The New York Juicees.....

neckdemon

yeahandy was "just trying to rehab his shoulder faster".....lol:rolleyes:

<H1>In 'The Yankee Years,' David Cone spills juice on Joe Torre's clubhouse

By ANDY MARTINO and MICHAEL O'KEEFFE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 11:50 PM

Joe Torre claims in the new book he wrote with Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci that he didn't know his Yankee teams were fueled by steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

But in "The Yankee Years," David Cone said the players had a good idea about who was juicing. There was speculation about players who worked closely with Brian McNamee, the trainer who told the Mitchell Commission, Congress and federal investigators that Roger Clemens used steroids and human growth hormone and that Andy Pettitte used HGH.

According to the authors, players often joked about teammates who worked out with McNamee when he served as an assistant strength coach for the Yankees in 2000-2001, especially players who grew dramatically stronger, bigger and leaner in a short period of time. "He's on Mac's program," was the joke, or "He's on The Program."

"They were on his program, guys like Roger, Andy and maybe (Mike) Stanton," the book quotes Cone as saying. He says he thought McNamee "had some GNC stuff he was putting in shakes, maybe creatine or Andro or whatever you can get over the counter."

McNamee, who was interviewed last year for the book, says that he was unfamiliar with steroids until Clemens asked him to inject him with Winstrol in 1998. "I knew nothing about it until Clemens came to me and asked me to stick him in the (butt) in '98," said McNamee, who gave the same account to federal investigators looking into Clemens' alleged drug use and to the Mitchell Report.

He, too, says drug use was widespread in the Yankee clubhouse. "Some guys were open about it, some guys weren't," he was quoted as saying. "And you wouldn't believe the s--- they were taking. I mean, it was like horse--- and crap. Like they didn't know the toxicity levels. They were taking Ritalin, oral steroids. ... They were taking stuff that was bad for them. And then they're going out all night because they've got amphetamines in them, and they're drinking ..."

Torre and Cone saw McNamee as an interloper in the locker room who got a job with the Yankees without paying his dues because of his relationship with Clemens. "Mangold was Joe's guy," McNamee says of trainer Jeff Mangold, "but Roger would tell the players to go see me, not Mangold. And I hated going to work every day."

"I didn't like McNamee," Cone said in the book. "Not that he was a bad guy. I never thought he was properly vetted."

Cone's ideal trainer would have worked his way through the minor leagues like the players, and Cone thought McNamee had taken a job from somebody more deserving.

The Mitchell Report on baseball and steroids issued in December 2007 by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell identifies several members of Torre's Yankee teams as users of performance-enhancing drugs, including Clemens, Pettitte, Stanton, Chuck Knoblauch, David Justice, Kevin Brown, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Jason Grimsley, Glenallen Hill and Denny Neagle.

In his book, Torre dismisses Mitchell's investigation because two primary sources were McNamee and Kirk Radomski, the former Mets clubhouse attendant who pleaded guilty in 2007 to steroid distribution.

"You had two guys from New York doing all the talking in the Mitchell Report," Torre said. "That's why you have more information on New York players. If people want to devalue the 2000 team, is that how we lost 15 out of 18 down the stretch? We dried ourselves out and then got a heavy dose for the postseason? One thing I've learned is that people are going to feel the way they're going to feel, regardless of what happened."

</H1>

I think that most "real" baseball fans look at the decade of the 90's and agre that any records or championships that were earned during that period are "tainted" and should be stricken from record books. ;)

Even playing field. If anything it would be harder to win championships in multiple numbers then it previously was.

Even playing field. If anything it would be harder to win championships in multiple numbers then it previously was.

no one seems to get that point...if everyone was doing it...or to the tune of say 70% of ll major leaguers were on some sort of performance enhancement drugs...well..then it was basically an even playing field.

What I want to know, is why havet the baseball writers been given a free pass?

I mean, if now we hear that everyone knew people were using and just turned a blind eye, wouldn't actual journalists also have known, and therefore, possibly also turned a blind eye?

I mean, doesn't it seem strange that when steroids were in full use, no big stories were coming out about it even though by many accounts it wasn't that big of a secret?

no one seems to get that point...if everyone was doing it...or to the tune of say 70% of ll major leaguers were on some sort of performance enhancement drugs...well..then it was basically an even playing field.

What I want to know, is why havet the baseball writers been given a free pass?

I mean, if now we hear that everyone knew people were using and just turned a blind eye, wouldn't actual journalists also have known, and therefore, possibly also turned a blind eye?

I mean, doesn't it seem strange that when steroids were in full use, no big stories were coming out about it even though by many accounts it wasn't that big of a secret?

If a journalist knew it was going on when it was, they definitely would of wrote about it. They crave stuff like that. Journalists need facts though, even though everyone knew it was going on, you couldn't just pick out a player and use him as an example. You'd need cold hard fact to prove he really was.

You are saying that you are positive that all teams had equal number of players "juicing"?

How would you know that?

The whole era is tainted.

You don't know. But, on the other hand you would have to be a complete idiot if you think the Yankees had the roid marked covered it that's what you're getting at.

God forbid we accuse the almighty Mets for being on juice right? Hey, if you look up "documentation" about the OJ trail, it will say he was acquitted. Jose was playing in the 80's...I'll go on record believing the 80's was juiced up as well.

They were juiced alright, but on coke, alcohol and greenies.

Most of which I would not consider enhancers.

The documented steroid abuse first started in the late 80's, I have not seen any documentation earlier.

For my own education I would appreciate it.

They were juiced alright, but on coke, alcohol and greenies.

Most of which I would not consider enhancers.

The documented steroid abuse first started in the late 80's, I have not seen any documentation earlier.

For my own education I would appreciate it.

The Mets towel boy was selling steroids out of your clubhouse, you actually believe none of there players where on them? If so, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

The Mets towel boy was selling steroids out of your clubhouse, you actually believe none of there players where on them? If so, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

When did I say that?

Radomski was only a 16 year old ball boy in '86.

He was introduced to steroids when he started weight lifting later in his career with the Mets.

Dykstra, Segui, among other Mets have been implicated.

Again, my question points to any steroid use as early as '86. I have found none.

When did it start?

When did I say that?

He was introduced to steroids when he started weight lifting later in his career with the Mets.

Again, my question points to any steroid use as early as '86. I have found none.

When did it start?

This is like what came first the chicken or the egg routine. In your eyes, if the Yanks won 4 in '96 and then '98-2000, they must be tainted because the 90's is documented. Hell, maybe it was during the 50's and 60's and Mantle was on that stuff too. No one has hit a ball further than him and he's the only one that hit the old facade, not once but twice in the "old" Yankee Stadium...must have been the roids.

When did I say that?

When did it start?

I dunno, and I don't care.

Why does anyone care about this stuff. To be a baseball fan in this day and age you have to be a little bit cynical. Enjoy the game, and leave the other stuff to politicians.

Tis is actually about the METS, and I asked for documentation to juiding as early as '86.

YOU made it about the Yanekkes.

I know Nightstalker, any moment I expect you to scream "26" and storm off.

No, I know your game only too well now. I don't have to tell you about the "26"...it's forever in your mind. You bring it up more than I ever have.

This is like what came first the chicken or the egg routine. In your eyes, if the Yanks won 4 in '96 and then '98-2000, they must be tainted because the 90's is documented. Hell, maybe it was during the 50's and 60's and Mantle was on that stuff too. No one has hit a ball further than him and he's the only one that hit the old facade, not once but twice in the "old" Yankee Stadium...must have been the roids.

Your post is rather silly-There is documentation to Yankees (and Mets! and all other teams) related to juicing in baseball in teh 90's.

I ask for any documentation linking it back to the mid 80's, and you treat this as some sort of childish exercise.

Either there is documentation, or there is not. I have not seen it, and would like to be educated on the matter.

Your post is rather silly-There is documentation to Yankees (and Mets! and all other teams) related to juicing in baseball in teh 90's.

I ask for any documentation linking it back to the mid 80's, and you treat this as some sort of childish exercise.

Either there is documentation, or there is not. I have not seen it, and would like to be educated on the matter.

It is a childish exercise with you. If there isn't documentation, that means there wasn't any in the 80's...okay, got it. If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise? Only if you're there to document it, right Scotty?

Archived