What to do with Joba

piney

well..now that Andy has signed the Yankees have a great problem of more starters than rotation slots.

Right now, you have to assume that 1-4 in the rotation is CC, AJ, Wang, and Pettitte...

I think instead of handing the fifth spot to Joba there should be a competition.

My thinking is that although I want Joba to be in the rotation rather than the bullpen, if he is not slated to pitch 200+ innings, then having him pitch out of the rotation in April and May is a waste because he won't be available in Sept....unless they make him a five or six inning pitcher...which is counter-productive.

My dream scenario would be that Phil Hughes wins the five hole, and Joba slides into the back of the bullpen..and is an insurance policiy for AJ, Hughes, and Pettitte.....you would have a dynamite rotation with the 8th and 9th innings locked up....would make it very hard for opponents to score a lot of runs.....

I am conflicted though, I think Joba in the rotation makes that one impressive pitching staff....my only concern is that can Joba be around to pitch important innings in crunch time...does Ansy stunt Hughes growth...and does AJ stay healthy....

So, what do they do with Joba....

Nothing has changed, Hughes could use a bit more seasoning, and of course there will be injuries, so he'll get his chance.

Rotation:

1. CC Sabathia (LHP)

2. A.J. Burnett (RHP)

3. Chien-Ming Wang (RHP)

4. Andy Pettitte (LHP)

5. Joba Chamberlain (RHP)

Pitching prospect Mark Melancon (RHP) could be River's setup man sooner than later. The Yankees have a surplus of bullpen arms, that's a nice luxury to have. Girardi, who is very good at managing a bullpen, will root out the bad one's, and utilize the good one's.

Mariano Rivera (RHP)

Damaso Marte (LHP)

Brian Bruney (RHP)

Jose Veras (RHP)

Edwar Ramirez (RHP)

David Robertson (RHP)

Phil Coke (LHP)

Mark Melancon (RHP)

Humberto Sanchez (RHP)

Anthony Claggett (RHP)

J.B. Cox (RHP)

Ultimately what it gives them is flexibility. In the postseason if the top 4 in the rotation are looking good you can put Joba in the pen. (Yes I said postseason).

But this means Hughes isn't being handed a spot in the rotation out of spring training and that is a really good thing. Make them earn everything.

you can put Joba in the pen. (Yes I said postseason).

WHOA!

lets not get ahead of ourselves. after all, last season we only won like 70 games or something....or so it felt like :D

we have to jump BOTH the mighty Devil Rays and the Boston White Sox to make the playoffs

well..now that Andy has signed the Yankees have a great problem of more starters than rotation slots.

Right now, you have to assume that 1-4 in the rotation is CC, AJ, Wang, and Pettitte...

I think instead of handing the fifth spot to Joba there should be a competition.

My thinking is that although I want Joba to be in the rotation rather than the bullpen, if he is not slated to pitch 200+ innings, then having him pitch out of the rotation in April and May is a waste because he won't be available in Sept....unless they make him a five or six inning pitcher...which is counter-productive.

My dream scenario would be that Phil Hughes wins the five hole, and Joba slides into the back of the bullpen..and is an insurance policiy for AJ, Hughes, and Pettitte.....you would have a dynamite rotation with the 8th and 9th innings locked up....would make it very hard for opponents to score a lot of runs.....

I am conflicted though, I think Joba in the rotation makes that one impressive pitching staff....my only concern is that can Joba be around to pitch important innings in crunch time...does Ansy stunt Hughes growth...and does AJ stay healthy....

So, what do they do with Joba....

I like Hughes down the road but as of today a Joba-Hughes competition does not and should not even remotely exist. We have seen one dominate from jump street and the other get lit up to no end.

If Joba physically can handle the rigors of being a SP that's where you put him. There is no reason Andy Marte cannot handle the 8th inning along with one of the other young bullpen arms that may emerge....Veras, Robertson etc.

Let Phil continue to hone his skillls and hope for a Pelfrey like breakout in year 3. We've all seen flashes of what he can do and now with the staff the Yanks have assembled, give Hughes the proper seasoning.

Besides, with possible injuries always around the corner with guys like Burnett and Andy (due to age) along with the fact Joba is on a innings limit, we could easily see Phil play a prominent role down the stretch while Joba moves to the pen if he has met his innings restriction. Hughes is also likely slated for less innings than Joba after his past two seasons of injuries and to be honest Aceves showed to be much more deserving of consideration for the 5 spot last year anyway.

Cashman and Girardi meant it when they have said all off season that Hughes was NOT in their 09 rotation plans.

That's a hard pill to swallow given all the preseason 2008 "Generation Trey" talk but it is reality.

He cant pitch 200 innings, based on the limit, but can he even go to 180?

Why not start him out in the pen and then at some point in this season, back to a starter? This way he could still pitch as a starter in the postseason.

Do we really need to burn out the bullpen because special Joba can only go 5 innings? Sh#t doesnt make sense, sorry.

There is no way he can go the entire season as a starter. Not to mention the playoffs.

Why not?

He's probably set for 145-150 innings, they can easily work around that with him in the 5th spot. Skipping starts after days off, talking him out of the game early in blowouts, ect.

Why not?

He's probably set for 145-150 innings, they can easily work around that with him in the 5th spot. Skipping starts after days off, talking him out of the game early in blowouts, ect.

On paper that plan looks good, but lets be real, it wont work. And when he does pitch, whats he gonna do, go 5 or 6 innings so we can burnout the bullpen? Girardi is good with the pen but this is different. This might become a giant mess.

Might as well sign another starter and go with a 6 man rotation.

On paper that plan looks good, but lets be real, it wont work. And when he does pitch, whats he gonna do, go 5 or 6 innings so we can burnout the bullpen? Girardi is good with the pen but this is different. This might become a giant mess.

Might as well sign another starter and go with a 6 man rotation.

What do you think a long man is for? Alfredo Aceves can finish up.

He ran out of gas as a starter, you don't need him there, and he was the best setup man around. This shouldn't even be debated, but Girardi will find a way to screw it up.

1. Shoulder tendinitis doesn't mean he ran out of gas.

2. Joba is much more valuable in the rotation, and this isn't even debatable.

3. It isn't up to Girardi if he's a starter or reliever.

When Yankee fans see Melancon, all this whining about Joba to the pen will stop.

It's a nonsense theory anyway.

Its definitely not nonsense.

And as for it being called the 40 or 30 inning rule. I've heard it both way, I'm actually looking at an article in Sporting News' Fantasy edition and they refer to it as the 30 inning rule. So I said 30.

According to SN, This years red flags are;

John Lester +74

Ricky Nalasco +50

Glen Perkins +50

Tim Lincecum +49

Clayton Kershaw +49

Mike Pelfrey +48

Greg Smith +48

John Danks +45

Jair Jurrjens +45

Jonathan Sanchez +32

Gavin Floyd +31

The +'s are the amount of innings more they pitched in 08 then they did in 07.

People that violated the 30 inning rule in 07 and had DL stints are;

Ian Kennedy +61

Fausto Carmona +56

Ubaldo Jimenez +41

Tom Gorzelanny +40

Dustin McGowan +38

Chad Gaudin +36

Yovani Gallardo +33

Like everything there are exceptions on big one was Verlander in 05-06 had +77. Pitched great in 07.

According to theory these pitchers shouldn't go over these innings...

Volstad - 205

Cueto - 204

LeBlanc - 190

Reyes - 190

Hughes - 176

Price - 159

Joba - 146

Joba Chamberlain pitching in the rotation isn't simply about whether the team needs him there or not. We have someone who has demonstrated on the ML level the potential to be a frontline SP, a huge commodity as it stands in baseball. Sacrificing someone that could potentially anchor your rotation for a decade is foolish.

There are zero good arguments to put Joba in the pen. Give him the opportunity to fail as a starter. The worst thing that happens is we probably wind up with our next closer if he does.

When Yankee fans see Melancon, all this whining about Joba to the pen will stop.

That really is the key. If the Yankees pen is set and Mo doesn't have to be over worked, then Joba in the rotation is a no-brainer.

A lot of us (myself included) are more skeptical about the pen. Hopefully it isn't an issue because Joba as a 5th starter is just SICK.

Joba Chamberlain pitching in the rotation isn't simply about whether the team needs him there or not. We have someone who has demonstrated on the ML level the potential to be a frontline SP, a huge commodity as it stands in baseball. Sacrificing someone that could potentially anchor your rotation for a decade is foolish.

There are zero good arguments to put Joba in the pen. Give him the opportunity to fail as a starter. The worst thing that happens is we probably wind up with our next closer if he does.

I've always been for Joba starting, hate when Francesa gets on his little rants about it. But the Yanks definitely have to closely monitor him, which they will.

He ran out of gas as a starter, you don't need him there, and he was the best setup man around. This shouldn't even be debated, but Girardi will find a way to screw it up.

Exactly. Morons want Joba in the rotation. Clueless Joe is their king.

Carefull , you said the same about Hughes this time last year.

Exactly. Morons want Joba in the rotation. Clueless Joe is their king.

I hope this is a joke, but if it's not, we might as well put CC in the bullpen. I guess the Mariners are moronic for putting Brandon Morrow in the rotation, or the Rays are stupid for putting David Price in the bullpen. Seriously it absolutely ridiculous to think a guy who has ace potential, is more suited for the 8th inning role.

Sometimes I wonder, that if Joba didn't have a unique name like he does would this argument still be occurring. I feel like a lot of the 'mystique' or 'hype'(however you see it) around Joba, is because his unique name. But thats just a side thought.

I also said how dominant Joba was a few years ago.

PS. I still don't give up Hughes in a package for Santana.

If you had, Burnett money could have went to signing Manny and you'd have staff of,

Santana

CC

Wang

Joba

Pettitte

Plus you over value every Yankeee prospect which is cool. That reliever who went to the Pirates who got torched last season with the Yanks is another example.

The Nady-Marte trade were just a bunch of guys the Yankees had given up on.

Sometimes I wonder, that if Joba didn't have a unique name like he does would this argument still be occurring. I feel like a lot of the 'mystique' or 'hype'(however you see it) around Joba, is because his unique name. But thats just a side thought.

LOL, I dunno about that, but Joba being so dominant in the minors in 2007 (As a starter), is what led to the problem. Before the trade deadline it was obvious the Yankees needed some bullpen help, but instead of going outside the organization, they decided to use one of there prospects, who would of had to been shutdown before the end of year, so he didn't go over his innings limit. Joba fit that bill. Using him in the bullpen in the majors solved two problems. Keep Joba around his innings limit, and helping the major league club in the bullpen.

I blame Kyle Farsnworth for sucking so bad.

I don't care where we put Joba as long as once we make a decision, that's it for the season. None of this back and forth int he starting rotation to the bullpen stuff. If Joba is a starter, start all the way through the season and like Max said put him in the pen during the post-season. If Bruney does well this year we are talking about a 4 inning stretch that the Yankees could protect leads in the post-season.

Archived