Scott Boras

Gainzo

Will we start seeing players not even thinking about hiring him as their agent?

From what I've read a couple of teams won't even talk to him and he currently has Manny and Varitek as clients who are still unemployed.

The Dodgers had a 2 year, $50 million deal on the table for Manny in November and Boras shot it down.

The Sox also had a $8-$10 million 1 year deal on the table for Varitek and Boras shot it down.

Thoughts?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He told Tek to turn down a for sure 10-12 million in arbitration. He'll be LUCKY to get half of that.

He told Manny that he could get him 75 million this offseason for 3 years and Manny put it in the tank for the Sox. Nobody has sniffed that offer yet.

Why would you want to be a Boras client right now?

Boras screwed up with Tek.

Did he tell Tek if Sox offered arbitration they would be due first round compensation? He is a 37yo catcher with a declining bat. Did he not tell him that this could dry up his offers? In arbitration he would have likely made 11 million. Now, there is only 8-10 on the table.

I think that will hurt him, but in the long run he has more wins then losses.

Did he tell Tek if Sox offered arbitration they would be due first round compensation? He is a 37yo catcher with a declining bat. Did he not tell him that this could dry up his offers? In arbitration he would have likely made 11 million. Now, there is only 8-10 on the table.

Curt Schilling was on WEEI radio on Friday and they asked him about Boras. Schilling said he has no love for Boras but he also said Tek loves the guy.

I don't get it. Manny wants a 4 year deal that pays him $25 million and Tek? I have no clue what he wants as he sucked last year.

Dunno he did a good job with A-Rod and Texeira. Maybe it's just a Boston thing. :yawn:

Seriously? Get a clue.

He almost blew it with A-Rod hard. First he pulls out of the contract during the World Series just to show how he doesn't care about anything besides money. Then there was no market for A-Rod when he didn't have a contract and then he lucked out when the Yankees decided to bail him out of the deal.

Tex was going to get money no matter what because he was the best free agent hitter on the market. He didn't have to do much besides get the Yankees involved and they're always involved.

Dunno he did a good job with A-Rod and Texeira. Maybe it's just a Boston thing. :yawn:

Boras has done well in the past. This season the owners are telling him to go F himself.

The Red Sox didn't want to sign Teixera to an 8 year contract. The Yankees did for a guaranteed $180 million. $22.5 million a year.

Seriously? Get a clue.

He almost blew it with A-Rod hard. First he pulls out of the contract during the World Series just to show how he doesn't care about anything besides money. Then there was no market for A-Rod when he didn't have a contract and then he lucked out when the Yankees decided to bail him out of the deal.

Tex was going to get money no matter what because he was the best free agent hitter on the market. He didn't have to do much besides get the Yankees involved and they're always involved.

Uhh.. no he did not blow it with ARod, matter of fact, he got the Yankees to BID against themselves, and it's documented that ARod AND Boras were talking during the whole fiasco. Last time I checked ARod was signed for 10 years 275 mil.

He still did a good job with Tex.

You're going to fault Boras for the economy? Please.

While Boros is probably not the favorite person of alot of GM's to me it seems like there are alot of guys in the same boat as Manny and Varitek.

Maybe their agents underestimated the market this year. Maybe some owners are wising up some and aren't going to doll out 100 million dollars anymore. Prefering to do it more like the Marlins, White Sox, Twins, and Rays are doing it.

It has been an interesting off season so far and with Spring Training about a month away there is still alot of talent out there.

Uhh.. no he did not blow it with ARod, matter of fact, he got the Yankees to BID against themselves, and it's documented that ARod AND Boras were talking during the whole fiasco. Last time I checked ARod was signed for 10 years 275 mil.

He still did a good job with Tex.

You're going to fault Boras for the economy? Please.

Umm.....I'm going to fault the Yankees for paying over market value for both ARod and Texiera.

The other 29 teams didn't bid against themselves like the Yankees did.

The Yankees didn't bid against themselves in the Tex sweepstakes.

They did. The Sox bowed out on December 19th. The Yankees signed him on January 5th. Boras and Tex took the money. There is nothing wrong with that.

They did. The Sox bowed out on December 19th. The Yankees signed him on January 5th. Boras and Tex took the money. There is nothing wrong with that.

Do you really believe the Red Sox bowed out?

and say they did, the Nationals offered Teixeira more money, albeit only $5 million more, which is chump change over a span of 8 years.

The guy delivers...no one thought Derek Lowe would get the money and contract he got.

It is easy for us to shake our heads and wonder what the team who overpays is thinking, but some credit has to go to the agent, and this guy gets his players the money....I have yet to see him fail at that.

Do you really believe the Red Sox bowed out?

I do. The current ownership doesn't give players 8 year deals. The last time they gave a player that kind of a deal was with Manny when Duquette was calling the shots.

The Sox don't have an endless supply of revenue like the Yankees do so they look to the future when offering players huge money.

So apparently the Washington National are no one? Sure their team sucks, and the team should probably go back to Montreal, but they still put a bid down on the guy. They tried, but failed. The Yankees didn't bid

I do. The current ownership doesn't give players 8 year deals. The last time they gave a player that kind of a deal was with Manny when Duquette was calling the shots.

The Sox don't have an endless supply of revenue like the Yankees do so they look to the future when offering players huge money.

The Red Sox wanted Teixeira bad, that is clear as day, I don't know what there final offer was, but the Angels final offer was for 8 years/$160 million and the Nationals made an offer for 8 years/ between $175-$184 million. Regardless the Yankees did not over bid for Teixeira, but Sabathia is another story.

EDIT:

The Boston Herald reported this a few days before Teixeira signed with the Yankees.

It’s unknown whether that will be enough to sway Teixeira, who has an eight-year offer from the Red Sox for a package worth more than $170 million.

So apparently the Washington National are no one? Sure their team sucks, and the team should probably go back to Montreal, but they still put a bid down on the guy. They tried, but failed. The Yankees didn't bid

Where did I say that the Nats didn't make a good offer? I simply said the Sox didn't want give him a guaranteed 8 year deal.

The Red Sox wanted Teixeira bad, that is clear as day, I don't know what there final offer was, but the Angels final offer was for 8 years/$160 million and the Nationals made an offer for 8 years/ between $175-$184 million. Regardless the Yankees did not over bid for Teixeira, but Sabathia is another story.

EDIT:

The Boston Herald reported this a few days before Teixeira signed with the Yankees.

Can you please post a source not named the Boston Herald?

Where did I say that the Nats didn't make a good offer? I simply said the Sox didn't want give him a guaranteed 8 year deal.

Umm.....I'm going to fault the Yankees for paying over market value for both ARod and Texiera.

The other 29 teams didn't bid against themselves like the Yankees did.

Are you now willing to admit the Yankees didn't go over market value for Teixeira?

8-10 for Varitek? LOL He'll be lucky to get 3-4 mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3782228

Red Sox executives flew to Texas on Thursday believing they were close enough in negotiations to complete a deal with Mark Teixeira. But after they arrived, they were informed that their offer to Teixeira -- something in the range of $165 million to $170 million-- was short by upwards of $25 million.

Obviously the Red Sox where serious bidders for Teixeira. There is no way around that.

Red Sox, Nationals, Angels, Yankees, and even the Orioles to some extent where in on the Teixeira sweepstakes. No one is saying the Yankees paid over market for him, with good reason.

If you want to talk about Sabathia, than okay.

The Sox had an 8 year deal in place for 168 million, with escalators for 2 optional years to bring the total contract somewhere around 210.

A few days before the signing Henry, to try and scare Teixeira into accepting the deal, much like the RS FO does when they know players don't want to play anywhere else, announced to the world that they weren't pursuing Teixeira anymore(A lie). Teixeira, a Boras client obvously cares about one thing-$$$$$, so it didn't even matter to him. Boras called the Yankees once, Cashman said 8/180, Boras called back saying Tex is probably going to be a Red Sox, Cashman didn't budge from his original offer, and by the end of the day Teixeira was a Yank.

Epstein was pissed they didnt get a chance to parlay, but I don't think they would have gone any higher.

BTW this topic is stupid. How bout we discuss Youk and Pedroia's Agents and how much they suck in getting money for their clients? Youk especially, because this was his one chance to cash in on FA and he ended up blowing it.

The Sox had an 8 year deal in place for 168 million, with escalators for 2 optional years to bring the total contract somewhere around 210.

A few days before the signing Henry, to try and scare Teixeira into accepting the deal, much like the RS FO does when they know players don't want to play anywhere else, announced to the world that they weren't pursuing Teixeira anymore(A lie). Teixeira, a Boras client obvously cares about one thing-$$$$$, so it didn't even matter to him. Boras called the Yankees once, Cashman said 8/180, Boras called back saying Tex is probably going to be a Red Sox, Cashman didn't budge from his original offer, and by the end of the day Teixeira was a Yank.

Epstein was pissed they didnt get a chance to parlay, but I don't think they would have gone any higher.

BTW this topic is stupid. How bout we discuss Youk and Pedroia's Agents and how much they suck in getting money for their clients? Youk especially, because this was his one chance to cash in on FA and he ended up blowing it.

Can you please post a legitimate source that states the Red Sox had that deal on the table? Thanks.

Can you please post a legitimate source that states the Red Sox had that deal on the table? Thanks.

Can't get any more legitimate than Peter Gammons and Buster Olney.

Unless you can post a legitimate source saying the Red Sox where never legitimate contenders for Teixeira, than you should admit you were wrong. Thanks.

Can't get any more legitimate than Peter Gammons and Buster Olney.

Unless you can post a legitimate source saying the Red Sox where never legitimate contenders for Teixeira, than you should admit you were wrong. Thanks.

What is your point?

Red Sox executives flew to Texas on Thursday believing they were close enough in negotiations to complete a deal with Mark Teixeira. But after they arrived, they were informed that their offer to Teixeira -- something in the range of $165 million to $170 million -- was short by upwards of $25 million.

With that, the Red Sox stepped away from the negotiating table.

Thanks for playing.

Seriously? Get a clue.

The fact that you took him serious is pretty bad.

And pretty sure one could argue Manny being a better hitter. But whatever.

Varitek would be a Met right now if it werent for the Type A compensation they would have had to give up.

Archived