ESPN crowns Utah National Champs

SouthernJet

Oklahoma and Florida can battle for the BCS. But we've already crowned the true national champ.

by Rick Reilly

0107reilly.jpg

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

The Utes trampled Alabama to complete a perfect season. How are they not national champions?

Some gifts people give are pointless: Styling mousse to Dick Vitale. An all-you-can-eat card to Kate Moss. The BCS Championship given to Oklahoma or Florida.

It means nothing because the BCS has no credibility. Florida? Oklahoma? Who cares? Utah is the national champion.

The End. Roll credits.

Argue with this, please. I beg you. Find me anybody else that went undefeated. Thirteen-and-zero. Beat four ranked teams. Went to the Deep South and seal-clubbed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The same Alabama that was ranked No. 1 for five weeks. The same Alabama that went undefeated in the regular season. The same Alabama that Florida beat in order to get INTO the BCS Championship game in the first place.

FIND ME ANYBODY ELSE THAT WENT UNDEFEATED. THIRTEEN-AND-ZERO. BEAT FOUR RANKED TEAMS. WENT TO THE DEEP SOUTH AND SEAL-CLUBBED ALABAMA IN THE SUGAR BOWL.

Yeah, that's how it is now in the shameful, money-grubbing world of college football. If you're Florida and you beat Alabama, you get a seat in the title game. If you're Utah, you get a seat on your sofa.

Hey, remind me: What do they give out for one of those BCS things anyway? It's been so long since I cared. Something from Sears? This is the sixth year in the past 10 that the title has been in dispute under this cash-grab, fan-dis, monopoly that the BCS has created. Which is why the title game just doesn't matter anymore. It's like being named Miss Ogallala. Or Best Amish Electrician.

Just take a look at the teams that think they're worthy of being called national champs:

USC? Great year. Wonderful. Let's all go to SkyBar and celebrate. But it lost to Oregon State, a team Utah beat.

Texas? You think beating Ohio State by a nubby three points gets you the title? The Big Ten was 1-6 in bowl games! That's like pinning David Spade!

Florida and Oklahoma? They lost. Utah never did.

So that's it. Utah is the national champion. The Utes should probably have two now, actually. They went undefeated in 2004, too, and their coach still thinks they were the best team in the land. Smart fella named Urban Meyer. Coaches Florida now.

By the way, we're calling our title the "national" championship because it actually includes the whole nation­

don't be shocked if AP poll goes to utah

it will sent shockwaves and maybe generate a plus 1 game

I won't be shocked, but all that matters is who is the BCS National Champion. No one can give two ****s over who the AP25 National Champion is.

Does anyone seriously think this team would go undefeated in a big time conference?

LOL.

go undefeated in the SEC, or Big 12, then maybe i'll consider you national champs.

Yeah seriously. Don't forget those big wins at home over Utah State and Weber State!

Mountain West and 3-9 Michigan, nothing impressive about their regular season.

Yeah seriously. Don't forget those big wins at home over Utah State and Weber State!

Mountain West and 3-9 Michigan, nothing impressive about their regular season.

I'd love to see just one more big game with Utah vs. Florida. I think that might shut up the Utah bandwagoners for quite awhile.

SOS'

Utah:

Michigan 3-9

UNLV 5-7

Utah State 3-9

Air Force 8-5

Weber State 10-4

Oregon State 9-4

Wyoming 4-8

Colorado State 7-6

New Mexico 4-8

TCU 11-2

San Diego State 2-10

BYU 10-3

Alabama 12-2

Total: 88-75

Gators:

Hawaii 7-7

Miami 7-6

Tennessee 5-7

Ole Miss 9-4

Arkansas 5-7

LSU 8-5

Kentucky 7-6

Georgia 10-3

Vandy 7-6

South Carolina 7-6

Citadel 4-8

FSU 9-4

Alabama 12-2

Oklahoma 12-2

Total: 109-72

Get lost Utah... lol

Seriously though, you guys really want to play us, and get your asses kicked?

SOS'

Utah:

Michigan 3-9

UNLV 5-7

Utah State 3-9

Air Force 8-5

Weber State 10-4

Oregon State 9-4

Wyoming 4-8

Colorado State 7-6

New Mexico 4-8

TCU 11-2

San Diego State 2-10

BYU 10-3

Alabama 12-2

Gators:

Hawaii 7-7

Miami 7-6

Tennessee 5-7

Ole Miss 9-4

Arkansas 5-7

LSU 8-5

Kentucky 7-6

Georgia 10-3

Vandy 7-6

South Carolina 7-6

Citadel 4-8

FSU 9-4

Alabama 12-2

Oklahoma 12-2

Get lost Utah... lol

You play what position?

I think Utah would give Florida a very good game.

You play what position?

I think Utah would give Florida a very good game.

I am going to be going to the University of Florida very soon, so that pretty much says I am a Florida Gator, just not on the team.

By the way, Utah would be out of the game by the end of the third, if not sooner.

SOS'

Utah:

Michigan 3-9

UNLV 5-7

Utah State 3-9

Air Force 8-5

Weber State 10-4

Oregon State 9-4

Wyoming 4-8

Colorado State 7-6

New Mexico 4-8

TCU 11-2

San Diego State 2-10

BYU 10-3

Alabama 12-2

Gators:

Hawaii 7-7

Miami 7-6

Tennessee 5-7

Ole Miss 9-4

Arkansas 5-7

LSU 8-5

Kentucky 7-6

Georgia 10-3

Vandy 7-6

South Carolina 7-6

Citadel 4-8

FSU 9-4

Alabama 12-2

Oklahoma 12-2

Get lost Utah... lol

Both played about the same losses... lol... Get Lost? How about dont lose to Ole Miss and there would be no issue... Florida had their chance to win it all wihtout a doubt... they blew it...

Both played about the same losses... lol... Get Lost? How about dont lose to Ole Miss and there would be no issue... Florida had their chance to win it all wihtout a doubt... they blew it...

If Utah played an Alabama team that was motivated for the game they would have had no chance. Bottom line, Bama is still the better team. Florida, USC, Oklahoma, and Texas would have destroyed Utah.

Utah fans can complain all they want, bottom line is that the Gators are the owners of the crystal football, and Utah isn't.

If Utah wants to become a legit team, how about getting into a legit conference, and we'll watch that team go 7-6 instead of 13-0.

If Utah played an Alabama team that was motivated for the game they would have had no chance. Bottom line, Bama is still the better team. Florida, USC, Oklahoma, and Texas would have destroyed Utah.

Utah fans can complain all they want, bottom line is that the Gators are the owners of the crystal football, and Utah isn't.

If Utah wants to become a legit team, how about getting into a legit conference, and we'll watch that team go 7-6 instead of 13-0.

Utah is the best college football team in the nation, everyone thinks so except Florida fans.

Florida is simply the BCS champ... thats it... nothing more.

That is exactly why I would love to play them, and destroy them like I said we would.

They beat all 6 bowl teams they faced...

They got it done... Florida couldnt... they would have beaten Ole Miss... name one team Florida played that Utah couldnt have beaten...

Yeah, really, who the hell is Rick Reilly, or whatever the hell his name is... lol

used to write on the back of Sports illustrated

he's a funny guy, nice story teller, great writer

but sometimes says stupid things....then again all sports writers do at some point.

What sports fan does not know who Rick Reilly is?

I know who he is, but I am saying his opinions are as good as anyone else who has an opinion.

First off, the idiot poster said ESPN, as if all of ESPN thinks the same way. Why not say Rick Reilly, moron.

Anyways, hey the Pens are in a slump, I guess picking your teams through a video game isn't working right now.

I know who he is, but I am saying his opinions are as good as anyone else who has an opinion.

First off, the idiot poster said ESPN, as if all of ESPN thinks the same way. Why not say Rick Reilly, moron.

Anyways, hey the Pens are in a slump, I guess picking your teams through a video game isn't working right now.

One trick pony much?

you know what..your parents did a shiity job raising you..

the sooner you leave this site the better off we all will be.

Archived