wow hahhaha. look at these predictions from pats fans.

Jetkid94

The Patriots and Phins both lost to the Jets. So the Patriots loss to the Jets is no more or less relevant then both teams sweeping the Bills. They both had 4-2 records. If the Phins were 5-1 and the Patriots 4-2 due to the Jets, then the loss would be relevant, but it is not. Again, the big loss and ultimately deciding factor among common opponents was the loss to the Chargers which decided the conference record between the Phins and Patriots.

I would not anoint the Steelers yet as a dynasty. Kurt and the Rams can attest to being prematurely crowned.

The salary cap is the issue here.

That is why the Patriots, Colts and Steelers runs are that much more amazing. Niners and Boyz eventually faltered due to Hall of Fame QBs leaving and the erosion of talent whether through age or leaving for the greenback.

My point for that, is the salary cap was still in it's infancy. Not all teams were adept at managing it. I would speculate that the norms now are different then they were then and teams are better at managing the cap.

Anyways, back on point, due to the salary cap and the Rozelling of the NFL, the gap between 1 and 32 is not as great as it was back then. Miami can be 1-15 one year and 11-5 the next. A team that is weeks away from being dismantled can rise and slay an 18-0 team.

That is why my Patriots who have had a steady erosion of talent (coaches and players) are still a threat to win. I am not saying they are as good as the 57-16 Patriots that won 3 titles in 4 years. They are not.

I said a few years ago the Patriots were similar to the 49ers. The 49ers were a threat to win from 1981 to 1998 when Steve Young's career ended. They lost players. They lost coaches, but they still won between 10-15 games every year except 1. Is it a stretch to say the 49ers could have won more titles? No. It is not a stretch to say the Patriots cannot win another title as long as Belichick and Brady are there? No. Will they? I do not know.

I am not saying the Patriots run is not going to be as long as that, but I am not saying the door is entirely closed yet either.

I somewhat disagree. The defenses were better, the offense was not. But just goes to show you - defense wins championships.

That said, the defense will only get better. The d-line is stable. Thomas will be back. Merriweather has turned the corner and Mayo is a stud. Another MLB, a saftey and a real number one corner - and the defense will be as stout as before. The offense is all set. No real tweaking necessary. A right tackle would be nice I guess.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I somewhat disagree. The defenses were better, the offense was not. But just goes to show you - defense wins championships.

That said, the defense will only get better. The d-line is stable. Thomas will be back. Merriweather has turned the corner and Mayo is a stud. Another MLB, a saftey and a real number one corner - and the defense will be as stout as before. The offense is all set. No real tweaking necessary. A right tackle would be nice I guess.

I probably should have been clearer. The Patriots D was better as they had more playmakers. Bruschi and Law in their primes.

PFSIKH, let me make this simple.

If the Pats beat the Chargers week 6 is playoff destiny in their hands? NO. The Pats would need the Jets to lose games to take control of the division.

If the Pats lost to the Chargers week 6 and beat the Jets week 11, is playoff destiny in their hands? YES. The Pats play the Fins the following week and if they beat the Fins (which the Pats did) there is nothing the Fins or the Jets could do to prevent the Pats from winning the division.

If the Pats beat the Jets and Fins weeks 11 & 12 and the Pats/Fins/Jets win out after that, who gets the division? The Pats.

Thus, I still can't understand how you claim the Chargers game was pivotal. The Jets took away the Pats' chance at controlling their own destiny.

Coulda shoulda woulda.......the fact is it came down to the third tiebreaker for the division and wildcard.

Archived