I Want Brett Favre Back

Maxman

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is gone? Yes, he is gone if he wants to go. But if he wants to come back the job is his, that is just the way it is.

There is nothing you or Rex Ryan can do to change that.

I really hope there's something Rex Ryan can do about it. If he accepted the job knowing that it's Brett Favre's decision who the Jets' starting QB will be, then he's already been castrated.

I prefer a coach with balls.

Wait a sec, you can credit favre with the losses at the end of the season, but others can't credit him with the wins? If it isn't a one man show like you said(and I agree) than why does he get the blame for the wheels coming off at the end of the year? There were plenty of drops by wr's in those last five games, and the pass defense was a complete joke. Maybe if the defense showed up to play in those last five games our qb wouldn't have had to resort to throwing it all over the place playing catch up.

Baby Schott gets credit for the 50 points against the Cardinals. Favre gets credit for the 3 points against the Seahawks.

Where do you not see where we have 3 young qb's that can have a season like Brett did last year??? 9 ints and 5 tds in the last 5 games is Ainge stats right there. You guys just believe all the Favre hype. He is not what he once was 10 years ago just face it. He isnt even a good qb anymore. The fact he even made the probowl is absolutely ridiculous.

That is a ridiculous statement right there...

to say that a QB with either no NFL experience or one who had a lousy half a season will be better than a veteran QB who has had success is just insanity.

I am not expecting Fave from 10 yers ago...how about Favre from 2 months ago..you know..the QB who got us to 8-3.

Oh, but I guess Clemens, Ratliff, and Ainge would have done te same thing..right?

I swear I will never understand why Jet fans have such a hard on for the QB holding the clipboard.

They were all certain that Glenn Foley, Ray Lucas, and now Kellen Clemens are the answer.

These are probably the same guys who creamed in their pants for Pennington to start over Vinny, and then turned on Chad.

Three unproven QBs where only one of those QBs actually have live game experience have absolutely no quantifiable reasons for any fan to think they can take the team further along than a healthy Brett Favre.

I want Brett Favre back too, but only if his heart is in it. He's the best QB on our roster whether people want to admit it or not.

Although we have a nice core of young players on this team, we are built to win now. Favre will give us the best chance to compete for a Superbowl, and he could provide a stable transition to the Rex Ryan era.

Clemens has career backup written all over him, and Ratliff could certainly use another year to develop his game.

I highly doubt Ryan will want to go into his first year as HC without a proven veteran or a highly drafted franchise QB behind center. Favre is our best option right now.

That is a ridiculous statement right there...

to say that a QB with either no NFL experience or one who had a lousy half a season will be better than a veteran QB who has had success is just insanity.

I am not expecting Fave from 10 yers ago...how about Favre from 2 months ago..you know..the QB who got us to 8-3.

Oh, but I guess Clemens, Ratliff, and Ainge would have done te same thing..right?

I swear I will never understand why Jet fans have such a hard on for the QB holding the clipboard.

They were all certain that Glenn Foley, Ray Lucas, and now Kellen Clemens are the answer.

These are probably the same guys who creamed in their pants for Pennington to start over Vinny, and then turned on Chad.

Three unproven QBs where only one of those QBs actually have live game experience have absolutely no quantifiable reasons for any fan to think they can take the team further along than a healthy Brett Favre.

All true, but to be fair, we haven't had a big time QB for 40 years. It's hard not to complain when you move from one jag to the next

Here is my problem with Clemes, besides his on the field limitations...why hasn't any other team in dire need of a QB upgrade not show any interest in this guy?

If he is able to start in the NFL I would imagine teams like the Bills, Vikings, and Lions would be more than happy to trade for him.

I mean, come on, the Jets were able to trade Brooks Bollinger...but not a sniff for KC?

All true, but to be fair, we haven't had a big time QB for 40 years. It's hard not to complain when you move from one jag to the next

I get that...but sometimes Jet fans can't see that the grass isn't greener, and they fall in love with these no name guys from no name schools simply because they have Patriot envy.....

Do you all seriously beleive that Favre - at 40 - is going to be BETTER next season? And, some of you want to replace him with a 37 year old Kurt Warner? Not a bad idea if you had the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald on your squad - but you don't. Plus, have you SEEN Kurt play in the cold and the elements? It 'aint pretty.

Do you all seriously beleive that Favre - at 40 - is going to be BETTER next season? And, some of you want to replace him with a 37 year old Kurt Warner? Not a bad idea if you had the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald on your squad - but you don't. Plus, have you SEEN Kurt play in the cold and the elements? It 'aint pretty.

in a perfect world of course you don't...but given the options at QB that the Jetgs have...right now..Favre is the best choice...anyone else, free agent or roster QB are second place.

that is just a cold and cruel fact.

Do you all seriously beleive that Favre - at 40 - is going to be BETTER next season?

Yes, I believe that is a definite possibility.

Favre will have a full offseason of conditioning. Last year he was retired for several months and practiced with high schoolers during the summer months. Off season conditioning is key, and I believe it was a big part of his break down at the end of last season.

Favre will have a full offseason to learn the entire playbook and get on the same page with his receivers. It appears that we are keeping Schotty, and continuity will play a big part here.

Favre's arm looked good in terms of zip last season and he was playing through injury. I think he will be fine if healthy even at 1 year older.

After the 2006 season, people were questioning Favre and saying he was done. Then, at 38, he went on to have an MVP calibur season.

Yes, I believe that is a definite possibility.

Favre will have a full offseason of conditioning. Last year he was retired for several months and practiced with high schoolers during the summer months. Off season conditioning is key, and I believe it was a big part of his break down at the end of last season.

Favre will have a full offseason to learn the entire playbook and get on the same page with his receivers. It appears that we are keeping Schotty, and continuity will play a big part here.

Favre's arm looked good in terms of zip last season and he was playing through injury. I think he will be fine if healthy even at 1 year older.

After the 2006 season, people were questioning Favre and saying he was done. Then, at 38, he went on to have an MVP calibur season.

people can only think about two things...the last five games and Favre's age.

They will not be able to look past that and think about the Jets QB situation logically.

This isn't Steve DeBerg at 42 we are talking about here..and we aren't looking for a five year commitment...when trading for Favre...getting two seasons out of him should have been considered a key factor.

The whole logic of this statement sucks. This is not the late 90s packers. This is a TEAM. One player is not the best hope. The best hope is to play better on both sides of the ball and not turn the ball over.

I meant that Favre is the best hope for a QB next year.

something tells me our new HC, who grew up with a dad like this;

5. Buddy Ryan slugs Kevin Gilbride

Jan. 2. 1994. There'd been a long feud simmering between Oilers defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. For example, Ryan repeatedly derided Gilbride's "run-and-shoot" offense, calling it "chuck-and-duck." The two hadn't spoken to each other for a long time; and finally, the bad feelings boiled over into violence.

The Oilers, on an 11-game winning streak and headed for the playoffs, faced the Jets. They'd eventually win, 24-0; but what got things going was a play just before halftime when the Jets sacked Houston QB Cody Carlson, who fumbled. Ryan, angry at the play-call, punched Gilbride in the jaw.

Ryan explained himself later: "It's a difference in coaching philosophy in the heat of the battle."

Broncos coach Wade Phillips, who had worked for Ryan in Philadelphia, saw the punch on TV and said it didn't surprise him. "He has slugged people on the sideline before,'' Phillips said . "Assistant coaches who were next to him got it. I was always up in the press box with the headset on, so I didn't."

Said Gilbride the next day, "It's a daily, ongoing thing. The comments, the sarcasm, the denigrating and disparaging remarks toward the offense. We try to just survive it. That's what we're going to do. My best way of handling it is to try to stay far away from the guy and try not to respond to his incessant remarks and just stay focused on who I thought the opponent was -- the teams we play week to week."

wants nothing to do with favre

and I hope he gets his way

There is no way that he's back if Rex doesn't want him back.

I think you actually believe that. But the owner is on record as saying that the Jets want Favre back. So this was already either covered in private with Rex or Rex could someday be embarassed if he takes a hard line stance and Brett wants to come back.

Either way -- this is all up to Brett.

something tells me our new HC, who grew up with a dad like this;

5. Buddy Ryan slugs Kevin Gilbride

Jan. 2. 1994. There'd been a long feud simmering between Oilers defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. For example, Ryan repeatedly derided Gilbride's "run-and-shoot" offense, calling it "chuck-and-duck." The two hadn't spoken to each other for a long time; and finally, the bad feelings boiled over into violence.

The Oilers, on an 11-game winning streak and headed for the playoffs, faced the Jets. They'd eventually win, 24-0; but what got things going was a play just before halftime when the Jets sacked Houston QB Cody Carlson, who fumbled. Ryan, angry at the play-call, punched Gilbride in the jaw.

Ryan explained himself later: "It's a difference in coaching philosophy in the heat of the battle."

Broncos coach Wade Phillips, who had worked for Ryan in Philadelphia, saw the punch on TV and said it didn't surprise him. "He has slugged people on the sideline before,'' Phillips said . "Assistant coaches who were next to him got it. I was always up in the press box with the headset on, so I didn't."

Said Gilbride the next day, "It's a daily, ongoing thing. The comments, the sarcasm, the denigrating and disparaging remarks toward the offense. We try to just survive it. That's what we're going to do. My best way of handling it is to try to stay far away from the guy and try not to respond to his incessant remarks and just stay focused on who I thought the opponent was -- the teams we play week to week."

wants nothing to do with favre

and I hope he gets his way

Deep down he probably doesn't want Favre. But for 3 million dollars a year we can overlook things. Happens all the time.

I think you actually believe that. But the owner is on record as saying that the Jets want Favre back. So this was already either covered in private with Rex or Rex could someday be embarassed if he takes a hard line stance and Brett wants to come back.

Either way -- this is all up to Brett.

If that is true then the Jet are clearly the laughingstock of the NFL and a franchise that will never win anything. However you have no idea if it's true or not.

Deep down he probably doesn't want Favre. But for 3 million dollars a year we can overlook things. Happens all the time.

also, the idea that, even if he gets Favre, he will outlast him.

Ryan would only have to "suffer" Favre for his first year anyway.

people can only think about two things...the last five games and Favre's age.

They will not be able to look past that and think about the Jets QB situation logically.

This isn't Steve DeBerg at 42 we are talking about here..and we aren't looking for a five year commitment...when trading for Favre...getting two seasons out of him should have been considered a key factor.

At one point this season, we were 8-3 and looked like one of the best teams in the league. We were fresh off two road victories against very tough AFC teams, and Favre was playing well. We lead the league in time consuming drives, Favre had a very nice completion percentage, and he was developing a go to target in Keller. Everything fell apart in the last 5 games, but clearly the man still has IT whether people want to admit it or not.

With a full offseason of conditioning and a healed biceps tendon, Favre has the potential to gain some of his touch back on the long ball. It was there in his last year in GB and it was there in the first game of the season. I find it hard to believe that his arm simply gave out especially when you consider he still had plenty of zip on his passes all season long.

With a full offseason of learning the playbook and practicing with his recievers, Favre can develop some chemistry which was sorely missing this past season. I would love to see him develop more of a connection with Keller, the flashes were certainly there.

His immobility is troubling, but I can deal with it. I am going to predict that our OL will be even better next after a full season of playing together. If we give Favre time in the pocket, I feel confident that he will be able to deliver, and he will be much more reminiscent of the 8-3 Favre than the 1-4 Favre.

I also wanted to add that our Favre led offense was close to leading the league in scoring for a large chunk of the season.

When was the last time a Jets QB did that?

Agreed...Favre was much better than people want to believe....he had a stretch there, whether hurt or not, which crippled his standing with the fan base...but I choose to believe that Favre is not the last five games.

Favre is the best option for the Jets. Anyone who doesn't agree with that is fooling themselves.

Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge are just guys trying out...this team is not built for a QB to learn on the job....

If Favre does not return...the Jets will have a very bad year...if he does return..they have a chance to win some games and get in the playoffs.

Favre makes it so that Ryan just has to worry about the defense and let his OC handle Favre and the offense. With one of the kids he will be forced to concentrate on a QB battle and evaluting and coaching an inexperienced QB.

I would rather take one more shot with Favre..and let the kids fight it out for number 2.

I would just add to that, if one of those kids trying for #2 does it in a shining fashion( most likely Ratliff) then Favre has a short leash, he turns into an INT machine and you bench his a$$. But I'm for Favre and a full offseason, no missing camps, fully onboard. He succked with the "bad shoulder" for 5 games, but played great the first 11 and the sixteen before that had a phenomenal year, with mediocre talent, as usual.

We should get a deep threat.

I would just add to that, if one of those kids trying for #2 does it in a shining fashion( most likely Ratliff) then Favre has a short leash, he turns into an INT machine and you bench his a$$. But I'm for Favre and a full offseason, no missing camps, fully onboard. He succked with the "bad shoulder" for 5 games, but played great the first 11 and the sixteen before that had a phenomenal year, with mediocre talent, as usual.

We should get a deep threat.

I agree, if one of the other QBs have a phenomenal camp and pre-season, then indeed, he should be on a short lash.

But you don't expect tht to happen and cut ties with Favre before training camp starts, which is what many Jet fans want to do.

also, the idea that, even if he gets Favre, he will outlast him.

Ryan would only have to "suffer" Favre for his first year anyway.

That would be the silver lining in any situation where management forced a starting QB on the head coach, especially an untamed turnover machine like Favre. At the end of the season, he gets to say, "We tried it your way, now we're gonna do it my way."

Schottenjunior will be gone, too.

Hopefully the defense spends the year on the upswing.

If that is true then the Jet are clearly the laughingstock of the NFL and a franchise that will never win anything. However you have no idea if it's true or not.

The owner said Favre is welcome back here. He said the Jets want him back. He has PSLs to sell.

But yes I have no idea.

I also wanted to add that our Favre led offense was close to leading the league in scoring for a large chunk of the season.

When was the last time a Jets QB did that?

It was not a "Jets QB" that did that, it was a Jets TEAM.

A vastly improved o-line.

Greater opportunities for Thomas Jones.

Long run s by Leon Washington.

Special team scores by Leon Washington.

Defensive scoeres (a record) by a Jet defense.

Di9d Brett Favre contribute? Sure. But he also is a poor fit here.

But don't look at "points scored" and credit a QB alone. That was not half the story.

It was not a "Jets QB" that did that, it was a Jets TEAM.

A vastly improved o-line.

Greater opportunities for Thomas Jones.

Long run s by Leon Washington.

Special team scores by Leon Washington.

Defensive scoeres (a record) by a Jet defense.

Di9d Brett Favre contribute? Sure. But he also is a poor fit here.

But don't look at "points scored" and credit a QB alone. That was not half the story.

I know what you are saying. But Favre was a VERY big part of that equation.

Worlds collide when Madmike and I agree, but they have just collided.

It feels a little dirty.

But you guys seem surprised that this is the case. Woody wants Brett back. He has to sell PSLs and luxury boxes. If you say that the #1 goal here is winning the Super Bowl I fear you missed something.

I wish it wasn't that way but clearly it is.

But you guys seem surprised that this is the case. Woody wants Brett back. He has to sell PSLs and luxury boxes. If you say that the #1 goal here is winning the Super Bowl I fear you missed something.

Call me naive, but if that turns out to be the case(and I broached this in August) and Brett is back, football will be almost dead to me.

I just spent this last year staying away from the Jets more so than any other season, and this would be another nail in that coffin.

Of course teh opwner is PUBLICLY going to say that he wants him back-It is correct thing to do.

Actions will speak louder here.

winning the Super Bowl and running a franchise are almost two separate entities entirely.

I think the fact that Favre's jersey was the number one selling football jersey this year speaks volumes for Woody and his bean counters.

Archived