Torre book on Yankee years.

GimmeShelter

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252009/news/regionalnews/torre_rips_a_fraud__boss_brass_bozos_151965.htm

Scorned skipper Joe Torre is blasting the Yankees - calling many of his former players prima donnas, confessing he stopped trusting the powers that be years before he left the team and charging that general manager Brian Cashman betrayed him.

In an explosive new book called "The Yankee Years," Torre gets most personal in his attacks against Alex Rodriguez, who he says was called "A-Fraud" by his teammates after he developed a "Single White Female"-like obsession with team captain Derek Jeter and asked for a personal clubhouse assistant to run errands for him.

Torre, who left the Yankees and became manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers after the 2007 season, says Cashman never told the brass that the manager wanted a two-year deal and instead remained silent during Torre's tense final sitdown with the bosses.

The book also reveals that, during spring training in 1999, team doctors revealed to owner George Steinbrenner that Torre had prostate cancer - even before informing the manager himself.

A father figure in the dugout, Torre became the second-winningest manager in Yankee history, bringing the team into postseason play every year from 1996 to 2007.

Torre spent years trying to bring out a winning performance from A-Rod, the highest-paid player in baseball, which from all reported accounts included a lot of hand-holding and battling the insecurities and demons Rodriguez struggles with.

And while the Bombers would win four world championships under Torre's watch by 2000, there were years of tension over management's choice of players and the growing silence between him and Yankee brass.

Torre's exit in the fall of 2007 came after a 20-minute meeting over his contract with Steinbrenner and other Yankee officials at the team's Tampa, Fla., office.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252009/news/regionalnews/torre_rips_a_fraud__boss_brass_bozos_151965.htm

Scorned skipper Joe Torre is blasting the Yankees - calling many of his former players prima donnas, confessing he stopped trusting the powers that be years before he left the team and charging that general manager Brian Cashman betrayed him.

In an explosive new book called "The Yankee Years," Torre gets most personal in his attacks against Alex Rodriguez, who he says was called "A-Fraud" by his teammates after he developed a "Single White Female"-like obsession with team captain Derek Jeter and asked for a personal clubhouse assistant to run errands for him.

Torre, who left the Yankees and became manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers after the 2007 season, says Cashman never told the brass that the manager wanted a two-year deal and instead remained silent during Torre's tense final sitdown with the bosses.

The book also reveals that, during spring training in 1999, team doctors revealed to owner George Steinbrenner that Torre had prostate cancer - even before informing the manager himself.

A father figure in the dugout, Torre became the second-winningest manager in Yankee history, bringing the team into postseason play every year from 1996 to 2007.

Torre spent years trying to bring out a winning performance from A-Rod, the highest-paid player in baseball, which from all reported accounts included a lot of hand-holding and battling the insecurities and demons Rodriguez struggles with.

And while the Bombers would win four world championships under Torre's watch by 2000, there were years of tension over management's choice of players and the growing silence between him and Yankee brass.

Torre's exit in the fall of 2007 came after a 20-minute meeting over his contract with Steinbrenner and other Yankee officials at the team's Tampa, Fla., office.

I read this in the Post and there really is nothing earth shattering

Hey Torre, STFU already. You never had a WS ring until you came to the Yankees and chances are you'll never see one again...what's the purpose of a "tell all book"?

You rejected a one year 5 mil contract two years ago...sorry, I don't feel bad for you. Enjoy Cali.

Torre is hurting his reputation with Yankee fans, I hope he knows that.

I don't think so, the stuff he said about A-Fraud was right on the money IMO. I think most fans will welcome him back. Still think he should be coaching the Yanks.

I don't think so, the stuff he said about A-Fraud was right on the money IMO. I think most fans will welcome him back. Still think he should be coaching the Yanks.

What was Torre before he came to the Yanks? They surrounded him with players he could win with every year. In my opinion, he thought he was bigger than the organization...I see no purpose with the book.

We'll see how well he does with the Dodgers...and Manny saved his season last year.

]What was Torre before he came to the Yanks? They surrounded him with players he could win with every year. In my opinion, he thought he was bigger than the organization...I see no purpose with the book.

We'll see how well he does with the Dodgers...and Manny saved his season last year.

I agree, although I think he has the personality to coach this team now, also IMO it all went down hill once they traded for A-Rod and started overpaying for losers. I rue the day he was traded to the Yanks, but its all water under the bridge now....

Torre was asleep on the bench his last 5 years or so as Yankees manager sohe probably didnt even realize what went on, but somebody needs to splash an espresso over his face and explain to him he was an utter failure his last fewyears with the Yanks and was at the helm of a 3-0 series lead collapse.

If Torre wants to be praised for his success he had iwth us (which he deserves) then he better acknowledge his failures in his latter years and try to understand the Yankees wanting to go in another direction.

A tell all book is pretty weak. I thought Joe was above this, but he is obviously just another woe-is-me prima donna.

I hate Michael Kaye and don't usually agree with him on a lot of things, but I'll say this: he's right about the whole "St. Joe" rep that Torre doesn't deserve. This just proves it.

When you're a baseball manager you really only have one important job; managing the pen. And when you can't do that it's time to go.

What was Torre before he came to the Yanks? They surrounded him with players he could win with every year. In my opinion, he thought he was bigger than the organization...I see no purpose with the book.

What were the Yanks before Torre came to them? A team that went almost 20 years without a World Series appearance.

What were the Yanks before Torre came to them? A team that went almost 20 years without a World Series appearance.

A team on the verge of greatness. Torre got lucky. He landed with a team with future franchise players, and future Hall of Famers. Everything was in place for the 90's run before he got there. Remember, the Yankees where a pretty good team in '94 and '95.

A team on the verge of greatness. Torre got lucky. He landed with a team with future franchise players, and future Hall of Famers. Everything was in place for the 90's run before he got there. Remember, the Yankees where a pretty good team in '94 and '95.

I know, Donnie probably gets a ring if not for the strike.

If that team was so great despite, not because of, the manager, do you believe Showalter wins 4 titles?

I know, Donnie probably gets a ring if not for the strike.

If that team was so great despite, not because of, the manager, do you believe Showalter wins 4 titles?

Probably. In my opinion Torre is an "okay mananger". In my opinion there a 2 aspects of managing a team. It's managing the bullpen, and managing the personalities in the clubhouse. Torre is awful at managing the bullpen, just awful, especially in the last few years. On the other hand he is great at managing all those big personalities in the clubhouse. He is perfect for a team that has all those stars on the team, but in the end his in game managing got the best of him. I felt it was time for a different voice, I don't know yet, if Girardi is the man for the clubhouse, but I do know he's really good at managing the bullpen.

I am as big a Yankee fans as they come, and you guys are playing revisionist history here..to think any other manager could have made that '96 team into a champion is insanity.

Torre made all the right moves and did not have a superstar at every position.

Unreal for you guys to infer that Torre success with the Yankees was opportunistic at best. You should be ashamed of yourselves as Yankee fans tripping over yourselves to defend the owners.

Torre had so much more to do with the success of the team than anyone lets on....how did they do without him?

A Postseason choke the year before and then missing the playoffs for the first time in years.

I think Torre should keep his mouth shut to help his lecagy, and this book definitely takes the bloom off his rose, but to turn on him is to have no clue as to how important Torre was to the Yankee success..and from two guys who I have seem bleed nothing but pinstripes on these boards it just boggles my mind how you two can turn on him so quickly.

By the way, I suspect a large majority of this book is about the great times he had with the Yankees, obviously that wont get much play by the wolves.

I'm sure there's 2-3 paragraphs that are going to get all the pub.

I've gotten to know Steve Swindal pretty well, he has some great stories.

I am as big a Yankee fans as they come, and you guys are playing revisionist history here..to think any other manager could have made that '96 team into a champion is insanity.

Unreal for you guys to infer that Torre success with the Yankees was opportunistic at best. You should be ashamed of yourselves as Yankee fans tripping over yourselves to defend the owners.

Torre had so much more to do with the success of the team than anyone lets on....how did they do without him?

A Postseason choke the year before and then missing the playoffs for the first time in years.

I think Torre should keep his mouth shut to help his lecagy, and this book definitely takes the bloom off his rose, but to turn on him is to have no clue as to how important Torre was to the Yankee success..and from two guys who I have seem bleed nothing but pinstripes on these boards it just boggles my mind how you two can turn on him so quickly.

Sorry, I disagree, the pieces where in place.

so every manager benches Wade Boggs? Every Manager has the confidence in Andy Pettitte as Torre did? Did you watch games that season or are you more seeing it in retrospect.....

You are giving Torre way to much credit. The credit should go to the guys who built those teams, notably Gene Michael.

What was Torre before he came to the Yankees? Obviously he gets some credit, because I do think he sometimes pushes the right buttons, but it's obvious Torre found himself in a good position from the get go.

He's just awful at managing a bullpen, and that is a HUGE part of the job, after losing to Marlins, the Red Sox, even being up 3-0, and the Tigers... he should of been let go.

By the way, Manny Ramirez bailed him out in LA this season, but even Manny didn't help him manage the bullpen in the post season.

You are giving Torre way to much credit. The credit should go to the guys who built those teams, notably Gene Michael.

What was Torre before he came to the Yankees? Obviously he gets some credit, because I do think he sometimes pushes the right buttons, but it's obvious Torre found himself in a good position from the get go.

He's just awful at managing a bullpen, and that is a HUGE part of the job, after losing to Marlins, the Red Sox, even being up 3-0, and the Tigers... he should of been let go.

By the way, Manny Ramirez bailed him out in LA this season, but even Manny didn't help him manage the bullpen in the post season.

I am just saying he had more to do with the success of the Yankees than you guys are letting on.....you guys make it sound as if anyone could have gotten the results that Torre got.

The Yankees had a superior bullpen in '08 than in '07 and yet Torre was able to get that team to the playoffs...with how 2007 went you really think any manager could have gotten those same results?

Funny stuff...I've been a Yankees fan for 6 decades and I should be ashamed of myself? I saw more WS championships before Torre came along. Like I said earlier, what's the purpose of a "tell all book"? Kind of ironic it's coming out now just before spring training. You don't think he's trying to create a little controversy in the Yankees clubhouse? No, not Mr. God All Mighty Torre...he's too good for that.:rolleyes:

Funny stuff...I've been a Yankees fan for 6 decades and I should be ashamed of myself? I saw more WS championships before Torre came along. Like I said earlier, what's the purpose of a "tell all book"? Kind of ironic it's coming out now just before spring training. You don't think he's trying to create a little controversy in the Yankees clubhouse? No, not Mr. God All Mighty Torre...he's too good for that.:rolleyes:

that isn't what I was talking about,..I think the book is a big mistake and it will tarnish his image among Yankee fans...

my point was the lack of respect for his accomplishments here.

that isn't what I was talking about,..I think the book is a big mistake and it will tarnish his image among Yankee fans...

my point was the lack of respect for his accomplishments here.

Respect goes both ways, Yankees gave him a chance, when no else would. If it wasn't for the Yankees he wouldn't be Joe Torre everyone thinks off. When he goes into the Hall of Fame, it will be as a Yankee manager, it will be in a Yankee hat. He's not going in as a player or manager with the Braves, Cardinals, Mets, or Dodgers. Everyone remembers and will remember him as the manager during the Yankees 90's run, and he should be thankful to the Yankees, for giving him that opportunity. By the way, I'm 100% positive he is thankful, because I believe Joe Torre is a class guy, and no one should be able to wear #6.

Respect goes both ways, Yankees gave him a chance, when no else would. If it wasn't for the Yankees he wouldn't be Joe Torre everyone thinks off. When he goes into the Hall of Fame, it will be as a Yankee manager, it will be in a Yankee hat. He's not going in as a player or manager with the Braves, Cardinals, Mets, or Dodgers. Everyone remembers and will remember him as the manager during the Yankees 90's run, and he should be thankful to the Yankees, for giving him that opportunity. By the way, I'm 100% positive he is thankful, because I believe Joe Torre is a class guy, and no one should be able to wear #6.

You know what though, it's going to be a long while before he's invited to the new YS...just a guess.

Archived