Weight Lifters/ Work out freaks

Vicious89x

So true, and you're welcome..

And I hate the diet talk. I scold people when they say I'm on a diet. I'm not on a diet, I simply eat different. I pretty much eat the same as I did before (much lesser portions because I'm not as hungry), drink more water, and eat breakfast every day.

The only thing I've "cut" from what I eat is regular soda (it's simply a waste of calories) and McDees/Burger King/Wendy's. The only burger place I hit occasionally is White Castle, and those sliders are medically addictive.

And, like you, I naturally feel better during the day: more energetic, avoid feeling fatigued, etc.

It still surprises me sometimes. Just yesterday, I got home from work, shovelled snow (I have a corner property so that's a lot of sidewalk), weight trained, then rested for an hour before I ran 3 km on my treadmill. I felt great afterwards. Plus, it gets addictive. Right now I'm looking forward to getting home and run before my wife and son get in.

Other than the taste, there's nothing redeeming about soda. It's empty calories, acidic on your teeth, the carbonation is bad for your respiration, and high in carbs and complex sugars. Just switching to water from Soda helped my weight loss immensely.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear you, man. My brother and sister mentioned my weight gain as well and I was like, damn (ironically, they both said it in the hospital when we were seeing our pops and I'm like, "Gee, thanks, you just put a bullseye right on my chest.").

It's good you have a trainer and you're getting it done. The only thing I would recommend that you increase/or start, is running. Running is a wonderful exercise and still the best in combination of losing weight and improving the health of your heart.

Any high stress cardio is great IMO. My ankles and knees SUCK. I ran for 35 min the other day and screwed up my left ankle for a week. I use the spin bike here at work, I do the whole sprint/rest thing for 40 minutes.

But KS, SMC is right in the sense that you want to keep your cardio up in the beginning. Whatever works for you works, but you whatever you do, do it at a high level. Some people complain "oh i walk for 40 minutes!" well then run for 40 minutes. For me, I upped my spinning speed and sprint lengths, gotta get the heart rate up.

I hear you. I've been eating 1700 calories a day and at the gym 4-5days a week since Oct1 (3.5 months) and only have about 12lbs lost to show for it. Turns out after about age 30 your metabolism takes a crap and you don't notice it until you try to lose weight.

So I paid a trainer for advice. Here's what's helped me pick up speed (5lbs) in the last 2 weeks:

NO Saving calories for a big dinner: (this was my BIG problem)

NO MORE than 400 calories per meal! Dont "save calories" for a fun dinner. This will kill everything. My Trainer tells me this is how Sumo Wrestlers GAIN weight....they skip breakfast/lunch and eat a huge dinner.

Eat 4 or 5 small 400 calorie meals a day.
Any meal's calories beyond 400 go to your butt

You can still take in 2000 calories a day, but have more meals, and nothing after 7pm.,

LOTS OF PROTEIN:

I'm supposed to do a scoop of protein with every of my 400 calorie meals. If I don't,
the weight I'm losing will be muscle and I'll still have a gut

DO cardio: Daily, 30min. The 400 calories you burn will help offset those calories that sneak in under the radar.

NO constant-speed cardio:

Cardio should include interval or Fast/Slow...Sprints type stuff. I do an elliptical for 30min and will Sprint on the odd minutes (1,3,5,7 etc) then Coast or go slow for the even minutes (2,4,6,8 etc).

I can't say this news is gospel, but It's helped me.

This is pretty good...

Eat clean, and numerous small meals and you'll see weight fly off. Eating keeps your metabolism going so eating more often keeps it humming.

Crossfit, dude. Look it up, its hard, but effective and a workout doesn't take 2 hours in the gym, a lot of high intensity body weight stuff, and all you need is a Kettelbell (or a set of dumbells), a medicine ball, and somewhere to do pullups.

Also, no joke, but a lot of guys at the FD are doing, and having success with, that P90x workout from TV.

Oh, I'm on the treadmill about 30 minutes before my workout. I've never been a runner though, too much wear and tear on my knees and ankles. I might start to use the elliptical machines soon instead of the treadmill.

I've been working out for around 18 months now. While I definitely have gotten an increase in muscle mass I can never supplement my work out with a good diet. I don't like seafood and there's only so many nights I could eat grilled chicken. What else do you guys do for protein? I was drinking muscle milk after my work outs for awhile but I stopped b/c I was broke but I think it's time to get that again.

Also how do you know how much protein you should consume and how much you are consuming? To me when I start to think about it, it feels like a part-time job just to figure out my daily diet. I definitely don't have time for that. What are good ideas for other small/quick meals during the day? Does a banana or apple count as a meal?

I've been working out for around 18 months now. While I definitely have gotten an increase in muscle mass I can never supplement my work out with a good diet. I don't like seafood and there's only so many nights I could eat grilled chicken. What else do you guys do for protein? I was drinking muscle milk after my work outs for awhile but I stopped b/c I was broke but I think it's time to get that again.

Also how do you know how much protein you should consume and how much you are consuming? To me when I start to think about it, it feels like a part-time job just to figure out my daily diet. I definitely don't have time for that. What are good ideas for other small/quick meals during the day? Does a banana or apple count as a meal?

Obviously this is all JMO. Anyways, for protein I take nothing but Whey protein. While muscle milk definitely works I didn't feel like dealing with the extra calories. Whey protein is pretty pure so I like to try and stick to that routine. As for meals I'll give you a rundown of how my day goes pretty much.

-Wake up early, have a bowl of shredded wheat cereal with skim milk, and a banana. At this time I also make my food for the rest of the day I keep it simple

-Egg whites, with a very small amount of skim milk cheese, pack a grape fruit and a piece of wheat bread.

-Lunch time, I buy lunch, usually a salad with lots of greens, turkey breast and a oil and vinegar dressing

- Then I have a spinach salad after lunch and drink a protein shake

- Workout, have another shake.

- Dinner

- Bowl of cottage cheese with a small amount of peanut butter.

All of this is spaced about 2.5-3 hours apart. Obviously this seems like a ton of work but honestly, it takes me about 20 minutes in the morning to prep the food and eat breakfast at the same time.

Yea, I understand that. I'm consuming roughly 1400 calories a day and burn 1500 calories in cardio workouts a day. I usually eat:

Oatmeal (non-flavored) with raisins in the morning

Turkey Sandwich on whole wheat with Lettuce and tomato

Dinner

I eat some snacks here and there, and I consume about 120-150 ounces of water a day. I just feel like I'm not burning any more fat. I try to be really conscious of what I'm doing but it seems like I've hit a wall.

1400 calories per day and your doing exercises? Your body is in starvation mode and its going to hold on to bodyfat like your going to die....its a self defense mechanism, it actually used to be useful during the hunter/gatherer days, think about it. If your 200 lbs then consume roughly 2200 calories per day, give or take a hundred, just tweak it to see where it takes you. Trust me, eat more or you will never loose bodyfat, just muscle.

The ideal amount of weight to loose is 2lbs per week, anything more is just water weight or muscle...which is mostly water anyway.

-----hint hint....apples and celery are negative calorie foods...it actually takes more calories to digest these foods than whats actually in the foods themselves---- I need to know your weight also to give to some better stats. Just google "negative calorie foods" or go onto johnstonefitness.com and check that place out.

I find it odd that nobody has even mentioned the pooping benefits of eating healthy in this thread. No fuss, no muss, it always comes out smooth and there's never any burning or constipation. That, to me, is the best thing about getting in your fruits and veggies for the day...all that cholesterol and lifestyle stuff places a distant second to how much more enjoyable pooping becomes.

1400 calories per day and your doing exercises? Your body is in starvation mode and its going to hold on to bodyfat like your going to die....its a self defense mechanism, it actually used to be useful during the hunter/gatherer days, think about it. If your 200 lbs then consume roughly 2200 calories per day, give or take a hundred, just tweak it to see where it takes you. Trust me, eat more or you will never loose bodyfat, just muscle.

The ideal amount of weight to loose is 2lbs per week, anything more is just water weight or muscle...which is mostly water anyway.

-----hint hint....apples and celery are negative calorie foods...it actually takes more calories to digest these foods than whats actually in the foods themselves---- I need to know your weight also to give to some better stats. Just google "negative calorie foods" or go onto johnstonefitness.com and check that place out.

That's what I USED to do. Now i'm up to roughly 2300. I've lost 1 lb during the week I was measuring but trying to focus on my body fat because as you said, I can lose 5 lbs but lose no body fat, meaning it's just muscle.

Good suggestions Vicious! I need to do some grocery shopping tomorrow.

Does anyone do any type of trail mix? I know nuts contain a lot of protein. I have school from 3-8, so eating in there can be difficult. I'm considering making a batch of trail mix with mixed nuts (how bad would it be if they're salted or my favorite, honey roasted?) along with some dried fruits and maybe even a little dark chocolate as I've heard that can be good for you. Anyone do this or have any different suggestions on school snack?

I find it odd that nobody has even mentioned the pooping benefits of eating healthy in this thread. No fuss, no muss, it always comes out smooth and there's never any burning or constipation. That, to me, is the best thing about getting in your fruits and veggies for the day...all that cholesterol and lifestyle stuff places a distant second to how much more enjoyable pooping becomes.

I agree with that. You should be pooping at least twice per day anyway. If your not, then many problems can occur. Getting sick is one of them.

Archived