Weight Lifters/ Work out freaks

Vicious89x

All right. I've dropped about 35 lbs in 4 months, just been doing my own thing. Eating well, working out, etc. So I've kinda hit a wall, I have the bulk I want but I'm not shredded, still have a spare tire and am getting frustrated. I have about 40 min to work out a day, due to having a kid and needing to pick him up. Anyways, I've stumbled across this book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." Seems pretty good and seems legit. I was wondering if anyone has read it, or knows of someone who has used it with success. Is it a type of workout program I can apply with such a limited time to workout?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to get ripped you have to lose bodyfat....it's really pretty simple.

Yea, I understand that. I'm consuming roughly 1400 calories a day and burn 1500 calories in cardio workouts a day. I usually eat:

Oatmeal (non-flavored) with raisins in the morning

Turkey Sandwich on whole wheat with Lettuce and tomato

Dinner

I eat some snacks here and there, and I consume about 120-150 ounces of water a day. I just feel like I'm not burning any more fat. I try to be really conscious of what I'm doing but it seems like I've hit a wall.

Yea, I understand that. I'm consuming roughly 1400 calories a day and burn 1500 calories in cardio workouts a day. I usually eat:

Oatmeal (non-flavored) with raisins in the morning

Turkey Sandwich on whole wheat with Lettuce and tomato

Dinner

I eat some snacks here and there, and I consume about 120-150 ounces of water a day. I just feel like I'm not burning any more fat. I try to be really conscious of what I'm doing but it seems like I've hit a wall.

You taking any supplements?

And its harder for some people to become cut.

You taking any supplements?

And its harder for some people to become cut.

Nah, just laid off the supplements, never knows what does and what doesn't work. I think I"m in the "harder" category. I do 30 min of cardio on a spin bike 3 times a week and destroy myself on it and I can't lose ****. Frustrating as hell.

Nah, just laid off the supplements, never knows what does and what doesn't work. I think I"m in the "harder" category. I do 30 min of cardio on a spin bike 3 times a week and destroy myself on it and I can't lose ****. Frustrating as hell.

Yeah I don't much about being cut, I'll admit that haha. I've lost large amounts of wieght a few times, but never had that greak god look. And always found a way to put it back on, college doesn't help.

Yeah I don't much about being cut, I'll admit that haha. I've lost large amounts of wieght a few times, but never had that greak god look. And always found a way to put it back on, college doesn't help.

Beer + Late night food = Weight back on. Good times that I miss.

All right. I've dropped about 35 lbs in 4 months, just been doing my own thing. Eating well, working out, etc. So I've kinda hit a wall, I have the bulk I want but I'm not shredded, still have a spare tire and am getting frustrated. I have about 40 min to work out a day, due to having a kid and needing to pick him up. Anyways, I've stumbled across this book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." Seems pretty good and seems legit. I was wondering if anyone has read it, or knows of someone who has used it with success. Is it a type of workout program I can apply with such a limited time to workout?

it seems like you are at the plateau stage of getting in shape.. you have to increase your work out now that youe have been doing so good.. you have to constantly push yourself harder and harder... maybe you should look into that P90X work out those people seem to get super ripped

I hear you. I've been eating 1700 calories a day and at the gym 4-5days a week since Oct1 (3.5 months) and only have about 12lbs lost to show for it. Turns out after about age 30 your metabolism takes a crap and you don't notice it until you try to lose weight.

So I paid a trainer for advice. Here's what's helped me pick up speed (5lbs) in the last 2 weeks:

NO Saving calories for a big dinner: (this was my BIG problem)

NO MORE than 400 calories per meal! Dont "save calories" for a fun dinner. This will kill everything. My Trainer tells me this is how Sumo Wrestlers GAIN weight....they skip breakfast/lunch and eat a huge dinner.

Eat 4 or 5 small 400 calorie meals a day.
Any meal's calories beyond 400 go to your butt

You can still take in 2000 calories a day, but have more meals, and nothing after 7pm.,

LOTS OF PROTEIN:

I'm supposed to do a scoop of protein with every of my 400 calorie meals. If I don't,
the weight I'm losing will be muscle and I'll still have a gut

DO cardio: Daily, 30min. The 400 calories you burn will help offset those calories that sneak in under the radar.

NO constant-speed cardio:

Cardio should include interval or Fast/Slow...Sprints type stuff. I do an elliptical for 30min and will Sprint on the odd minutes (1,3,5,7 etc) then Coast or go slow for the even minutes (2,4,6,8 etc).

I can't say this news is gospel, but It's helped me.

I hear you. I've been eating 1700 calories a day and at the gym 4-5days a week since Oct1 (3.5 months) and only have about 12lbs lost to show for it. Turns out after about age 30 your metabolism takes a crap and you don't notice it until you try to lose weight.

So I paid a trainer for advice. Here's what's helped me pick up speed (5lbs) in the last 2 weeks:

NO MORE than 400 calories per meal! Dont "save calories" for a fun dinner. This will kill everything. My Trainer tells me this is how Sumo Wrestlers GAIN weight....they skip breakfast/lunch and eat a huge dinner.

You can still take in 2000 calories a day, but have more meals, and nothing after 7pm.,

LOTS OF PROTEIN:

I'm supposed to do a scoop of protein with every of my 400 calorie meals. If I don't,

DO cardio: Daily, 30min. The 400 calories you burn will help offset those calories that sneak in.

Cardio should include interval or Fast/Slow...Sprints type stuff. I do an elliptical for 30min and will Sprint on the odd minutes (1,3,5,7 etc) then Coast or go slow for the even minutes (2,4,6,8 etc).

Yeah nothing after 7pm is a big one...

Its kinda cheating but Ripped Fuel or something along those lines, help you lose the fat and give you ALOT more energy.

Be very careful with that stuff, a friend of mine had to be rushed to the hospital due to heart rate, or something like that. It does give you alot of energy, but it isn't for everyone.

Be very careful with that stuff, a friend of mine had to be rushed to the hospital due to heart rate, or something like that. It does give you alot of energy, but it isn't for everyone.

Yeah, its kinda scary at first. You need to drink a ton of water, and use the energy its giving you. I've only used it before heading to the gym.

LOTS OF PROTEIN:

DO cardio: Daily, 30min. The 400 calories you burn will help offset those calories that sneak in under the radar.

Awesome, I'm going to try the "adding protein" to my diet, I can see that being an issue, I lift two days, do cardio 3. I can't stand cardio so upping it to 5 will make me go crazy. Thanks for the information though :)

Yeah, its kinda scary at first. You need to drink a ton of water, and use the energy its giving you. I've only used it before heading to the gym.

I hear ya, we used it before going to the gym and playing sports. We called it "crackfuel" LOL

LOTS OF PROTEIN:

so your saying if i wanna GAIN weight i should just workout normally but only eat big meals for dinner and snacks for breakfast/lunch?

so your saying if i wanna GAIN weight i should just workout normally but only eat big meals for dinner and snacks for breakfast/lunch?

If you eat 1 or two huge meals a day the body begins to store more of the food. And by doing so you gain more weight.

Small meals shrink your stomach and your appetite.

If you eat 1 or two huge meals a day the body begins to store more of the food. And by doing so you gain more weight.

Small meals shrink your stomach and your appetite.

ok then im gonna stick to doing that i usually eat two big meals a day and i always have dinner after nine most nights.. pretty soon 22inch pythons..lol :P

Disclaimer: Just repeating what my Trainer/Nutritionist told me.

Only eating a huge dinner will make you gain fat.

Skipping breakfast/lunch while weight training will make you lose muscle. Weights destroy muscle. You only grow muscle if you feed it LOTS of protein throughout the day and rest that muscle group for 4+ days between workouts.

To gain MUSCLE, I'm supposed to take in 37grams of protein 4x day. But to avoid getting fat, I gotta get those 37grams in a package less than 400 calories.

-- this is the balancing act I have to go by.

Tons of protein and 6-8 small meals a day... eating only 3 times a day will not speed up your metabolism and you will not burn fat...

Try out Muscle Milk as a supplement... I have used it and LOVE it... helps me burn the Belly fat and also is pretty good at toning you up... take it 30 min before you work out and have a shake before bed... Cytosport makes it... look at up or check it out at GNC...

I use it... it works I promise...

it seems like you are at the plateau stage of getting in shape.. you have to increase your work out now that youe have been doing so good.. you have to constantly push yourself harder and harder... maybe you should look into that P90X work out those people seem to get super ripped

You got the bulk he wanted... he is not at a plateau effect... he is really just perfectly maintaining where he is at... not a bad thing but he first needs to burn more fat... P90X is a scam... if he wants to do more scattered training he can do so without the expense of P90x... lol

IN short... increase your metabolism and also make sure your body is in the proper state when working out and sleeping... eating mroe small meals will increase the metabolism and the Muscle Milk will take care of the rest.

Skipping breakfast/lunch while weight training will make you lose muscle. Weights destroy muscle. You only grow muscle if you feed it LOTS of protein throughout the day and rest that muscle group for 4+ days between workouts.

To gain MUSCLE, I'm supposed to take in 37grams of protein 4x day. But to avoid getting fat, I gotta get those 37grams in a package less than 400 calories.

4+ days is a bit overkill... that would be working out once a week... sure you can do legs and uppbody seprate... so thats 2 days a week... otherwise you will cross over muscle groups even if you think your not...

Its mroe important to have a light week during your cycle to heal... keep the routine just drop everything to easier weights for a week every month...

You can easily workout 4-5 days a weeks this way and gain muscle... I do... and Im getting about 75 grams of protein or so and not really a strict diet...

oo ok im looking to gain more muscle in my legs and a little on my back and i will be pretty even as far as muscle goes.. but i dont know if i could wait 4+ days to workout again i usually alternate upper body, legs and then back and shoulders then repeat again.. and i try to workout every other day.. giving my muscles 1 day to recover..

anyone every drank that stuff that Brady Quinn endorses.. i wanna try it to see if it does what he says it does.. i used to drink this **** in high school that my weight lifting coach would give us.. it came in blue or purple bottle and tasted like **** but it really helped with the recovery process

oo ok im looking to gain more muscle in my legs and a little on my back and i will be pretty even as far as muscle goes.. but i dont know if i could wait 4+ days to workout again i usually alternate upper body, legs and then back and shoulders then repeat again.. and i try to workout every other day.. giving my muscles 1 day to recover..

anyone every drank that stuff that Brady Quinn endorses.. i wanna try it to see if it does what he says it does.. i used to drink this **** in high school that my weight lifting coach would give us.. it came in blue or purple bottle and tasted like **** but it really helped with the recovery process

http://cytosport.com/

Adrien Peterson endorses these guys... so do a few other pros...

Here is their recommendation for building mass...

http://www.cytosport.com/Obsession.aspx?ObsessionID=3

I use a similar bunch... I skip the gainer though... I dont need it... I use Fast Twitch and Muscle milk... Fast Twitch right before and during... Muscle Milk right after and if I have the stomach for it before bed...

Tons of protein and 6-8 small meals a day... eating only 3 times a day will not speed up your metabolism and you will not burn fat...

Try out Muscle Milk as a supplement... I have used it and LOVE it... helps me burn the Belly fat and also is pretty good at toning you up... take it 30 min before you work out and have a shake before bed... Cytosport makes it... look at up or check it out at GNC...

I use it... it works I promise...

You got the bulk he wanted... he is not at a plateau effect... he is really just perfectly maintaining where he is at... not a bad thing but he first needs to burn more fat... P90X is a scam... if he wants to do more scattered training he can do so without the expense of P90x... lol

IN short... increase your metabolism and also make sure your body is in the proper state when working out and sleeping... eating mroe small meals will increase the metabolism and the Muscle Milk will take care of the rest.

Good stuff ECURB. I'm thinking I'll do some research on upping protein with smaller meals. I've tried the "grazing" method before when in college and all it did was make me ridiculously hungry ALL DAY LONG. Just feels like my body is clinging onto the fat in my stomach at all costs. I kick my ass on the bike, stay away from the delicious fatty stuff. Anyways, the more I think about it I have very little protein in my diet.

Good stuff ECURB. I'm thinking I'll do some research on upping protein with smaller meals. I've tried the "grazing" method before when in college and all it did was make me ridiculously hungry ALL DAY LONG. Just feels like my body is clinging onto the fat in my stomach at all costs. I kick my ass on the bike, stay away from the delicious fatty stuff. Anyways, the more I think about it I have very little protein in my diet.

Stay away from bad fats especially... drinks like muscle milk actually have fat in them... but not "bad fat" if you will... lol

Small meals... high in protein... low in fat... no need to kill yourself... if you want something good and fatty just keep it small so you can burn it... muscle milk supposedly tricks the body into staying in that fast pace fat burning state... I love it...

Right now I am 5'11" 196lbs... down only 15lbs from where i started but with a TON less fat and a bunch more muscle... my arms/shoulders/chest/legs all seem to have grown at least 30% in the last 2-3 months...

If I had any money, I would definitely invest in Starcaps. The stuff the NFL dudes got busted for. Its like 75 for a bottle of it. But if there doctors are recommending it, its gotta be legit.

Most of the stores stopped selling ti around here after that...

http://cytosport.com/

Adrien Peterson endorses these guys... so do a few other pros...

Here is their recommendation for building mass...

http://www.cytosport.com/Obsession.aspx?ObsessionID=3

I use a similar bunch... I skip the gainer though... I dont need it... I use Fast Twitch and Muscle milk... Fast Twitch right before and during... Muscle Milk right after and if I have the stomach for it before bed...

yea i have muscle milk before but never really stayed with it.. is it good to drink that stuff for breakfast or is it better at night??

yea i have muscle milk before but never really stayed with it.. is it good to drink that stuff for breakfast or is it better at night??

It is good right after a workout or before bed... they say it keeps your body in the proper state to build muscle and burn fat longer... tricks it basically... and has everything it needs to last in that stage in it...

Archived