Ken Rosenthal: Don't be foolish, the Yankees aren't done yet

Morrissey

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9112648/

Don't be foolish, the Yankees aren't done yet

by Ken Rosenthal

Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since Aug. 2005. He appears weekly on the FSN Baseball Report and MLB on FOX.

Updated: January 21, 2009, 12:37 PM EST 340 comments

The Yankees aren't done. And if the prices are right, they should give strong consideration to signing free-agent right-hander Ben Sheets as their fifth starter and righty Juan Cruz as a setup reliever.

The extent of the Yankees' interest in Sheets and Cruz is not known, but even after adding CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and re-signing Damaso Marte, the team continues to explore the markets for both starters and relievers.

Both Sheets and Cruz are Type A free agents who were offered salary arbitration, but they would cost the Yankees only fourth- and fifth-round draft picks. The Yankees already have signed three higher-ranking free agents

I'd love to get Sheets in here. I'm aware he has injury problems but I think his stuff is NASTY and we can get some important wins out of him. Maybe alternate him with one of the young guys, keep both pitch counts down. JMO.

If it's true we can get him on a 1 year basis for the price rang Rosenthal listed, than I jump at that.

Sabathia

Sheets

Wang

Burnett

Chamberlain

The upside of that rotation is HUGE. Thats five #1 pitchers.

If it's true we can get him on a 1 year basis for the price rang Rosenthal listed, than I jump at that.

Sabathia

Sheets

Wang

Burnett

Chamberlain

The backlash over at JI from the Mets fans would be huge for that comment.

Sabathia

Sheets

Wang

Burnett

Chamberlain

Exactly. Joba would be our "weakest" pitcher. Still I'd throw Hughes at the bottom and move Joba to the pen and get one more guy for the pen for the simple reason that with Sheets and AJ you have injury history and you want to keep CC's innings down this year as well, you go ahead and take care of them by bolstering a bullpen that won't cough up 2 run leads often. JMO.

Exactly. Joba would be our "weakest" pitcher. Still I'd throw Hughes at the bottom and move Joba to the pen and get one more guy for the pen for the simple reason that with Sheets and AJ you have injury history and you want to keep CC's innings down this year as well, you go ahead and take care of them by bolstering a bullpen that won't cough up 2 run leads often. JMO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:blowup:

Yeah, start Chamberlain all year, get him above 200 innings + playoffs and then he can be the next Mark Prior. Maybe the Pirates can give him a shot in 5 years or so after he's done rehabbing. Could be sweet.

Joba has innings limit, probably around 150. Maybe the Giants should put Lincecum in the bullpen, so he doesn't end up being the next Mark Prior.

Joba has innings limit, probably around 150. Maybe the Giants should put Lincecum in the bullpen, so he doesn't end up being the next Mark Prior.

Did Lincecum have injury concerns when he was drafted?

Quite frankly when it boils down to it I trust Girardi in doing the right thing. I think either way it's a win for us. I don't get the hate for either decision. We either have a kid who can win us a bunch of games in the 5 spot or be part of the best, THE BEST 1-2 punch in baseball.

Sabathia

Sheets

Wang

Burnett

Chamberlain

Sheets and Burnett have never been healthy enough to ever be considered a #1. Good stuff, but really neither has had a year that makes you go wow. Wang is a solid pitcher... in the regular season. CC is a bona fide #1. I'll give you that. Joba has good stuff. Can he stay healthy? Is he even a starter?

Overall, a pretty outlandish comment made.

Sheets and Burnett have never been healthy enough to ever be considered a #1. Good stuff, but really neither has had a year that makes you go wow. Wang is a solid pitcher... in the regular season. CC is a bona fide #1. I'll give you that. Joba has good stuff. Can he stay healthy? Is he even a starter?

Notice I said upside. Every starter would have the potential to be a #1. They all have #1 stuff.

A little late for it if they do. I won't be surprised if he missed some time this year. Course I'm sure that medical technology has improved in the last 5 years to where Prior might have been able to at least come back and be a productive pitcher.

A little late for it if they do. I won't be surprised if he missed some time this year. Course I'm sure that medical technology has improved in the last 5 years to where Prior might have been able to at least come back and be a productive pitcher.

It has nothing to do with medical technology, it's about being a smart organization. It's about not making a 22-23 year old throw 212 innings after only throwing 116 innings the season before, that's what the Cubs did with Prior. I've heard Brian Cashman talk on this subject many times, and he has said he only wants his pitchers to increase 40 innings or so year by year during there development process.

So all young pitchers hurt their arms? I don't get this whole walking on egg shells thing. There is no guarantee he hurts his arm if he pitches a full year. You could also always skip on if his starts every once in a while for hughes. ****ing put Hughes in the pen.

LOL...get used to those from Tyler when it comes to the Yankees.

If your pitcher throws 30+ more innings then the year before, chances are the next year he'll break down. There's a good read in Sporting News' Fantasy Baseball issue about this. Facts and stuff to back it up. Guess whose number one on there list to break down this year, John Lester.

While I don't wish injury on anyone, arm troubles for him could hurt the Sox a lot this year. He's pitched a crazy amount of innings in 08 then he did in 07. I wanna say like 79 more. Too lazy to get the magazine right now.

If your pitcher throws 30+ more innings then the year before, chances are the next year he'll break down. There's a good read in Sporting News' Fantasy Baseball issue about this. Facts and stuff to back it up. Guess whose number one on there list to break down this year, John Lester.

While I don't wish injury on anyone, arm troubles for him could hurt the Sox a lot this year. He's pitched a crazy amount of innings in 08 then he did in 07. I wanna say like 79 more. Too lazy to get the magazine right now.

So what, rookie pitchers can't pitch now?

Archived