Where did Coles lose us?

lancemehl

Not that it takes much to get loved one minute and s$#tted on the very next here, but when did we really lose Coles.

We loved him at first, hated to see him go, loved him when he came back. He's a tough son of a B, he makes clutch grabs, then he started pouted about Penny, was that it?

He dropped a few passes, was that when we hated him?

or was it just a combination of it all. I remember the 6td game, we loved him, so was it after that?

Now everyone here, to a man, hates him and wants him off the team.

when did that occur? (sorry, u know I'm slow), he!!, I still like Penny, I even wanted to keep Keyshawn!!LOL so i need help with these things.(like hating players.)

Imagine we got TO or Ochocinco, oh my Goodness.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it was all the whining! And not backing it up on the field!

I repeat, imagine getting TO or Ocho?

The whining I heard was minimal, he certainly is a low to moderate whiner, but unlike the bigtime whiners, he's a tough player.

He had VERY, VERY limited time with Brett, more than everyone, but, OK.......thanks for the answer

Not that it takes much to get loved one minute and s$#tted on the very next here, but when did we really lose Coles.

We loved him at first, hated to see him go, loved him when he came back. He's a tough son of a B, he makes clutch grabs, then he started pouted about Penny, was that it?

He dropped a few passes, was that when we hated him?

or was it just a combination of it all. I remember the 6td game, we loved him, so was it after that?

Now everyone here, to a man, hates him and wants him off the team.

when did that occur? (sorry, u know I'm slow), he!!, I still like Penny, I even wanted to keep Keyshawn!!LOL so i need help with these things.(like hating players.)

Imagine we got TO or Ochocinco, oh my Goodness.

For me, I was happy when he WENT to the Redskins... I thought that was one of Bradway's best moves as GM... (putting Coles as a mid tender so someone would bite instead of a high one)..

I think it's a mix of age, whining, not being a leader, failing to make everyone around him better, people who think he's holding the Jets back, too small, not fast, and hurt a lot.

Pick your reason from the list I've heard them all, put me in the age/not making the other WR better, and hurt a lot camp. He's getting on the other side of 30 and still has not stepped up and become an elite level WR just above average. A great WR makes the rest of his teams job easier, as a D focuses on him it gives the other guys a little more room making it easier to make a catch or get open. He's been hurt the last few seasons, he plays hurt which is great when it's a minor nagging thing, but when it's affecting you on the field it's stubborn because your not helping the team when you can't make the plays.

Am I the only who thinks this Coles "whining" thing gets totally blown out of proportion? Sure he came out about how It has become it's own entity. It's really not that bad, what has he really ever said that was that bad? Coles pretty much avoids the media, so what? His play down the stretch diminished but how much of that was also on Favre. I don't get what the big deal is on Coles.

Am I the only who thinks this Coles "whining" thing gets totally blown out of proportion? Sure he came out about how It has become it's own entity. It's really not that bad, what has he really ever said that was that bad? Coles pretty much avoids the media, so what? His play down the stretch diminished but how much of that was also on Favre. I don't get what the big deal is on Coles.

Nope - I agree with you. I wore my 87 jersey every week and will do so again next year. Coles was underutilized this season and still commands a two defenders when he is on the field. He's tough, he wants to win, he complains when the team is not winning. His personality demands a foe - he thrives on proving someone wrong - so he comes off the way he does. I'm okay with Coles - I think he gets a bad wrap.

Nope - I agree with you. I wore my 87 jersey every week and will do so again next year. Coles was underutilized this season and still commands a two defenders when he is on the field. He's tough, he wants to win, he complains when the team is not winning. His personality demands a foe - he thrives on proving someone wrong - so he comes off the way he does. I'm okay with Coles - I think he gets a bad wrap.

Coles hasn't commanded 2 defenders in his entire career.

Exactly...

He's solid, that's about it.

He's not tall, he's not particularly fast, and his hands aren't great. His greatest attribute is his 'toughness', which is a great attribute to have, but probably not by far and away the most important one for a receiver to have.

I repeat, imagine getting TO or Ocho?

The whining I heard was minimal, he certainly is a low to moderate whiner, but unlike the bigtime whiners, he's a tough player.

He had VERY, VERY limited time with Brett, more than everyone, but, OK.......thanks for the answer

He whines and puts up average statistics, statistics of a #2 or #3 receiver. Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens will "whine" and walk onto the field and score 10+ TD's and put up 1,000 yards with ease. He was a #1 for about two seasons in his entire career and even then wasn't even a guy on the level of Owens or Johnson, never commanding the double team.

For me it was really back in 2005 when he began dogging it on the field once the team decided that Bollinger was the starter. After an offseason of complaining about being in Washington and then wanting more money when he finally got a trade that was a little too much. I'll always admire Coles for playing through injuries and pain, but the problem is he only is willing to do that when things are going his way. Players like Wayne Chrebet went 110% regardless of who the QB was, what the team record was, and whether or not his number was always being called in the huddle. I think I expected that from Coles and really never got it.

For me it was really back in 2005 when he began dogging it on the field once the team decided that Bollinger was the starter. After an offseason of complaining about being in Washington and then wanting more money when he finally got a trade that was a little too much. I'll always admire Coles for playing through injuries and pain, but the problem is he only is willing to do that when things are going his way. Players like Wayne Chrebet went 110% regardless of who the QB was, what the team record was, and whether or not his number was always being called in the huddle. I think I expected that from Coles and really never got it.

I agree - Chrebet was a one in a million player.

I think Coles does get a bad rap from Jets fans. He's a good reciever, not elite but good. Like others have said his "whining" gets blown out of proportion IMO. He's not an elite WR but neither is Cotchery to be honest and in fact I'd say Coles is every bit as good as JC if not better. They're both good but they're similar in what they're good at. If we had someone, anyone, who could provide a deep threat so defenders could at least be cleared out a little, I think you'd see both of their stats go way up. The problem is teams know what Coles/Cotch bring to the table which is not much beyond 20-25 yards. It's easy to defend that combination.

I think Coles does get a bad rap from Jets fans. He's a good reciever, not elite but good. Like others have said his "whining" gets blown out of proportion IMO. He's not an elite WR but neither is Cotchery to be honest and in fact I'd say Coles is every bit as good as JC if not better. They're both good but they're similar in what they're good at. If we had someone, anyone, who could provide a deep threat so defenders could at least be cleared out a little, I think you'd see both of their stats go way up. The problem is teams know what Coles/Cotch bring to the table which is not much beyond 20-25 yards. It's easy to defend that combination.

This is exactly right.

Coles doesn't suck. He's pretty good. He'd be an excellent #2.

i personally can care less about the whining and baby bull****. but when your play on the field goes downhill because of it then i have a problem. i don't hate coles...he's just not a #1 receiver anymore...and we need a #1 receiver on this team. but we also need a qb......

I said CONSISTENT double teams.

Look at definition #3: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/consistent

Ok, I was not going to be a prick and say "well, I didn't play Class A baseball for a year", but since you decided to be a douche and post a link to a definition....well, I still won't actually say it. But I guess I sorta did. Anyway, I am fully aware of the definition of consistent, but thanks for the link.

You're original statement was this:

Originally Posted by aec4 viewpost.gif

Which is what I called BS on.

Coles draws two defenders more than 50% of the time, which is close enough to consistent for me in football terms.

I think that Coles could be an excellent slot receiver - that's what he's destined for if the Jets can get a big, fast receiver in the draft or via free agency.

Ok, I was not going to be a prick and say "well, I didn't play Class A baseball for a year", but since you decided to be a douche and post a link to a definition....well, I still won't actually say it. But I guess I sorta did. Anyway, I am fully aware of the definition of consistent, but thanks for the link.

Coles draws two defenders more than 50% of the time, which is close enough to consistent for me in football terms.

I think that Coles could be an excellent slot receiver - that's what he's destined for if the Jets can get a big, fast receiver in the draft or via free agency.

idk if it will happen....but if we can get a truw #1 (anotnio bryant please) then i'd love to see us lining up 3 wide alot with #1, coles and cotch.

Using your argument (as stupid as it is), any receiver who has run a deep pattern against the Cover 2 would now be noted as commanding a double team.

Commanding a double team is a lot different than being doubled on a particular deep sideline pattern.

Be a prick if you want.. if you think the stupid baseball comments you guys make bother me... all they do is prove that you have no merits to your argument that you have to change the topic.

I think Coles is a very insecure guy. He had a support system of friends that he was drafted with (Chad, Abraham, Ellis) and then a big brother in Herm the next year. He goes to Washington for money, is not happy, and came back to that same support system. Then Herm and Abraham leave. The whinning starts. Then Chad, his best friend and QB leaves. The whinning got worse. I predict it will only be worse with Ryan, who doesn't seem like the motherly type.

I hope they do not extend his contract. As it is, he will have no dead money if he is cut or traded after this year. Hopefully, the Jets will either draft a replacement for him for 2010 and/or Stuckey/Clowney step up. Coles has lost a couple of steps. His age, concussion history and whining should make them not want to extend his contract.

I think Coles is a very insecure guy. He had a support system of friends that he was drafted with (Chad, Abraham, Ellis) and then a big brother in Herm the next year. He goes to Washington for money, is not happy, and came back to that same support system. Then Herm and Abraham leave. The whinning starts. Then Chad, his best friend and QB leaves. The whinning got worse. I predict it will only be worse with Ryan, who doesn't seem like the motherly type.

I hope they do not extend his contract. As it is, he will have no dead money if he is cut or traded after this year. Hopefully, the Jets will either draft a replacement for him for 2010 and/or Stuckey/Clowney step up. Coles has lost a couple of steps. His age, concussion history and whining should make them not want to extend his contract.

He's a FA after this year... So we wouldn't get the chance to cut him :)

Using your argument (as stupid as it is), any receiver who has run a deep pattern against the Cover 2 would now be noted as commanding a double team.

Commanding a double team is a lot different than being doubled on a particular deep sideline pattern.

Be a prick if you want.. if you think the stupid baseball comments you guys make bother me... all they do is prove that you have no merits to your argument that you have to change the topic.

I said I was not going to be a prick, but you are working on a good case of it. You should lighten up and not get so defensive, it's not good for your health.

You're making a huge assumption that every team the Jets play are playing Cover 2 - is that really the case or just a convenient was to make your point. I think it is the latter. Coverages against the Jets - more often than not - roll toward Coles' side of the field. Cover two, cover three, cover one - that's where the defensive is cheating toward most of the time.

Archived