What to do with Joba

piney

Sometimes I wonder, that if Joba didn't have a unique name like he does would this argument still be occurring. I feel like a lot of the 'mystique' or 'hype'(however you see it) around Joba, is because his unique name. But thats just a side thought.

Nah, he's a legite ACE in waiting. The fact that he started out in the Majors as a lights out 8th inning guy essentially meaning game over after 7 innings has made it debatable to some. If he can hold up, he has Seaver or Clemens like #1 potential.

If you had, Burnett money could have went to signing Manny and you'd have staff of,

Santana

CC

Wang

Joba

Pettitte

Plus you over value every Yankeee prospect which is cool. That reliever who went to the Pirates who got torched last season with the Yanks is another example.

The Nady-Marte trade were just a bunch of guys the Yankees had given up on.

Who you talking about?

Pitchers who I have touted, and have made the majors.. would be (Hughes, Joba, Robertson, Coke, and Sanchez)

Are you talking about Karstens? He's horrible, and McCutchen, he hasn't reached the majors, he's a pretty good prospect, but is already 26 years old.

Best prospect in that deal was Jose Tabata, and if the Yankees gave up on him, there stupid. He was 18 years old when he was traded. Playing vs. prospects 2-3 years older than him. He mashed the second he got to the Pirates minor league team.

Don't get me wrong, I know the guys good. I wasn't saying its all because of his name. I was jsut saying do you think people get infatuated with his name? I feel like if his name was Eric Jones, or something basic a lot of people wouldn't be so obsessed with him. I'm not saying people like us, who talk baseball everyday. But like the casual Yankee fan.

Who you talking about?

Pitchers who I have touted, and have made the majors.. would be (Hughes, Joba, Robertsos, Coke, and Sanchez)

Are you talking about Karstens? He's horrible, and McCutchen, he hasn't reachd the majors, he's a pretty good prospect, but is already 26 years old.

Best prospect in that deal was Jose Tabata, and if the Yankees gave up on him, there stupid. He was 18 years old when he was traded. Playing vs. prospects 2-3 years older than him. He mashed the second he got to the Pirates minor league team.

No the other reliever that was talked up as a potential late inning guy. Only Joba of the list you have named has actually done anything in the majors.....there's still time though.

Don't get me wrong, I know the guys good. I wasn't saying its all because of his name. I was jsut saying do you think people get infatuated with his name? I feel like if his name was Eric Jones, or something basic a lot of people wouldn't be so obsessed with him. I'm not saying people like us, who talk baseball everyday. But like the casual Yankee fan.

He's a power pitcher, people love 98 mph fast balls.

He's a power pitcher, people love 98 mph fast balls.

Haha, true.

I don't I feel like there wouldn't be as many kids running around with Joba T-shirt jerseys on if it said Jones on the back. I mean when I was at Pitchers and Catchers last year I couldn't believe how many people were wearing Joba stuff.

He cant pitch 200 innings, based on the limit, but can he even go to 180?

Why not start him out in the pen and then at some point in this season, back to a starter? This way he could still pitch as a starter in the postseason.

Do we really need to burn out the bullpen because special Joba can only go 5 innings? Sh#t doesnt make sense, sorry.

Why not?

He's probably set for 145-150 innings, they can easily work around that with him in the 5th spot. Skipping starts after days off, talking him out of the game early in blowouts, ect.

To me this is the crux of what to do with Joba this year...

obviously the Yankees goal with this guy is to be a starter...and hopefully he will succeed.

My only concern is wasting his innings in the beginning of the year.

You talk of having a long reliever in the pen to take over for Joba and to also skip his starts when the schedule permits..but that is only good in theory.

I mean, in doing that you are managing your bullpen for tomorrow.

Let's say it is a Friday night game and you have to go to the Pen in the fifth inning, and the game has mulitple lead changes and long late innings (which is common in AL games).

Now imagine Joba is starting on Saturday.

Do you manage your pen with the knowledge that "Hey, since Joba can only throw 80-100 pitches I have to be careful how I manage the Pen tonight in order to have arms ready for tomorrow."

See, saying Joba can come out after 6 innings is a nice theory, but if his pitch count goes up early he may only get 4 inning in.

To me, running a ball game like that is a negative not a positive.

I almost think they should do this year what they did last year and have Joba start in the 'pen and then move to the rotation.

Best case scenario would be Mariano not start the regular season, Joba closes for him, then when Mo comes back start to stretch Joba out a little more until he can start with a June date in mind.

This way you can ensure (hopefully) that Joba is able to pitch big games in Septemeber.

Remember, I think Joba should be a starter, but if he can only pitch 140-150 innings...well...then I think the Yankees should focus on making sure he can start games late in the year.

I hope the Yankees aren't interested in doing what they did last season, if he's going to start the year in the rotation, he should finish the year in the rotation. If he's going to start the year in the bullpen, he should finish the year in the bullpen. That stuff puts to much stress on the arm, and probably led to his shoulder tendinitis late last season. 140-150 innings is more than enough to come out of your 5th starter.

Archived