****Official NCAA Football signing day anticipation thread****

gangreenman

Signing day officially Wednesday, feb 4th. Lots of visits and verbals going down right about now in anticipation.

Syracuse got 5 verbals today... Looks like we're beginning to tap into the FLA pipeline finally. Two verbals from 3 star recruits out of FLA today. 'Bout time we got someone in here that knows the importance of recruiting!!

Signing day officially Wednesday, feb 4th. Lots of visits and verbals going down right about now in anticipation.

Syracuse got 5 verbals today... Looks like we're beginning to tap into the FLA pipeline finally. Two verbals from 3 star recruits out of FLA today. 'Bout time we got someone in here that knows the importance of recruiting!!

ya , it will be fun,,i a msure some of the big dogs will have a few signing day surprises

current team rankings:

scout

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2009[url=http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=9&c=14&view=1&yr=2009]

rivals

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

Big east rankings..syracuse needs to step it up in last week

currently last in BE, and 93rd overall,,robinson really hosed them per scout,,rivals has em worse at 106 and last in BE..ouch!!!!

Great point by Butch Davis on over-reacting to a skilled kid who has had benefits early on (one of reasons why Butch and Saban are great at recruiting. They get the studs, but also a few diamonds in rough)

Make your own evaluation.

The ability to see a skinny 16-year-old for what he could be at 21 is, as Davis put it, "the craft and the art of evaluation." The trick is to learn what to value and what to ignore.

Tommy Tuberville, looking for work after 14 years at Ole Miss and Auburn, described an evaluator as part geneticist.

"How much weight can he gain?" Tuberville asked. "You're looking at his parents, looking at his brothers and sisters."

Davis said the facilities that the player has available to him in high school can lay a trap for a recruiter.

"You may be buying the finished product," Davis said. "There's a little bit of that in Texas. Those schools have got more money than God. They have a strength coach, 15 high school coaches. The players have been in the same program since sixth or seventh grade. You get them and four years later they are the exact same player.

"You go to Pahokee, Fla., where a kid eats once a day, his parents may not be around," Davis said. "You get him in a weightlifting program. Two years later, he's three times better than the kid from Texas."

No 1 All purpose RB in the nation has de-committed from Tennessee and is now between Syracuse and Auburn. RB isnt necessarily a position of need for Cuse, but he is a top 100 rated recruit, and Marrone was only hired as HC in mid December. For Oku to be even considering Cuse, especially given where hes from (Oklahoma), and how bad Cuse has been recently, really speaks volumes about the type of recruiter Marrone is.

If we land Oku, it will not only be a great boost to our backfield, but it will give this CS a solid recruit to build on in years to come.

No 1 All purpose RB in the nation has de-committed from Tennessee and is now between Syracuse and Auburn. RB isnt necessarily a position of need for Cuse, but he is a top 100 rated recruit, and Marrone was only hired as HC in mid December. For Oku to be even considering Cuse, especially given where hes from (Oklahoma), and how bad Cuse has been recently, really speaks volumes about the type of recruiter Marrone is.

If we land Oku, it will not only be a great boost to our backfield, but it will give this CS a solid recruit to build on in years to come.

he decommitted due to spread offense kiffin said he will run..

oku wants to be lone featured back so he is looking for places to suit him,,would be agood pickup ,,but i hear he wont sign today,,he is pushing out, which can be abad sign that he doesnt have grades and is looking at prep school,,

he decommitted due to spread offense kiffin said he will run..

oku wants to be lone featured back so he is looking for places to suit him,,would be agood pickup ,,but i hear he wont sign today,,he is pushing out, which can be abad sign that he doesnt have grades and is looking at prep school,,

No. He's pushing out because he wants to think over the two options, and make the right choice. Keep in mind, his 1st visit to Syracuse was two weekends ago and his first visit to Auburn was this past weekend. He needs time to think it over. Also, he may be waiting for some more last minute offers from other programs whose RB's may have opted out on their verbals and signed elsewhere. If the choice does stay between Cuse and Auburn, its advantage Syracuse. Auburn will eventually get fed up with the waiting game and turn to someone else. Syracuse has no one else they can turn to.

The longer this drags out the better it is for Syracuse, IMHO.

And one more thing: The day before he made his visit to Syracuse, he said he was 95% certain he was going to stick with UT... After the visit, in which he was given front row seats to the Syracuse/ND basketball game (crowd of over 30,000), a 19 point win for Syracuse in which Marrone gave an introductory speech at halftime, which was met with a huge ovation from the crowd. After the visit, Oku was quoted as saying "Im 50-50 about going to UT". Thats when he scheduled the visit to Auburn. Marrone is a no nonsense type recruiter, recruits love his optimism and his no BS attitude he uses when recruiting them. He's honest, he says what he believes, and he's to the point. No fluff, No crap. His NFL experience has also helped.

Thats how he already has stole away recruits from Lville, Wisoconsin, Michigan, and Florida State.... And its only his 3rd month on the job. If he can land Oku this season, Im really looking forward to what they guy might accomplish in the future.

syracuse picked up 2 today,,good job with late start by marrone

8:56 a.m. The Doug Marrone era has begun at Syracuse University and this morning Marrone inked his first two players for the Orange. Groton (Mass.) Lawrence Academy quarterback Charley Loeb was the first member of the class of 2009 to sign with the Orange. Loeb was followed by local (Christian Brothers Academy) offensive lineman Andy Phillips

:rl:

he probably has grade issues or someone is 'hiding' him,,aka Butch davis or nick saban

Nobody is hiding him. According to ESPN Insider recruiting, he is not even accepting e-mails or phone calls from any coaches today, and that he has no plan to make a decision today, if at all this week.

But, for the record, Auburn already has gotten fed up with the waiting game...Signed a 5 star, #15 rated RB in the nation earlier today... Looks like its either going to be UT or SU for Oku.

Nobody is hiding him. According to ESPN Insider recruiting, he is not even accepting e-mails or phone calls from any coaches today, and that he has no plan to make a decision today, if at all this week.

But, for the record, Auburn already has gotten fed up with the waiting game...Signed a 5 star, #15 rated RB in the nation earlier today... Looks like its either going to be UT or SU for Oku.

i am tellin u ,, this is almost always, 90%, a sign of grades problem (with being hidden a 10% chance) ,,he may go to prep school and stay a free agent so to speak...

i am tellin u ,, this is almost always, 90%, a sign of grades problem (with being hidden a 10% chance) ,,he may go to prep school and stay a free agent so to speak...

I don't know. I've been reading a lot about the kid recently and haven't heard or seen a word about grades being an issue. Auburn signed 3 RB recruits today, and 1 of them a 5 star. Brian Bennett on ESPN just reported that he will not be going to UT.

All the sites have his three interested listed as Tennessee, Auburn, and Syracuse. If Bennett is correct about UT being completely out of the mix, I'm very optimistic about him signing on at some point in the next few days!!!

I don't know. I've been reading a lot about the kid recently and haven't heard or seen a word about grades being an issue. Auburn signed 3 RB recruits today, and 1 of them a 5 star. Brian Bennett on ESPN just reported that he will not be going to UT.

All the sites have his three interested listed as Tennessee, Auburn, and Syracuse. If Bennett is correct about UT being completely out of the mix, I'm very optimistic about him signing on at some point in the next few days!!!

u may sign him next year ...

u may sign him next year ...

What makes you so sure?

He could commit tomorrow for all we know. I don't think grades are an issue or teams would be taking the "stay away" approach. Thats not happening. He has offers from about 5 schools... But only has serious interest in UT, Auburn and 'Cuse. Auburn and Syracuse both had him on official visits the past two weekends. That wouldn't happen with a kid they're not sure would qualify grade-wise.

My guess is he was told by Auburn to wait and see if they landed their top prospects. They did, which would mean AU wouldn't fit. He may get another offer sometime today or tomorrow from a school who got robbed of one of their verbals... We shall see.

What makes you so sure?

He could commit tomorrow for all we know. I don't think grades are an issue or teams would be taking the "stay away" approach. Thats not happening. He has offers from about 5 schools... But only has serious interest in UT, Auburn and 'Cuse. Auburn and Syracuse both had him on official visits the past two weekends. That wouldn't happen with a kid they're not sure would qualify grade-wise.

My guess is he was told by Auburn to wait and see if they landed their top prospects. They did, which would mean AU wouldn't fit. He may get another offer sometime today or tomorrow from a school who got robbed of one of their verbals... We shall see.

haha

not good..seen this amillion times..

he just had apresser where he said he might not sign till end of month and he has re-opened his recruitment to other schools..

I have seen this a million times,,when a 4/5 star kid does this late it means he hasnt cleared clearinghosue or there is a grade problem..

haha

not good..seen this amillion times..

he just had apresser where he said he might not sign till end of month and he has re-opened his recruitment to other schools..

I have seen this a million times,,when a 4/5 star kid does this late it means he hasnt cleared clearinghosue or there is a grade problem..

Where did you see/read this presser? Have a link?

The Ducks put together a pretty solid class at the end and I'm psyched about all the defensive prospects we signed. Stealing Diante Jackson from Colorado was huge for us because he will become a stud WR. Now if we could only get Gaines and Bryce Brown to commit our recruiting class would be perfect.

final rankings of the two power services..minor tweaks over next day or so...

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2009

USC and Florida won title of best average rated player taken...

the yhad smaller classes, 20 and 16 so overall team rankings were gonna suffer, but yhey brought in the best average rated players..

USC and Florida won title of best average rated player taken...

the yhad smaller classes, 20 and 16 so overall team rankings were gonna suffer, but yhey brought in the best average rated players..

I'll still take BAMA with their 27 recruits. Makes for better competition which brings out the best in players.

I'll still take BAMA with their 27 recruits. Makes for better competition which brings out the best in players.

missin point,,its about star qusality over time..

bama will have a smaller class next yera due to available scholly so they wont be able to get huge reviews due to lower #s..

Its cyclical,,big class cause of lots of graduations, small class due to not many leavin ear;ly for NFL..

so in long run, its all about teh quality of player as the #s all even out as far as class size over time...

thats why its impressive when u see these programs get a high team ranking even though they signed 4/5/6 less kids..

this year , the 3 highest rated teams a sfar as quality talent were USC/Georg/Florida,,and they signed only 19, 18 and 16 kids ..thats pretty impressive ...

Archived