Jeter's positional switch...

uart

Jeter is declining quickly on defense, but 1B is taken for the foreseeable future. I doubt Jeets would be happy as a full time DH if he could still play somewhere on the field, and his bat has a lot more life in him.

With Damon's tenure ending sooner rather than later, I think the best thing is for Jeter to move (as soon as next year) to Left Field. Before you all assume he won't make that move, please remember that Yogi Berra moved to LF near the end of his career.

You know when Jeter will change positions?

When he goes to baby Steinbrenner and says I am going to change positions this year. Not a moment sooner. You have to treat a guy that won five rings with respect. *

* Note: I am including this years championship in my calculation.

When he goes to baby Steinbrenner and says I am going to change positions this year. Not a moment sooner. You have to treat a guy that won five rings with respect. *

The Yankees are now counting "winter" championships?

The times really are a changin'

yea but if hey isnt quik enough to play short than how the hell will he play CF and i really dont think Jeter has a good enough arm for the Outfield imo

Arm isnt a problem. He's a SS with a good one. Just look at the darts he throws from cut off to home plate.....

he has a good arm for infield but if he has to go get a ball in the corner and the fire it to a cut off man i just cant see it.. plus how weird would it be to see Jeter in left and someone new at short.. yogi was a different story it is way tougher on the body at catcher than it is at short..

If Cashman and the Steinbrenners want to allow Jeet that power, then they're idiots.

Also, I'm rather sure the Yankees aren't going to win a world series this year.

Yogi was an exception. Usually, it's the outfielders making the transition to 1b after a long career.

Usually Catchers wouldn't move to the outfield after their catching career is over... but nonetheless, it is ALWAYS easier to move OUT than IN.

yea but if hey isnt quik enough to play short than how the hell will he play CF and i really dont think Jeter has a good enough arm for the Outfield imo

Its not his overall speed that is bad, its that quick reaction that has suffered lately. In the outfield he'd be able to position himself better, and (especially in CF) wouldn't need to react as quickly.

The ball takes MUCH longer to get to LF than it does to get to short.

His arm would be an upgrade over Damon in LF.

The Yankees are now counting "winter" championships?

The times really are a changin'

Look at the roster they have assembled. Not sure why they are going to even play the games this year.

How could the Yankees possibly lose? :-P

If Cashman and the Steinbrenners want to allow Jeet that power, then they're idiots.

Also, I'm rather sure the Yankees aren't going to win a world series this year.

Actually the call isn't really up to the Steinbrenner family. Jeter transcends sports so right now Bloomberg technically makes the call. It really is a New York City issue at this point. That is how important Jeter has become.

He's not going anywhere for the next 3 seasons, at least. His play at short isn't as bad as everyone is saying it is.

I agree....he isn't losing any games over at short, with the (hopefully) improved pitching, and abundance of strike out pitchers (CC, AJ, and Joba) as long as everything goes according to plan, he won't move for at least three seasons.

If at all...I think the Yankees will just accept his decline..as long as he hits...

I agree....he isn't losing any games over at short, with the (hopefully) improved pitching, and abundance of strike out pitchers (CC, AJ, and Joba) as long as everything goes according to plan, he won't move for at least three seasons.

If at all...I think the Yankees will just accept his decline..as long as he hits...

+1. Not that it should be the case, as no one player should transcend the team, but I think Jeter does at this point. They had a tough enough time cutting rope with Bernie and left him out in center for way too long.

Jeter is declining quickly on defense, but 1B is taken for the foreseeable future. I doubt Jeets would be happy as a full time DH if he could still play somewhere on the field, and his bat has a lot more life in him.

With Damon's tenure ending sooner rather than later, I think the best thing is for Jeter to move (as soon as next year) to Left Field. Before you all assume he won't make that move, please remember that Yogi Berra moved to LF near the end of his career.

:confused:

He was never that good to begin with.

Jeter sucks. Bernie Williams should have been captain, and for that I forever hold a grudge against him.

What is this "transcends the team" bull****? If that's the case why aren't we asking for Favre to come back. F that bs. I want the best players on this team- whether through FA or farm. Jeter is not going to be a good option at SS when he gets out of his contract.

And?

He deserved one of them. He has three BTW.

Jeter is not an all-time great defensive SS. He was below average to begin his career and now he is slightly above it. His range has always been below average.

3?? dear god.

you are dead on about his defense...he dug out of a DEEP hole, to become an average defender, but one who atleast gives it his all games 1-162

• 3 weeks later...

Two problems...

1) Orlando Cabrera is not really a useful hitter, his career 86 OPS+ has him as a below-average hitter. Melky Cabrera was as good of a hitter as a 21 and 22 year old as Orlando Cabrera was in his prime. With his fielding and speed on the basepaths I'll be generous and suggest Orlando's about average, but he's going to be 34 next year.

2) There's very little reason to think Jeter has the range necessary to play Centerfield, being able to track a pop-up is far different from running down a ball in the gap which requires raw speed which Jeter is clearly losing as he ages.

Jeter is at the point where he needs to be playing in one of the Corners or DH'ing in order to not be a complete liability Defensively. His strong arm probably makes him a good candidate to play Right Field, but there's the question of if he'll hit enough to justify such a position going forward. But since he's the Captain, they'll find a spot for him.

Archived