"Mets aren

Morrissey

Jeez, how different would this team be if Doubleday was the owner..I mean, the Wilpons didn't want Piazza!!!

Here is another quote from Jeff Wilpon:

"The Mets would like to run their team like a mid market franchise while asking our fans to pay ticket prices for a large market team. We really have no interest in winning ever, and we close the door on all players rather than leave it open just in case a deal can be made.

We also like the idea of turning off free agents in the future by how vocal we are on players who don't play for this team."

Never buy into anything you read about a teams supposed stance on a Free Agent until he signs with another team. All stories are leaked or put out to the media with a agenda behind them.

IMO whenever Boras feels he has hit Manny's final offer he will check in with both NY teams one last time.

I would love Manny or Abreu(who the Yanks never should have let go ) for a 2 year deal.

Wright sees that Delgado is another year older, and what Delgado did the first 3 months is probably more likely what you can expect in 2009.

RAMIREZ, BUT MOVE LOOKS UNLIKELY

By MIKE PUMA

MAN OF THE MOMENT: David Wright said during an appearance at Schneider Children's Hospital that Manny Ramirez (pictutred) would help the Mets and that adding a big bat "never hurts." But COO Jeff Wilpon said the decision to not pursue Ramirez has been GM Omar Minaya's call.

[url=http://javascript<b></b>:nextclick()]

Last updated: 2:35 am

January 23, 2009

Posted: 2:12 am

January 23, 2009

David Wright has a huge Man-crush on a certain available slugger.

Just don't expect to see Manny Ramirez wearing a Mets uniform this season, unless the organization has an abrupt change of heart. Yesterday, team COO Jeff Wilpon said the decision to not pursue Ramirez has been GM Omar Minaya's call, with ownership removed from the equation.

"I don't have the opportunity to say no because Omar hasn't brought it to me as an option," Wilpon told Bloomberg News. "Omar and the baseball staff aren't interested."

But multiple industry sources disputed that notion, saying it's all semantics on Wilpon's part, because Minaya is working under certain budget constraints and needs to save his pennies for more starting pitching and thus knows it would be fruitless to broach the subject of Ramirez with Wilpon.

It looks like all Wright can do is dream. During an appearance at Schneider Children's Hospital in New Hyde Park, the All-Star third baseman professed his admiration for Ramirez and admitted that adding another bat "never hurts."

Ramirez probably can be had by the first team willing to extend a three-year offer in the $75 million range. But the lone remaining splash Minaya likely will make this winter is for another starting pitcher, preferably Oliver Perez, leaving Daniel Murphy and Fernando Tatis to handle left field.

Maybe the Mets should listen to Wright instead.

"I know what (Ramirez) has done on the field, and that's impressive," Wright said. "When you can single-handedly take a team and carry it into the postseason, and then once you get into the postseason the numbers speak for themselves, that's impressive.

"I would be on board with Manny 100 percent, assuming that he comes in and puts the team first and wants to be part of this thing and wants to win."

Wright said he doesn't know Ramirez personally, except for a few brief conversations, but says he isn't afraid of the baggage the future Hall of Famer brings with him.

Last year's saga included Ramirez forcing a trade from the Red Sox because he was unhappy with his contract situation. Ramirez landed with the Dodgers and hit .396 with 15 homers and 53 RBIs over the final two months before hitting .520 with four homers and 10 RBIs in the playoffs.

"I don't know what he's like in the clubhouse," Wright said. "But I would hope we would have a good enough clubhouse where, no matter whom we bring in, the clubhouse would be a positive influence to them and they would put the team first."

Wright said the Mets have enough firepower in their lineup, but that's provided individuals duplicate their numbers from last season.

Though Wright didn't give names, Tatis was a huge surprise last season, and the Mets privately have to be wondering if they will get the MVP candidate Carlos Delgado or the player who was an automatic out for most of last season's first half.

"If we all stay healthy and we all similarly play the way we did last year, we'll be just fine," Wright said. "But a bat never hurts."

Alex Cora and the Mets finalized a $2 million, one-year contract yesterday, giving the team a backup infielder who also could displace Luis Castillo at second base. mpuma@nypost.com

I want Manny on this team but not at the money and length Boras is asking for. I doubt anyone else will give him 4-5 years at 25 million either. I love how misinformed some people are on this board. This notion that the Mets are cheap makes me laugh all the time. Fact of the matter is the Mets have the 3rd highest payroll in the league at about $140 last year, and highest in the National League for the last few years. Some people may not want to accept it, but the Mets do have a budget. They share the same city with the Yankees, but they are not the Yankees. There is no way currently for the Mets to compare with the Yankees revenue stream. The Mets payroll will be similar to last year which is around $140-$150million. That is cheap? This is the same team that signed the best pitcher in the league, signed, Beltran, Pedro, so on and so forth. Some folks on this board love to keep bringing up the Wilpons losing hundreds of millions of dollars, but the fact is they have not deviated from last year's budget. Please someone explain to me how they are cheap. Is it because their payroll is not north of $200 million?

I want Manny on this team but not at the money and length Boras is asking for. I doubt anyone else will give him 4-5 years at 25 million either. I love how misinformed some people are on this board. This notion that the Mets are cheap makes me laugh all the time. Fact of the matter is the Mets have the 3rd highest payroll in the league at about $140 last year, and highest in the National League for the last few years. Some people may not want to accept it, but the Mets do have a budget. They share the same city with the Yankees, but they are not the Yankees. There is no way currently for the Mets to compare with the Yankees revenue stream. The Mets payroll will be similar to last year which is around $140-$150million. That is cheap? This is the same team that signed the best pitcher in the league, signed, Beltran, Pedro, so on and so forth. Some folks on this board love to keep bringing up the Wilpons losing hundreds of millions of dollars, but the fact is they have not deviated from last year's budget. Please someone explain to me how they are cheap. Is it because their payroll is not north of $200 million?

Manny will get 3 years max... and it won't be for $25 million per year.

I'm not sure if Boras is holding out for the 3rd year, which no team seems to be willing to give in to (yet), but the Mets should offer 2 years, $65 million.

Maybe the perk of being the highest paid player in baseball for the next 2 years (ARod is making $32m in both '09 and '10) is enough to appease Manny and gives Boras a chance to give ARod an FU if he's upset at how the whole opt-out thing went.

LOL at the usual suspects spinning the article to suit their long time agenda. Wright never says that Delgado will not perform.

The first 3 months of last year are an exception to what Delgado has ALWAYS done in his career which is put up big numbers. He's a HOF with one or two more big years.

LOL at the usual suspects spinning the article to suit their long time agenda. Wright never says that Delgado will not perform.

The first 3 months of last year are an exception to what Delgado has ALWAYS done in his career which is put up big numbers. He's a HOF with one or two more big years.

actually thr first 3 months of last season and practically the entire season before it. i don'r expect delgaso to come close to the production he had the sexcond half of last season. mets lineup is weak, and we won't be goibng to the play-offs this year.......maybe we'll get lucky and win the wildcard, but i doubt it.

actually thr first 3 months of last season and practically the entire season before it. i don'r expect delgaso to come close to the production he had the sexcond half of last season. mets lineup is weak, and we won't be goibng to the play-offs this year.......maybe we'll get lucky and win the wildcard, but i doubt it.

07 was due to wrist injury and our middle of the order is probably top 5 or so in the NL.

Besides it is still January and too early to say what the finished product is. This pen should make a world of difference.

The METS might win the division but where are the bats outside of Wright, Church ( when he's hot), Delgado and Beltran? Jose Reyes is a good short stop but he goes through cold spells at inopportune times of the season. Tatis was good last season. At the end of the day you guys still need another hitter. Manny wouldve been a good fit.

The METS might win the division but where are the bats outside of Wright, Church ( when he's hot), Delgado and Beltran? Jose Reyes is a good short stop but he goes through cold spells at inopportune times of the season. Tatis was good last season. At the end of the day you guys still need another hitter. Manny wouldve been a good fit.

Every team can use a Manny Ramirez. He is only the best right handed hitter of his generation. Again, no one is going to give him the money he wants.

Church sucks. He hit .276 last year with very mediocre power.

Delgado is too streaky and not sure which Delgado we will see... the guy was so bad the first few months of the season he should have been released.

Beltran.... if we have to rely on Beltran to lead this team we're f@cked. He is no leader.

Reyes and Wright fade too much

Fernando Tatis? I have to rely on Fernando Tatis and Ryan Church to even have a shot to compete... That is bullcrap. Mets should have a better team than this dogsh!t Omar has put together.

Church sucks. He hit .276 last year with very mediocre power.

Delgado is too streaky and not sure which Delgado we will see... the guy was so bad the first few months of the season he should have been released.

Beltran.... if we have to rely on Beltran to lead this team we're f@cked. He is no leader.

Reyes and Wright fade too much

Fernando Tatis? I have to rely on Fernando Tatis and Ryan Church to even have a shot to compete... That is bullcrap. Mets should have a better team than this dogsh!t Omar has put together.

You really need to relax and know what you are talking about.

Mets were 2nd in the NL in runs scored...6th in Total Bases....7th in HR's.....6th in SLG pct....4th in BA and 3rd in RBI's. That's with Church providing nothing post concussion and Delgado's horrendous 1st half.

David Wright "faded" to the tune of a .340 BA in Sept ...... .330 after the All- Star Break with a .582 Slg Pct.

The Mets pen killed them. Hold 2/3 of the late inning leads they blew and there would not have even have been a pennant race.

Give Omar the entire off season before throwing in the towel on 2009.

You really need to relax and know what you are talking about.

Mets were 2nd in the NL in runs scored...6th in Total Bases....7th in HR's.....6th in SLG pct....4th in BA and 3rd in RBI's. That's with Church providing nothing post concussion and Delgado's horrendous 1st half.

David Wright "faded" to the tune of a .340 BA in Sept ...... .330 after the All- Star Break with a .582 Slg Pct.

The Mets pen killed them. Hold 2/3 of the late inning leads they blew and there would not have even have been a pennant race.

Give Omar the entire off season before throwing in the towel on 2009.

I didnt say Wright faded in Sept. He disappears too often. throughout the whole season.

And the Mets overall numbers mean sh!t. What matters is how they do in close games. And we didnt do well enough. If we had enough offense, we wouldnt have sucked the first 2 months and have to fire Willie.

yes the bullpen sucked, but the offense didnt do what they needed to do to win. It was the whole team responsible for last season.

And I will not give Omar the entire offseason. He has proven he sucks as GM. He wasnt prepared for needing 2 SP this offseason. He wasnt prepared for needing a LF this offseason. Yeah, he got an upgrade in the bullpen, but any dumb sh!t knew this had to be addressed. He didnt do anything spectacular with these moves.

Im not throwing in the towel for '09, Im just setting my sights low for this season. We dont have what it takes to win 90+ games. I have zero confidence in this team, and there is no move they can make this offseason that will change this.

I didnt say Wright faded in Sept. He disappears too often. throughout the whole season.

And the Mets overall numbers mean sh!t. What matters is how they do in close games. And we didnt do well enough. If we had enough offense, we wouldnt have sucked the first 2 months and have to fire Willie.

yes the bullpen sucked, but the offense didnt do what they needed to do to win. It was the whole team responsible for last season.

And I will not give Omar the entire offseason. He has proven he sucks as GM. He wasnt prepared for needing 2 SP this offseason. He wasnt prepared for needing a LF this offseason. Yeah, he got an upgrade in the bullpen, but any dumb sh!t knew this had to be addressed. He didnt do anything spectacular with these moves.

Im not throwing in the towel for '09, Im just setting my sights low for this season. We dont have what it takes to win 90+ games. I have zero confidence in this team, and there is no move they can make this offseason that will change this.

If there is nothing the Mets can do to compete and win this season and you have zero confidence in this team. Not to mention you seem to hate management and even the players to a degree. Why bother watching? Please take a year or 2 off.

If there is nothing the Mets can do to compete and win this season and you have zero confidence in this team. Not to mention you seem to hate management and even the players to a degree. Why bother watching? Please take a year or 2 off.

Why bother watching? Because I hold out faint hope that somehow they are better than I think they are. Im not a fair weather fan who doesnt root for their team because they stink or dont do what I want.

Being a fan doesnt mean accepting the sh!t shoveled by the team. Im allowed to disagree with their moves. Doesnt make me less of a fan to not be confident in what they do.

If you think its somehow ok for a fan to stop watching because they dont think the team will be good is pathetic. REAL fans dont quit on their team ever. Im not quitting on them, I just think they'll stink.

Well they are getting $20 million from Citibank for the naming rights, I kinda expected that money to go into the product on the field. I'm not saying they need to be at $200 million but the team as constituted now even if you include Perez is not good enough to win this year.

Archived