Rice Finally Gets Hall Of Fame Nod

Lil Bit Special

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to rehash the Jim Rice HOF fiasco, but the HOF slipped to a new low with his election today...if he were such a sure fire HOF bet to get in, it would have been years ago, not the last year of eligibility.

Congrats to him, but there are bunch of guys on the bubble just like him.

I'm not going to rehash the Jim Rice HOF fiasco, but the HOF slipped to a new low with his election today...if he were such a sure fire HOF bet to get in, it would have been years ago, not the last year of eligibility.

Congrats to him, but there are bunch of guys on the bubble just like him.

Like Phil Rizzutto?

Like Phil Rizzutto?

Scotty, are you supposed to be making point by mentioning Rizzutto with me? He was voted in by the veteran's committee because his buddy Yogi was on it...he doesn't deserve it either.

I stand by my rule. If you have to think about a player being worthy of admission to the HOF, he shouldn't get in.

Jim Rice was one of the most, if not the most, dominant hitter of his time. You cannot compare guys in that era to players in todays game. It's a much different game today.

Did you ever see him play or are you just going by what you heard about him? I always considered Rice are very good player when I watched him...never a HOF type player. If he was so great he would have gone in on his first year of eligibility. When I think of all time great outfielders, I don't know of anyone that would put him on their team. Unless of course you happen to be a Red Sox fan.

Scotty, are you supposed to be making point by mentioning Rizzutto with me? He was voted in by the veteran's committee because his buddy Yogi was on it...he doesn't deserve it either.

I stand by my rule. If you have to think about a player being worthy of admission to the HOF, he shouldn't get in.

How many players actually fall into that category? Very few.

I understand your point though.

He is in todays players, Jermaine Dye

Your depth of baseball knowledge is preceded by everyone. :rolleyes:

Did you ever see him play or are you just going by what you heard about him? I always considered Rice are very good player when I watched him...never a HOF type player. If he was so great he would have gone in on his first year of eligibility. When I think of all time great outfielders, I don't know of anyone that would put him on their team. Unless of course you happen to be a Red Sox fan.

When Jim Rice retired I was 3, so suffice it to say I did not see him play. Those that played with him and against him say he should be in. I'll take their word for it.

When Jim Rice retired I was 3, so suffice it to say I did not see him play. Those that played with him and against him say he should be in. I'll take their word for it.

Yeah, but those people don't get to vote. You'd have to ask the writers why didn't they vote for him when he was first eligible. Listen, I'm not trying to piss you or anyone else off here. I can only go with players I remember playing. Tony Perez also falls into that bubble type player. I'm sure if you asked his teammates and those that played against him think he should be in as well...what else would you expect them to say?

Yeah, but those people don't get to vote. You'd have to ask the writers why didn't they vote for him when he was first eligible. Listen, I'm not trying to piss you or anyone else off here. I can only go with players I remember playing. Tony Perez also falls into that bubble type player. I'm sure if you asked his teammates and those that played against him think he should be in as well...what else would you expect them to say?

From everything I've read, Rice didn't get along with most writers.

From everything I've read, Rice didn't get along with most writers.

Neither did Ted (big time), but he's a first ballot HOF'er and deservedly so. You know, we can argue this until the cows come home and you know what, I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change my mind...he's in and that's all that counts.

But, if you ever get a chance, check out his stats away from Fenway...big difference. And don't you find it a coincidence that he's voted in the last year of eligibility? :rolleyes: Where is Tim Raines when you need him.

Neither did Ted (big time), but he's a first ballot HOF'er and deservedly so. You know, we can argue this until the cows come home and you know what, I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change my mind...he's in and that's all that counts.

But, if you ever get a chance, check out his stats away from Fenway...big difference. And don't you find it a coincidence that he's voted in the last year of eligibility? :rolleyes: Where is Tim Raines when you need him.

I don't think Rice was ever an overwhleming figure to get in. Never a head and shoulders above the rest guy, but he's in and deservedly so.

Yeah, but those people don't get to vote. You'd have to ask the writers why didn't they vote for him when he was first eligible.

The voters have changed through the years, due to retirements and new cities so the voters in his first few years are quite different than voters today. He was just lucky that some of the new voters went for him instead of who they replaced who was against him.

You're talking just a couple of voters were the difference of him getting in.

it definitely helps tell people that maybe the hall of fame should be restructured..because guys like this are not hall of famers...they may be all time greats, or maybe they have had moments or even a few seasons of greatness..

but they are not hall of famers...to me this would be like voting in David Ortiz based solely on the fact that he was a dominant hitter for a few seasons....

it shouldn't work that way..time to make some differentiating categories between a guy like Henderson and a guy like Rice...more than just the "well, he was voted in on his last year...." tag line.

Rice in the HOF a joke? You guys are fricken clueless.

6 times he was in the top 5 in MVP voting and the media fricken hated him.

He is an MVP winner.

6 times he was in the top 7 in batting average.

8 times he was among the league leaders in slugging percentage leading the league twice.

8 times he was among the league leaders in hits and led the league in that category. He topped 200 hits 4 times.

He led the league in HRs 3 times and was consistently among the league leaders.

He led the league in RBIs multiple times and was consistently among the league leaders.

He was a triple crown waiting to happen and led the league in RBIs and HRs while finishing 3rd in batting average in the same year.

He was consistently among the league leaders in total bases leading the league 4 times.

He even had reasonable speed for a slugger and had led the league with triples (15) a number he reached twice.

I watched him play in the late 70s until he retired and he was a phenomenal hitter. Compare him to his peers and not against today's bloated numbers.

While not a first ballot HOF'r in my book it is a damn shame that he had to wait 15 years to get in.

He as a nice player for too short a period of time. The Hall is for the best of the best. Sadly that isn't really what it is about. Players like Puckett, Rizzutto and Rice simply don't belong in there.

But it is what it is so Congrats to Jim on being selected to the Hall of Good.

He as a nice player for too short a period of time. The Hall is for the best of the best. Sadly that isn't really what it is about. Players like Puckett, Rizzutto and Rice simply don't belong in there.

He was among the best offensive players for 12 years... you need a 10 year career to qualify for the HOF. Rice was a phenomenal hitter for over a decade. Certainly not too short for HOF consideration.

neither does mattingly

I have no problem with this. He doesn't deserve it based on his numbers but put him in the Kirby Puckett wing and call it a day.

Who is to say who "deserves" what?

Do you "deserve" to be the owner of a web site? Of course you do. It is a rite of passage to have to corral a group of whimpering, pampered over sensitive mass group of sport know it alls.

Everyone's criteria for the Hall is different. It does not make anyone more "right". Rice was elected as part of a voting process with many differnt members belonging to it. Is there gamesmanship involved? Absolutely.

But to have to compare ballplayers of different eras and different positions is an impossible task. And to judge that process of being worthy or not is non-conclusive.

All it does is greater fodder for the sport. And for the sport, that is a good thing.

The NY indignation of a Jonejet and a Nightstalker only makes the Hall giggle and give fanny slaps

Do you "deserve" to be the owner of a web site? Of course you do. It is a rite of passage to have to corral a group of whimpering, pampered over sensitive mass group of sport know it alls.

Everyone's criteria for the Hall is different. It does not make anyone more "right". Rice was elected as part of a voting process with many differnt members belonging to it. Is there gamesmanship involved? Absolutely.

But to have to compare ballplayers of different eras and different positions is an impossible task. And to judge that process of being worthy or not is non-conclusive.

All it does is greater fodder for the sport. And for the sport, that is a good thing.

The NY indignation of a Jonejet and a Nightstalker only makes the Hall giggle and give fanny slaps

Like the criteria you mention for induction to the HOF, so is your perception of Yankees fans...hey, how are those Mets inductees doing?

Like the criteria you mention for induction to the HOF, so is your perception of Yankees fans...hey, how are those Mets inductees doing?

See, you always have to make it Yankees, and then every one else is at a differnt level.

What was teh last Yankee player to be elected, and when did he play? For a guy that honorably served, your feelings get hurt pretty easily.

See, you always have to make it Yankees, and then every one else is at a differnt level.

What was teh last Yankee player to be elected, and when did he play? For a guy that honorably served, your feelings get hurt pretty easily.

No, just don't call me out in your posts. You thought you had me yesterday with the Rizzuto name drop and when I said he didn't belong in there, you were no where to be found.

And what does serving in the military have to do with the price of beef today?

No, just don't call me out in your posts. You thought you had me yesterday with the Rizzuto name drop and when I said he didn't belong in there, you were no where to be found.

And what does serving in the military have to do with the price of beef today?

You often mention that you served, and it means A LOT in my estimation. THANK YOU!

The Rizzutto mention was to merely signify and demonstrate there are any number of players that are "borderline".

Responding to a post and commenting, I don't consider "calling out". It just appears that some Yankee fans here (some of the same ones that used to claim RedSox fans were more worried about them), have a case of Bostonitis.

How the times have changed.

neither does mattingly

Which is accurate because he isn't in the hall of fame. Even though he was my favorite player I never believed he should be in the Hall either. He was great for a short time. that isn't enough.

I get to say who belongs in the Hall Of Fame. I am the smartest one here. :-P

I will remember your who deserves what point though when you are telling me the Yankees bought the World Series championship they are about to win. lol.

Archived