The Case For Clemens

Maxman

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a huge Clemens supporter when he played two years ago. That team was terrible and I don't know what a QB could have done to help, it was that bad. I thought he showed a lot of potential even though the results weren't there.

Today? I am not writing him off completely. But every account I have heard or read says that he has stepped back from that point. He didn't look good in camp this year, Pennington would have beaten him out for the job. And although practices are closed, there are rumblings that he did not do well this year.

So I don't think it is the fans that aren't going to give him a chance. It could be that the Jets have seen enough. Hopefully though the new regime comes in and keeps an open mind. Having the QB of the future on the roster already is better than the alternative.

Clemens has regressed. I'm not ready to annoint Ratliff the second coming of Jesus, but let's see what the guy has in camp.

That said, QB has to be mission for Tannenbaum in the offseason. If Favre isn't coming back, we're going to at least need a veteran to throw in the mix.

having that veteran back-up is way over rated IMO....To throw a Ratliff, Ainge or Clemens off the team for say a Brad Johnson or Vinny T has proven to not be any advantage at all...for all Herm's faults, I liked what he did with that young QB this year

Clemens has regressed. I'm not ready to annoint Ratliff the second coming of Jesus, but let's see what the guy has in camp.

That said, QB has to be mission for Tannenbaum in the offseason. If Favre isn't coming back, we're going to at least need a veteran to throw in the mix.

How can you say that?

We never got a real chance to see him play in '08.

How can you say that?

We never got a real chance to see him play in '08.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't give him a chance, not at all.

Just saying if Favre bails, and you head into camp with Ratliff, Ainge and Clemens you're rolling the dice as a staff. Of course, this will be Ryan's team [hopefully], so all bets are off until we see his coaching and management style.

Also, by veteran, I meant someone that could actually come in and play, not hold a clipboard like Vinny or Brad Johnson.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't give him a chance, not at all.

Just saying if Favre bails, and you head into camp with Ratliff, Ainge and Clemens you're rolling the dice as a staff. Of course, this will be Ryan's team [hopefully], so all bets are off until we see his coaching and management style.

Also, by veteran, I meant someone that could actually come in and play, not hold a clipboard like Vinny or Brad Johnson.

Johnson started for Dallas when Romo was hurt Guns

I know.

How bout " A Veteran with some actual ability".

Just saying, if Ainge, Ratliff & Clemens are the 3 heading into camp, I'll be a bit nervous. Let's hope Ratliff will be a diamond in the rough.

how about we just consider Clemens as a veteran presence and keep Ratliff for the B/U or visa versa

People may forget quickly, and throw out stat lines now to prove Clemens "sucks" definitively, but there were definitely some things to like out of Clemens in 2007. He flashed some ability in instances like late against Baltimore and in the Redskins game. As the season went on, his supporting staff got worse. Coles was missing lots of games and even Cotchery was hurt although playing, and nobody on the team was catching a damn thing thrown to them. All this, and he still went 3-4 compared to Chad's 1-8. People want to go on about his interceptions, but he only threw one more than Chad (a guy who allegedly is so smart and accurate with his passes) did that season with the same or better supporting cast. The bigger issue was TDs thrown, but he certainly didn't have much help there.

None of this means Clemens will be any good. But I'm just not sure where people come up with the idea it guarantees he can't be. Clemens wasn't given the kind of support a young QB needs. You see the one guys like Flacco and Ryan were handled and the kind of support they had, and you realize that while you need a guy with talent, a young QB can only be as good as what he has to work with. The fact is, that the Jets have no reason to be inclined towards any one of the young guys over the other. Clemens deserves a chance, as do Ratliff and Ainge. Let the best guy play, and don't let a mix of some good and some bad with no support from 2 season ago make the decision in advance for you.

to me he should have been 5-2, if it weren't for a McCariens and Cotchery drop in Baltimore and against Washington respectively.

hopefully he's matured, because he has talent

Exactly.

Justin McCareins holds onto a couple of PERFECTLY thrown balls and we don't let up 295 rushing yards to Washington, we're talking about a 5-3 record on that team.

We do have a veteran to throw in the mix....His name is Clemens. A 3 year veteran that has started in 8 nfl regular season contests,playing competitive in everyone of them,and beating Pittsburgh. I bet MadMike1 looooved the article lol.

Exactly.

Justin McCareins holds onto a couple of PERFECTLY thrown balls and we don't let up 295 rushing yards to Washington, we're talking about a 5-3 record on that team.

If if's and but's were candies and nuts, Clemens would be a wonderful quarterback. They aren't and he isn't.

If if's and but's were candies and nuts, Clemens would be a wonderful quarterback. They aren't and he isn't.

Oh how wonderful it will be when Kellen is named the jets starter next season,and successfully proves his naysayers wrong,and everyone jumps on his bandwagon. What will be said then Mike?

Oh how wonderful it will be when Kellen is named the jets starter next season,and successfully proves his naysayers wrong,and everyone jumps on his bandwagon. What will be said then Mike?

That happens right after I win the mega millions and tell my boss to go **** himself.

Out of all the quarterbacks we have on our team including Bust Favre,Clemens is our best option with the weapons we have on our team. Just think we may ad another stud WR to the corps. Imagine if we have Coles,Cotch,Stuckey,Hakeem Nicks,Brad Smith,Marcus Henry,Clowney,Baker,Franks,and Keller for Clemens to throw to behind a good oline. We win 9 games easily.

Archived