Weight Lifters/ Work out freaks

Vicious89x

It is good right after a workout or before bed... they say it keeps your body in the proper state to build muscle and burn fat longer... tricks it basically... and has everything it needs to last in that stage in it...

yea i think im going to get back on the Muscle Milk.. because im built pretty good now but im tryin to look like dustin keller in Bronzey sig..lol

So do you add any Protein to your meals so you have high levels of it ECURB? Or do you just depend on the Muscle Milk for your protein? See that's my issue, I lost lots of weight but now that I'm in relatively good shape my spare tire stubbornly wont' go away.

I Dont add just use...

This before and during... (Fast Twitch)

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=4

This right after... and also again if I didnt feel like I ate right... this before bed... (Muscle Milk)

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=1

I drink about 80oz+ of water on days I workout... about half that on days I dont... and I eat lots of chicken cooked healthy ways without the fat...

All right. I've dropped about 35 lbs in 4 months, just been doing my own thing. Eating well, working out, etc. So I've kinda hit a wall, I have the bulk I want but I'm not shredded, still have a spare tire and am getting frustrated. I have about 40 min to work out a day, due to having a kid and needing to pick him up. Anyways, I've stumbled across this book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." Seems pretty good and seems legit. I was wondering if anyone has read it, or knows of someone who has used it with success. Is it a type of workout program I can apply with such a limited time to workout?

when you workout increase the reps....dont do any excerise under 12 reps per set. people who want to look more cut do more reps as opposed to people who want to bulk do fewer reps and more weight. for example...1 set 15 reps, 2nd set 12 reps, 3rd set 12 reps. if you have only 40 minutes to work out a day, i would just devote one whole day of the 40 minutes to do cardio on its own. cardio and diet is key when your trying to look "cut". you need to shred the fat to get the lean look. as me if you have any more questions.

I Dont add just use...

This before and during... (Fast Twitch)

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=4

This right after... and also again if I didnt feel like I ate right... this before bed... (Muscle Milk)

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=1

I drink about 80oz+ of water on days I workout... about half that on days I dont... and I eat lots of chicken cooked healthy ways without the fat...

Interesting, I might be overdoing it with the water lol. Anyways, thanks for the info, I'm gonna do some more research on it. Just needed some fresh ideas, I feel stagnant :(

when you workout increase the reps....dont do any excerise under 12 reps per set. people who want to look more cut do more reps as opposed to people who want to bulk do fewer reps and more weight. for example...1 set 15 reps, 2nd set 12 reps, 3rd set 12 reps. if you have only 40 minutes to work out a day, i would just devote one whole day of the 40 minutes to do cardio on its own. cardio and diet is key when your trying to look "cut". you need to shred the fat to get the lean look. as me if you have any more questions.

Cool, cool. I usually go 15, 12, 10 and on my second set I jump 10lbs and 3rd set I jump 5 lbs. I feel good when it comes to "size". Yea... 40 minutes of cardio is something I've been putting off but seems like I dont' have a choice with the wall I've hit... blegh.

12 reps should be the max... tone up exercising will not cut you better than building muscle... higher weight less reps more sets will get you cut...

For example...

Instead 3 or 4 sets of 12 or 15 reps of curls at 30lbs...

do...

6 or 8 reps of 5 sets at 40lbs... you will see your arm get more cut in a week... I just jumped from 30lb curls to 40lb curls and from 3 sets of 12 to 4 sets of 8 at the higher weight and my arms got more cut just this week,....

Interesting, I might be overdoing it with the water lol. Anyways, thanks for the info, I'm gonna do some more research on it. Just needed some fresh ideas, I feel stagnant :(

I do the same thing about twice a year... Ill switch workouts, supplements and everything... I always wind up back with Cytosport and the same workout though... lol

Cool, cool. I usually go 15, 12, 10 and on my second set I jump 10lbs and 3rd set I jump 5 lbs. I feel good when it comes to "size". Yea... 40 minutes of cardio is something I've been putting off but seems like I dont' have a choice with the wall I've hit... blegh.

Make sure you aren't spending too much time in between sets. If you're trying to cut I'd rest a minute max. Especially if you're limited in time.

Make sure you aren't spending too much time in between sets. If you're trying to cut I'd rest a minute max. Especially if you're limited in time.

Good advice... fast pace is the way to go... helps keep your heart rate up too and burn more fat...

Good advice... fast pace is the way to go... helps keep your heart rate up too and burn more fat...

That's pretty much what I do although it's more like 2 min, I'll give it a shot at cutting it down to 1 minute. I also am going to try what you said about doing 4 sets of 8 reps with higher weight. I just need to join a gym, I use the one at work that is all right.

I'd say use HIIT, sounds like you're just doing constant running. I'd also say that you probably need to spread apart your aerobic with muscle building, as the two are in conflict, especially if you're not using HIIT.

I'm a big fan of the full body workout. 45 minutes is enough to pull that off (although you'd need to find time for cardio), 3 or 4x a week. There just isn't time to do a true splits and it isn't even the best for everybody anyway. If you're not using roids, generally full body gets you the best results especially to start, because your foundation gets built correctly.

For cardio, you can do what I do, I basically ripped it off my buddy in Special Ops, try to run a quarter mile in 1:30 or less, then you get a break (you'll probably need 1:30 when you first start, but ideally you want only 1 minute or 30 seconds only between sets at least for the first few sets) and you do this about 8 times. It is killer. You can change up the times, you can jog on your breaks and go less on the HIIT part, it's up to you. But if that doesn't get you cut nothing will.

Thanks for the input Serphynx but actually I use a spin bike and alternate between constant speed, "uphill/high torque", and wind sprints. I have continually increased the times I do the uphills and sprints thus reducing the constant. Running destroys my knees, the bike is much easier on them for me.

Thanks for the input to everyone actually, I really appreciate it.

12 reps should be the max... tone up exercising will not cut you better than building muscle... higher weight less reps more sets will get you cut...

For example...

Instead 3 or 4 sets of 12 or 15 reps of curls at 30lbs...

do...

6 or 8 reps of 5 sets at 40lbs... you will see your arm get more cut in a week... I just jumped from 30lb curls to 40lb curls and from 3 sets of 12 to 4 sets of 8 at the higher weight and my arms got more cut just this week,....

what are injecting into your butt that you went up 10 pounds in curls in a week? :confused:

40 minutes seems like awhile but you`ll thank yourself after you do it trust me.

Doesn't breaking down weights instead of building up also help?

Say you were going to do curls...

Start with your max weight using 5lb free weights on both sides. As many 5lb weights as it takes to add up to your max curling weight. Do 3-5 of your max weight. Quickly take off a 5 from both sides(obviously) and do like 5-7. keep taking off a 5 from each side and keep raising your reps until its just the bar. The bar should feel almost as heavy as your max weight did after your 30th rep.

This applies to just about every lift.

Oh and if this info is wrong, by all means correct me. I'm no pro just going on what others have told me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all- Wanted to say thanks for all who contributed in this thread. I took some pointers from here and have followed a rigid eating schedule, I balance my meals and eat about 6 a day now, I've added whey protein to my diet as well. I decided after reading my book to take measurements. I've taken measurements for two weeks now and I've finally lost a lb of weight while losing 1.5% body fat. Dunno if it's the protein or the amounts of food but I feel more refreshed every day and more energetic. So just wanted to say thanks, hearing some feedback from people got my ass in gear.

Hey all- Wanted to say thanks for all who contributed in this thread. I took some pointers from here and have followed a rigid eating schedule, I balance my meals and eat about 6 a day now, I've added whey protein to my diet as well. I decided after reading my book to take measurements. I've taken measurements for two weeks now and I've finally lost a lb of weight while losing 1.5% body fat. Dunno if it's the protein or the amounts of food but I feel more refreshed every day and more energetic. So just wanted to say thanks, hearing some feedback from people got my ass in gear.

Awesome, your metabolism is going up and thats why you feel like you had caffeine even if you didnt... :lol:

Oddly enough I have been slacking like crazy since giving you advice... lol

Awesome, your metabolism is going up and thats why you feel like you had caffeine even if you didnt... :lol:

Oddly enough I have been slacking like crazy since giving you advice... lol

Haha... yea that's what it feels like, I don't have "crashes" anymore. My problem was I didnt' want to go through the trouble of trying to eat that much but it's been really easy. I might lose out on like 30 min of sleep in the AM but I still feel 30 times more energetic throughout the day due to it. I'm mainly trying to stay with "natural" supplements.

Sounds great, keep up the good work!

Never saw this thread before now, but some good stuff in here. I recently joined a gym a few weeks ago so this is all good info for me.

I work with a trainer once a week and he kicks my ass...lol.

I normally do all cardio on Sat & Sun mornings, which is basically the only time I can go those days since I work from 10-6:30 those two days. Then I go into the gym after work Mon, Wed, and Fri nights. I work my chest and triceps on Mondays, legs on Wednesdays, and shoulders, back, and biceps on Fridays.

Last week I finally started eating healthier too, with a bowl of Cheerios in the morning, a small turkey wrap and yogurt for lunch, with a small snack of an apple and banana in between. Then I have another apple and banana a couple of hours after lunch, and then I eat when I get home around 6:30-6:45, and that's just a chicken breast with some steamed broccoli and beans.

I'm not a huge fan of water, but I do drink it more now than I used to. I just don't like how it has no flavor.

I weighed myself last Sunday and I was 246 and this past Sunday I was down to 239.5 so something was working so far. I still have some things I need to change, but it's hard getting back into this at 36 when I haven't been a gym really doing anything for 10 years.

I'm also going to look into that Muscle Milk I saw a few pages back. One of my coworkers swears by that stuff.

Edited by KSJets

Never saw this thread before now, but some good stuff in here. I recently joined a gym a few weeks ago so this is all good info for me.

I work with a trainer once a week and he kicks my ass...lol.

I normally do all cardio on Sat & Sun mornings, which is basically the only time I can go those days since I work from 10-6:30 those two days. Then I go into the gym after work Mon, Wed, and Fri nights. I work my chest and triceps on Mondays, legs on Wednesdays, and shoulders, back, and biceps on Fridays.

Last week I finally started eating healthier too, with a bowl of Cheerios in the morning, a small turkey wrap and yogurt for lunch, with a small snack of an apple and banana in between. Then I have another apple and banana a couple of hours after lunch, and then I eat when I get home around 6:30-6:45, and that's just a chicken breast with some steamed broccoli and beans.

I'm not a huge fan of water, but I do drink it more now than I used to. I just don't like how it has no flavor.

I weighed myself last Sunday and I was 246 and this past Sunday I was down to 239.5 so something was working so far. I still have some things I need to change, but it's hard getting back into this at 36 when I haven't been a gym really doing anything for 10 years.

Good work man! Keep at it. Some weeks are better then others, so keep that in mind. This is all hard work but what you put in is what get. More meals with a good balance of protein, "good" carbs, and "good" fats at each has worked for me.

Good stuff and congrats, Vicious, on the original loss of 35 lbs. That's tough for guys like us in their 30s.

I did the same myself with a running/weight training regiment that I've adhered to since the summer of 2007. The older we get, the tougher it'll be, but it's worth it.

There's been great info in here and the only thing I'll add is: be very careful with any type of supplements. You have a young child and are in good shape on the outside, but be damn well sure to that your most important organ is healthy--your heart.

There is a definately an open issue on supplements and heart disease, so be careful. No matter if you have a firm belly and ripped arms, if your heart isn't healthy, you're a ticking time bomb.

Again, great job.

Good stuff and congrats, Vicious, on the original loss of 35 lbs. That's tough for guys like us in their 30s.

I did the same myself with a running/weight training regiment that I've adhered to since the summer of 2007. The older we get, the tougher it'll be, but it's worth it.

There's been great info in here and the only thing I'll add is: be very careful with any type of supplements. You have a young child and are in good shape on the outside, but be damn well sure to that your most important organ is healthy--your heart.

There is a definately an open issue on supplements and heart disease, so be careful. No matter if you have a firm belly and ripped arms, if your heart isn't healthy, you're a ticking time bomb.

Again, great job.

+1. No matter what supplements are out there, simply nothing can beat healthy eating and controlled exercise. I know that sounds cliche, but I'm very skeptical of what's out there. The only types of supplements I take are Flaxseed Oil (which do wonders for my LDLs) and Vitamins.

Again, great job.

Thanks SMC. As of right now I'm only taking powdered Whey Protein and make sure to stay VERY hydrated throughout the day as processing protein is "tougher" on the kidneys. The only other "supplements" I take are ZMA and Omega 3, which is considered natural as well. I agree also with what Jets Voice said... I try to get ALL of my nutrients through food. Lots of Chicken and turkey, lots of green veggies, cutting down on high levels of sugar, etc.

It's easy to get wrapped up in like what you said, the self centered side of all of this, what you look like in the mirror. For me my kid is what got me in this mode, when the doctor told me "your cholesterol is through the roof" I pretty much dedicated myself to being healthy. Gotta see the little guy grow up and I want to be healthy enough to enjoy in getting him to be an active kid.

Thanks SMC. As of right now I'm only taking powdered Whey Protein and make sure to stay VERY hydrated throughout the day as processing protein is "tougher" on the kidneys. The only other "supplements" I take are ZMA and Omega 3, which is considered natural as well. I agree also with what Jets Voice said... I try to get ALL of my nutrients through food. Lots of Chicken and turkey, lots of green veggies, cutting down on high levels of sugar, etc.

It's easy to get wrapped up in like what you said, the self centered side of all of this, what you look like in the mirror. For me my kid is what got me in this mode, when the doctor told me "your cholesterol is through the roof" I pretty much dedicated myself to being healthy. Gotta see the little guy grow up and I want to be healthy enough to enjoy in getting him to be an active kid.

Bet the wife doesn't mind either :cheers:

Good stuff.

In the summer of 2007, when my son was 2, the healthiest man I know--my father--had a heart attack (he's doing well now after spending 2 months in the hospital). Soon after that my boss had 3 heartattacks in 4 days (amazingly he survived, even after flatlining and having a collapsed lung). I was up to 222 pounds at 6' and I was like, "I have to change my lifestyle or I'll be dead before my kid hits high school.

So I ran 5 days a week and weight lifted twice a week. I wanted to loss weight and strengthen my heart. My main dietary change was eating breakfast, which I had stopped doing for a long time. It took me 41 weeks to lose 37 lbs and I've maintained my 185 lb weight (the same weight as I got married when I was 30, I'll be 37 in May), and run 4 times a week and weight train 3 times a week.

And, like you mentioned, being around for the little guy is just part of it; you want to be healthy and athletic enough to be active with him. My son's going to be 4 in July and I know I wouldn't have been able to keep up with him if I hadn't changed how I lived 2 years ago.

Edited by SMC

Good stuff.

In the summer of 2007, when my son was 2, the healthiest man I know--my father--had a heart attack (he's doing well now after spending 2 months in the hospital). Soon after that my boss had 3 heartattacks in 4 days (amazingly he survived, even after flatlining and having a collapsed lung). I was up to 222 pounds at 6' and I was like, "I have to change my lifestyle or I'll be dead before my kid hits high school.

So I ran 5 days a week and weight lifted twice a week. I wanted to loss weight and strengthen my heart. My main dietary change was eating breakfast, which I had stopped doing for a long time. It took me 41 weeks to lose 37 lbs and I've maintained my 185 lb weight (the same weight as I got married when I was 30, I'll be 37 in May), and run 4 times a week and weight train 3 times a week.

And, like you mentioned, being around for the little guy is just part of it; you want to be healthy and athletic enough to be active with him. My son's going to be 4 in July and I know I wouldn't have been able to keep up with him if I hadn't changed how I lived 2 years ago.

Damn dude, that's scary stuff, especially when it's someone whose genetics you're made up of. What's fun is that was my biggest issue as well... NEVER eating breakfast. I was a 2-3 coffee until lunch sort of guy. Not to mention drinking about a case and a half of booze a week. All that being said it was essentially the same type of epiphany. I hate saying "I'm on a diet" cause it feels like I'll eventually be off of it, for me this is a whole lifestyle change. I'll be the first to say it too, it sounds retarded but working out and doing all this has translated into a change in my mood. Just feel better, happier, focused, all of it.

My kid isn't walking yet... but I can tell he's gonna be nuts cause he crawls all over the place and gets his hands into where he shouldn't. He's 10 months old so I figure the walking thing will start soon. Oh lord how things will change.

Definitely nice hearing other people who have done it and keep doing it. It inspires you to stick to it and never give up, so thanks SMC

I'm only 5'8" and 239lbs so I'm pretty ****ed...lol.

Seriously though, according to my trainer I have a good starting base. My problem was I had always lifted for bulk. I was strong, but I had NO endurance whatsoever. Now I'm trying to change that.

Everything I'm doing is higher reps than I'm used to and I almost find it comical that I can lift something that I considered so light earlier and struggle with it so much by the end of my routine. The first several reps are so easy, but once I get close to 10 reps, I'm screwed. Then by the end of my workout, I can barely lift anything.

It's funny what some people have said that they did this for their kids. I'm in a different boat. I'm single and I have no kids, but my 5 year old niece and 3 year old nephew have recently started calling me the big guy. A week before Christmas, my niece said to my sister-in-law that "the big guy's coming over tonight" and they told her Santa isn't coming for another week. That's when she said "no, Uncle Keith is coming over tonight after work".

They don't say it in a bad way obviously, but that's tough to hear.

Damn dude, that's scary stuff, especially when it's someone whose genetics you're made up of. What's fun is that was my biggest issue as well... NEVER eating breakfast. I was a 2-3 coffee until lunch sort of guy. Not to mention drinking about a case and a half of booze a week. All that being said it was essentially the same type of epiphany. I hate saying "I'm on a diet" cause it feels like I'll eventually be off of it, for me this is a whole lifestyle change. I'll be the first to say it too, it sounds retarded but working out and doing all this has translated into a change in my mood. Just feel better, happier, focused, all of it.

My kid isn't walking yet... but I can tell he's gonna be nuts cause he crawls all over the place and gets his hands into where he shouldn't. He's 10 months old so I figure the walking thing will start soon. Oh lord how things will change.

Definitely nice hearing other people who have done it and keep doing it. It inspires you to stick to it and never give up, so thanks SMC

So true, and you're welcome..

And I hate the diet talk. I scold people when they say I'm on a diet. I'm not on a diet, I simply eat different. I pretty much eat the same as I did before (much lesser portions because I'm not as hungry), drink more water, and eat breakfast every day.

The only thing I've "cut" from what I eat is regular soda (it's simply a waste of calories) and McDees/Burger King/Wendy's. The only burger place I hit occasionally is White Castle, and those sliders are medically addictive.

And, like you, I naturally feel better during the day: more energetic, avoid feeling fatigued, etc.

It still surprises me sometimes. Just yesterday, I got home from work, shovelled snow (I have a corner property so that's a lot of sidewalk), weight trained, then rested for an hour before I ran 3 km on my treadmill. I felt great afterwards. Plus, it gets addictive. Right now I'm looking forward to getting home and run before my wife and son get in.

Seriously though, according to my trainer I have a good starting base. My problem was I had always lifted for bulk. I was strong, but I had NO endurance whatsoever. Now I'm trying to change that.

Everything I'm doing is higher reps than I'm used to and I almost find it comical that I can lift something that I considered so light earlier and struggle with it so much by the end of my routine. The first several reps are so easy, but once I get close to 10 reps, I'm screwed. Then by the end of my workout, I can barely lift anything.

It's funny what some people have said that they did this for their kids. I'm in a different boat. I'm single and I have no kids, but my 5 year old niece and 3 year old nephew have recently started calling me the big guy. A week before Christmas, my niece said to my sister-in-law that "the big guy's coming over tonight" and they told her Santa isn't coming for another week. That's when she said "no, Uncle Keith is coming over tonight after work".

I was 5'7 and 207 so yea, it's doable man. And more power to you for doing it for yourself. Every single workout is just a tiny step closer to your ultimate goal. Staying motivated is one of the toughest things for people.

I hear you, man. My brother and sister mentioned my weight gain as well and I was like, damn (ironically, they both said it in the hospital when we were seeing our pops and I'm like, "Gee, thanks, you just put a bullseye right on my chest.").

It's good you have a trainer and you're getting it done. The only thing I would recommend that you increase/or start, is running. Running is a wonderful exercise and still the best in combination of losing weight and improving the health of your heart.

So true, and you're welcome..

And I hate the diet talk. I scold people when they say I'm on a diet. I'm not on a diet, I simply eat different. I pretty much eat the same as I did before (much lesser portions because I'm not as hungry), drink more water, and eat breakfast every day.

The only thing I've "cut" from what I eat is regular soda (it's simply a waste of calories) and McDees/Burger King/Wendy's. The only burger place I hit occasionally is White Castle, and those sliders are medically addictive.

And, like you, I naturally feel better during the day: more energetic, avoid feeling fatigued, etc.

It still surprises me sometimes. Just yesterday, I got home from work, shovelled snow (I have a corner property so that's a lot of sidewalk), weight trained, then rested for an hour before I ran 3 km on my treadmill. I felt great afterwards. Plus, it gets addictive. Right now I'm looking forward to getting home and run before my wife and son get in.

Lol when I was home in Jersey during the Holiday's that was the last time I gorged myself. They dont' have White Castle here :(

Yea fast foods are gone for me, I drink a **** ton of water. For me I've just changed the way I eat, I mean I ate two meals a day, now I'm eating 6. But it works for me.

I totally agree on how working out gets addictive, it becomes part of your routine. And if you miss a workout, you feel worse for it (in my case). I mean I work out at work, and last Friday I had a day off to do errands, but I still got up early and drove to work to use the gym since it was a lifting day. There's a certain feeling busting your ass in the gym and then seeing yourself in the mirror after wards and right away you just feel like you look better.

I envy you for having a home setup. My woman and I have a town house right now but when we get a home making a in home gym is #2 on my list of things to get done.