Schotty to leave if Rex is hired

jetsman

anyone saw this? Bring in Rex!!! Please woody bring in REX!!!

According to NFL.com's Adam Schefter, there is "strong belief" among NFL sources that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will leave the Jets if they hire Rex Ryan as head coach.

The Jets would hire Ryan and keep Schottenheimer in a perfect world, but Marty's son obviously wants the top job. Schefter says other teams are eying the situation. Schottenheimer could emerge as a candidate in Kansas City.

Source: NFL.com

[url=http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/15/jets-must-choose-between-schottenheimer-ryan/]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad Schottenheimer cannot leave unless the Jets let him out of his contract, also he is not being considered for any other job so enlighten me as to where he is going. Shefter, I like you, but lately you've been an idiot. He cannot simply just leave.

All I want to know is what the hell happened to this guy after 2006?

I mean, that first year, he did an unbelievable job with this offense.

One good year as OC qualifies you as a HC candidate? I don't get it.

who knows..maybe he was handcuffed by the HC.....

I thought he was a bit more adventurous with his playcalling early on..but to be honest..I have nothing to back that up except for my impression from that first season he was there.

Too bad Schottenheimer cannot leave unless the Jets let him out of his contract, also he is not being considered for any other job so enlighten me as to where he is going. Shefter, I like you, but lately you've been an idiot. He cannot simply just leave.

Maybe we can get a 4th rounder out of KC once again! :corn:

well...I was wondering this before...if he were named an asst. head coach would that be a loophole to get him a OC job elsewhere without needing the Jets to release him from his contract?

I am not sure of how that works....or if he already has that title with the Jets.

who knows..maybe he was handcuffed by the HC.....

I thought he was a bit more adventurous with his playcalling early on..but to be honest..I have nothing to back that up except for my impression from that first season he was there.

Yeah, the whole 'handcuffing by the HC' is a convenient excuse for Shotty now that EM is gone....almost like saying that dismissed his own ineptitude in order to get himself a job... :hand:

I don't believe this is true.

He can be held by the Jets for a lateral move, but teams cannot block a job switch that involves a promotion. That is why some teams came up with the "assistant head coach" title.

I guess it was Mangini that kept Leon from getting the ball more or that went shotgun with an empty backfield on almost every 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. This team put up 3 points against the Seahawks in one of the biggest games of the year. They couldn't move the ball on the Raiders or 49ers. Boot his ass out the door.

What she said.

This is really getting tiring. According to these "NFL sources", he has gone from being the Jets leading candidate for HC, to the OC bride in a shotgun marriage with Ryan, to getting his bags packed if Ryan is hired. All in a couple of days.

Wake me up when it is over.

This is really getting tiring. According to these "NFL sources", he has gone from being the Jets leading candidate for HC, to the OC bride in a shotgun marriage with Ryan, to getting his bags packed if Ryan is hired. All in a couple of days.

Wake me up when it is over.

Just think, if the Ravens win on Sunday there will be 2 more weeks of this!

Huh? Shefter is the most accurate NFL reporter out there. So I don't know where you're getting he's been an idiot lately.

The ONLY job Schottenheimer can leave for is a Head Coaching job. That is the ONLY job he could leave for. Other than that, the Jets own his rights. He is under contract with the Jets.

True. It's either HC or he stays.

Or he gets fired. Can't imagine if they do hire Ryan and he doesn't want Shotty as his OC they would keep him...talk about a Chinese firedrill.:confused0085:

Yep. I don't think Schotty stays if Rex doesn't want him.

Personally, I think Rex doesn't give a damn. If the Jets FO wants Schotty to stay, so be it. He's bringing his boy Pettine to run the defense so he'll be happy.

I love how this guy has 1 good year as an OC (2006) followed up by 2 terrible ones and all of the sudden HE is calling the shots on whether or not he stays or goes? Blow me Brian. If you retain your job you should thank the lucky stars and kiss Rex Ryan's *ss till the day you both die.

The ONLY job Schottenheimer can leave for is a Head Coaching job. That is the ONLY job he could leave for. Other than that, the Jets own his rights. He is under contract with the Jets.

Even that's not completely true.

The Jets are not obligated to let him leave for a HC job. It's just something the teams do because it's the right thing to do and coordinators would be hesitant to sign long term deals, so they don't stop the guys from improving their positions. Technically, they could prevent this.

I love how this guy has 1 good year as an OC (2006) followed up by 2 terrible ones and all of the sudden HE is calling the shots on whether or not he stays or goes? Blow me Brian. If you retain your job you should thank the lucky stars and kiss Rex Ryan's *ss till the day you both die.
Vaya con Dios, Senor Schottenheimer;don't let the door hit you in your overpaid a$$.

Archived