2009 NFL Draft (Defense)

Pragmatic Bus

-There's almost no chance we take any 1st round 3-4 OLBs so I don't see Orakpo or Brown. Pace, Gholston, and Thomas make it financially impracticle.

-I really don't want Laurinaitus. He seems like a good 4-3 MLB to me but is a little soft for the 3-4. He'll have a lot of trouble shedding blocks and will struggle in similar ways that Vilma did in the scheme.

-Moore is ok but I'd rather not waste a 1st on him. I don't think we need a one-dimensional inside the box safety considering our main weakness was in coverage. If he fell to us in the 2nd the value would be hard to pass on but definitely not at 17.

-Did you leave out the top 3-4 DE prospect Tyson Jackson accidently or did you only want late round d-lineman? Wouldn't mind him at 17 depending on who else was available.

Please, no more Ohio State linebackers. Especially the overrated ones. And yet, I repeat myself.

AJ hawk is far from overated, and just because JL is from ohio doesnt mean he will be a bust

-There's almost no chance we take any 1st round 3-4 OLBs so I don't see Orakpo or Brown. Pace, Gholston, and Thomas make it financially impracticle.

-I really don't want Laurinaitus. He seems like a good 4-3 MLB to me but is a little soft for the 3-4. He'll have a lot of trouble shedding blocks and will struggle in similar ways that Vilma did in the scheme.

-Moore is ok but I'd rather not waste a 1st on him. I don't think we need a one-dimensional inside the box safety considering our main weakness was in coverage. If he fell to us in the 2nd the value would be hard to pass on but definitely not at 17.

-Did you leave out the top 3-4 DE prospect Tyson Jackson accidently or did you only want late round d-lineman? Wouldn't mind him at 17 depending on who else was available.

actually laurinitus will do fine in the 3-4, he needs some pro coaching and he will do fine.

also u can never have enuff pass rushers and if a value pick like orakpo drops down to the 17th u have to consider that pick.

one dimensional inside the box safety because we need coverage help? <-----please be more clear

i couldn't find any youtube on tyson jackson to post. lot of the players i have not posted here have no youtube highlights

we should have a shot at them in later rounds but i also wanted kendal langsford last year to add to the depth and miami got him first. NFL is a funny bussiness :happy0069:

yeah i was wishing for us to get Kendall Langford last year too...Parcells scooped him up though...

AJ hawk is far from overated, and just because JL is from ohio doesnt mean he will be a bust

actually laurinitus will do fine in the 3-4, he needs some pro coaching and he will do fine.

also u can never have enuff pass rushers and if a value pick like orakpo drops down to the 17th u have to consider that pick.

one dimensional inside the box safety because we need coverage help? <-----please be more clear

i couldn't find any youtube on tyson jackson to post. lot of the players i have not posted here have no youtube highlights

Laurainitus has trouble taking on blockers. Any player can be coached up but I don't see that as a strength with him and that's very important for a 3-4 ILB. I don't want a MLB that will have trouble shedding blocks. He's good in coverage but, again, I see him having the similar problems that Vilma did in the 3-4. He's more suited as a 4-3 MLB to take advantage of his range. I guess he could do a solid job at it, but it wouldn't play to his strengths and would waste his talents to a degree. That's not what I want from a 1st round pick. Even though I don't like him, I'd much rather have Maualuga over him.

With the 3-4 OLB, again, its financially impracticle to take one in the 1st. We shouldn't have 4 OLBs making big money since even if we could it would really limit our ability to spend elsewhere. Getting a project in the later rounds would make more sense IMO.

Moore is better off playing close to the LOS. I'd rather grab a safety whose strength is in coverage not the other way around. Rhodes is very effective around the LOS so its not like we're lacking in that area anyway.

Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5MeTrQ124Q;)

Laurainitus has trouble taking on blockers. Any player can be coached up but I don't see that as a strength with him and that's very important for a 3-4 ILB. I don't want a MLB that will have trouble shedding blocks. He's good in coverage but, again, I see him having the similar problems that Vilma did in the 3-4. He's more suited as a 4-3 MLB to take advantage of his range. I guess he could do a solid job at it, but it wouldn't play to his strengths and would waste his talents to a degree. That's not what I want from a 1st round pick. Even though I don't like him, I'd much rather have Maualuga over him.

With the 3-4 OLB, again, its financially impracticle to take one in the 1st. We shouldn't have 4 OLBs making big money since even if we could it would really limit our ability to spend elsewhere. Getting a project in the later rounds would make more sense IMO.

Moore is better off playing close to the LOS. I'd rather grab a safety whose strength is in coverage not the other way around. Rhodes is very effective around the LOS so its not like we're lacking in that area anyway.

Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5MeTrQ124Q;)

i dont know where ur getting this information but maulaluga can only play MLB in a 4-3 thats it, he even struggled in the senior bowl practice when they lined him up at 4-3 OLB, and also i dont know which tape you were watching but james lauranitus can absolutely shed blocks, he might not be patrick wilis but he can most definately play ball in 3-4

i'll also disagree with u on moore. moore is very versatile, he is a ball hawk with tremendous speed, incstincts, quickness, and ball skills.

i am not sure y he struggled this year (i dont have a lot of film on him) but from what i have seen he is deffinately in the mold of ed reed, even though i dont like comparing players to each other

i dont know where ur getting this information but maulaluga can only play MLB in a 4-3 thats it, he even struggled in the senior bowl practice when they lined him up at 4-3 OLB, and also i dont know which tape you were watching but james lauranitus can absolutely shed blocks, he might not be patrick wilis but he can most definately play ball in 3-4

He didn't look amazing at the senior bowl but to say he can only play 4-3 makes no sense to me. Are we looking at the same player? He's better suited for the 3-4 if anything. Most of his strengths lend themselves to that scheme and his weaknesses are covered up to a degree.

Strengths: great size, good strength, can take on blockers, good against the run, etc.

-Do these not fit well with what 3-4 ILBs are asked to do?

Weaknesses: limited range, over agressive, weak in coverage, a bit stiff, etc.

-Are some of these weaknesses not covered up in the 3-4?

And about Laurainitus, like I said, I think he'd be adequate in the 3-4 but it would be hindering his strengths. Why try to force him in there and limit his abilities? I don't like taking players and not emphasizing their positives.

i'll also disagree with u on moore. moore is very versatile, he is a ball hawk with tremendous speed, incstincts, quickness, and ball skills.

i am not sure y he struggled this year (i dont have a lot of film on him) but from what i have seen he is deffinately in the mold of ed reed, even though i dont like comparing players to each other

Moore is not Ed Reed, that's a considerable exaggeration. He also didn't show tremendous speed or quickness this season or in the senior bowl. He seems to have trouble staying with receivers downfield. He does have solid ball skills though. It could be that he's a bit overweight and that's partially why he struggled a bit in coverage this year. He can do fine at his current weight but 223lbs is some what big and he might gain a little more speed if he trimmed down a bit.

Moore is not Ed Reed, that's a considerable exaggeration. He also didn't show tremendous speed or quickness this season or in the senior bowl. He seems to have trouble staying with receivers downfield. He does have solid ball skills though. It could be that he's a bit overweight and that's partially why he struggled a bit in coverage this year. He can do fine at his current weight but 223lbs is some what big and he might gain a little more speed if he trimmed down a bit.

William Moore struggled in coverage this year because he played with an injured ankle. Big concern because he was known as an excellent coverage safety. It never got better as the season progressed...if the injury heals he could be a steal in this draft...I would be excited if he fell to us as long as the ankle is not chronic.

He didn't look amazing at the senior bowl but to say he can only play 4-3 makes no sense to me. Are we looking at the same player? He's better suited for the 3-4 if anything. Most of his strengths lend themselves to that scheme and his weaknesses are covered up to a degree.

Strengths: great size, good strength, can take on blockers, good against the run, etc.

-Do these not fit well with what 3-4 ILBs are asked to do?

Weaknesses: limited range, over agressive, weak in coverage, a bit stiff, etc.

-Are some of these weaknesses not covered up in the 3-4?

And about Laurainitus, like I said, I think he'd be adequate in the 3-4 but it would be hindering his strengths. Why try to force him in there and limit his abilities? I don't like taking players and not emphasizing their positives.

i guess we will agree to disagree.

i guess we will agree to disagree.

Moore was a beast before this season, but he was absolutely terrible this past year and in the senior bowl. He was awful in coverage and had to play about 20 yards away from the LOS in order to not get burned. I think you may be holding onto how he played his junior year and prior, becuase his stock is rapidly falling.

If it's one thing that Mike Mayock knows it's WRs and most definitely DBs Mayock believes that Moore has been the most disappointing player at the Senior Bowl. "A decorated college safety, MooreMobile) that he might be a linebacker." appears to be sliding like Darnell Bing three years ago. "He

Moore was a beast before this season, but he was absolutely terrible this past year and in the senior bowl. He was awful in coverage and had to play about 20 yards away from the LOS in order to not get burned. I think you may be holding onto how he played his junior year and prior, becuase his stock is rapidly falling.

If it's one thing that Mike Mayock knows it's WRs and most definitely DBs Mayock believes that Moore has been the most disappointing player at the Senior Bowl. "A decorated college safety, MooreMobile) that he might be a linebacker." appears to be sliding like Darnell Bing three years ago. "He

• 1 month later...
William Moore struggled in coverage this year because he played with an injured ankle. Big concern because he was known as an excellent coverage safety. It never got better as the season progressed...if the injury heals he could be a steal in this draft...I would be excited if he fell to us as long as the ankle is not chronic.

Moore looks like he finally got healthy...considered preseason top 10 pick who played hurt all year...if he somehow falls to us in the second or (some scouts say he may fall further) possibly the third round we have to seriously consider...Hood is a stud who would also look good in Green and White.

The scouts just love going to Missouri’s pro day. They get lunch, the people are ultra friendly and it’s just a great stop. This year there are also several Tigers prospects worth watching. The offensive stars — QB Chase Daniel, TE Chase Coffman and WR Jeremy Maclin — will work out March 19, but a number of the defensive players ran drills.

One player who performed really well was S William Moore. He looked good in his positional drills and was impressive overall. He measured in at 6-foot and a 1/2-inch, 221 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 and 4.49 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds. He also posted a 10-foot, 6-inch broad jump.

Defensive tackle Evander ‘Ziggy’ Hood kept his 40 time from the combine, but did do the other drills. He ran the short shuttle in 4.45 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.32 seconds. He had 35 reps in the bench press, jumped 34 1/2 inches in the vertical and leaped 9-feet, 8-inches in the broad jump.

Defensive end Stryker Sulak kept all of his combine numbers and did position drills.

Linebacker Brock Christopher checked in at 6-1 5/8, 238 pounds. He ran the 40 in 4.92 and 4.93 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.34 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.32 seconds, as well as having a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot broad jump and 20 bench press reps.

– Gil Brandt

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/05/missouri-has-good-prospects-great-atmosphere/

Moore was timed in the low 4.4 range in the 40-yard dash and clocked 4.39 on at least one reading, several people confirmed. If that time was consistent among the scouts Moore might have re-established himself as one of the two or three best safeties available. Also, Moore hit 36

Moore looks like he finally got healthy...considered preseason top 10 pick who played hurt all year...if he somehow falls to us in the second or (some scouts say he may fall further) possibly the third round we have to seriously consider...Hood is a stud who would also look good in Green and White.

INJURIES CAN DEFFINATELY IMPACT PLAYER PERFORMANCES

Archived