Anyone here good with cars? Brake issues...

PhinHater

I have a 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T

Got the brakes replaced 1 year ago exactly. At that time the car had 106k miles on it.

For the rear, this is what got replaced: Rear Brake Pads, Rear Rotors, Right Rear Caliper.

Now I have 126k miles on it, 18k more than last January.

Yesterday I started hearing a grinding noise out of my rear brakes. Once in a while it will not grind. Strange.

I know that 18k miles is not enough time to wear the brakes down.

I checked out the brake pads and they don't seem to be paper thin. They aren't as thick as a new one would be though.

Any thoughts on this? I am going to bring it to my mechanic tomorrow morning. Am I able to drive on it tonight and tomorrow morning?

Thanks car gurus. Help is appreciated!

yea you should be fine.. but maybe your left calibers needs replaced now since you already replaced the left... rear brakes arent that important the front ones do most the stopping..lol :P

Would that cause grinding out of the right rear?

Also, is that expensive? lol

Would that cause grinding out of the right rear?

Also, is that expensive? lol

Check if one wheel is real hot when you stop. We used to spit on 'em to check. It one side is real hot it might be hanging up and dragging. Doesn't cause grinding when you step on the pedal though. That would indicate that the caliper is working, but the pad/rotor contact isn't good.

You said you checked the pads, did you check the inside and the outside or just the easy to see outside? Sometimes they wear in an extremely uneven fashion. LilMick is 100% correct that the front does almost all the stopping. I think it's around 70%.

100% grinding.

Hey, #27...if it is the caliper, would it still grind even after I released the brakes?

Depends what it's doing. If it is locking up it will keep squeezing the rotor after you release and would continue grinding. That will wear the pads down pretty quick, so that's pretty possible it would start grinding and it will keep doing it after you let off the pedal.

Depends what it's doing. If it is locking up it will keep squeezing the rotor after you release and would continue grinding. That will wear the pads down pretty quick, so that's pretty possible it would start grinding and it will keep doing it after you let off the pedal.

Thanks..I appreciate your help.

I'll update tomorrow after I get the diagnosis.

Thanks again! Hope this doesn't cost too much money...

is your car a stick? maybe when you pull your E brake to park it is get stuck even when you release it and that is causing the grinding sound.. i drove one time for almost to mile before realizing i had the Ebrake up... didnt even realize until i smelled it burning

Good idea. Some times the E brake sticks. It would usually wear the rears out plenty quick.

OTOH, my wife has a Jetta and I think they told me the rear brakes are kind of weak/small so that they wear out just as fast as the fronts.

Thanks..I appreciate your help.

I'll update tomorrow after I get the diagnosis.

Thanks again! Hope this doesn't cost too much money...

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully it's as simple as some foreign material between the pad and the rotor. Solid advice here from everyone. Dom is right on target about uneven pad wear. I see it everyday and in some cases the difference is shocking. The pads should last more than Caliper shoulds like a solid choice especially if you had the other one replaced last year. Good luck.

Archived