments for that.

If you're gonna come at me come with substatiative evidence. Not general statements.

Come at you?:lol: Oh Boy. Get over yourself.

I love all the Mangini blame and excuse making.

You want to pass the majority of the blame on the decision making and defense?

Jones carries at the end were consistent with what he had all season: 16 vs Denver, 20 vs Buffalo, 17 vs Seattle. He had his best season ever and made the Pro Bowl.

Every team runs the ball more in 4th quarter when they're ahead. Do you suppose Jones would have gotten a few more carries if NJ had the lead?

The Jets had to play catch up in the majority of those losses and like any other team they passed the ball more to get back into the game.

What about Farve throwing an INT in the beginning of the Denver game? Denver was up 27 - 14 at the half. I watched that game between Patriots tv Timeouts.

Farves 3 INT performance vs Miami was the defense and Manginis fault too. The Jets lost by 7 points, but the fact that Favre threw a gift INT touchdown to Miami just doesnt matter. As much as I hate Mangini, it was painful to watch Favre bend him over. At least Belichick and Pioli had a good laugh.

Many on this board say Jenkins was injured after the NE game. Did that hurt the Jets run D and pass rush? Would it affect game planning?

Whos call was it to put the ball in Favres hands? Why is he still even on the roster? ESPN says Woody wants him to came back.

Let me get this straight. In your diseased mind the person who informs the authorities of a crime is a worse person than the one who is actually committing a crime? So the person who sees a murder and tells the cops about it is the bad guy and the murderer is cool and long as he keeps his mouth shut? I was not aware that the criminal temperament has saturated popular thinking to such an extent. Blah blah blah, you're a lowlife if you thinking a "rat" is worse than a cheater.

Hey Arsehole

What does murder have to do with taping signals? Go to extremes very much?

Mangini is a stooli and a snitch. He knew all about taping while in NE but stayed quiet until landing a HC job.

Come at you?:lol: Oh Boy. Get over yourself.

I love all the Mangini blame and excuse making.

You want to pass the majority of the blame on the decision making and defense?

Jones carries at the end were consistent with what he had all season: 16 vs Denver, 20 vs Buffalo, 17 vs Seattle. He had his best season ever and made the Pro Bowl.

Every team runs the ball more in 4th quarter when they're ahead. Do you suppose Jones would have gotten a few more carries if NJ had the lead?

The Jets had to play catch up in the majority of those losses and like any other team they passed the ball more to get back into the game.

What about Farve throwing an INT in the beginning of the Denver game? Denver was up 27 - 14 at the half. I watched that game between Patriots tv Timeouts.

Farves 3 INT performance vs Miami was the defense and Manginis fault too. The Jets lost by 7 points, but the fact that Favre threw a gift INT touchdown to Miami just doesnt matter. As much as I hate Mangini, it was painful to watch Favre bend him over. At least Belichick and Pioli had a good laugh.

Many on this board say Jenkins was injured after the NE game. Did that hurt the Jets run D and pass rush? Would it affect game planning?

Whos call was it to put the ball in Favres hands? Why is he still even on the roster? ESPN says Woody wants him to came back.

I'm saying there are two people to blame, Mangini #1 and Favre #2. If both had come back, I could see reason's for that. If both are gone, good riddance. Mangini is gone and Favre might retire, it doesn't bother me one bit. Let's not make Mangini innocent here. He changed defensive game plans after the Den game, and our D could do NOTHING, stop the run or stop the pass.

please.

give

me

a

break

Newflash: Being 8-3, on a 5 game winning streak and blowing out a 10-0 team on their own field makes you Super Bowl Contenders in ANYONE's book.

Archived